Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #421
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I've really enjoyed reading your TR, and I think you guys did great taking a little guy to WDW.

Heading over to check out the PTR now, and looking forward to the next trip!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #422
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Stellar work, Andy!

Thanks for letting us come along on your trip, I've already headed over to the PTR and can't wait to hear more! I'm assuming there will be baby pictures over there shortly
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #423
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Can't believe this TR is over!! Seems like we were just planning our November trips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
As far as doing Disney with a toddler goes, Iíve seen arguments for and against it. Personally, Iím glad we took him and Iíd do it again. Everything didnít go 100% according to plan, but life seldom does. We had fun, he had fun and we did it together. He might not remember this trip a few years down the road, but I can assure you that DW and I will and the memories will be fantastic.
I agree wholeheartedly. We had the BEST time taking a toddler, and are so glad we didn't decide to wait until he is older like we had been planning to do. I'm happy that you & your DW had the same experience.

Quote:
We also had some concerns about going on this trip with DW being pregnant. She wasnít sure she would be able to have fun if she couldnít ride all of the rides. I knew if she didnít have fun, I wouldnít have fun. I told her we could put the trip on hold and just save the money to go in a couple of years, but she wanted to go anyway. It turned out very well. Even though she couldnít go on the thrill rides, there was plenty for her to do, and she wanted to spend a lot of time resting and napping anyway, so I didnít feel very guilty about going off to ride on my own.
Although I was a little further along and we went at one of the hottest times of the year, I agree with your wife's sentiments about doing Disney pregnant as well. It was a different kind of trip than we were used to, but still a lot of fun. And we did a lot of things I don't think we might have done had we never taken a trip where one of us couldn't do thrill rides.

Quote:
Some of the things we learned:
  • Touring plans are useless. You have to have a strategy, but when you have a toddler, you WILL do what they dictate.
  • An expectant mother can have fun at Disney World. Rest, regular meals and plenty of water are a must.
  • Christmas decorations and themes at the parks are totally worth it if you can ever get there.
  • Iíve always been a fan of Disney Transportation, but driving to the parks with our stroller was so much nicer. Use of a Disney bus will be rare for us in the future. I loved the boats though.
  • Beverly is really not as bad as some people lead you to believe.
  • Le Cellier and Via Napoli really are as good as some people lead you to believe.
  • Pushing a stroller around Disney World isnít all that bad. I hit exactly ZERO ankles over the course of the week. Not that I didnít want toÖ
  • If you have a toddler who doesnít like loud noises, hearing protection is a lifesaver. There is no way we would have seen Illuminations or Fantasmic! without our earmuffs.
  • If we make an ADR for a character meal in December, it will be at the end of the week. That way we can have time to gauge his interest and cancel if necessary.
to all of these! The only ones I can't say for sure would be Beverly and Le Cellier since I've never tried either one. Everything else is right on the money!

Quote:
[*]We fully intended to make use of the baby care centers in the parks. In case you didnít notice, there was no mention of them in the TR. We always ended up changing diapers in the nearest convenient restroom. Iím sure weíll make use of them during our next trip.
You will probably find more of a need for them with DD around on your next trip. At Paxton's age they were great because he was still mostly on baby food and needing his milk warmed. At Landon's age, I can see where they would be nice but not necessary. It will be nice for Landon to have a place to unwind and play a little bit too while you take care of little DD's needs.

Quote:
With that, I think Iíve said about all there is to say here. As I mentioned, weíre going to be returning to the World in December for an extended family trip with my parents and sisters. This trip is being planned by my mom, but since weíll be preparing for a trip with a toddler and an infant, Iíll probably go ahead and write a PTR. I might need a sounding board just to keep me sane and reassure me that weíre going to be ok. Additionally, Mom wants my sister and I to figure out ADRís for the trip, so there will be a little bit of planning to write about. If youíre interested in following along on another PTR with me here it is.[/COLOR]
Heading over there now.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #424
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
As far as doing Disney with a toddler goes, Iíve seen arguments for and against it. Personally, Iím glad we took him and Iíd do it again.
Glad you feel that way. I used to be part of the "never take a baby to Disney" crowd, but then we tried it...and it was great! I figured it wouldn't be worth it since he wouldn't remember it. Then I realized he was free, so I didn't care if he remembered it or not.

Quote:
[*]Christmas decorations and themes at the parks are totally worth it if you can ever get there.
Already on the bucket list.

Quote:
[*]Beverly is really not as bad as some people lead you to believe.
Or your taste buds are malfunctioning.

Quote:
[*]Le Cellier and Via Napoli really are as good as some people lead you to believe.

Quote:
[*]We fully intended to make use of the baby care centers in the parks. In case you didnít notice, there was no mention of them in the TR. We always ended up changing diapers in the nearest convenient restroom. Iím sure weíll make use of them during our next trip.
Or just use the Hall of Presidents.

Quote:
Iíd like to thank all of you for following along with my sometimes rambling updates. I thoroughly loved reliving our trip through this medium.
You did a great job, Andy! I loved reading about your trip. You've got a sweet family and a great sense of humor. Thanks for bringing me along. Virtually speaking. I mean, if you want to actually bring me along on the next trip, that'd be awesome. But that's up to you.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #425
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Awww, I'm so sad that it's over!

I really enjoyed reading all about your family's vacation. I think y'all did a great job with having a toddler on this trip & I have no doubt that y'all will do just fine with an infant added to the mix this December!

I love your final thoughts! I agree with everything you wrote, especially about being glad y'all took a toddler. Even if he doesn't remember everything, you'll always have pictures to show him & you & your wife will have some wonderful treasured memories. But DS may surprise you by what he remembers. Reid talks about both of his trips, even though the 1st one was when he was 2. He remembers things I don't! And I'm so glad I learned from you about the earmuffs for fireworks. Since Reid won't let me use earplugs on him, I'm definitely going to invest in these before we leave in September!

Thank you again for sharing your memories with us!

Now, I'm headed over to check in on the PTR!
I'm sad that it's finished. It was great to relive the trip through writing this TR. I'm glad that we took DS along, and I wouldn't trade this trip for anything.

Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great recap, Andy. I thoroughly enjoyed your TR and looking forward to following along on the PTR.

I never believed those who said not to take "toddlers" to Disney World. We took both of our boys when they were first 18 months old, and they both still remember a few stand out things (Andy remembers "getting lost" with Mickey and Markie remembers being scared to death of Goofy!).

I think you did great on what you accomplished having a toddler and a pregnant wife on the trip.
I definitely remember some things from the trip when I was 3. I loved Figment and actually got to meet him and Dreamfinder. That's one of my first Disney memories (and explains my love for the little guy, even though his current attraction stinks... in more ways than 1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Nice job Andy! Great recap and summary of learnings you had along the way.

Heading over to join the new PTR!
Thanks for the encouragement and for reading along!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #426
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I've really enjoyed reading your TR, and I think you guys did great taking a little guy to WDW.

Heading over to check out the PTR now, and looking forward to the next trip!
Thanks! I really hope the next trip goes as well as this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Stellar work, Andy!
High praise, coming from the pun master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Thanks for letting us come along on your trip, I've already headed over to the PTR and can't wait to hear more! I'm assuming there will be baby pictures over there shortly
Thanks for following along and I'm sure there will be some baby pictures.

I also have to say a thank you to you and Captain_Oblivious for writing a couple of the first TR's I ever read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and seeing how much fun you guys were having writing them and interacting with your readers. It really encouraged me to check out other TR's and encouraged me to write my own. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #427
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Can't believe this TR is over!! Seems like we were just planning our November trips...

I'm just glad that I actually have another one to plan for now!

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. We had the BEST time taking a toddler, and are so glad we didn't decide to wait until he is older like we had been planning to do. I'm happy that you & your DW had the same experience.
It's great... Definitely a different kind of great, but I wouldn't trade it.

Quote:
Although I was a little further along and we went at one of the hottest times of the year, I agree with your wife's sentiments about doing Disney pregnant as well. It was a different kind of trip than we were used to, but still a lot of fun. And we did a lot of things I don't think we might have done had we never taken a trip where one of us couldn't do thrill rides.
Good point!

Quote:
to all of these! The only ones I can't say for sure would be Beverly and Le Cellier since I've never tried either one. Everything else is right on the money!
You need to try them both.

Quote:
You will probably find more of a need for them with DD around on your next trip. At Paxton's age they were great because he was still mostly on baby food and needing his milk warmed. At Landon's age, I can see where they would be nice but not necessary. It will be nice for Landon to have a place to unwind and play a little bit too while you take care of little DD's needs.
I assumed that would probably be the case. I still thought we might use the facilities for a diaper change and a chance to relax while DS was confined, but it just never happened that we were in the area when we had any use for one of them.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #428
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Glad you feel that way. I used to be part of the "never take a baby to Disney" crowd, but then we tried it...and it was great! I figured it wouldn't be worth it since he wouldn't remember it. Then I realized he was free, so I didn't care if he remembered it or not.
I'm a convert too. That was pretty much the same exact thought process I had as we decided to book the trip.

Quote:
Already on the bucket list.

Quote:
Or your taste buds are malfunctioning.
Nah... it really just didn't have much taste to it.

Quote:
Or just use the Hall of Presidents.
Are you saying a poopy diaper should somehow be used as a political statement?

Quote:
You did a great job, Andy! I loved reading about your trip. You've got a sweet family and a great sense of humor. Thanks for bringing me along. Virtually speaking. I mean, if you want to actually bring me along on the next trip, that'd be awesome. But that's up to you.
First of all, see the end of my reply to Barry ^^^.

Secondly, if I win the lottery, I'll keep you in mind. I think we could have a lot of fun together. My only concern is that the one place in the world I really don't want to be banned from is Walt Disney World, and I'm not sure what kind of trouble we might get into.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: