Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Need Yankee Swap gift ideas

Heading to my office Christmas party later this afternoon and I need another Yankee Swap gift. I bought one bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey (my husband wants to bring THAT home) but I need another gift. What do you think? BTW- the party is at someone's house and I work with 4 surgeons, 2 PA's and a Nurse Practitioner.

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I bought some Yankee Swap gifts, too. One that might work here is a bag of coffee and a really nice travel mug. (I did Dunkin Donuts coffee.) You could throw in one other thing if you want to spice it up, maybe some Chai tea? What is your limit, $20?

Another thing I saw that was cool was a tripod flashlight that I thought men would like (and DH agreed - would come in handy). Those were also around $20 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

And just to throw in a couple of other ideas (I was thinking of starting a Yankee Swap thread too, lol) - movie tickets and candy boxes; for kids a snow tube. Those are basically my gifts. I needed them to be unisex as well (so I didn't get the flashlight after all but might still pick one up for DH).

Have fun!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I bought some Yankee Swap gifts, too. One that might work here is a bag of coffee and a really nice travel mug. (I did Dunkin Donuts coffee.) You could throw in one other thing if you want to spice it up, maybe some Chai tea? What is your limit, $20?

Another thing I saw that was cool was a tripod flashlight that I thought men would like (and DH agreed - would come in handy). Those were also around $20 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

And just to throw in a couple of other ideas (I was thinking of starting a Yankee Swap thread too, lol) - movie tickets and candy boxes; for kids a snow tube. Those are basically my gifts. I needed them to be unisex as well (so I didn't get the flashlight after all but might still pick one up for DH).

Have fun!
Bed Bath and Beyond! I think I'll go there this morning- great idea!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Chia Pet.....Snuggy......Clap on, Clap off, The Clapper!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
amid chaos
DIS Veteran

The one that was "stolen" the most in the yankee swap I attended this week was a stack of lottery tickets.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We usually swap the WRAPPED gift, so the wrapping is REALLY important. We don't unwrap until the end. I love it that way, so much more fun!!! The party invite specifies to bring a fun gift, either used or under $10. Most of the time, if the gift is something used and tacky, they will include a gift card with it.

The gift that was stolen the most at my CHURCH youth leader party was in a flat screen TV box. I emphasize church, because those people are vicious with their stealing!!

The best gift that night, though, once opened, was a huge fish pillow from Cabella's. It was awesome!! There were also a couple of those animated Christmas things- you know, the ones that dance and play music. Those are always good for a laugh. And at that party, there has been a set of Christmas dinnerware (used) that has been going around every year for the past 4 or 5 years. I have learned to stay away from the heavy box, but the new volunteers don't know that yet. It is pretty funny!! And there was also a box of rocks...and under the rocks was a gift card. The recipient's expression was priceless when he opened it- I got ROCKS!

Booze goes over pretty well too....my preschool party always has a bottle or two, and liquor store gift cards, and those get stolen a lot.

My DS16 goes to a High School leader party (church) every year too, and again, the wrapping is important. He wrapped his gift in Christmas paper, and then wrapped it in bubble wrap, and shrink wrap. That one was stolen the most! Last year, he wrapped his gift in a Yeungling beer box. He just put a big bow on it, and walked in carrying it on his shoulder. It was quite funny....stolen a lot too! Last year, his gift was a Spongebob spin brush, and this year, a bubble gum machine. We love 5 Below for cheap, fun gifts.

Next year, I decided that whatever I bring, I am wrapping in a box made of Lego.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP

Last edited by marcyinPA; 12-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Wrapping is important. We had fun at our office swap -- one larger box was wrapped in dark brown paper -- passed along amongst the men, because it was the most "manly" gift. Inside? A pink sparkly basket full of bubble bath, soaps and lotions.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

....boy, was I WA-A-A-A-AY off!! I thought it was a gift exchange for things like:

or

July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
maslex
DIS Veteran

^ that's funny
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....boy, was I WA-A-A-A-AY off!! I thought it was a gift exchange for things like:

or

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
^ that's funny
Nobody at this party would keep those gifts... LOL

Old 12-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

one year for my work, I did a new DVD that just came out in a pop corn bucket with candy and chocolates.

nice olive oils infused with garlic or other spices are a good one too.

At one office party, the hottest gift was a pizza stone. Everyone wanted that thing.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
DisneySarah80
DIS Veteran

Booze always goes over well. I'm not sure what a Yankee swap is exactly, but any secret santa we have done where people get the steel gifts from someone - The booze always goes around as many times as possible.
DisneySarah80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: