Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Ms Poppins
I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk

Abbey's Birthday Trip - Pre-Trippie

Pre-Trippie
Abbey's Birthday Trip - Sunday 6 May – Thursday 10 May

Cast:
Me – Julie (37)
DH – John (41)
DD – Abbey (15 on our arrival date!)
DS – Lewis (7)

Our 20th Anniversary trip is finally in sight and I thought I’d try and calm my excitement by starting my trip report

Last trip was July last year, and we had a fabulous time. Refurbs were in full flow throughout the park and the recent completion of the Castle took my breath away. We were all really looking forward to an Anniversary trip, but couldn’t quite agree when or how as our funds were pretty low.

So I started pricing and trying to fit everything in with school holidays, exam times, and possible Uni holidays (DS1, Mark will hopefully be starting in October), when Mark dropped a bombshell and said he wasn’t bothered about coming this time My brainwashing had definitely worn off – or maybe he was just angling for a trip with his mates instead. It turned out he was, and let slip that his pals had all booked themselves a week’s holiday away in June, and that he really wanted to go with them. He’s 18 on the Friday before we leave, so we said we’d pay for it as a Birthday present.

I’ll just get this out of the way now – I’m absolutely gutted that he’s not coming with us but I’m not going to dwell on it. And, I can’t possibly do a trip report for DLP without him in it, so here is my favourite photo of them all last July:

The plus side though is that we weren’t as restricted with dates or prices as we would only need 1 room instead of 2 I don’t mind the kids not being in school for a couple of days, and with that in mind, we decided that we’d arrange the holiday for the beginning of May where there’s a bank holiday. This also coincides with Abbey’s birthday (2 days after Mark’s, very poor planning!) which she is delighted with

Travel
We drove last year and DH said ‘never again’. It was actually ok in France but we hit many, many roadworks in the UK and it did exhaust us. Eurostar is my favourite way of getting to DLP, but again the dreaded roadworks might hinder us. We’ve not flown to DLP since the very first time in 1998 and I really felt our first and last day’s park tickets were a waste. However, I checked out flight times and found reasonable ones this time, with the intention of staying off-site for the first and last nights. A sale was on, so on the spur of the moment I booked our flights back in January. Our flight gets in at 19:00, and I’ve arranged for Ezyshuttle to shuttle us to the magic!

Hotel
I intended to book off-site for the first night and transfer to on-site the following morning. I was then going to book 2 nights at on-site hotel and move off-site again for the last night (to keep costs down). Also we don’t need tickets for the last day as the flight is earlier in the day. However, when the discounts started popping up, it worked out cheaper for us to be onsite from the first night, as 3 night stays benefited from 40% off plus the bonus of the parks opening late swung it meaning the first day’s park tickets wouldn’t be a complete waste. Anyone who knows me on here won’t be surprised to learn that we’re at the Hotel New York again – love it

So, it’s 3 nights at HNY and then we’ll move off-site for the last night. Ezyshuttle need to pick us up at 08:20 on the last day and I would feel sick if I knew I had park tickets in by bag going to waste! I’ve not booked off-site yet, but will likely be Kyriad or Dream Castle, unless Shareholders line can come up trumphs!

Meals
We don’t have these completely planned yet, think we might and wait to see what we feel like when we’re there. But will most probably eat at the following:

Eos
Annette's – want to see this all shiny and new!
Rainforest Café – Abbey loved it here last time
Cowboy Cookout – going to try this as alternative to Café Mickey
Blockbuster Café – love the Croques here
Plaza Gardens – like the look of the buffet
Toad Hall – a tasty fish supper
Walts – hoping for a Dreams special here!

Looking forward to
EMH – a must for our Peter Pan fix
Dreams!!! Want to see this on our first night for Abbey’s Birthday
Princess Pavillion – kids not really bothered about characters but I want to see the inside, just ‘cos it’s new!
Central Plaza – so looking forward to the view without that ghastly stage!
Stitch – despite this being in our plans in previous years, we’ve still never done it!
Casey Junior – another one we always miss
Pizza Planet – just for a peek as Lewis wants to see RC at the door
Enjoy the pool at HNY
Try to get to Studios for opening to do Crush/parachutes
Late park hours, just like summer!
Flying and the extra time we’ll have (hopefully)

Celebrating Abbey's Birthday at DLP again. She had her first birthday here, along with Mark's 4th Birthday. Here they were - 15 years ago!!

I’m hoping that with everything open and it not being school holidays, it won’t be as busy as it was last summer. I know there is a French holiday when we’re there. We missed a lot at the Studios last time, due to taking a day trip to Paris and it being really busy so hope to make up for it this time.

Weather wise as long as it’s not too wet, I’ll be happy. But I would love to see the castle in the sun

The mega planning phase has now started
Ms Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
deepblue
Mouseketeer

Hello birthday trip buddy! My goodness, how your kids have grown :-) Sorry your eldest won't be with you but hurray that your 15yo is still excited by Disney. I know exactly what you mean about wasted tickets. Our flight times are very poor, from park entry point of view, but worked out better for us overall. We'd have love to gone direct Eurostar as we've done before but it was super expensive!
deepblue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

happy planning hope you'll have a fantastic trip xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
RoseBug
I'm a Geordie, we don't own coats and go out in the snow barefoot!

Bloody lads holidays eh? I guess at 18 DLP isn't cool for a lad!

Your trip sounds fab! Enjoy!
Disneyland California July 1998 *Day trip* Disneyland Paris August 2004 *Kyriad* Disneyland Paris February 2007 *Day Trip whilst visiting Paris*Disneyland Paris June 2009 *New York* Disneyland Paris February 2012 *Cheyenne* Disneyland Paris August 2012 *Newport Bay Hotel Admirals Floor* Disneyland Paris February 2014 *The Disneyland Hotel* Disneyland Paris February 2015 *The Disneyland Hotel*

RoseBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Ms Poppins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseBug View Post
Bloody lads holidays eh? I guess at 18 DLP isn't cool for a lad!

Your trip sounds fab! Enjoy!
He's said that he still wants to come back with us, but this trip was a toss up between DLP and his mates. I think he knew if he came with us we'd spend double because we would need a second room. So the money we 'saved' has been spent on his 'Inbetweeners holiday'

When we win the Morrisions holiday, I'm sure he'll be on board
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
RoseBug
I'm a Geordie, we don't own coats and go out in the snow barefoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms poppins View Post
he's said that he still wants to come back with us, but this trip was a toss up between dlp and his mates. I think he knew if he came with us we'd spend double because we would need a second room. So the money we 'saved' has been spent on his 'inbetweeners holiday'

when we win the morrisions holiday, i'm sure he'll be on board
lol!
Disneyland California July 1998 *Day trip* Disneyland Paris August 2004 *Kyriad* Disneyland Paris February 2007 *Day Trip whilst visiting Paris*Disneyland Paris June 2009 *New York* Disneyland Paris February 2012 *Cheyenne* Disneyland Paris August 2012 *Newport Bay Hotel Admirals Floor* Disneyland Paris February 2014 *The Disneyland Hotel* Disneyland Paris February 2015 *The Disneyland Hotel*

RoseBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

Julie, I am sure you will all have a fantastic time. It is a shame about Mark but totally understand about him wanting to go with his friends .

The photos of Mark & Abbey when they are little are fabulous - wasn't Abbey a bonnie baby (and she is a stunner now too) . I hope that she has a great birthday!

Don't forget to take lots (more!) photos of the HNY for me .
Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Ms Poppins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPDreams View Post
Don't forget to take lots (more!) photos of the HNY for me .
I always end up taking the same ones, so will try to take some of areas I haven't before. If you want to see anything specific let me know (except the breakfast buffet...I think I'd look a complete idiot taking pics of all that )

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
Hello birthday trip buddy! My goodness, how your kids have grown :-) Sorry your eldest won't be with you but hurray that your 15yo is still excited by Disney. I know exactly what you mean about wasted tickets. Our flight times are very poor, from park entry point of view, but worked out better for us overall. We'd have love to gone direct Eurostar as we've done before but it was super expensive!
We were always lucky with eurostar prices - it's by far the easiest way to get there. Note to self - move to London.....or better still Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum View Post
happy planning hope you'll have a fantastic trip xx
Thanks - hope so too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseBug View Post
lol!
I'm trying to be cool about the whole thing, but I really think I'll need to be knocked out the week he actually goes. I wish he was 4 again all tucked up in bed

Last edited by Ms Poppins; 04-28-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
loladelorean
The Disney Pro!!!

Yay you've got your PTR - I love that you say you haven't planned meals, then go on to list the meals you "haven't" planned
It is sad that Mark isn't going along with you this time, but I bet that doesn't mean his Disney days are over! And you'll have a fantastic time, the four of you. He'll be jealous when he sees the photos and beg to come next time
Delighted you're staying at HNY and got a good deal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Poppins View Post

We were always lucky with eurostar prices - it's by far the easiest way to get there. Note to self - move to London.....or better still Paris
I'm moving to London at the start of September - you're going to see a spike in my DLP activity...
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Ms Poppins

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladelorean View Post
I'm moving to London at the start of September - you're going to see a spike in my DLP activity...
OOOO, so jealous......make sure you get a place big enough for 5 guests
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
MelanieRavenswood
Mouseketeer

Good to read another May PTR to HNY! I'll be checking back regularly for inspiration for mine

Sad that your eldest isn't going to make it this time round, but so lovely that he felt he could tell you guys and that you're so supportive with his lads holiday. . Bet he'll come along next time. No one is immune to DLP withdrawl symptoms once you've experienced the magic

Nice touch with the baby pics - so very cute!! Happy planning!

MelanieRavenswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

Julie - I'd be the same, trying to be cool but needing tranquilised while they are away. I worry now about it and they are still little! Saying all that, he will be fine and will be asking when he can go back to DLRP with you again I'm sure!

We nearly moved to France about 5 years ago with DH's work. Have to say I wasn't keen at the time (it all fell through anyway), but clearly wasn't thinking straight as our Disney trips would have been SO much easier!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more on your PTR

PS - Any photos are good thanks. I used to take photos of the DLH breakfast when we stayed (the first time) to post on here - I did get some funny looks .
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
Ms Poppins

After watching Dreams at least 5 times today, I just wanted to share my excitement 5 weeks today and we'll be there

I watched it on the laptop last night and again this morning with Lewis. He was mesmerised, as was I. Then I watched 2 different versions with Abbey, where we spotted different things. Finally, I managed to work out how Mark's ps3 works and put it on our LCD to get a big picture. WOW, what a difference that made. I am now more excited than I think I've ever been for a trip to DLP

Abbey is a bit too. She even watched Cinderella after tea tonight - she'll be 15 in a month's time

Anyway, I'm still working through our meal plans and trying to figure out if we could do Walts for the Dreams package. I'm not overly keen on the menu, but it would probably be ok - but don't think DH will be convinced. Think I'll do what everyone else is doing and wait for some feedback from those who have been and done.

Also happy to see that Captain Hook's Ship is open and waiting for us I've spent today telling Lewis that Captain Hook won't actually be on the ship, but I don't think he believes me He's the reason we won't bother with Cafe Mickey this time. Lewis seems to completely over-react when he sees him and gets really freaked out for some reason So we end up spending our entire meal watching for him coming near the table and Lewis seat hopping to avoid him. We'll try Cowboy Cookout for a change.

Love all the new pictures that have been posted here, Mickey Meet, the parade, the entrance to the park etc. I really need to calm down
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Great trip you have planned there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Poppins View Post
After watching Dreams at least 5 times today, I just wanted to share my excitement 5 weeks today and we'll be there
Glad it's not just me - I watched each version 3 times on Saturday night!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
smallpig
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a fantastic trip- think we are there the week before so fingers crossed for good weather! Great that your DD still loves Disney

Have to say that being ten mins from st pancras is brilliant when it comes to Disney trips! Very tempting!

Trip reports

No TR but Orlando and WDW - Feb/March 13

June 2011: Very hot summer trip report

October 2011 Halloween trip

April 2012
We just can't stay away...
smallpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: