Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #76
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Chapter 2: Rock This Town
(Day 2 - Tuesday)

Part 3: From On High

I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights. Climbing up on my roof is rather unnerving, so I generally won’t do it. But being strapped into a harness and dangling over the ocean from a parachute… that was fun. What’s the difference? It’s that “unprotected” part of it. If there’s really nothing there that will keep a bad step from allowing you to reconfirm the constant rate of acceleration due to gravity, then I’m going to by bypassing the experiment. If I have a fighting chance… I’m in. It’s not a matter of fighting off vertigo; it’s just a simple survival mechanism. This is why I was really looking forward to our next stop (more so then some).

The journey commences form the sidewalks along Rockefeller plaza, barely a few meters above sea level.

With the whole contingent lined up by bus (mostly so we could get good headcounts of the kids, and let them go on up first) we made our way toward the 50th Street entrance of the GE Building to start the assent to the “Top of the Rock”.

Once inside, there is still a good bit of back and forth along corridors and up a couple of stairways. There are only so many elevators and the upper floors also only hold so many folks, so they have to spread everyone out. As you’re waiting you get a nice view of the street below and of Radio City Music Hall.

Someone else got a better shot of the front of this same building later on in the trip (so you get to see it here).

There’s a TSA style security station to get through (less the shoe check) then you can roam through a number of exhibits that look into the history and construction of the Rock Center complex. One of the cooler exhibits in this section is the “Beam Walk”

Here is an image form their website that illustrates what this looks like a little bit more clearly.

There is actually an I-Beam set into the floor with acrylic panels on either side. How deep the pit beneath it is I can’t say exactly, but there is some depth to it and there is a projected image of the rest of the buildings steel skeleton disappearing off into the distance beneath you.

Trying to walk across and actually staying on the beam is a little interesting (even though you know there’s no way to fall through, it still plays with you eyes a might). On the other side of this you’ll be ushered into a small theater where they’re playing a ten-ish minute film loop about the designing of the complex, the artwork throughout and what sites you’ll encounter as you continue through the tour. As themeing goes, it’s all on par with anything in the World Showcase.

After about once through the film loop, our row was lead from the theater and to a bank of express elevators. There’s an attendant who counts out the passengers and stages you in front on one of these innocent looking sets of sliding doors (just like being in the basement of the ToT waiting for the next service lift). Doors open… in you go… everything looks normal… doors close… light go out… techno sound track starts up… ceiling goes transparent and you quickly start to rise sixty odd stories with a view of the shaft lined in blue lights

It’s actually kind’a cool. I had a chance to ride an elevator to the top of the Empire State Building once about twenty years ago… this one was considerably faster (there were about fifteen fewer floors to traverse, but it was still a lot quicker). You get dropped off on the 67th floor. There are more exhibits and a few shops here. Just walk on around the floor and take the escalator up one more story and you’ve reach the observation deck…

They completed a renovation of this entire area in 2005

“Shut up already and show us the view dag-nab-it!!!

Oh… all right. I’ve kept you waiting kept you waiting long enough…

Voilà

That’s Central Park stretching off toward the north, with the Hudson at the top left and the Bronx way off behind the fog and mist at the top of the image. Looking down over the east side ledge, St Patrick’s is now small enough to hide behind your thumb.

I’ll shift the angle just a might and give you a better view of Midtown-East, the East River and Queens.

Looking southeast… we get a better view of the East River (which is actually an inlet) Lower Manhattan, the Williamsburg Bridge and Brooklyn. Oh yah… there’s this other rather tall building there on the right as well.

The next one is looking southwest toward the Upper Bay. That’s Ellis Island in the middle and Liberty Island just beyond.

Since I made my way around most of the compass points, we might as well take a gander back to the west toward the Hudson River and Jersey.

Being as we did com all this way just to see what we could see, I suspect that we should probably get a picture to prove it…

And one of the sisters

And of course the family shot that I’d already tossed out back on the first page…

Max’s group just happened to be at the top at the same time as we were. Generally, we try not to interfere with him when he’s around his friends, but this was not an opportunity that we’d be getting again anytime in the near.

The view from on high was spectacular and the pictures really don’t do it any justice. Were it a clearer day, we’d have been able to see considerably farther in the distance, but as it was we’d been relatively lucky to have avoided getting rained on all day. That was just about to come to an end though… at least I did get a few good pictures before the clouds finally opened up for the rest of the day.

OK, just one more (slightly artsy-fartsy) image of the park framed by some of the buildings trim work…

I like that one, but it would have been a whole lot better without all the mist and muck in the air. OK… I’ll leave y’all alone now, besides… it’s really starting to poor down. I think we need to come up with a new plan. The walk around the viewing deck here is getting a might slick. No sense in tempting fate here…

GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #77
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights.
When do we get to the original content in this update?

Quote:
The journey commences form the sidewalks along Rockefeller plaza, barely a few meters above sea level.
Ok, there it is. That didn't take too long.

Quote:
With the whole contingent lined up by bus (mostly so we could get good headcounts of the kids, and let them go on up first) we made our way toward the 50th Street entrance of the GE Building to start the assent to the “Top of the Rock”.
I take it that you didn't lose any yet?

Quote:
As you’re waiting you get a nice view of the street below and of Radio City Music Hall.
Nice view. Another NYC landmark I'd like to see sometime.

Quote:
One of the cooler exhibits in this section is the “Beam Walk”
How did you feel about this one?

Quote:
On the other side of this you’ll be ushered into a small theater where they’re playing a ten-ish minute film loop about the designing of the complex, the artwork throughout and what sites you’ll encounter as you continue through the tour. As themeing goes, it’s all on par with anything in the World Showcase.
Hmmm... you leave an attraction and enter a theater... on par with World Showcase.

Sounds like Norway!

Quote:
There’s an attendant who counts out the passengers and stages you in front on one of these innocent looking sets of sliding doors (just like being in the basement of the ToT waiting for the next service lift).
Are they wearing creepy looking bell hop uniforms?

Quote:
Doors open… in you go… everything looks normal… doors close… light go out… techno sound track starts up… ceiling goes transparent and you quickly start to rise sixty odd stories with a view of the shaft lined in blue lights
Mark would never go on it. How many times did it drop and shoot back up?

Oh... and techno sound track????

Quote:
this one was considerably faster
It's that TOT technology at work.

Great pictures, both of the view and the family. Having never been to NYC myself, seeing Central Park from that vantage point kind of caught me a bit by surprise. I guess I never realized how big the park is. I didn't realize there was that much of NYC that wasn't covered by concrete or asphalt.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #78
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights. Climbing up on my roof is rather unnerving, so I generally won’t do it. But being strapped into a harness and dangling over the ocean from a parachute… that was fun. What’s the difference? It’s that “unprotected” part of it. If there’s really nothing there that will keep a bad step from allowing you to reconfirm the constant rate of acceleration due to gravity, then I’m going to by bypassing the experiment.
It's not the fall that concerns me - it's the sudden stop at the end.
or
Don't worry, I'm OK. The ground broke my fall.

Quote:
Hey now, we're still in America. Don't be using that fancy-pants "metric system" Now, how high were you to those of us that still believe in American values? (And by "values" I mean thumbing our noses at a superior measuring system used by the rest of the world and using our antiquated, hard to understand system because we just don't feel like changing.)

Quote:
There’s a TSA style security station to get through (less the shoe check) then you can roam through a number of exhibits that look into the history and construction of the Rock Center complex.
Oooo...bombarded with radiation and then sent to the top of a tall building. This can't end well.

Quote:
Trying to walk across and actually staying on the beam is a little interesting (even though you know there’s no way to fall through, it still plays with you eyes a might).
Similar to the SkyDeck at Willis Tower (Formerly "Sears Tower", currently "Big Willy") in Chicago. Only here, there is a way to fall through - however remote it is.

Quote:
Doors open… in you go… everything looks normal… doors close… light go out… techno sound track starts up… ceiling goes transparent and you quickly start to rise sixty odd stories with a view of the shaft lined in blue lights
THAT is cool! Sort of like how the Haunted Mansion's stretching room ceiling disappears, but without the hanging corpse.

Quote:
Looking down over the east side ledge, St Patrick’s is now small enough to hide behind your thumb.
I tried this on the photograph, and it worked. Independent Verification!

Quote:
Max’s group just happened to be at the top at the same time as we were. Generally, we try not to interfere with him when he’s around his friends, but this was not an opportunity that we’d be getting again anytime in the near.
That's certainly one approach, but I see myself as being the type of parent that constantly hangs out with his children and their friends, for no other reason to embarrass the living daylights out of them. They can have their payback when they pick my nursing home.

Awesome pictures, Rob!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #79
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I believe that I’ve mentioned in a previous TR, that I don’t much like “unprotected” heights. Climbing up on my roof is rather unnerving, so I generally won’t do it. But being strapped into a harness and dangling over the ocean from a parachute… that was fun. What’s the difference? It’s that “unprotected” part of it. If there’s really nothing there that will keep a bad step from allowing you to reconfirm the constant rate of acceleration due to gravity, then I’m going to by bypassing the experiment. If I have a fighting chance… I’m in. It’s not a matter of fighting off vertigo; it’s just a simple survival mechanism. This is why I was really looking forward to our next stop (more so then some).
Why do I see ToT jokes in my future for some reason?

I'm actually ok with heights, and even have been ok in "unprotected" situations. It's the actual sensation of falling that I can't stand.

Quote:
Once inside, there is still a good bit of back and forth along corridors and up a couple of stairways. There are only so many elevators and the upper floors also only hold so many folks, so they have to spread everyone out. As you’re waiting you get a nice view of the street below and of Radio City Music Hall.
Sounds like they need some interactive games along the queue.

Quote:
One of the cooler exhibits in this section is the “Beam Walk”
That does look cool!

Quote:
There is actually an I-Beam set into the floor with acrylic panels on either side. How deep the pit beneath it is I can’t say exactly, but there is some depth to it and there is a projected image of the rest of the buildings steel skeleton disappearing off into the distance beneath you.
The Pit of Despair...

Quote:
On the other side of this you’ll be ushered into a small theater where they’re playing a ten-ish minute film loop about the designing of the complex, the artwork throughout and what sites you’ll encounter as you continue through the tour. As themeing goes, it’s all on par with anything in the World Showcase.
So was the film made in 1974? Does it show lots of people with mullets?

Quote:
There’s an attendant who counts out the passengers and stages you in front on one of these innocent looking sets of sliding doors (just like being in the basement of the ToT waiting for the next service lift).
You had to go there.

I don't mind going UP fairly quickly.

Quote:
Very nice!

Quote:
The next one is looking southwest toward the Upper Bay. That’s Ellis Island in the middle and Liberty Island just beyond.
And the other building on the dock in front of Ellis Island is the departure point for the ferry to Ellis and Liberty Islands from Liberty State Park in NJ. (Sorry, that trip is still fresh in my mind)

Quote:
And of course the family shot that I’d already tossed out back on the first page…

Quote:
Were it a clearer day, we’d have been able to see considerably farther in the distance, but as it was we’d been relatively lucky to have avoided getting rained on all day. That was just about to come to an end though… at least I did get a few good pictures before the clouds finally opened up for the rest of the day.
Even with the bad weather, I think I need to get my family up there someday. We really haven't done much in NYC as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Hey now, we're still in America. Don't be using that fancy-pants "metric system" Now, how high were you to those of us that still believe in American values? (And by "values" I mean thumbing our noses at a superior measuring system used by the rest of the world and using our antiquated, hard to understand system because we just don't feel like changing.)
Delaware had a law on the books that we had to change to the metric system by a certain date. So, being the pro-active department that we are, we made a huge effort to change all of our policies, standards, design plans, even road signs over to metric. It was a herculean effort, but we pulled it off. Then the politicians decided they didn't like it and drafted a law sending us back to the old system.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #80
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_oblivious View Post
delaware had a law on the books that we had to change to the metric system by a certain date. So, being the pro-active department that we are, we made a huge effort to change all of our policies, standards, design plans, even road signs over to metric. It was a herculean effort, but we pulled it off. Then the politicians decided they didn't like it and drafted a law sending us back to the old system.
usa! usa! usa!

EDIT: Clearly, the DIS forbids typing "U" "S" and "A" in all caps right in a row. Yikes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #81
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
usa! usa! usa!

EDIT: Clearly, the DIS forbids typing "U" "S" and "A" in all caps right in a row. Yikes
Clearly, the DIS is run by the terrorists.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #82
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:

(Day 2 - Tuesday)

Part 3: From On High

Looking southeast… we get a better view of the East River (which is actually an inlet) Lower Manhattan, the Williamsburg Bridge and Brooklyn. Oh yah… there’s this other rather tall building there on the right as well.

Like the pictures. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. Unfortunately something missing from this picture that was further downtown.

That is DD at the WTC less than a month before 9-11.

The Top reopened just before I left NY. Next trip up there.

Also suffer from unprotected heights syndrome. Queasy just looking at this...

Last edited by cj9200; 01-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #83
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
usa! usa! usa!

Test: CANADA!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #84
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
When do we get to the original content in this update?

Ok, there it is. That didn't take too long.
Impatient are we? You know that you really need to be ignoring my commentary in the first place…

Right?

Quote:
I take it that you didn't lose any yet?

Not as of yet…

Actually we did rather well on that front.
There was one close call on Friday, but that was it.

Quote:
How did you feel about this one?
Knowing there was no way to fall, it should have been a cinch. But playing along and trying to stay on the beam while looking down at their clever optical illusion still put a few butterflies in my belly. There were more then a few folks that walked around it altogether.

Quote:
Hmmm... you leave an attraction and enter a theater... on par with World Showcase.
Sounds like Norway!

You’re closer then you know…

Quote:
Are they wearing creepy looking bell hop uniforms?

Creepy is a matter of perception, but they were in uniform.

Quote:
Mark would never go on it. How many times did it drop and shoot back up?

Oh... and techno sound track????
Only two or three, but the one thirty story drop was quite exciting.

Quote:
Great pictures, both of the view and the family. Having never been to NYC myself, seeing Central Park from that vantage point kind of caught me a bit by surprise. I guess I never realized how big the park is. I didn't realize there was that much of NYC that wasn't covered by concrete or asphalt.
Thanks! The first time I encountered Central Park I was rather surprised as well. But if you weren’t near it or one of the other verdant squares, then there was a distinct lack of the color green to the place.

Quote:

It's not the fall that concerns me - it's the sudden stop at the end.
or
Don't worry, I'm OK. The ground broke my fall.

There is nothing theoretical about the physics involved here

Quote:
You make a good point, but to be a purest, I really should have made that measurement in cubits.

Quote:
Oooo...bombarded with radiation and then sent to the top of a tall building. This can't end well.
It’s all good. The mutations caused by the radiation gave us enough temporary superpowers to survive anything they might throw at us.

Quote:
Similar to the SkyDeck at Willis Tower (Formerly "Sears Tower", currently "Big Willy") in Chicago. Only here, there is a way to fall through - however remote it is.
That’s a whole different critter. I’d like to tour that as well, but we’ll have to see whether or not I actually walk out onto the thing. I suspect that the answer is probably… but I ain’t takin’ bets on it.

Quote:
THAT is cool! Sort of like how the Haunted Mansion's stretching room ceiling disappears, but without the hanging corpse.
The corpse may have been hanging from beneath the elevator, but from our vantage point, we’d never have known about it. Now if they put a “Big Willy” type transparent floor on the elevator…

I believe that there’d be a whole lot more folks loosing their mind on that particular ride once it changed from opaque to clear.

Quote:
I tried this on the photograph, and it worked. Independent Verification!
Thanks professor.

With your backing, now I should be able to apply for that grant.

Quote:
That's certainly one approach, but I see myself as being the type of parent that constantly hangs out with his children and their friends, for no other reason to embarrass the living daylights out of them. They can have their payback when they pick my nursing home.

And I assure you… they will.

Quote:
Awesome pictures, Rob!
Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #85
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Why do I see ToT jokes in my future for some reason?
Unavoidable considering the company you keep.
Maybe it’s that last bit there which needs reviewing.

Quote:
I'm actually ok with heights, and even have been ok in "unprotected" situations. It's the actual sensation of falling that I can't stand.
I’m with you on that one. This leads me to be a bit picky when it comes to roller coasters. I’m all about speed and force… airtime however… not so much.

Quote:
Sounds like they need some interactive games along the queue.
Couldn’t hurt. Of course making a point to see this particular attraction at some time other then when there’s a 300 person tour group waiting in line may alleviate most of the issues.

Most of our wait times this week were directly related to the fact that we were the ones clogging up the works.

Quote:
That does look cool!
It’s a neat effect.
I wasn’t expecting anything at all but an elevator ride to the top. Their little queue area was a surprise and a bonus at the same time.

Quote:
The Pit of Despair...
There are probable a number of NY psychologists that send their patents with height issues to see that little exhibit as a method of acclimation.

Quote:
So was the film made in 1974? Does it show lots of people with mullets?
Naaaa… They’ve updated it just a might.
Actually… the observation deck was closed to the public from about 1985 up to around 2005. The last time I was in NY prior to this trip, I couldn’t have gone up there.

Quote:
You had to go there.
I don't mind going UP fairly quickly.
Sorry about that… but it does supply a proper frame of reference
(for most Disney readers anyway).

Quote:
And the other building on the dock in front of Ellis Island is the departure point for the ferry to Ellis and Liberty Islands from Liberty State Park in NJ. (Sorry, that trip is still fresh in my mind)
Your good… It’s not as if I’ve never tossed a comment or extra detail into the middle of one of your TRs before (actually I believe I do that regularly).

Besides… you are correct sir. However I’ll wait and talk about our perspective of that spot on the horizon a bit later on in the trip.

Quote:
Even with the bad weather, I think I need to get my family up there someday. We really haven't done much in NYC as yet.
We saw much, but we saw some of it rather quickly. I’ve already decided that I need to go back and re-see a couple of things and add a number of other things into the mix as well.

Quote:
Delaware had a law on the books that we had to change to the metric system by a certain date. So, being the pro-active department that we are, we made a huge effort to change all of our policies, standards, design plans, even road signs over to metric. It was a herculean effort, but we pulled it off. Then the politicians decided they didn't like it and drafted a law sending us back to the old system.
I remember there being a huge focus on learning it w-a-y back when I was in elementary and middle school. But by the time I got into high school, the notion of switching had long since fallen out of favor. From then on it only showed up in Chemistry to simplify the math.

Quote:
usa! usa! usa!

Whoa…that’s an unfortunate choice on the part of our hosts.

Let’s try it again…

USA! USA! USA!

Hummm… It let me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Like the pictures. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. Unfortunately something missing from this picture that was further downtown.
Yah… they should have been standing on the very right edge of that image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
That is DD at the WTC less than a month before 9-11.
Great photo! Thanks for sharing.

Since I know “Crash” from more recent pictures it’s nice to see how she has grown in that time.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #86
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

(Day 2 - Tuesday)

Part 4: A Change in Direction

Plan B…

That common American phrase has its origins in the Civil War. From Ulysses Grant’s strategy planning sessions specifically. Grant liked options. Whenever his staff would discuss their next move, he expected them to have at least three or four alternatives for any proposal. When those alternatives were discussed they would be referred to as “Plan-A, Plan-B, Plan-C” and so on. The members of the press corps picked up on this nomenclature and wrote it into their accounts of the battles. In short order this synonym for “back up plan” worked its way into the vernacular. Which is a handy thing right about now as far as I’m concerned.

Why?

Because the onset of some considerably more persistent rain…

…was forcing us to quickly abandon our Plan-A of remaining out of doors and heading on up to the completely unprotected 70th floor observation deck.

Yah I know that picture ain’t from our visit or even from my lifetime… but it is of the 70th floor at The Rock and you get a look at the RMS Queen Mary being escorted along the Hudson River as a bonus. As such, I rather like the image, so I decided to inflict it upon everyone here.

My TR… My prerogative…

Anyway… we first chose to retreat into the little 69th floor gift shop, but the operative word here is little. As such, it was a might crowded and didn’t take terribly long to rummage through. Another port in the storm up at The Top is a light and sound installation called “The Breezeway”.

This is part light show, part “modern art”, and part video game. There are sensors built into the room that identify individuals as they enter the space.

Once it has you locked in, you are assigned a color and that color will follow you around the room as you move form place to place. It also reacts to speed and type of motion. There is even a sign inviting you to “Walk, Move, Dance, be Part of the Experience”. Every so often it will reset itself by bathing the entire room in each of its main colors and then reassigning new hues to each person.

The kids were having a good bit of fun with this funky addition to an otherwise scenic attraction.

Here’s a small video I found out there on the “inter-webs” that will let you see and hear a bit of what’s going on…

The Breezeway also overlooks a sitting area on the 68th floor where a lot of the kids were waiting out the rainsquall

Of course, if you give a teenager that large an audience and that much glass to stand in front of… their going to have to start showing off…

I mean… this just goes without saying.

After a while it became clear that this time the rain just wasn’t going to stop as it had done the rest of the day. We’d gotten a few good pictures, bought us a trinket or two, played around in the breezeway a bit and watched the kids act like… well… kids. That’s about all we were going to accomplish for now, so it was decided that we might as well head back down to street level and poke around in a shop or two. Besides, we’d be needing to meet up for dinner in a bit.

The trip back down from the summit to terra firma is pretty much the same as the assent. I found another little vid of this process (just incase you’re interested)

After a bit of mindless shopping my watch was telling me that we probably should head back to the plaza and queue up for the bus ride over toward dinner.

It was still raining pretty steady so we were all huddling as best as we could beneath the few umbrellas that made the trek into the city with us that day. I was able to keep the girls fairly dry, but by the time our coaches had made their way through the early evening traffic, my coat was just about completely soaked through. Oh well… I’d dry out across the rest of the evening, but for now, I just had to deal with it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dinner tonight was going to be at a little spot off Times Square called “Dallas BBQ”

Did I say little? I meant to say cravenness. Our five busloads of folk didn’t even put a dent in the seating capacity of this eatery. They put the adults up on the third floor

And the kids down on the second and way off in an extra dinning room that was over top of the business next door

This place was like much of what we encountered in New York. What it looked like on the outside was completely unrelated to what it was on the inside. Small entryways lead to vast spaces… massive expanses of glass and signage hide small establishments tucked into the corner of an otherwise vacant floor. Nothing is as it first appears. You have to go in and find out what’s really there before you know if it’s any good or not

Hummmm… this sounds a whole lot like the way we ought to be approaching life in the first place, now don’t it?

As for the food… it was good. Not “to dye for”, but pretty good. I’ve no doubt that there are for more enticing offering within the confines of Old New Amsterdam, but these folks could accommodate out fairly hefty crowd with no trouble at all and they offered up some decent (and affordable) barbeque.

Now there are actually a couple of rather tender and smoky ribs buried underneath all those fries there (although the chicken wasn’t bad either), so I’m going to dig those bad boys out of there and gnaw on ‘em for a bit.

I’ll meet y’all down on 42nd Street right after dinner.

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 02-07-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #87
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Actually we did rather well on that front.
There was one close call on Friday, but that was it.
Well, that's not bad. If you had lost one on Friday, at least the parade was over, so you wouldn't have to worry about filling any gaps in the marching order.

Quote:
That common American phrase has its origins in the Civil War. From Ulysses Grant’s strategy planning sessions specifically. Grant liked options. Whenever his staff would discuss their next move, he expected them to have at least three or four alternatives for any proposal. When those alternatives were discussed they would be referred to as “Plan-A, Plan-B, Plan-C” and so on. The members of the press corps picked up on this nomenclature and wrote it into their accounts of the battles. In short order this synonym for “back up plan” worked its way into the vernacular. Which is a handy thing right about now as far as I’m concerned.
You've never lost a game of Trivial Pursuit, have you?

Quote:
…was forcing us to quickly abandon our Plan-A of remaining out of doors and heading on up to the completely unprotected 70th floor observation deck.
You mean you didn't want to stand outside on the 70th floor in the middle of a rain storm?

Quote:
Once it has you locked in, you are assigned a color and that color will follow you around the room as you move form place to place. It also reacts to speed and type of motion. There is even a sign inviting you to “Walk, Move, Dance, be Part of the Experience”. Every so often it will reset itself by bathing the entire room in each of its main colors and then reassigning new hues to each person.
Looks kind of cool!

Quote:
Oh well… I’d dry out across the rest of the evening, but for now, I just had to deal with it.
Drying out was probably not an easy task in NYC in November. At least you shouldn't have to deal with AC in the restaurant.

Quote:
Dinner tonight was going to be at a little spot off Times Square called “Dallas BBQ”
Hmmm... A group from the southeast, goes to NYC and eats Dallas BBQ.

Quote:
Did I say little? I meant to say cravenness. Our five busloads of folk didn’t even put a dent in the seating capacity of this eatery. They put the adults up on the third floor
Wow, that place is huge! I guess there are probably quite a few busloads of tourists in NYC everyday and they need to eat too. This place looks like it can handle a few of them.

Quote:
Hummmm… this sounds a whole lot like the way we ought to be approaching life in the first place, now don’t it?
Trivia and philosophy. You're offering just about everything in this update.

Quote:
Now there are actually a couple of rather tender and smoky ribs buried underneath all those fries there (although the chicken wasn’t bad either), so I’m going to dig those bad boys out of there and gnaw on ‘em for a bit.
MMMM... ribs. I might have to splurge and get some for lunch.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #88
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Well, that's not bad. If you had lost one on Friday, at least the parade was over, so you wouldn't have to worry about filling any gaps in the marching order.
Can’t argue that logic

The quick story is that some folks thought that one of their friends got left behind at a previous stop, but it turned out that the boy was just so tired that he was off in a corner snoozing and no one noticed him there.

Considering the amount of walking we did as a group though out the Manhattan area, it’s amazing that we did keep everyone together. There will be a coupe of stories on that topic as we roll on through the next couple of days.

Quote:
You've never lost a game of Trivial Pursuit, have you?
Not many, but… it does matter what category and which addition you’re playing.
If the questions are heavy on recent pop-culture…
I’m pretty much up the creek.

Quote:
You mean you didn't want to stand outside on the 70th floor in the middle of a rain storm?
Call me foolish

Quote:
Looks kind of cool!
Kind’a cool is about right (for me). The kids like it a lot.

Quote:
Drying out was probably not an easy task in NYC in November. At least you shouldn't have to deal with AC in the restaurant.
A/C would have been worse, but I really never dried out completely the rest of the evening.

Quote:
Hmmm... A group from the southeast, goes to NYC and eats Dallas BBQ.

Wow, that place is huge! I guess there are probably quite a few busloads of tourists in NYC everyday and they need to eat too. This place looks like it can handle a few of them.
And that’s why we went. A true NY dinning experience would have been great, but we really had to stay with places that were a mix of affordable and spacious, so mostof our meals were good, but not spectacular.

Quote:
Trivia and philosophy. You're offering just about everything in this update.
Just another service I offer.

Quote:
MMMM... ribs. I might have to splurge and get some for lunch.
Yes… yes you should.
And were you down here I’d take you out to my favorite spot to gnaw on some ribs.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #89
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
When those alternatives were discussed they would be referred to as “Plan-A, Plan-B, Plan-C” and so on. The members of the press corps picked up on this nomenclature and wrote it into their accounts of the battles. In short order this synonym for “back up plan” worked its way into the vernacular.
Don't ever stop doing these little tangents. They're great.

Quote:
NYC could have done a much better job scheduling these weather events. Couldn't the local weather union go on strike?

Quote:
Um...ok.

Quote:
Of course, if you give a teenager that large an audience and that much glass to stand in front of… their going to have to start showing off…
Note the male of the species, oddly comfortable in his natural habitat.

Quote:
The trip back down from the summit to terra firma is pretty much the same as the assent. I found another little vid of this process (just incase you’re interested)
Cool...

Quote:
I was able to keep the girls fairly dry, but by the time our coaches had made their way through the early evening traffic, my coat was just about completely soaked through. Oh well… I’d dry out across the rest of the evening, but for now, I just had to deal with it.
Very gentlemanly of you, sir.

Quote:
Because when you go to NYC, you think of Dallas. Actually, BBQ does sound good. As long as they don't have Cowboys paraphernalia around the restaurant.

Quote:
Nothing is as it first appears. You have to go in and find out what’s really there before you know if it’s any good or not

I like the way you think there.

Quote:
That doesn't look too shabby.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #90
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
I hate it when weather rolls in.

Quote:
Maybe you'd be above the rain up there? Did you even consider that?

Quote:
Yah I know that picture ain’t from our visit or even from my lifetime… but it is of the 70th floor at The Rock and you get a look at the RMS Queen Mary being escorted along the Hudson River as a bonus. As such, I rather like the image, so I decided to inflict it upon everyone here.

My TR… My prerogative…
I like the picture.

Quote:
This is part light show, part “modern art”, and part video game. There are sensors built into the room that identify individuals as they enter the space.
Sounds like fun!

Quote:
Every so often it will reset itself by bathing the entire room in each of its main colors and then reassigning new hues to each person.
This must be the "Game Over" section of the "part video game" you mentioned.

Quote:
I just hope no cheeks were pressed to glass. You know what cheeks I'm referring to.
Quote:
It was still raining pretty steady so we were all huddling as best as we could beneath the few umbrellas that made the trek into the city with us that day.
Ironic. You're all huddled around like a herd of cattle...and you're going to a BBQ place for dinner.

Quote:

And the kids down on the second and way off in an extra dinning room that was over top of the business next door
Good thinking. Separate the supervisors from their charges.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: