DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #751
HappyArtist
Earning My Ears

Hey thanks! I will have to check those places out!

What about the shells? From what I heard, you have to get up at sunrise to find them because the commercial shell places snatch them up then.
Family Trip #5!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #752
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Do they have any vegetarian option at Shutters during their Pirate Character Dinner? We love to go but we don't eat meat

-February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian
-August: Vero Beach

-Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #753
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPL View Post
Do they have any vegetarian option at Shutters during their Pirate Character Dinner? We love to go but we don't eat meat
Just let them know when you check in - they will accommodate many different dietary needs.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #754
Firegerry
Earning My Ears

Smile Restaurants in Vero Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikimimi View Post
(I wish there were a tongue in cheek emoticon)

You are headed south and said "not that fried stuff"

As a southern born and bred lady who prefers broiled or grilled seafood (though I appreciate the true Calabash style and the lightly breaded de jonghe style) I would suggest Captain Hiram's. The seafood buffet at Shutters is just that - a buffet, so as buffets can go, things get dry or have to sitting in liquid so as not to get dry while they're on sterno. Squid Lips also has a few grilled, baked, and broiled items.
Try Mulligan's 1025 Beachland Blvd. right opposite the Ocean Grill. Very good spot.
OKW May 2012
Vero Beach '09, '10, '12
Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #755
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

What do the different colored shorts mean for staff and what does that mean for job responsibilities?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #756
The Belle of Tinker
Earning My Ears

Our family is headed to VB late September
Are there any good snorkeling areas close by. I am looking for a place that rents the equipment as well.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #757
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyGrrrl View Post
My husband and I went to squid lips and we were COMPLETELY disappointed. It was expensive for the quality (or lack thereof). I had gotten the cajun bacon wrapped scallops and the cajun spice was so overwhelming that the scallops didn't even taste like scallops. Also, I had gotten au gratin potatoes as my side and they were the BOXED powdered cheese betty crocker kind... Horrible.

We went to Ocean Grill on our actual anniversary and it was AMAZING! Right on the beach, delicious seafood (not just the fried stuff) and great service.

I haven't been to captain hiram's but I've heard good things. We were actually on our way there when we saw squid lips (it's right next to it) and thought it sounded like more fun.

I'm sure we will be checking it out this year.
We were quite happy with our meal at Squidlips, had 2 different kinds of Mahi Mahi for the adults, a lovely server and a ridiculous amount of fried shrimp for the kids. The drunken sweet potato could be a meal all by itself!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #758
starbox
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. " - Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Belle of Tinker View Post
Our family is headed to VB late September
Are there any good snorkeling areas close by. I am looking for a place that rents the equipment as well.
Bathtub Reef is about 40 minutes south of VB, but it's a great place to snorkel.http://www.beachhunter.net/florida-s...rt-florida.htm
There are no restrooms or showers at the reef, but there is a public beach with showers/restrooms just a few hundred yards south.

If you go further you can hit Dubois park: http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/locations/dubois.htm, which has wonderful facilities and reminds me of a real-life storm-a-long bay. It's probably an hour and a half north, but excellent snorkeling near the reef. A plus there is that Guanabanas is down the road for dinner: http://guanabanas.com/

Don't know anywhere to rent snorkels but you can pick up a basic set at TJ Maxx in Vero for about 20$. The resort also has a SnorkelEARS class that includes snorkels to keep (they do have adult sizes) that are good quality and reasonably priced. I think the class is around 30$

Basically the coast area from Stuart to Jupiter is largely this offshore rock reef. The snorkeling is crazy good.

• I wish I could live inside the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
  • "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought" - Walt Disney
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #759
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbox

Bathtub Reef is about 40 minutes south of VB, but it's a great place to snorkel.http://www.beachhunter.net/florida-s...rt-florida.htm
There are no restrooms or showers at the reef, but there is a public beach with showers/restrooms just a few hundred yards south.

If you go further you can hit Dubois park: http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/locations/dubois.htm, which has wonderful facilities and reminds me of a real-life storm-a-long bay. It's probably an hour and a half north, but excellent snorkeling near the reef. A plus there is that Guanabanas is down the road for dinner: http://guanabanas.com/

Don't know anywhere to rent snorkels but you can pick up a basic set at TJ Maxx in Vero for about 20$. The resort also has a SnorkelEARS class that includes snorkels to keep (they do have adult sizes) that are good quality and reasonably priced. I think the class is around 30$

Basically the coast area from Stuart to Jupiter is largely this offshore rock reef. The snorkeling is crazy good.
Check on the class schedule if you are interested, it was only offered one day the week we were there so couldn't do it. A nice set at Walmart ran 30 so the class is a good deal.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #760
starbox
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. " - Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyArtist View Post
Hey thanks! I will have to check those places out!

What about the shells? From what I heard, you have to get up at sunrise to find them because the commercial shell places snatch them up then.
Not true. Shells are all dependent on the tide - sometimes there are tons, sometimes hardly any. You can usually find lots of sea glass and shark teeth - shells tend to be broken. It's not a fabulous shell beach, but great for finding "stuff" like sea glass and even driftwood. If you walk just a bit south you hit private beaches - the beach right in front of the resort gets hit by all the resort guests but there's lots of beach that is very quiet.

I found an old class ring at VB once, and have jars of sea glass. If you do the naturalist walk in the morning, she'll help you identify the sorts of things you can find beach combing.

• "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought" - Walt Disney
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #761
starbox

Turtles!

If you love the turtles and want a chance to get up close and personal (and see hatchlings), you may want to consider a day trip to Juno Beach - the area's turtle "hospital" and rehabilitation center. It's funded in part by the Disney Conservation Fund you donate to at Animal Kingdom. It's a great facility with a museum and hospital you can view. There are lots of turtles and they have tons of hatchlings that they rescue and release. It's very worth a trip and there's a great beach right next to it! http://marinelife.org/

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #762
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Doing online check in and can't request top floor...is not a choice. I think I requested it when I made the resie, but I don't see it on any of my online info or in e-mail confirmation. I am a very light sleeper and really wanted top floor.

edit: shew...when I got to the end of online check in, top floor showed up and I also requested bld 15.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 08-09-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #763
Galahad
.....an appointment
No land lines here
Wallpaper is evil!
We call them bread butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Here's a picture with one... in front of the waverunners. Perfect for those who are sun-sensitive.

The presence of the Waverunners implies that they may be available to rent and such. Is that true? Nearby? Can't tell if DVB offers them but does somebody?

ETA - Aha! Found it! Sea Breeze Cabana Company! Cool!

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
- C.S. Lewis
-------------------
The Masterworks Festival
Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #764
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad

The presence of the Waverunners implies that they may be available to rent and such. Is that true? Nearby? Can't tell if DVB offers them but does somebody?

ETA - Aha! Found it! Sea Breeze Cabana Company! Cool!
Here's the sign on the Green Cabin (the building behind the waverunners in that picture) with rental rates:

Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #765
Galahad
.....an appointment
No land lines here
Wallpaper is evil!
We call them bread butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Here's the sign on the Green Cabin (the building behind the waverunners in that picture) with rental rates:
Thanks

Our Vero Beach trip is 9/8 to 9/15. We are DVB owners since it first opened but haven't stayed there in years. Really looking forward to it!

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
- C.S. Lewis
-------------------
The Masterworks Festival
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: