Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Rpsemont
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

SSR,Pop, BWV, FP, Taxi, SWA and WIFI misc notes

Few random notes from our recent trip to to Florida

We arrived Sat 3/10 around 8PM. DD and DH were going to concert at HOB. We used DME for luggage, but then picked up an Alamo rental car - which we used the kiosk and would have been perfect had we not exited the garage behind someone who had LOTS of questions at the check out booth.

I dropped DH and DD at DTD around 9PM and went to check into SSR. We had a nice room in the Springs section 3739 or something like that. I walked around a bit, but then went back to the room to wait for our Owners Locker and luggage. Luggage did not get there until about midnight. I attempted to walk to the bridge the crosses from DTD to meet DH after the concert, but got a little lost. Meanwhile DH was trying to find the way to the room after already crossing the bridge. He found it incredibly frustrating that while there are numerous maps at SSR, none of them have the helpful marking "YOU ARE HERE" So it was hard for him to get oriented. We have not really spent alot of time at SSR so really aren't familiar with the resort. We finally all ended back at the room and to bed late.

The next day it rained all day - bummer for your first day. We started at ESPN, then made our way to Orlando Ale house, and then a late dinner at TURF CLub. Dinner was delicious and they have a special drink called a Travers Stakes that I continued to order the rest of my stay, even though none of the other bars on property know how to make it. It was Gin, Peach Schnapps and Ginger Ale. As a gin lover, I really enjoyed this!

Our trip was a combo of Disney and college visits, so Monday morning we went to Rollins and then came back and checked into our home resort, BWV
We had used luggage transfer for the owners locker and 2 suitcases. I was a little dissappointed that it took until after 5PM for us to get our luggage at the BWV. I wished I would have kept my swimsuit out, as I would have gone to the pool mid afternoon. We were at BWV until Thursday morning. Nice weather, nice days. Had dinner at Cape May one night - always good - ate way tooooo much! Discovered the "grab and go" at Beach Club - Beach Club marketplace. Got a nice grilled sandwich that I took back to BWV to eat. I find BWV choices of grab and go very limited.

Thursday we left Disney and continued our college tour visiting Stetson, Flagler, UF, UNIv of Tampa, and Eckerd. Stayed in Tampa one night and with friends in Bradenton two nights. Kinda fun to be on the gulf coast for a change.

Monday we were back at WDW and checking into POP. One morning we took a walk and it looks like you may eventually be able to walk all around the lake that separates POP from AofA. I hope that's true. It would be a nice walk. And you can see the fireworks at Epcot from the distance if you're on the bridge between Pop and AofA. One night, having taken a bus to the parks, we had a late dinner at ESPN and went to catch a cab to POP from BWV. I was surprised to see no cabs waiting AND in fact, after 10 minutes, there was still no CAB. This really surprised me, as I have always posted on the boards that its easy to get a cab at BWV. Lesson learned I guess. Finally, a taxi dropped other guests off and we got in. I think it was a "star" cab or something like that. It was not the typical Disney/Mears yellow taxi. We had to give the driver turn by turn directions to get us to POP, but when all was said and done, it was a fare of $6.60. We gave him a $10.

I tried to use some "old" fastpasses I had from last march for toy story mania, but they wouldn't let me. I was told you have to use them the same day. Nothing lost, nothing gained. Never hurts to try.

My major complaint this trip concerned the "free wifi". I spent an almost full day at POP when I had to work on the computer. I kept getting booted off the wifi. I could reconnect, but every time I got booted off, it disrupted my work flow. I was literally booted off about 6 times in the first 45 minutes. I had also been told that they have disabled the ethernet connections in the rooms so that was not an option. I ultimately used my phone for a wifi hotspot and was able to work uninterrupted. (I haven't seen what that bill is yet!) I would definitely not plan to use the wifi to stream anything. Also the wifi signal in the room was even worse that by the pool. I had gone on line at the BWV a couple times, too and while I was booted off there, it was not as bad as it was at POP. I meant to ask about it at the front desk, but then forgot.

And finally, for those SWA flyers, I forgot to check in right at the 24 hours mark (I was drinking wine with John from the Owners Locker ) and didn't remember to check in until about 10PM for our 8PM flight. we ended up with B44, B45 and B46.
When we arrived at the airport I was told the plane had about 19 empty seats.

We easily got a full row for the three of us toward the back of plane, and even people after us were able to get seats together.

All in all a good trip. Can't wait to go back in October for Food & Wine.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Anne
Feb 2003 - BWV and DOLPHIN;
Oct 2003 - Sher. Safari, Dolphin, BWV
Feb 2004 - BWV, Renaissance@Seaworld, OKW
Nov 2004 1st trip home! BWV,OKW;Feb 05 OKW,POFQ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: