Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #91
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I just LOVE the lobby at the Wilderness Lodge, especially decorated for Christmas!! That tree is just amazing. What a special moment it must have been for DS to get so excited over it too!

Oh yes, a packed Chef Mickey's waiting room & a restless toddler...does that sound familiar! You must have copied my update. Hopefully he liked the characters...I can't believe you stopped there & left us hanging!!

Looking forward to the next installment.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #92
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I told DW that I wanted to be on the road by 7:30. We were in the truck and on the road right on time at 7:45. To be quite honest, I’ve learned a little trick. If I need to leave by 8, I tell her 7:30. Occasionally, we end up making it out the door by the actual target time. Odds are still no better than 50/50.
You're giving away our secrets!

Quote:
I walked into the lobby and was blown away by what I saw.
I forget, had you been in there before? Hard not to be blown away the first time you walk into that lobby. Especially with the Christmas decorations.

Quote:
The CM gave me my paperwork and some pixie dust. Our room was ready!
At 9:30?

Quote:
When we walked into the lobby, we had our first “Disney through your kid’s eyes” moment. DS took one step through the door and just stopped and pointed at the Christmas tree. “Tree, Mommy, tree!!!”

Quote:
The room was beautiful, but I have to be quite honest. I was a bit disappointed by our “woods view” room. We really just had a few trees, a courtyard and a view of the Villas.
Looks like woods to me. Some rooms give you a view of the dumpster.

Quote:
This is the point where I got goosebumps. I could see the Contemporary, the monorails, Space Mountain, the castle… we are really here!!!!
Am I supposed to get goosebumps reading about it?

Quote:
“Duck!!!”

“Yes, that’s Donald Duck. Can you say Donald?”

“Duck!!!”

“Eh, close enough.”
Then you got smacked in the head by a tray a waiter was carrying.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #93
dramaqueenemj22
Mouseketeer

Hi! I just caught up on your installments and I must say I'm very excited to be subbing right as your getting into ALL things Disney! Your son is very cute and its a adorable that he calls Donald Duck, Duck. Can't waiting to read more!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #94
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

No adorable photos of you son!!!???? That is hardly an update!

Kidding, kidding! Glad you guys liked the lobby, sorry about the view from your room. Are you a spend alot of time in the room kind of family?

Can't wait for more!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #95
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful beach view during the beginning of your vacation!! Besides the chocolate milk incident it looks like you guys had a wonderful time there

WL is beautiful, the tree looks stunning, I couldnt imagine in person what it looked like!! I am excited to hear DS was having a good reaction to the characters!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #96
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
If this isn't already a DIS-dads rule, I think it should be!
I think it is an unwritten rule. And I might be in trouble for putting it in writing.

Quote:
That looks like a corral for humans down there!
It does kind of look like that guy is scratching his head trying to find a way out.

Quote:
Always such a great moment.
One of the best feelings in the world.

Quote:
See what you started...now you're going to get a workout.
I never seem to learn.

Quote:
Uh oh, cliffhanger.
Well, I would have continued, but I had to get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Awww, that's so sweet that your DS was so excited by the tree at WL. They do have some gorgeous Christmas decorations there.

Can't wait to hear how did with getting all up close & personal with the characters!
In all honesty, I was just about as excited as he was. That tree is a spectacular sight, especially inside that lobby. Disney definitely does Christmas decorations well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Uh oh...now you have me worried.
You can't be anywhere near as worried as we were. We had no idea what would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
I was originally planning to hunt down some “good” pictures to illustrate your last update for ya’ (just cause I’m such a nice nemes… errrr… guy), but you put this one up so quickly that it just wouldn’t be all that humorous any more. Meh… maybe next time.
I'm glad I have a nemesis who isn't highly motivated to antagonize me.

Quote:
I do that with my in-laws, but subtract a minimum of an hour to hopefully be on time.
If I actually NEED to be on time, I subtract two.
But does it ever actually work?

Quote:
First win of the day… may there be more to come.
Don't we hope!

Quote:
We were lost having bell services haul our bags.
Only richer folks then I get that kind of attention.
It was very, very strange.

Actually, it was so strange that I was compelled to haul all the bags out to the car myself when we checked out.

Having someone else do it for me just seemed soooo wrong.
I typically carry my own, but we had so much stuff, it would have taken several trips. Since we didn't have a lot of time and wanted to get unpacked before we left, it was just easier to get the bell man and his big cart to come to our aid.

I actually hauled stuff back out when we left, but as we'd get a bag full of dirty laundry throughout the week, I'd go ahead and haul it out. We didn't have nearly as much stuff in the room by the end of the week.

Quote:
Leave it to our kids to get right down to the heart of the matter.
Indeed.

Quote:
A video of this would have been good… but I suppose we can take your word for it that you won.
I think I did. They were on there. I can't be sure they were on there the right way though.

Quote:
Naaaaa…. You got a good one. We had a “standard view” room
(which I’ll be talking about in the next chapter over in my excuse for a TR).

Trust me… the view that y’all got is quite nice.

Quite…
It really wasn't a bad view. Just not quite what I expected with woods view. I might be spoiled by the woods view that I have here at home.

Quote:
I loved being able to use the boats to get around the different spots in the loop.
They are like attractions all by themselves.
We loved the boats. Especially the big ones that we could roll the stroller on to.

Quote:
***queue ominous John Williams soundtrack here***
Jaws, maybe?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #97
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I just LOVE the lobby at the Wilderness Lodge, especially decorated for Christmas!! That tree is just amazing. What a special moment it must have been for DS to get so excited over it too!
It was a special moment just to be there. It is one of the resorts I've always wanted to stay at, but had never even visited. The Christmas decorations there were just perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Oh yes, a packed Chef Mickey's waiting room & a restless toddler...does that sound familiar! You must have copied my update. Hopefully he liked the characters...I can't believe you stopped there & left us hanging!!

Looking forward to the next installment.
It sounds vaguely familiar... I don't know where I might have possibly seen something like that.
I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I saw that you did an update about Via Napoli. I'll probably be using the copy and paste on that one too here in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
You're giving away our secrets!
Don't worry. Julie doesn't read this garbage.

Quote:
I forget, had you been in there before? Hard not to be blown away the first time you walk into that lobby. Especially with the Christmas decorations.
No, first time there. And it is extremely breathtaking.

Quote:
At 9:30?
When she told me it was ready, I actually asked her if she meant it is ready for us now.

Quote:
Looks like woods to me. Some rooms give you a view of the dumpster.
Yeah, it is. I guess from the woods view description I was expecting a view of trees... thick trees that you don't see a building through just a few yards on the other side of the tree line. I guess the woods view I have at home just kind of ruins that aspect for me. It was very nice sitting on the balcony though.

Quote:
Am I supposed to get goosebumps reading about it?
Probably. I get them anytime I even think about it.

Quote:
Then you got smacked in the head by a tray a waiter was carrying.
I've still got a knot back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueenemj22 View Post
Hi! I just caught up on your installments and I must say I'm very excited to be subbing right as your getting into ALL things Disney! Your son is very cute and its a adorable that he calls Donald Duck, Duck. Can't waiting to read more!
Welcome! I'm glad you stopped by for the good stuff! Hope to get some more updates up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My sister's princess View Post
No adorable photos of you son!!!???? That is hardly an update!

Kidding, kidding! Glad you guys liked the lobby, sorry about the view from your room. Are you a spend alot of time in the room kind of family?

Can't wait for more!
I'm sorry we didn't have any pictures. The next update should make up for it.

The view wasn't bad at all, just not what I expected. We spent more time in the room than normal this trip. Partly because we had a toddler with us, but also partly because we wanted to enjoy the lodge. Personally, I'm the go, go, go mentality at Disney World. I want to see and do everything I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
What a beautiful beach view during the beginning of your vacation!! Besides the chocolate milk incident it looks like you guys had a wonderful time there

WL is beautiful, the tree looks stunning, I couldnt imagine in person what it looked like!! I am excited to hear DS was having a good reaction to the characters!
The beach was nice and relaxing. I would have preferred to just have 2 more Disney days, but I'm glad we went.

It really was incredible to see the WL. I hadn't ever stepped foot in the lobby and it definitely met and exceeded all expectations.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #98
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

I used to do that when I was going up and down to college interviews and stuff if I had to be there for 10 I'd tell Momma 9 so we woudl get there on time. It's a good trick

The Say Donald and getting Duck story is cute. My niece now 13 when she was little and we were trying to teach her santa we'd go say "santa" and she's go "man." Kids versions of names are better anyway

The or was it bit at the end doesn't sound to good!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #99
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

I swore I posted something here after your last update...

That tree in WL is amazing. I just love the WL lobby.

The view from your room wasn't horrible. This was ours once....

I can't wait to see how breakfast went.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #100
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
I used to do that when I was going up and down to college interviews and stuff if I had to be there for 10 I'd tell Momma 9 so we woudl get there on time. It's a good trick
It's a good trick until they catch on... then you have to keep moving the time up earlier and earlier.

Quote:
The Say Donald and getting Duck story is cute. My niece now 13 when she was little and we were trying to teach her santa we'd go say "santa" and she's go "man." Kids versions of names are better anyway
I guess as long as they know what they mean and we can figure it out, that's what counts.

Quote:
The or was it bit at the end doesn't sound to good!
We'll find out soon...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #101
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Breakfast with Character

We were finally seated for breakfast about 5 minutes later than our 11:20 ADR. We sat down and started scouting the character rotation to see when we could make a break for the buffet line. It looked like they were still a couple of sections away, so DW and I decided we’d take turns getting food. Just as we were getting ready to head to the buffet line, the music started so that the characters could do their dance and all their guests could fling crumbs and globs of jelly on one another using their napkins as sling shots.
This was the turning point for DS’s interest in the characters. He’s never really seemed to care much for Goofy, and as luck would have it, our first character interaction was a 7’ tall dog running right by our table dancing and jumping around. His reaction looked something like this.

He never cried, but it was obvious much to my dismay, that he didn’t have any love for Goofy. Coincidently, guess who the first character was to come to our table.

It really didn’t go all that badly. While we were eating, Donald and Mickey were coming through the section next to ours, and he was standing up in his seat watching them and pointing them out.

We didn’t get any good pictures with the characters during breakfast, but by the time Mickey came along, DS did decide to give the Chef his complements in the form of a high 5.

As for my comments on the breakfast, I love breakfast buffets, so I enjoyed the meal. It’s obvious though that you’re really paying more for the experience than the food when it comes to character meals. It wasn’t worth the price of admission for us, because we didn’t get to take full advantage of the character interactions. I think we will probably give it another try in the future, though, once DS decides he’s ready to be more comfortable with the characters on a consistent basis.

Having enjoyed a nice breakfast, it was time to head to the Magic Kingdom. We headed up to the monorail platform and got there just in time to see the doors close on a departing train. We were first in line for the next and one of the CM’s on the platform chatted with us a bit and gave DS a trading card.

We boarded the next monorail and rode around the loop to our destination.
I was nervous about bag check, because prior to this trip, I had never taken a bag into the parks. Turns out it wasn’t so bad. We sailed through and soon we had this view.

Followed by this one.

We headed over to Adventureland, because you’re always supposed to go left at Disney World. Actually it is just kind of tradition. For some reason we seem to ride Jungle Cruise first… always have. Well, we got to stroller parking and when we started to get DS out of the stroller we found he was asleep. So much for worrying that there’d be too much to see for him to sleep in the parks.

Where do you go when you’re in Adventureland with a sleeping toddler? Aloha Isle, of course.

We grabbed a couple of Dole Whips and walked over to Tomorrowland to grab FP’s for Buzz so that we could ride when DS woke up. I grabbed FP’s and we found a bench in the shade to sit and formulate a plan for the afternoon. We have a friend who was there as a CM on the college program, so DW was trying to call her to let her know where we were and she told me I should go ahead and ride Space Mountain since we were right there. I’m certainly not going to argue with that logic. I headed to the standby line with a 25 minute wait. Not too bad with the games they have in there now. Space was fun as always and I came back outside to see that the skies were turning grey and DS was still sound asleep. We were in our window for Buzz and our CM friend was on her way to meet us. I decided to run over to get FP for Winnie the Pooh while DW stayed to wait for our CM friend.

DS woke up by the time I got back, and our CM friend was there. The skies were getting darker and it was apparent rain would be upon us very soon. I suggested heading to Buzz, but DW wanted to do something a little less intense first to get DS fully awake. With that in mind, we rode what would turn out to be DS’s first ride as well as the scariest, coldest and wettest ride of the entire trip…
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #102
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I swore I posted something here after your last update...

That tree in WL is amazing. I just love the WL lobby.
It really is great. I think Whispering Canyon will become a fixture in future trips, just so we can get an opportunity to visit.

Quote:
The view from your room wasn't horrible. This was ours once....

Are you sure this was WL???? That looks more like a view from a room in POP.

Quote:
I can't wait to see how breakfast went.
Well, all you have to do is look down a couple of posts. You snuck in on me.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #103
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Are you sure this was WL???? That looks more like a view from a room in POP.
Yes that was POP... but your view was much better than mine.

Quote:
Well, all you have to do is look down a couple of posts. You snuck in on me.
Well the kid is waking up... I'll be back later to read!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #104
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

That first photo made the update email so worth following up on. Your son is way to cute, and that photo is way to funny
Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #105
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Your little boy is just too cute! At least he didn't cry when the characters came up to him. Did he warm up to characters more by the end of the trip?

I'm interested about the scariest/wettest ride coming up....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: