Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
Disneymomcat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
We booked our first Disney cruise on the Dream for January 17th. We are all excited.

Who's joining us?

Dissers
Marshay = DW, DH, DD3 & DD7 (age at time of cruise)
watwsj = DW, DH, DD3, DD1
Sinderelly = DW, DH, DD
I just joined DIS boards today because I just heard about Fish Exteners. This will be mine and my son's 3 DCL. We are DVC members but this cruise is for his 13th birthday and has no idea about this trip. I don't plan on telling him until he figures it out on the plane.
Disneymomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymomcat View Post
I just joined DIS boards today because I just heard about Fish Exteners. This will be mine and my son's 3 DCL. We are DVC members but this cruise is for his 13th birthday and has no idea about this trip. I don't plan on telling him until he figures it out on the plane.
Welcome!

As I wrote above, this will be my very first Disney cruise so I am very excited. I assume as we get closer to January, we'll see more people joining our cruise

So cool to surprise your son -- hope he loves it!

As for FE, I'm open to doing them if people want to. I have several ideas in mind already but haven't started anything.

I'll add you to the 1st post!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
CastawayJP
Proud to have introduced HydroFlask to the Dis

We are planning on booking this cruise as the second leg of a back to back! We'll keep this part of the journey a secret from the kids until breakfast of what they will think will be debarkation! We are...

Jeremy
Lindsey DW
Alyssa DD 13
Regan DD 5
Joshua DS 4

These cruises will be our 8th and 9th Disney Cruises, and our first time on one of the new ships!
Past Cruises: 4/07 Wonder, 7/07 Wonder, 11/07 Wonder, 5/08 Wonder, 11/08 Magic (Western), 6/10 Wonder (5 night), 08/11 Magic (7 night Med), 2/14 Dream
CastawayJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastawayJP View Post
We are planning on booking this cruise as the second leg of a back to back! We'll keep this part of the journey a secret from the kids until breakfast of what they will think will be debarkation! We are...

Jeremy
Lindsey DW
Alyssa DD 13
Regan DD 5
Joshua DS 4

These cruises will be our 8th and 9th Disney Cruises, and our first time on one of the new ships!
Wow!! Welcome to the January thread. I think you win the "longest distance".

That is so great to be doing a back to back and I bet you are excited for one of the newer ships.

Are you also doing WDW? If so, there are also January 2013 threads around to meet others that are doing Disney, too.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #20
CastawayJP

We will be living in the Orlando area for a couple months so yeah we'll be doing WDw before and after the cruise A LOT! We will have just finished a tour year assignment in Romania, and will be vacationing for a couple months before we return to DC for training for our next post in Israel.
Past Cruises: 4/07 Wonder, 7/07 Wonder, 11/07 Wonder, 5/08 Wonder, 11/08 Magic (Western), 6/10 Wonder (5 night), 08/11 Magic (7 night Med), 2/14 Dream
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #21
Marshay

Quote:
We will be living in the Orlando area for a couple months so yeah we'll be doing WDw before and after the cruise A LOT! We will have just finished a tour year assignment in Romania, and will be vacationing for a couple months before we return to DC for training for our next post in Israel.
Wow -- what an interesting life you all lead! I assume you are with the military or state department or something like that. What a great experience you are giving your children.

Also, how cool that you can spend some time in the Orlando area, too.

I think I'm secretly a "snow bird" and should spend winters (October to May) in Florida. But my DH isn't convinced, yet.

Israel -- how exciting ... and scary, too. I wish you all the best and can't wait to meet everyone on the Dream!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
CastawayJP

Quote:
Wow -- what an interesting life you all lead! I assume you are with the military or state department or something like that. What a great experience you are giving your children.

Also, how cool that you can spend some time in the Orlando area, too.

I think I'm secretly a "snow bird" and should spend winters (October to May) in Florida. But my DH isn't convinced, yet.

Israel -- how exciting ... and scary, too. I wish you all the best and can't wait to meet everyone on the Dream!
Yeah we are with the State Dept. It is a very interesting life! I see that you are from NoVA, what part? Before we became "global nomads" that was home for us, and I grew up in Richmond just down the street!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
Marshay

Quote:
Yeah we are with the State Dept. It is a very interesting life! I see that you are from NoVA, what part? Before we became "global nomads" that was home for us, and I grew up in Richmond just down the street!
I did the DC-to-VA crawl. Came straight from college and took at job with the Federal Government on the Mall and lived on Capital Hill. Then moved to Alexandria. Then to Reston. Now I'm in the suburbs of Leesburg by Dulles Airport.

It's been good and I really love the area with all the wonderful things to do. We just went St. Patty's weekend to spend the night at the Gaylord at the new National Harbor and saw the Cherry Blossoms and monuments and American History Museum. Later this month I'm taking my Girl Scout troop to the National Zoo. Just pleasant reminders that this area has so much to offer, and many of it free!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
CastawayJP

OK it's official, we put down the deposits for this cruise and the one before it last night! Can't wait to surprise the kids at breakfast!

We lived in Reston for three years and absolutely loved it! As a tennis player there was no better place in NoVA! Great walking and biking trails as well! And all the good food by the Town Center... Makes me miss VA!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
Marshay

Quote:
OK it's official, we put down the deposits for this cruise and the one before it last night! Can't wait to surprise the kids at breakfast!

We lived in Reston for three years and absolutely loved it! As a tennis player there was no better place in NoVA! Great walking and biking trails as well! And all the good food by the Town Center... Makes me miss VA!
Yay! I know it feels good to have those deposits down!

Oh, yeah, Reston is great...depending when you left, you won't recognize Reston Town Center anymore..looks like a mini-New York City with the tall buildings, apartments and even a mini-city park! Ok, I exaggerate a little, but it has changed so much -- we love going there to eat though and walk around. A perfect date night!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
CastawayJP

Quote:
Yay! I know it feels good to have those deposits down!

Oh, yeah, Reston is great...depending when you left, you won't recognize Reston Town Center anymore..looks like a mini-New York City with the tall buildings, apartments and even a mini-city park! Ok, I exaggerate a little, but it has changed so much -- we love going there to eat though and walk around. A perfect date night!
We left in 06 so it was pretty much the same. When we are in DC we frequently go back to see friends!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Marshay

Quote:
We left in 06 so it was pretty much the same. When we are in DC we frequently go back to see friends!
ah, ok. I came to Reston in 1996, so it's changed drastically since then!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #28
SFD998
Mouseketeer

I just booked this cruise yesterday. It will be myself and DW. We will be leaving the kids at home. We just got back on 4/22 (w/ the kids) from the Dream and this will be our third time on board this ship and our fifth cruise with Disney. We will also be on the Magic in July for the short 2 nighter out of N.Y.

This is a late booking for us and as a result we are in GTY status for a Cat. 5E. Not too thrilled about that but, not much we can do. If anyone has ever had guaranteed status how long does it usually take to find out? I have read that some people have checked on the DCL website under the castaway club section and found out earlier than Disney notifies them, but I'm having problems getting into it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD998 View Post
I just booked this cruise yesterday. It will be myself and DW. We will be leaving the kids at home. We just got back on 4/22 (w/ the kids) from the Dream and this will be our third time on board this ship and our fifth cruise with Disney. We will also be on the Magic in July for the short 2 nighter out of N.Y.

This is a late booking for us and as a result we are in GTY status for a Cat. 5E. Not too thrilled about that but, not much we can do. If anyone has ever had guaranteed status how long does it usually take to find out? I have read that some people have checked on the DCL website under the castaway club section and found out earlier than Disney notifies them, but I'm having problems getting into it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Welcome!!

So if you and DW are booking another cruise but w/o the kids, that is saying something really special about Disney cruises!! I can't wait to try our first Disney cruise!

Best of luck on the GTY status.

I'm just curious, what different categories did you try to book? I'm surprised that the ship is already booked up...it seems like it's still far out to book, esp with a lot of people wanting to try out the Fantasy instead.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
SFD998
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Welcome!!

So if you and DW are booking another cruise but w/o the kids, that is saying something really special about Disney cruises!! I can't wait to try our first Disney cruise!

Best of luck on the GTY status.

I'm just curious, what different categories did you try to book? I'm surprised that the ship is already booked up...it seems like it's still far out to book, esp with a lot of people wanting to try out the Fantasy instead.

This will be number 3 without the kids. We had booked the Dream for July 2011 with just the two of us but at the time it was something like 16 months away. Way too long to wait in my opinion so we started looking and found that in the middle of our already planned October 2010 trip that there was a 3 night on the Wonder. Being DVC members I cancelled the room we had booked and used the points to cover the kids and just paid for DW and I. It worked out really well. Prior to sailing on the Dream in July 2011 we ended up booking the Dream for April 2012. This of course being the cruise we just got off. When Disney announced that they would be sailing out of N.Y. and the port is only about an hour away it was a no brainer. This July will be number 2 without the kids, but since they would have just been and it doesn't really go anywhere we weren't that heart broken for them. In the mean time my parents have been saying that they wanted to do a family vacation so we are actually booked on the Fantasy for April 2013 as well. The Fantasy will be number six and Gold Castaway status for us I guess you could say that we have been very happy with DCL. You hear people talking in the port and this time was no different about how much nicer DCL's terminal is and don't expect it if you sail with another cruise line. What I have seen and heard DCL is just better.

As far as GTY status goes we actually didn't try any other cat. When we booked our July 2011 cruise we looked very carefully at the ships layout and decided on the aft for what appeared to be a larger private verandah. We settled on room 9674 and actually booked the same room for the trip we just got back from. When we arrived we were correct that the deck space is much larger than verandah rooms on either side of the ship. What we also discovered is that room 9176 directly next to 9674 is even bigger. As soon as we got back we changed our room assignment to 9176 for this past trip and have it booked for the Fantasy as well. I could have booked a cat. 5D, but then there was no chance of getting the larger deck. Cat. 5E runs from deck 6 to deck 10 and covers the aft. I actually booked it with the notation of please don't upgrade. There is no guarantee of that, but that is how much we prefer it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: