Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #136
disney fan4
Mouseketeer

new mom help

Hi, this is our first trip to WDW. We are goin the last week of March. My Ds8 has gluten, dairy and peanut allergies. I have wheat, corn and peanut allergies. I just got my dining reservations from my travel agent and am going to be e-mailing special diets. We have the dining plan. I have been told they will accomodate my son even if it is not typically on the kids menu for no extra charge because of his allergies. Is that correct?
And can anyone with similar allergies recommend some quick service meals or good snacks covered by our dining plan? I am nervous hearing about all the changes and afraid he is going to end up with a bowl of fruit for dessert while my non-allergic Dd5 eats ice cream and brownies!
disney fan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #137
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney fan4 View Post
Hi, this is our first trip to WDW. We are goin the last week of March. My Ds8 has gluten, dairy and peanut allergies. I have wheat, corn and peanut allergies. I just got my dining reservations from my travel agent and am going to be e-mailing special diets. We have the dining plan. I have been told they will accomodate my son even if it is not typically on the kids menu for no extra charge because of his allergies. Is that correct?
And can anyone with similar allergies recommend some quick service meals or good snacks covered by our dining plan? I am nervous hearing about all the changes and afraid he is going to end up with a bowl of fruit for dessert while my non-allergic Dd5 eats ice cream and brownies!
Most places should have dairy free ice cream.
livndisney is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #138
ls15
Mouseketeer

BusyMom2Three - we are at French Quarter but I know that Riverside has Tinkyada pasta, which is the best gluten-free pasta option.

zumbergc - last year my mom got gf chicken fingers at Columbia Harbour House and I've read they still have those. Hers were baked because she can't have soy, and they would have been fried in the same oil as the fries (which have soy). I am sure you can ask for them baked. It did take much longer but obviously if that is what you need it's fine!

disney fan - I will update my whole trip by then. We get back the 9th. From your allergies, though, you can safely assume you might be eating a lot of whole, fresh foods as opposed to anything that they bring in that is gluten-free.

livndisney - If you are at a table service and there is dessert, 99% of the time they have sorbet. I never, ever will eat Tofutti, so I've been eating Rice Dream (which doesn't have hidden barley like their nondairy milk does), though I am not sure that your son could have that (peanut-wise). But we have never not been offered sorbet. You might not be as lucky at quick service, though, but perhaps you could save that sort of treat for a table service and both your sons could have something else so he won't be left out? HEre is the Rice Dream ingredient list: http://www.tastethedream.com/product...t/1483/204.php

1993 - Port Orleans (which is now POFQ) with parents, sister
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (doing Princess 1/2 Marathon)

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #139
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbergc View Post
How much notice do you have to give babycakes to order a cake thru them?
Or can you just pick up a birthday cake at the downtown disney location, and have them ice happy birthday xxxx?

The allergy chicken nuggets. Does anyone know if they are baked or fried? I can't digest fat very well, so its the difference between eating them or getting sick.
thanks
If you want a specific cake and frosting combo you need to call 48 hours or more ahead. Also, they can deliver to your hotel on Disney property or to a Disney restaurant as they are now a Disney baker!

They might also have some in the case, but not always. They do always have cupcakes and can write happy birthday on them as well.

The last time DD had the allergy chicken strips was more than a year ago and I think they were fried, but did not try them myself.

I will be there on March 4th and can let you know what they are like now.

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #140
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls15 View Post
BusyMom2Three - we are at French Quarter but I know that Riverside has Tinkyada pasta, which is the best gluten-free pasta option.

zumbergc - last year my mom got gf chicken fingers at Columbia Harbour House and I've read they still have those. Hers were baked because she can't have soy, and they would have been fried in the same oil as the fries (which have soy). I am sure you can ask for them baked. It did take much longer but obviously if that is what you need it's fine!

disney fan - I will update my whole trip by then. We get back the 9th. From your allergies, though, you can safely assume you might be eating a lot of whole, fresh foods as opposed to anything that they bring in that is gluten-free.

livndisney - If you are at a table service and there is dessert, 99% of the time they have sorbet. I never, ever will eat Tofutti, so I've been eating Rice Dream (which doesn't have hidden barley like their nondairy milk does), though I am not sure that your son could have that (peanut-wise). But we have never not been offered sorbet. You might not be as lucky at quick service, though, but perhaps you could save that sort of treat for a table service and both your sons could have something else so he won't be left out? HEre is the Rice Dream ingredient list: http://www.tastethedream.com/product...t/1483/204.php
In our experience (living near the park), we have ALWAYS been offered diary free ice cream at table service places. There are also several CS locations that offer dairy free ice cream. Not once have we been offered sorbet. DD rather enjoys eating "ice cream" like everyone else-in fact I think one of the happiest moments of her life was eating "ice cream/tofutti" on Main Street (from the ice cream shop) for the first time.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #141
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney fan4 View Post
We have the dining plan. I have been told they will accomodate my son even if it is not typically on the kids menu for no extra charge because of his allergies. Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. Even if they have to give him an adult option or something not on the menu, you won't be charged extra.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #142
AEPaul
Earning My Ears

We started AllergyEats Disney World (allergyeats.com/disney) as a spin-off of the successful AllergyEats site for exactly this reason - so that our community can hear first-hand from other food-allergic diners what their experiences are / have been. If you are going to WDW soon, as we are again (7 in the family, 3 with fa), check out AllergyEats Disney World before you go (recognize however that we've been live for just 2 months). If you've just gone, PLEASE HELP OUR ENTIRE COMMUNITY by rating your restaurant experiences there! We also just published a great interview with Chef Joel Schaefer, guru behind Disney's food-allergy excellence, on the AllergyEats Blog (allergyeats.com/blog). Hope you enjoy our site and find it useful in your travels!
P.S. Sorry I can't post the links. I haven't posted 10 times yet.
AEPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #143
disney fan4
Mouseketeer

busyMom2Three, livndisney, and ls15, thanks for the responses. My son never complains about not getting to eat the same food as his sister, but I try to make his food as comparable as possible. I want to be prepared and take his snack/dessert food with us if necessary so he has a magical trip also!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #144
DisneyAngie45
Mouseketeer

My little cousin is allergic to eggs, milk and all nuts. She can have soy milk though. We want to take a girls trip to Disney in the future and stay on site, but we don't want her to feel left out because of the food. Is it an extra charge for accommodation? Can Disney help us?
DisneyAngie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #145
ls15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAngie45 View Post
My little cousin is allergic to eggs, milk and all nuts. She can have soy milk though. We want to take a girls trip to Disney in the future and stay on site, but we don't want her to feel left out because of the food. Is it an extra charge for accommodation? Can Disney help us?
Disney can help everyone. There is no extra charge. Contact Special Diets and go from there. I'm halfway through my trip, haven't gotten sick once, and ate amazing food. Because I was so careful to contact chefs in advance, and spoke to each of them individually, I've eaten amazingly so far. And all of them have brought in special food to make it even more magical!

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #146
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAngie45 View Post
Per Special Diets (and personal experience) if you are not on the dining plan-there can be an additional charge. The cost is only supposed to be more when the allergen safe food costs more. For example, when dd could have soy- she would get a kids meal with soy milk-most places would try and charge more for the soy milk vs "regular" milk.

We have also been charged more for allergen free chicken and gluten free pizza.

That being said-yes Disney should be able to help you.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #147
mrichards28
Earning My Ears

Thank you ls15 for starting this thread! My boyfriend and I are going down in May for 10 days, and I have a gluten allergy. I'm definitely going to be following this until then. =)

I loved the French Meadow brownies! Luckily, stores around me sell them. But that's what I wanted to talk about!

I bought a box of them in the store yesterday. But you know how at Disney the brownies were a pretty good size? In the box I just bought, they are half the size, but still $6 for a box of 9 small brownies. I was expecting them to be bigger. Maybe that's why they got too expensive for Disney to keep.

I may be wrong though! It would be awesome if they brought them back!

I look forward to keep reading!
mrichards28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #148
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

In my experience, there's not an extra line item on a receipt that states "allergy surcharge" or anything like that, but you will see that specialty items like the OMG It's Gluten Free cookies will shop up as an allergy cookie and that is priced differently than a non-allergy counterpart. That's where the extra charge has been seen. Premade low allergen products are priced in the computers at a higher price than their standard counterparts. This is only a concern if you're paying OOP for your food. If you're using a dining plan then you'll be charged the same credit regardless of what you order.

I've only been offered sorbet at a few table service restaurants. Most carry Tofutti ice cream. I don't trust Rice Dream ice cream just because they don't seem to understand gluten since they claim that their milk is gluten free yet contains barley. They don't add barley to the ice cream but I just don't feel that I can trust them.

For those with egg allergies, the baked goods options are VERY limited I'm sorry to say. DD14 ate a lot of Tofutti and Enjoy Life products.

I'm extremely frustrated with the Special Diets department right now. Several chefs indicated that they weren't notified that we were coming. The chef in charge of the club lounge at Poly (where we were staying) talked to the rest of the chefs at our resort to discuss options for us since I had emailed her a copy of the form I sent to Special Diets so she knew all of our ADRs and she was also able to order in some safe foods for us. She never got any notification from Special Diets and neither did any of the other chefs she spoke with. She's the only reason any of those chefs knew we were coming. I'm so grateful to Chef Kim for everything she did for us and arranged for us.

I just had to share this. I FINALLY MET CHEF TJ!!!! He was so wonderful.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #149
ls15
Mouseketeer

Just an update:
I've been here 8 days so far. All the chefs are amazing. The majority of them, including managers at the quick service, miss the Ener-G products. Many of the chefs special ordered items (including at our resort) because they knew we were coming.

I've eaten really well so far; I think I got a little sick once but it settled down after a bit so I'm not 100% sure. I've had a load of choices. I'll do a huge update when I get back.

We have no been charged any additional fees, and often, charged less than the original price for modifying items on the menu.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #150
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

Having been to WDW more times than I can count, I was a little apprehensive about my first trip since starting a gluten free diet. I just want to thank everyone on this thread for all the helpful suggestions.

Everywhere we ate was able to accomodate my needs, but a few things really stood out.

Being able to have real fried chicken at Fifties Prime Time almost brought a tear to this southern girl's eye. My friend tried the crust and could not believe it was gluten free.

The allergy free chicken tenders I got at Columbia Harbour House were delicious.

Having Chef TJ prepare a special dish for me at 1900 Park Fare when I would have been fine finding something on the buffet. I just wish I had not been too full to find out what he had in mind for my dessert.

Last edited by eeyore7360nc; 03-04-2012 at 05:06 PM.
eeyore7360nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: