Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Creatively Obsessed
Earning My Ears

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites at Universal Studios Main Gate

My daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites at Universal Studios Main Gate, a Universal partner hotel, just before Thanksgiving. The room was much more spacious than expected. The hotel has a good over all clean feeling and the staff was responsive to our needs though not overly friendly. (Most of the time we were not even acknowledged as we walked past at least 3 employees entering and exiting the hotel). The hotel was being refurbished during our stay, though we would not have known it. There is no continental breakfast. You can pay to eat at the TGI Fridayís in front of the hotel. We knew our room would have a fridge and coffee maker and were happy to find it also had a microwave. We had no interest in the pool but for those of you that do, it is a plain in-ground pool, nothing special

I picked Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites at Universal Studios Main Gate because of itís location and because to save money I did not want to rent a car. When booking my reservation I was told we could walk across the street and the park gates were right there. That was not accurate. While the hotel is across from the road that leads to the parks, the actual entrance to the parks is at least a half hours brisk walk from the hotel. Which was do-able for my adult daughter and I, but would not work for someone with young children, some elderly people, or those with certain disabilities. After the first day, when we realized how long the walk was, we looked into taking Super Star Shuttle, which we learned runs from the hotel to the parks. But found the schedule very limited and not well thought out.

Super Star Shuttle runs from the hotel to the park 3 times in the morning (8:20, 8:50 and 10:10) and from the park to the hotel at night. No service for people who have early park admission. No service for people who want to go to the park in the afternoon or evening. No service from the parks for people who need to go back to the hotel for lunch or nap. The latest night time shuttle leaves the parks at the same time the parks close. You can not stay in the parks until they close or you will miss the shuttle. If you do not take the morning shuttle (say because the times donít work for you) your not allowed to take the evening shuttle. In addition you have to make reservations at the desk inside the hotel no later than the afternoon of the day before or there is no space available.
Creatively Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

thanks for taking the time to let us know that!

many peeps will ask questions about the partner hotels.
they want to know about the shuttle, walking distance and what is in the room such as fridge, micro, etc.

hopefully others will read your thread and be aware how that hotel is run.

it would be nice to have a sticky that is about the off site hotels.
listing the amenities, and transportation to the park would be very helpful to newbies to universal.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

Thanks for the info. Good to know.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Anyone stayed here lately? Thinking of staying here in June!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Seeker615
DIS Veteran

Hi

Yes - we stayed here when we went to Universal. It was myself and my 20 year old daughter.

I agree it is misleading how far the gates of the park are from the hotel. We only walked once and that was enough for us.You do enough walking during the day at the parks as it is.

We ended up doing the first shuttle (super star shuttle) in the am and then taking a cab back to the hotel in the evening. Cab fare was $5! Pretty reasonable and easy as there are cab stands out by the shuttles.

I enjoyed the hotel. We were upgraded to a suite which was awesome and quite large. Full size fridge, stove top and microwave as well as a nice living room area separate from the bedroom.

Pool are was well kept and the hotel was clean and neat.

I would stay there again.
Seeker615 is offline   Reply With Quote