DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #196
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Sonny's BBQ

Hi everyone!

March is getting closer!!! We are big fans of Carolina BBQ (but in Montreal it does not exist) and I saw there is a place called Sonny's that has BBQ. Any idea if it is East Carolina (vinegar) or tomato-based sauce?

If not, is there a Carolina BBQ place less than an hour away?

There is a place that gets rave reviews just north of Ft. Lauderdale, but do not want to spend 4 hours round trip for dinner.

Thanks!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #197
starbox
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. " - Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids View Post
Hi everyone!

March is getting closer!!! We are big fans of Carolina BBQ (but in Montreal it does not exist) and I saw there is a place called Sonny's that has BBQ. Any idea if it is East Carolina (vinegar) or tomato-based sauce?

If not, is there a Carolina BBQ place less than an hour away?

There is a place that gets rave reviews just north of Ft. Lauderdale, but do not want to spend 4 hours round trip for dinner.

Thanks!
Sonny's is definitely sweet tomato-based sauce.

• I wish I could live inside the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
  • "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought" - Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #198
auntsue
DIS Veteran

We'll be setting out shortly to Vero (1st trip there) and I have a quick question.

Do they sell single muffins anywhere onsite? We are not big breakfast eaters. Do they have a bakery type place or a general store?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #199
PammyK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbox View Post
Sonny's is definitely sweet tomato-based sauce.
Not just that, Sonny's is plain gross. Definitely not the BBQ you're looking for.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #200
starbox
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. " - Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsue View Post
We'll be setting out shortly to Vero (1st trip there) and I have a quick question.

Do they sell single muffins anywhere onsite? We are not big breakfast eaters. Do they have a bakery type place or a general store?

Thanks
There's about what you'd expect from the grocery section of any DVC in the general store. The baked good onsite are not that good. There is a Fresh Market in Vero and they have an amazing bakery with all sorts of delicious muffins and etc. If you have a car, it may be worth going and stocking up on breakfast goodies.

• "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought" - Walt Disney
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #201
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Cocoa to vero

I have to drop my dad off at Cocoa Beach before we continue on to Vero Beach. We were given 2 options. Route 1 or A1A? Which one would be quicker at 11pm? thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #202
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
There's about what you'd expect from the grocery section of any DVC in the general store. The baked good onsite are not that good. There is a Fresh Market in Vero and they have an amazing bakery with all sorts of delicious muffins and etc. If you have a car, it may be worth going and stocking up on breakfast goodies.
Is that a decent grocery store? I need to figure out where we should do our grocery shopping, by MCO, in Vero, somewhere on the way? Also for beer, wine and alcohol.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #203
starbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Is that a decent grocery store? I need to figure out where we should do our grocery shopping, by MCO, in Vero, somewhere on the way? Also for beer, wine and alcohol.
Fresh Market ended up being our favorite - it's sort of mid-way between a Publix and Whole Foods - GREAT selection of prepared foods and baked goods, which we liked on vacation. They have a great wine and beer selection. The bakery is to seriously to die for. They share a parking lot with ABC liquors and are right across the street from a Publix - so really, with one trip you could get anything you'd possibly want/need. I'd highly recommend driving into Vero and stocking up there.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #204
Pattiwig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The Publix is about 10 minutes away from the resort. There is a liquor store right next door. We went several times. Huge store.
08/14 Fantasy - Western Caribbean; 12/13 HHI ; 7/13 SSR; 8/12 OKW; 12/11 Vero Beach ; and SSR ; 4/10 OKW; 3/10 Magic-Eastern Caribbean; 9/08 BCV ; 4/07 HHI; 1/07 OKW; 8/06 Grand Californian; 8/05 Magic - Eastbound Panama Canal; 9/05 SSR; 4/05 OKW; 10/04 OKW; 4/04 BWV & OKW; 8/02 HHI- OKW- Wonder 4 day - VBR; 7/99 BWV; 8/98 OKW; 8/97 OKW; 12/96 Port Orleans; 9/95 Polynesian; 3/94 Off Site;1986 first Disney trip, Magic Kingdom and Epcot was all there was.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #205
starbox

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/

Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #206
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey Cynthia!
We shopped at Publix and then happened upon a great little market by the name of Hale Groves River Market (just off the Miracle Mile). We just loved that place and went more than once!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #207
backyardponder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Starbox. We might give them a try in a week and a half when we're there.

John
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #208
DisDaydreamer
I have this DIS-ease

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhawk View Post
I have to drop my dad off at Cocoa Beach before we continue on to Vero Beach. We were given 2 options. Route 1 or A1A? Which one would be quicker at 11pm? thanks.
A1A is on the coastline and you have more beach towns and traffic lights to go through.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #209
auntsue
DIS Veteran

Thanks starbox. We have The Fresh Market here in Naples and I shop there often so I am very familiar with it. Their bakery, produce, fresh meats and fresh fish are outstanding. I also love their deli. We jhad their fresh-made meat lasagna yesterday and it was excellent. I'll be sure to hit it for their muffins. Isn't their bakery just the best?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #210
scootert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsue View Post
Thanks starbox. We have The Fresh Market here in Naples and I shop there often so I am very familiar with it. Their bakery, produce, fresh meats and fresh fish are outstanding. I also love their deli. We jhad their fresh-made meat lasagna yesterday and it was excellent. I'll be sure to hit it for their muffins. Isn't their bakery just the best?
Not to mention those Almond Pillow Cookies... yummmmm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: