DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #736
Bunless
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kirkland, Wa
Posts: 499

Dh and I (no kids) will be going to Vero Beach Dec 25-28th. We've been to Vero in January on a previous trip, so we understand what to expect as far as air and water temps. However, I'm curious as to what to expect in and around the resort for that week. I'm assuming there are decorations, but are there holiday specific activities? Is there anything in town that is different that time of year? Just thinking about planning!

TIA
__________________
I used to be KirklandTutu.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline  
Old 07-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #737
DisDaydreamer
I have this DIS-ease
 
DisDaydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Posts: 6,157

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunless View Post
Dh and I (no kids) will be going to Vero Beach Dec 25-28th. We've been to Vero in January on a previous trip, so we understand what to expect as far as air and water temps. However, I'm curious as to what to expect in and around the resort for that week. I'm assuming there are decorations, but are there holiday specific activities? Is there anything in town that is different that time of year? Just thinking about planning!

TIA
Got you on the roll call. Looking for someone to share holiday experience.
__________________
Rob.................... “You can tell a person's heart by their treatment of wildlife”... World Wildlife Fund.

DisDaydreamer is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #738
lts862
DIS Veteran
 
lts862's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vineland, NJ
Posts: 653

Hello VB Lovers!
My family will be visiting Vero Beach for the first time in a few weeks, splitting our time between DVB and my in-laws' (Port St Lucie). My children were hoping to participate in some of the "turtle" activities. Are they still active at the end of August? Also, do you need to make arrangements ahead of time for snorkle lessons? Thank you for your help!

Also, some nice dining suggestions, casual seafood as well as a bit more upscale. Thanks!
__________________



Proud SSR owner





Last edited by lts862; 07-29-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added additional question
lts862 is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #739
lts862
DIS Veteran
 
lts862's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vineland, NJ
Posts: 653

bump
__________________



Proud SSR owner




lts862 is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #740
Traveler14
Earning My Ears
 
Traveler14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyK View Post
There is a plethora of nesting sites in the immediate area of the resort, checking out the markers it looks like the Disney team has marked at least 700 so far this season along their 7 miles of shoreline. (Does anyone know if this information is published anywhere?)
Hi Pam!!

I have not been able to find much about the sea turtles nests that are logged by the Disney team. I have found bits and pieces of information that you and others might enjoy. Here is a DisneyParks blog about a nest that was laid in May. Dr. Anne Savage says that she will post an update.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-beach-resort/

The Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge FaceBook page posted today "So far this season, it has been the 4th best year for loggerhead nesting on record on Archie Carr NWR! Updated sea turtle nest numbers for Archie Carr NWR: Loggerhead: 17,135; Green: 1,790; Leatherback: 49" From the website it looks like these numbers are for the sea turtle nests just north of VB resort. Unless "North Indian River County" are the nests logged by the Disney team. Would be an interesting question to ask one of the Disney volunteers.

We adopted the sea turtle nest that my girls helped log with the Disney Conservation volunteer during the Turtle Troop program. The Loggerhead Sea Turtle nest was laid on May 29th and has not hatched yet. I wish there was more information on the adopt-a-nest site but there is not.
__________________
March 2007 All-Star Music
March 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
October 2011 Grand Floridian and Castle Suite
June 2012 Vero Beach
Traveler14 is offline  
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #741
DisDaydreamer
I have this DIS-ease
 
DisDaydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Posts: 6,157

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts862 View Post
Hello VB Lovers!
My family will be visiting Vero Beach for the first time in a few weeks, splitting our time between DVB and my in-laws' (Port St Lucie). My children were hoping to participate in some of the "turtle" activities. Are they still active at the end of August? Also, do you need to make arrangements ahead of time for snorkle lessons? Thank you for your help!

Also, some nice dining suggestions, casual seafood as well as a bit more upscale. Thanks!
Sea Turtles lay eggs typically from May to October. Eggs hatch 45-70 days out. So, you will be there at a time when both eggs are being laid and hatchlings are leaving the nest.

A new nest in front of the resort


Disney Naturalist digging up the nest to count the eggs


The eggs


This happens early in the morning. Just after sunrise. This is not a program, just an ongoing thing.
__________________
Rob.................... “You can tell a person's heart by their treatment of wildlife”... World Wildlife Fund.

DisDaydreamer is offline  
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #742
WolffDVC2004
Mouseketeer
 
WolffDVC2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 87

We will be there in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had ever hired a photographer while there. We were wanting to get some family pictures taken on the beach, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
Thanks!
__________________
My Blog
Sept 2004 Purchased DVC ~ Oct 2005 MAGICal Eastern Cruise ~ May 2006 HHI ~ May 2007 SSR ~ 3 Night WONDERful Cruise ~ May 2008 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico ~ May 2009 VBR & SSR ~ July 2009 OKW ~ May 2010 HHI ~ Dec 2010 SSR ~ July 2011 AKL ~ Dec 2011 3 Night DREAM ~ Dec 2011 HHI ~ Sept 2012 VBR ~ Dec 2012 OKW ~ Jan 2013 BCV ~ May 2013 Bay Lake ~ Oct 2013 OKW ~ May 2014 Aulani
WolffDVC2004 is offline  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #743
HappyArtist
Earning My Ears
 
HappyArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 58

Shells!

My teen daughter is really into finding shells on the beach. Are there good ones to find? Do you have to go out first thing in the morning to find them?

Also we are really wanting to eat in a very good seafood place (not the fried stuff). Is Shutters really that good or would be be better off going somewhere else.

Thanks


We are thinking of going in May 2013
__________________
Family Trip #5!

HappyArtist is offline  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #744
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters
 
tikimimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyArtist View Post
My teen daughter is really into finding shells on the beach. Are there good ones to find? Do you have to go out first thing in the morning to find them?

Also we are really wanting to eat in a very good seafood place (not the fried stuff). Is Shutters really that good or would be be better off going somewhere else.

Thanks


We are thinking of going in May 2013
(I wish there were a tongue in cheek emoticon)

You are headed south and said "not that fried stuff"

As a southern born and bred lady who prefers broiled or grilled seafood (though I appreciate the true Calabash style and the lightly breaded de jonghe style) I would suggest Captain Hiram's. The seafood buffet at Shutters is just that - a buffet, so as buffets can go, things get dry or have to sitting in liquid so as not to get dry while they're on sterno. Squid Lips also has a few grilled, baked, and broiled items.
__________________
Tikimimi

tikimimi is offline  
Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #745
scootert
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Posts: 713

[QUOTE=HappyArtist;45700512]My teen daughter is really into finding shells on the beach. Are there good ones to find? Do you have to go out first thing in the morning to find them?

Also we are really wanting to eat in a very good seafood place (not the fried stuff). Is Shutters really that good or would be be better off going somewhere else.

Thanks


We are thinking of going in May 2013[/QUOTE}


We like the Riverside Cafe -
http://www.riversidecafe.com/ They have many kinds of fresh fish available each day and they do grill them.

Other choices would be Ocean Grill and Citrus Grillhouse. We haven't been to either, but Citrus Grillhouse has good reviews. Ocean Grill is a long time landmark and a must for many - we just haven't made it there yet.

Shutters is okay, but kind of hit or miss for seafood in our opinion.
__________________
Scooter
scootert is offline  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #746
iloveokw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,596

Talking

We ate at a new place in Vero called Fishack....wonderful seafood. Fun atmosphere, too!
iloveokw is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #747
DizMagic
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 431

Beach Cabanas

i noticed that you can rent a beach cabana for $12. what exactly is this? i am very sensitive to sun. will this be enough protection for me, or should i plan to bring my beach tent? dates are mid september.
__________________
It "is" a small world after all....
DizMagic is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #748
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMagic
i noticed that you can rent a beach cabana for $12. what exactly is this? i am very sensitive to sun. will this be enough protection for me, or should i plan to bring my beach tent? dates are mid september.
Here's a picture with one... in front of the waverunners. Perfect for those who are sun-sensitive.

glennbo123 is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #749
JaneyGrrrl
Earning My Ears
 
JaneyGrrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikimimi View Post
(I wish there were a tongue in cheek emoticon)

You are headed south and said "not that fried stuff"

As a southern born and bred lady who prefers broiled or grilled seafood (though I appreciate the true Calabash style and the lightly breaded de jonghe style) I would suggest Captain Hiram's. The seafood buffet at Shutters is just that - a buffet, so as buffets can go, things get dry or have to sitting in liquid so as not to get dry while they're on sterno. Squid Lips also has a few grilled, baked, and broiled items.
My husband and I went to squid lips and we were COMPLETELY disappointed. It was expensive for the quality (or lack thereof). I had gotten the cajun bacon wrapped scallops and the cajun spice was so overwhelming that the scallops didn't even taste like scallops. Also, I had gotten au gratin potatoes as my side and they were the BOXED powdered cheese betty crocker kind... Horrible.

We went to Ocean Grill on our actual anniversary and it was AMAZING! Right on the beach, delicious seafood (not just the fried stuff) and great service.

I haven't been to captain hiram's but I've heard good things. We were actually on our way there when we saw squid lips (it's right next to it) and thought it sounded like more fun.

I'm sure we will be checking it out this year.
__________________
JaneyGrrrl is offline  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #750
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters
 
tikimimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyGrrrl View Post
My husband and I went to squid lips and we were COMPLETELY disappointed. It was expensive for the quality (or lack thereof). I had gotten the cajun bacon wrapped scallops and the cajun spice was so overwhelming that the scallops didn't even taste like scallops. Also, I had gotten au gratin potatoes as my side and they were the BOXED powdered cheese betty crocker kind... Horrible.

We went to Ocean Grill on our actual anniversary and it was AMAZING! Right on the beach, delicious seafood (not just the fried stuff) and great service.

I haven't been to captain hiram's but I've heard good things. We were actually on our way there when we saw squid lips (it's right next to it) and thought it sounded like more fun.

I'm sure we will be checking it out this year.
We've not eaten at Squid Lips so I did not provide any information about it other than menu selections - we have looked at the menu. We have been to Capt. Hiram's and enjoyed it thoroughly!
__________________
Tikimimi

tikimimi is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: