Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
ldietiker
Disney dreaming...

Question about birthday on the Dream

We'll be on the Dream in May. We are new to DCL and this will be our first cruise in many years.

It occurred to me that my DW will have her 45th birthday the day before we board. Because it's not on the actual day of boarding, and because my partner is not too obsessed with birthdays, we could let DCL know or not depending on what that would set in motion.

If you or anyone in your party have celebrated a birthday on the Dream and officially let DCL know, what happened? What should my partner expect? For example, is it just that she'd be greeted by servers with good wishes (which would suit her fine) or would she get a serenade at dinner (which would make her uncomfortable)? Is there anything else I should know about?

Thanks!
ldietiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Normally your head server will come over and confirm the celebration, They would bring a birthday dessert (a mousse thing, not a cake any more), and sing. If you don't want the singing, let the head server know.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
4butlers
DIS Veteran

DD turned 11 the day before we boarded on 11/17. We had it on our reservation, but nothing really happened. On our last night, our server remembered to bring her a button and said he was going to bring out a dessert. She went off to Edge before he brought out the button and forgot the dessert. We were a little disappointed, but that's ok because she had a great week at WDW before.

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
kayguz
Earning My Ears

Our twins had a birthday 10 days before the cruise. I did not make any special notes for it or request a celebration-- figured it was far enough past the date…. We were all extra suprised when our server brought out pins and birthday desserts for them! They also sang.
kayguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

They know your birthday already without you telling them.

If you WANT some hoopla to be made about it, it is always great to make a note of it on the reservation so that it gets highlighted and noticed.

In your case, if you decide you DON'T want anything special done, you could just do/say nothing or even go out of the way to note NOT to have anything done or said. If she would not even want mention or a special little something at dinner, I would make a special point of letting your server and head server know that she does NOT want anything done for it, as most people are the opposite.

My DH is a "don't do anything" birthday guy, so I understand where you are coming from on this.

HTH,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

If you WANT some hoopla to be made about it, it is always great to make a note of it on the reservation so that it gets highlighted and noticed.

In your case, if you decide you DON'T want anything special done, you could just do/say nothing or even go out of the way to note NOT to have anything done or said. If she would not even want mention or a special little something at dinner, I would make a special point of letting your server and head server know that she does NOT want anything done for it, as most people are the opposite.

My DH is a "don't do anything" birthday guy, so I understand where you are coming from on this.

HTH,
Dreams
They may know its your birthday but that doesn't mean they do anything if you don't say something or have it noted. My actual birthday was embarkation day and I was expecting from comments like that one and others that they would automatically do something on your birthday. They did not. A copule days later my dad talked to the head server and the next day they did the birthday mouse for me.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
ldietiker
Disney dreaming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

In your case, if you decide you DON'T want anything special done, you could just do/say nothing or even go out of the way to note NOT to have anything done or said.
Good point! Of course they must know about the date of birth (big head slap). Thanks for the advice!

I'm getting the feeling that only the meal service would be affected (i.e., there would not be anything different in the stateroom or in a show -- my partner would be horrified if at some point in a show they made her get up on stage or something...)
ldietiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birthday, dream

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: