Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #121
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,231

When it rains… we get wet.

We prepared for the rainstorm that appeared to be approaching by putting the rain cover (great investment) on the stroller and parking it next to the entrance of the TTA Peoplemover and headed up to climb aboard for our nice peaceful, relaxing ride.

Is it just me, or is the part after you go through the ride area of Space Mountain is darker than is naturally possible? Obviously DS couldn’t see that he was still sitting right next to me, and right across from his mommy and began flipping out. Needless to say, this trip, the Peoplemover wasn’t the peaceful relaxing ride I’m used to enjoying.

We worked to calm DS as we rode through the dark. Finally we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Only it didn’t look as light as it did when we entered. We emerged from the dark to see that the rain had started. In addition to the rain, there was a nice strong breeze that was just perfect for whipping the rain right underneath the overhead covering as we slowly… crept… through Tomorrowland.

We got off the Peoplemover looking more like we were just getting off of Splash Mountain and headed over to use our Buzz FPs. DS seemed to enjoy it. I never could get him into the idea of shooting the gun, but once he figured out that he could make us spin with that lever in the middle, he was entertained and enjoying the ride. He really seemed to have a good time just taking it all in and nearly making DW require the use of a barf bag.

We met back up with our CM friend in the exit shop and the rain let up a bit so we decided to walk in the general direction of Fantasyland looking for a short line and a roof. We rode the Teacups (3 adults and a toddler in a cup is a bit tight) and Snow White and then used our FP’s for Pooh. The rain was picking back up, so we ducked into It’s a Small World for shelter, despite a 20 minute line. Want to guess where IASW ranks on DS’s list of favorites?



Our main objective for the day was to make sure we saw MSEP, so we decided it was getting close to time and we should find some food. We asked CM where she did/didn’t want to eat since she spends a bit more time there and she said she was sick of Cosmic Ray’s, but hadn’t eaten at Pecos Bills in a while. We headed that direction, and decided we had time to catch a performance by the Country Bears along the way. DS absolutely loved this show. He was clapping and dancing along with the bears the whole time.

We grabbed some food at Pecos Bills. I don’t remember what everybody else had, but my cheeseburger was delicious as always. It was getting dark as we finished our meals, and I decided to step outside and check the rain situation. It was coming down steadily so we finally brought out the ponchos and headed off to a section of sidewalk near Casey’s, but just a bit up the street toward the castle. Parked the stroller behind a trashcan and settled in just in time for the castle lighting show.



We didn’t really worry about getting to the curb and fighting for our territory. DW went to get snacks and a spinning light up Mickey toy for DS (best $15 we spent the whole trip). I took DS to run back and forth along the walkway to Crystal Palace to burn some energy after Mickey became less entertaining.

We thought we had a good plan… by taking a spot behind the trash can, we didn’t have to be there super early, our spot was fairly easy to hold, people didn’t really try to push in front of us, and there wasn’t room for anyone behind us since they were keeping half of the sidewalk open for traffic. DW and CM would have a clear view over the top and I’d stand behind them with DS on my shoulders. All of a sudden a few minutes before the parade was to start, a family came along Main Street, laid a poncho on top of the trash can and sat 3 kids up there right in front of us. Thankfully, a CM came along quickly and made them leave. After what seemed like forever, in the cold, damp weather, the parade began.











We enjoyed MSEP, but I have always personally preferred SpectroMagic. We headed into the Emporium to look around and warm up. DW and I thought we’d be back at the WL before the evening’s events so we didn’t pack jackets when we headed out that morning. The timing of DS’s nap threw a wrench in those plans.

We stepped back out onto Main Street to watch Magic Memories and You.



I have to admit, I really liked this show a lot better than I thought I would. I really didn’t like the idea when I first read about it, but they really did an excellent job. We actually ended up seeing this show a few different times from some different angles. The pictures of people on the castle aren’t very big though. You’d almost have to be in the hub or closer to see them in any detail… either that or I need a new prescription for my contacts.

DS has never tolerated fireworks… at all. We decided to stand near the Train Station to watch Wishes and if he freaked out we’d leave. We had a secret weapon in our arsenal that we thought might help us though. Thanks to khertz for posting a link to these things in her PTR.



The Drew Brees inspired earmuffs worked great. He didn’t have a single problem with fireworks the whole trip with these things on. He didn’t want to wear them at first, but I think he realized they helped make it quieter, and once he figured that out, he was happy to have them on. I highly recommend them… and again thanks to khertz for posting a link to them in your PTR.

Gratuitous explosion shots:





We said goodbye to our CM friend and made plans to meet up with her again later in the week. We left the park just as the last few fireworks were going off and made our way to the dock to catch a boat back to WL. We were quickly on board and on our way. It was a great day at the Magic Kingdom, but there were a few more hours of valuable EMH park time...
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #122
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,387

Well, in spite of the rain, it sounds like y'all had a wonderful time at MK! And it seems like DS did well with the rides.

I have to ask where you bought the ear phone things for your son. Reid doesn't like fireworks but won't wear ear plugs. Maybe I should buy some like you did before our next trip.
amandaw is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #123
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne
 
CandleontheWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,210

Good plan using the trashcan for cover! I might steal that idea next time, you read how camping out on the curb worked for me.

Landon looks really cute with those earmuffs, like he is getting ready for a recording session! Glad they worked out so well!
CandleontheWater is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #124
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere
 
Captain_Oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Is it just me, or is the part after you go through the ride area of Space Mountain is darker than is naturally possible?
How would you measure that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Obviously DS couldn’t see that he was still sitting right next to me, and right across from his mommy and began flipping out. Needless to say, this trip, the Peoplemover wasn’t the peaceful relaxing ride I’m used to enjoying.
I'm sure the noises from the ride such as people shrieking calmed him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
We got off the Peoplemover looking more like we were just getting off of Splash Mountain and headed over to use our Buzz FPs. DS seemed to enjoy it. I never could get him into the idea of shooting the gun, but once he figured out that he could make us spin with that lever in the middle, he was entertained and enjoying the ride. He really seemed to have a good time just taking it all in and nearly making DW require the use of a barf bag.
Nice work buddy! Random spins really help your score on that ride, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
The rain was picking back up, so we ducked into It’s a Small World for shelter, despite a 20 minute line. Want to guess where IASW ranks on DS’s list of favorites?
He looks entranced to me. Better make quite a few return trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
All of a sudden a few minutes before the parade was to start, a family came along Main Street, laid a poncho on top of the trash can and sat 3 kids up there right in front of us.
I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm always amazed at the amount of people who think they can stroll right into a heavily crowded event without any wait and act like they own the place.

Great parade pictures! The castle looks awesome, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
You’d almost have to be in the hub or closer to see them in any detail… either that or I need a new prescription for my contacts.
Can't beat Father Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post


The Drew Brees inspired earmuffs worked great.
I was going to bring up Drew Brees! Looks like they made your son drunk, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Gratuitous explosion shots:
These are never, ever gratuitous.
Captain_Oblivious is online now  
Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #125
mommytominnie
Mouseketeer
 
mommytominnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 184

Enjoying your trip report!! Can't wait to read more about your trip. Your son is precious!!
mommytominnie is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #126
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
When it rains… we get wet.
Woa. That's graduate level stuff at Purdue, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
We prepared for the rainstorm that appeared to be approaching by putting the rain cover (great investment)
Agreed. (Until the kids start to suffocate under the plastic, that is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
In addition to the rain, there was a nice strong breeze that was just perfect for whipping the rain right underneath the overhead covering as we slowly… crept… through Tomorrowland.
Slowly creeping through Tomorrowland. Add in a center rail to bang into, and you've got a speedway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
We got off the Peoplemover looking more like we were just getting off of Splash Mountain
Were you whistling Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
He really seemed to have a good time just taking it all in and nearly making DW require the use of a barf bag.
You may be planning to address this later, but how was you DW with her, um...condition...during the trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
We rode the Teacups (3 adults and a toddler in a cup is a bit tight)
Yes, but it does add more horsepower to spin with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
All of a sudden a few minutes before the parade was to start, a family came along Main Street, laid a poncho on top of the trash can and sat 3 kids up there right in front of us. Thankfully, a CM came along quickly and made them leave.
Mark already pointed how how people seem to think they can walk right up at the 11th hour and get a great spot, so I won't beat that dead horse. However, do people look down the street and see all these trashcans with no kids on them and think to themselves "I have a great idea that no one has ever had before! I'll put my kids on this here trash can. It's a perfect viewing spot!" Typically, when no one else is doing something, it probably means it's now allowed.

(Great pictures, though!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I have to admit, I really liked this show a lot better than I thought I would. I really didn’t like the idea when I first read about it, but they really did an excellent job. We actually ended up seeing this show a few different times from some different angles. The pictures of people on the castle aren’t very big though. You’d almost have to be in the hub or closer to see them in any detail… either that or I need a new prescription for my contacts.
Agreed. But when I saw how strong those projectors were and the graphics they used - I was blown away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
He didn’t want to wear them at first, but I think he realized they helped make it quieter, and once he figured that out, he was happy to have them on.
Nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
How would you measure that?
Close your eyes on the ride for a baseline. Then open them. If it's darker than your baseline, well, there you go. Proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I was going to bring up Drew Brees! Looks like they made your son drunk, though.
Now you're thinking of Kyle Orton.
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #127
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Character breakfast with young kids is always a new adventure. Sometimes they decide out of nowhere that characters are scary and sometimes they fall in love with them.
This whole trip was an adventure. We never knew what to expect. It sure was fun though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Dole Whips are the perfect solution to a sleeping son. Glad the beginning of your MK day was smooth and relaxed.
Dole Whips could be the perfect solution to a lot of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Lol cute update. At least he didn't cry or worse. The first time my DN met Pluto he punched him
Poor Pluto...
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #128
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!
 
petals's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,033

Those trash cans are a great space saver!
Were you in Magic Kingdom on the 28th? Think we were in Epcot and it poured that day
petals is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #129
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 5,316

I guess I missed the CM update, but I'm all caught up now!

It stinks Landon wasn't more inviting for the characters, but at least he didn't completely freak out. We are skipping the character meals for our DL trip due to limited time, but I'm planning on at least one if not two for our next WDW trip, so hopefully Paxton still likes the characters by then. You are so right, it's barely worth the money when they ARE into the characters (I mean, seriously...$35 for a breakfast buffet?!), but definitely not worth the money when they don't like the characters! Hopefully by the next time you go he will be a less nervous around them.

Bummer about the rain! And TTA in the rain sounds depressing. It does get pitch black in there at the Space Mountain park (I couldn't see my hand in front of my face) but luckily DS was still too young to be afraid of the dark. I'm now reading your TR as preparation for our next trip when DS will be 2! I haven't thought of these things yet!

Quote:
The Drew Brees inspired earmuffs worked great. He didn’t have a single problem with fireworks the whole trip with these things on. He didn’t want to wear them at first, but I think he realized they helped make it quieter, and once he figured that out, he was happy to have them on. I highly recommend them… and again thanks to khertz for posting a link to them in your PTR.
I'm so glad they worked for you!! I can't take credit for the idea, that was DH, but you're still very welcome. Really, we should all be thanking Drew & Brittany Brees for thinking of their son's hearing and inspiring Disney World lovers to use them for fireworks!

That picture of Landon from behind watching the fireworks is precious!!
__________________
Me DH DS (3)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #130
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm so glad they worked for you!! I can't take credit for the idea, that was DH, but you're still very welcome. Really, we should all be thanking Drew & Brittany Brees for thinking of their son's hearing and inspiring Disney World lovers to use them for fireworks!
In the update, Andy said you gave him the link of where to purchase these headphones. Would you mind sharing that link with me?

Also, I saw that you are in Youngsville...my family & I live in Lafayette! We just moved to Lafayette this past June and are seriously considering moving to Youngsville for the schools.
amandaw is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #131
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!
 
My sister's princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,086

Lovely update! I am glad you have a way to help your little one with the noise. I always feel bad for the kids crying during fireworks
My sister's princess is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #132
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!
 
petals's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Poor Pluto...
I wasn't there but the story actually sounded really funny and the picture is even funnier. He was only about a year and a half and in the pic his Daddy is holding him beside pluto and the look on DN's face is kind of like who exactly do you think you are at Pluto and apparently after the pic was taken he just punched him on the nose!
petals is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #133
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,231

http://www.earplugstore.com/ear-muffs-for-children.html

Here is the link to where we got the earmuffs. We bought the second one down in the right hand column, basically just because we wanted black ones instead of blue.
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #134
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
In the update, Andy said you gave him the link of where to purchase these headphones. Would you mind sharing that link with me?

Also, I saw that you are in Youngsville...my family & I live in Lafayette! We just moved to Lafayette this past June and are seriously considering moving to Youngsville for the schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
http://www.earplugstore.com/ear-muffs-for-children.html

Here is the link to where we got the earmuffs. We bought the second one down in the right hand column, basically just because we wanted black ones instead of blue.
There ya go, Andy beat me to it & posted the link.

How crazy (& funny!) that you are practically my neighbor!! I have heard great things about the schools in Youngsville, which is a plus. It is growing so quickly around here compared to when we moved here a few years ago.

I always figured I was probably the only crazy DISer in Lafayette until one day at work, a nurse on another unit stopped me in the cafeteria to tell me she had read my TR! Needless to say, we are now "Disney friends" at work!! Well, if you ever see me around at Rouse's or something say hi!
__________________
Me DH DS (3)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #135
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Well, in spite of the rain, it sounds like y'all had a wonderful time at MK! And it seems like DS did well with the rides.
Any day spent in MK is a wonderful day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I have to ask where you bought the ear phone things for your son. Reid doesn't like fireworks but won't wear ear plugs. Maybe I should buy some like you did before our next trip.
See the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Good plan using the trashcan for cover! I might steal that idea next time, you read how camping out on the curb worked for me.
Yeah, I can't say that I'm envious of your experience. I wasn't sure about the idea of standing behind the trash can at first, but as long as the CM's do their job and keep the vultures from getting in front of them and standing in the edge of the street, it really works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Landon looks really cute with those earmuffs, like he is getting ready for a recording session! Glad they worked out so well!
I was shocked by how well he tolerated them. We can't even keep a hat on the kid.
afwdwfan is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.