Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
NWmom
DIS Veteran

I googled Seattle Sheraton and then clicked on directions. I put in Link light rail Westlake.

It said it was .6 miles. Of course you have to know they are routing by car so it went down the one way street (which you do not have to do walking) to go around the block leaving Westlake.

Then it went 3/4 around another block because of one way streets there.
LOL

It looks to be about 3-4 blocks. However, a slight uphill grade there.
It's doable. There are some hills I would say no way with luggage.

Last edited by NWmom; 11-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #17
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegdvc View Post
Does anyone know if the Sheraton hotel that is working with Disney is walk able from the west lake station light rail? It looks to be only a few blocks but want to make sure.
Thanks
Joe
It is a block and a half.

You can exit the Westlake Station at Nordstrom which is on Pine St. between 5th and 6th Ave. The Sheraton is on the corner of 6th and Pike.

If you have tons of luggage, take a cab. If you travel light the light rail works great.

Great info NWMom. Thanks for posting.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

Any locals have an opinion on these hotels...

We are flying in the day before the cruise and have been looking at the Doubletree Seattle Airport. It is suppose to have free shuttle to Westfield South Center Mal (l think that was the name) and we will have a few hours in the late afternoon/evening.

We will also be spending 2 nights after the cruise. We were looking at the Homewood Suites Seattle Convention Center - Pike Street. Is this a good location for at least some of the local attractions? We are thinking of getting the CityPASS.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Last edited by Grumpymom73; 11-27-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Grumpymom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #19
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpymom73 View Post
Any locals have an opinion on these hotels...

We are flying in the day before the cruise and have been looking at the Doubletree Seattle Airport. It is suppose to have free shuttle to Westfield South Center Mall (l think that was the name) and we will have a few hours in the late afternoon/evening.

We will also be spending 2 nights after the cruise. We were looking at the Homewood Suites Seattle Convention Center - Pike Street. Is this a good location for at least some of the local attractions? We are thinking of getting the CityPASS.

Thanks for any advice!!!
I have stayed at the Doubletree Seattle(by the airport) in 2002 for a conference, It was nice and clean. The food was good.

Westfield Southcenter Mall is in Tukwila. It is a regular mall, It has a Rainforest Cafe.
Unless you are looking to shop, there is not much to do there. There have been some problems at that mall in the last few years so we now avoid it at night.

Just want to clarify that Westlake is the name of the mall in downtown Seattle and they are not the same place.

Homewood Suites Seattle Convention Center is east of I-5. You may need a taxi to get to activities.
Others will chime in and may feel differently, but I think you will not be able to walk with the traffic. You are also getting into a steeper walk.
More info on the Homewood Suites- the pedestrian problem seems to be okay, however the rooms come with ear plugs. This is right over the freeway.

Last edited by NWmom; 11-29-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
I have stayed at the Doubletree Seattle(by the airport) in 2002 for a conference, It was nice and clean. The food was good.

Westfield Southcenter Mall is in Tukwila. It is a regular mall, It has a Rainforest Cafe.
Unless you are looking to shop, there is not much to do there. There have been some problems at that mall in the last few years so we now avoid it at night.

Just want to clarify that Westlake is the name of the mall in downtown Seattle and they are not the same place.

Homewood Suites Seattle Comnvention Center is east of I-5. You may need a taxi to get to activities.
Others will chime in and may feel differently, but I think you will not be able to walk with the traffic. You are also getting into a steeper walk.
Thanks for the advice and quick answer!!
I think we will go for the DoubleTree by the airport for the one night. We were only looking to walk around the mall for a little while and get something to eat. We will be leaving our house around 4:00AM that morning so we will be exhausted even with the time change.

As for the Homewood Suites....I think we will rethink that one. I don't want to take a taxi or have a hassle to get places. Any thoughts on the Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union on Fairview Ave North?

Thanks again for all your help and for setting up this thread!!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think we will go for the DoubleTree by the airport for the one night. We were only looking to walk around the mall for a little while and get something to eat. We will be leaving our house around 4:00AM that morning so we will be exhausted even with the time change.
Any thoughts on the Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union on FairviewAve North
Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union on Fairview Ave North gets good reviews as long as you are not parking (Narrow parking spaces). There is a **** stop right in front of the hotel. (****=South Lake Union Trolley) This also puts you close to a really nice grassy area park. I figure that is really important for anyone that has kids.

Last edited by NWmom; 11-29-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:

As for the Homewood Suites....I think we will rethink that one. I don't want to take a taxi or have a hassle to get places. Any thoughts on the Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union on Fairview Ave North?

The Residence Inn is not really within walking distance of anything downtown. (Pike Place Market, EMP, Space Needle, etc) It's probably close to a mile to walk to Seattle Center where the Space Needle, EMP, Science Center, etc are. It's not a walk I'd want to make. It's partially uphill, part of it walking on a narrow sidewalk through an underpass. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any real "family-friendly" restaurants in close proximity to the hotel. You'd have to go back closer to downtown for that. As NWmom said there is the trolly close to the hotel that would take you more into downtown. I don't consider the location of the Residence Inn "downtown'.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #23
NWmom
DIS Veteran

I am going to presume that most activities families are interested in (in Seattle) will include the Seattle Center, Waterfront/Pike Street Market and possibly Pioneer Square areas.

Being as many that go on Disney cruises are families, and most families are on budgets . . .

I am asking the others to suggest/share their best thoughts on family friendly hotel stay for a family with say 2-4 kids with:

1- Inexpensive or some ability to cut expenses on meals by either having free breakfasts or cooking abilities in the room.

2- that are close to Westlake Center, Seattle Center for ease of transportation as these seem to be the hub of downtown for connecting to one place or another.

3- Safe walking

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #24
Bunless
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen it mentioned, but Pier 91 is the same pier that Holland America uses, and there is quite a bit of information about how to negotiate it out there on other boards. It's not easy, even with the upgrades this past year.

For those who plan to buy liquor for their cruise, know that the liquor distribution laws will be new ones next year, so don't depend on what you read now as to how and where to buy. The changes will be in effect as of June 1, 2012, and there is expected to be some confusion during the months surrounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
Recommended Places to Eat
The Original Starbucks- across the street from Pike Place Market, but closely note that it is the only Starbuck's with the original logo and original logo merchandise is available. It took my daughter a couple of hard looks to realize the woman was baring skin! It's not actually the original. It's the oldest still around, but it's not the original.

Suggested you avoid eating there:
Food court at the Seattle Center where the Children's museum is located
reason-typical fast food andnothing special, boring over priced foodAGREED
I would love to have all the Seattle area locals contribute as well.
While I live on the Eastside, I'm also frequently downtown, in Ballard (Pier 91 is halfway between downtown and Ballard) and most of the other more trendy neighborhoods. I'm a foodie who likes to look for a good deal and I'm a champion of all things local, and I have several friends who work at the market. I'd love to be able to help out with questions, if you need something answered quickly, PM me so that I'm sure to see it.

[/QUOTE]

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise

Last edited by Bunless; 12-04-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunless View Post
For those who plan to buy liquor for their cruise, know that the liquor distribution laws will be new ones next year, so don't depend on what you read now as to how and where to buy. The changes will be in effect as of June 1, 2012, and there is expected to be some confusion during the months surrounding.
I'm thinking Costco is a sure bet once they put it in place

(For those not in the state Costco spent beaucoup bucks on commercials to encourage votes to change the law)
Details on this won't really be known until mid May for cruises after June 1.

For cruises before June 1- State Liquor stores will be where you have to go.

We do however promise it will be available.

Last edited by NWmom; 12-02-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #26
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

Wonderful thread! Thanks for starting this. Anyone know if an 11:30 am flight out of SEA is do-able on debarkation day or should I target something that leaves later?

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
DCLShel
"Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in their house?"

Subbin to thread - Thank you for all the wonderful information!!
Disney Fantasy: March, 2012 (Maiden Voyage); June, 2013;Disney Dream: Jan, 2011 (Maiden Voyage); Disney Magic: Oct, 2004; Oct, 2005; Aug, 2006; Oct, 2007; Sept, 2008; June, 2009; June, 2011 Disney Wonder:Oct, 2006; July, 2008, June, 2012; Nov, 2013 Platinum Baby!

DCLShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #28
caitlinsdad
DIS Veteran

Toying with the ideal of driving from Ct. Thanks for the info on Seattle.
I was there once on 1982, but so much has changed.
caitlinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #29
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinsdad View Post
Toying with the ideal of driving from Ct. Thanks for the info on Seattle.
I was there once on 1982, but so much has changed.
You're welcome. As for CT. I used to go there in summers. Clinton, CT

If you can figure out your driving time from Ct to Toledo, OH. I can help with the drive from Toledo, Oh to Seattle. I've done that several times. It's a great way to teach your child "America the Beautiful" as you encounter new things from the verses.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #30
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Can anyone recommend the best travel guide for Seattle? I am not a Fodor's type of person, In like the more off the beaten path type of books. We will probably only have 3 days if we do this so I'd like to do some research!

Thanks!

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: