Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
ocd4disney
I have been known to number my socks to keep them properly paired
He has no clue
I usually run on...

Speaking of Black Friday........

I went out last night to walmart ( WHAT was I thinking?!?!?) to pick up some pajamas and jeans for my son and maybe some movies. It was pretty crowded of course but really not terrible (unless you wanted a TV which I didnt)

It was very crowded around the movie section, ppl were pressing in on me. I expected as much though. The movies were very close to the electronics and thats where most of the action was. I hurried to see the selection and then moved on.

I didnt have any issues witht he crowds or process until I got in line. I realize its crowded but shouldnt I still be allowed a small amount of personal space while in line? The person behind me kept crowding me. At first she didnt have a buggy but every time she turned to talk to her friend the stuff she was holding would push me. I moved to the side of my buggy, but then they both started leaning on it. I would NEVER lean on someone elses loaded buggy.

Then her friend found her a buggy ......and they kept pushing it into my buggy.

I guess what my question is......how much personal space should be expected while in line at a store and how much do you allow the person ahead of you? I like to give the person ahead of me some space...if I can smell their shampoo I am too close
Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

ITA!! Can't stand it when someone invades my space! I keep wondering do they really think that will get them through the line faster???

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
ocd4disney
He has no clue
I usually run on...

I know its black friday so I dont expect the normal amount of space due to the stores being crowded, but come on...I really dont want to know you had garlic mashed potatoes with your thanksgiving turkey
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

To quote the movie Dirty Dancing, "this is my dance space and this is your dance space." Said while arms are spread open and wide.

That is what my personal bubble is.

I hate when people get too close to me. I work in Retail and deal with a lot of different nationalities. There is a large difference about personal space around the globe.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I have a special personal space "move." I usually save it for hot, crowded theme park lines, but you can borrow as your situation dictates. Very simple. Hands on hips, very casual. But oh, do I hear something behind me? Spin quickly, hands still on hips. Did I hit you with my elbows? So sorry. Keep hands on hips and repeat as necessary.

I'm only occasionally passive-aggressive, but dang if I aint good at it!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

You get these pushy people at the themeparks too. I always want to tell them to back off but it's hard to know how to say it...nicely.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I think it a chain reaction, you have some breathing down your neck, You are going to move up to get them off your back.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
ocd4disney
He has no clue
I usually run on...

I think next year I want spicey chili with extra beans for thanksgiving dinner
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd4disney View Post
I went out last night to walmart ( WHAT was I thinking?!?!?) to pick up some pajamas and jeans for my son and maybe some movies. It was pretty crowded of course but really not terrible (unless you wanted a TV which I didnt)

It was very crowded around the movie section, ppl were pressing in on me. I expected as much though. The movies were very close to the electronics and thats where most of the action was. I hurried to see the selection and then moved on.

I didnt have any issues witht he crowds or process until I got in line. I realize its crowded but shouldnt I still be allowed a small amount of personal space while in line? The person behind me kept crowding me. At first she didnt have a buggy but every time she turned to talk to her friend the stuff she was holding would push me. I moved to the side of my buggy, but then they both started leaning on it. I would NEVER lean on someone elses loaded buggy.

Then her friend found her a buggy ......and they kept pushing it into my buggy.

I guess what my question is......how much personal space should be expected while in line at a store and how much do you allow the person ahead of you? I like to give the person ahead of me some space...if I can smell their shampoo I am too close
At most stores, you can expect ample space. At Walmart, you can expect to share your space with someone else's battering ram, err um, shopping cart.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
eduk8r26
DIS Veteran

We went to Walmart, too. Some stuff wasn't supposed to go on sale till midnight, but someone decided they wanted to buy it earlier. Only problem, when you got to the register, the sale wasn't allowed. So the clerks were taking back an awful lot of electronics. The lines were ridiculous. Then we went over to Target shortly after they opened. It was so much better. They had line control and things moved much faster. We got most of what we wanted and were back home by 2. Didn't have to get up at 4 this morning.
eduk8r26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
irishbosoxfan
BL II - Red Team
DIS Veteran
I took one of those biscuit cans in the chest a few years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd4disney View Post
I think next year I want spicey chili with extra beans for thanksgiving dinner

I'm pretty sure someone at my local Walmart did indeed have this for dinner yesterday!

LOL!

I learned a long time ago to mouth breathe only on BF!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
Maridw
DisneyMom to Disneylover0105
Love to Dance
Tinkerbell Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
I have a special personal space "move." I usually save it for hot, crowded theme park lines, but you can borrow as your situation dictates. Very simple. Hands on hips, very casual. But oh, do I hear something behind me? Spin quickly, hands still on hips. Did I hit you with my elbows? So sorry. Keep hands on hips and repeat as necessary.

I'm only occasionally passive-aggressive, but dang if I aint good at it!
This!!!!

Or like me, I use my hands when I talk, "Did you say something to me?" turn with hand up in the "slap the face" position. "No? Okay", turn back facing front. "Are you sure?" turning around again, with hand in same position.

I can't even stand my BFF sitting really close to me and we have squeezed into booths at restaurants, so that we are sitting hip to hip because we a group and they don't have tables. I have a hard time getting through the meal when we do that. I practically jump out of the booth at the end of the meal.
DL yearly 1969-78, Dec 99, Jul 04, Sept 06, Apr 07 FW 1972 SoG Nov 95, Jun 97, Jul 99, Nov 01 AS Sports Resort - Nov 2000; Apr & Nov 02; Mar & May 03; May & Oct 04, Apr 06 Coronado Springs Resort - Nov 03 Pop Century Mar/Apr, May, & Nov 05, Jan 06, Dec 11, Dec 12 Celebration World Resort Nov/Dec 09

It's A Girl - Natalie Grace! 4 years old now! Our dancing baby!

Maridw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #13
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
You get these pushy people at the themeparks too. .
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Whenever we go down to WDW, I end up *angry* with someone touching my ***. Not with their hands, of course, but some part of their body is bouncing into my ***.

I was SO tired one evening, when we headed to the Outlet Mall. I wanted a coffee SO bad. I saw Starbucks, angels started singing.... I headed in. There was a line of maybe 5 people, but I felt like they were all crowded around me. SO CLOSE.

I wanted to run out screaming, but I needed that damn coffee!

I ended up with a nasty Facebook status about backing off said booty.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Took me a while to figure out what in the world a "buggy" was- I thought it meant stroller for a baby!
No one would be leaning or pushing into my shopping cart because if I was in line I would be standing behind it leaning on it myself LOL. I hate when people crowd me in so I usually leave extra space between me and the person in front of me in case I have to move up a bit due to the person behind me being to close-which is all well and good unless they also move up then I am screwed LOL!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maridw View Post
This!!!!

Or like me, I use my hands when I talk, "Did you say something to me?" turn with hand up in the "slap the face" position. "No? Okay", turn back facing front. "Are you sure?" turning around again, with hand in same position.

This pic must be for you:

http://pinterest.com/pin/176766354093928331/
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: