Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Hoping not to chicken out. Can't be safe any other place than Disney.
I went para-sailing once in Cancun ... it was a great experience... and I am scared of heights... I remember being so freaked as I rose up in the air. (you go up pretty quick) then I looked down and I could see a huge manta swimming along.. it was so amazing I forgot about being scared and just concentrated on looking around and soaking up the view. I TOTALLY recommend trying it... it is great and I am sure Disney will take good care of you, and I bet the view of Castaway will be amazing .

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #17
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
I went para-sailing once in Cancun ... it was a great experience... and I am scared of heights... I remember being so freaked as I rose up in the air. (you go up pretty quick) then I looked down and I could see a huge manta swimming along.. it was so amazing I forgot about being scared and just concentrated on looking around and soaking up the view. I TOTALLY recommend trying it... it is great and I am sure Disney will take good care of you, and I bet the view of Castaway will be amazing .
Thanks. DH did not want to go with me either in Cancun. I have more company here so very good chance of going. Curious if you can take a camera.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

How do you sign up for a Fish Extender Group

I am a relative cruise newbie... the first time I cruised with Disney... I had not yet discovered the plethora of Disney interest groups like the DISboards... where a wealth of awesome tips and information can be found. I made that discovery when we thinking about DVC and I was researching information before buying...

I have just found out about the fish extender groups on other Disney cruises and my daughter and I are totally excited about the idea and want to participate. We are looking forward to designing our FE. Does anyone know how to sign up? I have looked around and cannot find a specific link...

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Curious if you can take a camera.
I wouldn't think so... too much going on with speed and wind and the ascent... also likely it might be a safety issue.... unless you can do a mounted helmet cam or something.. you will need your hands free. And if you are flying tandem (which they can assign you to if I am reading the excursion description correct) then depending on your position (front vs back) it would be kinda awkward....

Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
I am a relative cruise newbie... the first time I cruised with Disney... I had not yet discovered the plethora of Disney interest groups like the DISboards... where a wealth of awesome tips and information can be found. I made that discovery when we thinking about DVC and I was researching information before buying...

I have just found out about the fish extender groups on other Disney cruises and my daughter and I are totally excited about the idea and want to participate. We are looking forward to designing our FE. Does anyone know how to sign up? I have looked around and cannot find a specific link...
I don't think "you sign up" for a group link. We have been on four DCL cruises and have had a meet for each one. One of them we exchanged small gifts. I did not participate in the FE thing. If I remember correctly, the more people that join this thread/cruise - if you have younger children, you will set it up and start an exchange. I don't know all the details since I have not participated. You might want to ask the general question on the Cruise line thread on how it all works. I think you get small gifts for each day for each cabin participating and you place them outside of the cabins. I am really not sure and don't want to give you the wrong info. Let me know if you post and find out. Very curious.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

So here is the scoop on the Fish Extender groups (I love this idea of*fish*extenders) ..... Next to your cabin door is a*fish*that the crew uses to leave communications. A Fish Extender is a bag of some sort hung on the*fish (google fish extender and check out some of the neat designs folks have come up with). People who have agreed to participate (they sign up from this meet) leave little gifts to each other (in the extender) throughout the cruise. The gifts are small, and can be whatever you wish... often homemade or from the region where you live.

To accomplish this fun ...one person volunteers to head up the*fish*gift exchange (basically collect the names of all the persons interested in this exchange and write down their room numbers and any ages of children) This person is responsible for getting the info to everyone who is participating... either through a cruise ship meetup or through PMs on this site.

Once you have the list you go around and put little gift into everyone*fish*extender.*The group will decide on the particulars (1 day vs multiple days...themes... etc). For example in one gift bag they put a lolipop in it that NYC printed on it and a pencils. If you look on the Dis boards reports or do a search for*fish*extenders you can see some of the gifts and extenders that are pictured on their reports. This is not something you have to do but seems to be really fun.

I would be willing to be the organizer that collect names and info

-Stephanie AKA Suger Mag

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Fish extender explanation

Here is a link to a much more detailed explanation:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=61

Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Thanks Stephanie. The link is great too. I know what they look like and have seen them a ton of times. To be honest I never participated because I thought it was an exchange for the kids. Very interesting and will definitely give it some thought. (My "kids" will be 27, 25 and 20 when we cruise). Oh my - they are definitely not kids anymore

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
To be honest I never participated because I thought it was an exchange for the kids. Very interesting and will definitely give it some thought. (My "kids" will be 27, 25 and 20 when we cruise).
LOL... why should kids get to have all the fun.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
DuckMom
Mouseketeer

Hi All! We just booked our cruise this weekend! I'm SOOOO excited. I've never been on a cruise in my life and am a bit nervous. I have horrible motion sickness (Magical Express and I had a bad first meeting), but I'm hoping with medicine, patch, etc, I'll be ok. We are on Deck 9, but in the front, which was not my first choice.

It will be me, my husband and two sons (by then 8 and 4 -- yikes!). My in-laws will also be in another cabin on Deck 9.

We'd love to get in on the Fish Extender thing. I read a bit about that last night on the Dis boards and love adding extra magic.

I'm so excited to learn all about the cruise and plan everything. I'm a bit of a over planner, but this is a whole new experience for me!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
LOL... why should kids get to have all the fun.
You are more than 100% right on that one

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMom View Post
Hi All! We just booked our cruise this weekend! I'm SOOOO excited. I've never been on a cruise in my life and am a bit nervous. I have horrible motion sickness (Magical Express and I had a bad first meeting), but I'm hoping with medicine, patch, etc, I'll be ok. We are on Deck 9, but in the front, which was not my first choice.

It will be me, my husband and two sons (by then 8 and 4 -- yikes!). My in-laws will also be in another cabin on Deck 9.

We'd love to get in on the Fish Extender thing. I read a bit about that last night on the Dis boards and love adding extra magic.

I'm so excited to learn all about the cruise and plan everything. I'm a bit of a over planner, but this is a whole new experience for me!
Welcome Aboard! We have some first time cruisers too and one who cruised 30 years ago and is also afraid of getting sick but she will get something before cruising too.

We love to plan too. As we get closer to our cruise, I start to read many of the Western Caribbean cruise trip reports for any ideas, excursion tips, etc. There are not many people who do not enjoy cruising. You can try to do it all, or do absolutely nothing. I think we are on deck 8 forward and so far the other cabins are on deck 9 I think (it's been a while since I booked).

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMom View Post

Welcome!!! We are also relative cruise newbies... did a 4 night on the Wonder in 2008. It it helps your nervousness... my husband is also prone to motion sickness... especially buses or cars when he is not driving. He did not experience much discomfort on the cruise... a little mild effects the first day (slight headache and just feeling "off") but nothing major... and he did not take anything. By the second day it was gone. He said it was not anything super uncomfortable and he did not "feel" the ship swaying or anything like that. I would make sure you have stuff so you are prepared ... but you should be fine.

Yippee... I am so psyched you are interested in doing the fish extenders exchange... I have never done them before, but they look so fun! As we get closer to sailing, and add more people to this meet, I hope more folks will want to participate...

Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #29
rthomasson
Earning My Ears

Hi,
My husband & I have cruised before prior to children. This will be our 1st Disney cruise and first cruise for DS 11 and DS 9.
rthomasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #30
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasson View Post
Hi,
My husband & I have cruised before prior to children. This will be our 1st Disney cruise and first cruise for DS 11 and DS 9.
Welcome! Your kids are going to love it and have a great time!!!!!!!!!

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: