Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
kookiblah
Earning My Ears

Where to stay with a 10 month old?

I'm new here but not new to WDW. I have been several times and stayed at Pop Century every time before. This time my DH and I will be travelling with our DD who will be 10 months old when we travel (end of January).

I'm a bit strict when it comes to DDs bedtime (she goes to sleep for the night around 6pm). I know I can't be so strict when we are at WDW but I am looking for the best option that will maximize her ability to sleep and nap. She will nap in her stroller, but not very well (she may learn by the time we leave Disney).

Originally we wanted to stay at the Polynesian, because I've always wanted to stay there, but mostly because it's on the monorail line and what I've heard is you can stroll the stroller on without having to fold it up. But now I'm concerned that my DH and I won't be able to do anything after she goes to bed because she'll be sleeping in the main area. So we thought about staying in a Boardwalk Villa so that we can put her to sleep in the bedroom and then we can watch tv and talk in the main area. I've never had any real desire to stay at Boardwalk, and reviews don't seem great, but part of me thinks this is the best option, despite it not being on the monorail line.

If she falls asleep in her stroller, then it's not such an issue. But if she doesn't, I want the option to be able to put her to bed without DH and I being bored stiff just lying in the dark.

What do people do when travelling with an infant?? Is there a way we can section off a polynesian room so she is in the dark?? Is it better to stay at a Boardwalk Villa?? ANY advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, my SIL works at Epcot so we'll be getting 40% off. Yay!

Thanks in advance.
kookiblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

In a regular resort room, there's really no way to block off part of the room to have some of it dark for your DD to sleep and also give you and your DH a place to sit and watch tv. Have you considered BLT? I'm not sure what kind of availability there would be for a 1 bedroom villa this close to your trip, but it might be worth checking out since you want to be on the monorail and you're not that thrilled about the Boardwalk. Good luck .
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I would look into Bay Lake Tower or Boardwalk Villas.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

We're staying at BLT in a 1 bedroom next October when our DD is 11 months old. We booked a theme park view with our DVC points so that way we can put DD to bed in the bedroom and then watch Wishes from the living room. You could see if they have any 1 bedrooms at BLT available for a cash stay with your SIL's discount.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Kimberle
WL Vet

You could look into the 1bd at BLT (Bay Lake Tower). Wilderness Lodge has deluxe rooms which are 2 rooms w/ a door between. They are more expensive. They are also Concierge so you'd have the advantage of the lounge and all the goodies. WL has a boat to MK where you don't have to fold your stroller.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

I would check about renting points from a DVC owner for BLT we did that last February and the Monorail was PERFECT for sleeping kids in a stroller. The 1 bedroom (we had a 2 br) will give you separate rooms for nap time. If the BLT are all booked for 1br, check out VWL. You won't have the monorail, but they do have a ferry that goes directly to MK. So, if you were at Epcot and your 10 month old was about to sleep in the stroller, you could ride the monorail from Epcot back to the TTC, transfer monorails to MK, and take the ferry to VWL. I don't believe you have to fold the stroller on the ferry as it is rather large, unlike the little ferry boats between resorts and Downtown Disney.
luckyman_apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

I would stay in a camper because it is quiet and you can put her to sleep in the bedroom!

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
nadira36
DIS Veteran

I think a lot depends on you and your baby - At home our DD1 was a 5-5 kind of girl (DD2 was 8-8, and DD3 is happy with 7-7) however on vacation we wore our LOs as much as possible and they'd sleep on our chest or back while we went about our day. It was great - as they got older they either wouldn't nap or would take a much later nap and get a much later bedtime as well - however that had almost no bearing on how they slept once home - after 1-2 days they were back to their regular sleep times.

If your LO usually requires lots of pacing, cuddles, quiet, dark etc etc in order to even sleep in the first place you may have a tough time - then being as close as possible to the resort as much as possible would be best - if MK is the number 1 place you'll be, then the Poly would make the most sense. However, if it's YOU who makes everything ark, quiet etc and your DD doesn't actually require it in order to fall asleep, then anywhere would be fine.

Either way I do recommend a carrier of some sort (Ergo, Beco, Bebo etc) we've found it makes things so much easier when we have a sleepy baby just to attach baby to one of us and go about our day - no matter what time it is - even staying out late and letting our Los have 1-2 hour naps late in the evening, then sleeping around midnight - and up at a ridiculously early time the next day.

But we're more of the mind that at home we manipulate the environment as much as possible for our babies, but when out we help them adjust. And we do a fair amount of traveling with LOs

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children
nadira36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
DisneyWishes14
Mouseketeer

I would definitely look into a Villa. On our first trip with DS when he was 1, we stayed at Poly and although it was beautiful, we were absolutely stuck when he went to sleep at 7 pm.

If you are going to be in MK most of the time I would check BLT first, with VWL as my second choice. BLT is awesome - monorail and walking access to MK. VWL has bus and boat service to MK - not as convenient at BLT, but you get the extra space.

If you are going to be in EP and DHS most of the time, I would check BWV and BCV. Walking to EP and boating to DHS without ever folding a stroller - priceless!
DisneyWishes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiblah View Post
I'm new here but not new to WDW. I have been several times and stayed at Pop Century every time before. This time my DH and I will be travelling with our DD who will be 10 months old when we travel (end of January).

I'm a bit strict when it comes to DDs bedtime (she goes to sleep for the night around 6pm). I know I can't be so strict when we are at WDW but I am looking for the best option that will maximize her ability to sleep and nap. She will nap in her stroller, but not very well (she may learn by the time we leave Disney).

Originally we wanted to stay at the Polynesian, because I've always wanted to stay there, but mostly because it's on the monorail line and what I've heard is you can stroll the stroller on without having to fold it up. But now I'm concerned that my DH and I won't be able to do anything after she goes to bed because she'll be sleeping in the main area. So we thought about staying in a Boardwalk Villa so that we can put her to sleep in the bedroom and then we can watch tv and talk in the main area. I've never had any real desire to stay at Boardwalk, and reviews don't seem great, but part of me thinks this is the best option, despite it not being on the monorail line.

If she falls asleep in her stroller, then it's not such an issue. But if she doesn't, I want the option to be able to put her to bed without DH and I being bored stiff just lying in the dark.

What do people do when travelling with an infant?? Is there a way we can section off a polynesian room so she is in the dark?? Is it better to stay at a Boardwalk Villa?? ANY advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, my SIL works at Epcot so we'll be getting 40% off. Yay!

Thanks in advance.
At first we stayed in DVC studios at old key west and the beach club, which are a bit roomier than a regular room. Now we stay in 2 BR at Bonnet Creek. Cheaper, and lots more room.

We napped when our baby napped. In the evening, we would read or watch TV quietly. Perhaps bring back some desert to the room.

For us it was a different experience visiting Disney when you have a young one. Much less about going on attractions and more about walking around and people watching.

When the kids get older, and you are running around the parks all day, you will miss the "quiet" trips.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Scarlett81
Mommy to my princess and lil pirate

Yes been there!!
We've traveled all over (disney and non-disney) with babies, all types of rooms and accomodations. Just returned from a week at dis with a 4 yr old and a 6 month old. There were blissful moments, and stressful moments. But mostly blissful.
There's SO many things you could do, and options you have.
There is no perfect hotel or room-only pros and cons. What is your budget? Is it important to you to be near MK and the monorail? Is a bigger room with privacy for you and DH more important?-if so, you'll have to put your money towards that over the location of the hotel. With you LO's age-which park and restaurants are you more likely to be near?

One thing I've learned on vacations is that they always sleep better for some reason. My 6 month old slept like a rock in disney-never woke up once at night, and usually he nurses 4 times at night. I want to go back just so I can get a full nights sleep hahaha! I think its being out in the fresh air, I swear.
My difficult 4 yr old sleeper?-In disney, forget it, by 8 pm she's asking me to go to bed, and falling asleep in the stroller, out for the night and not up until 9 am.

Personally, I'd really let the nap/nighttime issue go. If its your first trip then I get it, bc I worried about the same things. But it will probably work out fine. Something I would suggest is getting a room with a balcony-DH and I love to sit out there with a glass of wine after the kids go to sleep, or early in the morning before they're up. (with coffee, not wine...lol)
Another thing we did with DD was put her pack n play in the bathroom/entry area. Its usually spacious enough to fit it, and dark over there. Thats worked for us at most hotels.
For me, I can't stand unfolding and folding/lugging that stroller on and off buses, so I chose that over room size, to be on the monorail.
GF has a deluxe size room with a separate sitting area thats probably dark enough at night for a pack n play-its just a bit more than a standard room, but not a suite. Personally I found GF's standard rooms very spacious for us, DD and DS full size crib.
If you are set on a separate room, I'd do BLT's villas, Wilderness lodge room or cabin with 2 rooms. Beach Club villas are nice but not on monorail.-never been to Boardwalk villas but I'm sure they're very nice.

CF Make a Wish Trip O/S-87' Fort Wilderness Campground-99' O/S-03' O/S-04' O/S-08' O/S-09' Beach Club-10' Grand Floridian-11' FW Cabins-11'
Sister's/Girl's Trip AKL 12' Princess Half Marathon Finisher!!! (Dolphin) 13' Beach Club weekend coming up! 13' Headed to Princess Half Marathon 2014!!! WOOO HOOO!!

Other dream come true's along the way:Our Hawaiian honeymoon, Paris, St. Bart's/St. Maarten, Dubai, Oman, Prague, Salzberg & Vienna, Austria, Egypt-climbing Mt. Sinai, Rome, Capri and Positano, Italy, Istanbul Turkey, Ephesus, Greece, Sicily and Spain!!!
Scarlett81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
nklooz
Mouseketeer

BLT or CR w/TPV!!

I agree, naps and bedtimes are important for them to enjoy the rest of their time. Don't sacrifice that, stick to it, allowing reasonable flexibilty for the best time possible for all.

Here are my reasons for sayig BLT or CR w/TPV after doing our own search for trip w/DD2

1.) Monorail, and more specifically, monorail first stop coming home from park when she's tired and ready to get back vs going to park.
2.) Walking path to resort vs. just monorail. Maybe she's asleep or close to sleep in her stroller and you want to stroll her back?
3.) Guaranteed balcony vs. Poly where you can't get a guaranteed balcony. Place for you to go once she falls asleep. plus, TPV for watching fireworks and enjoying your evening once she's asleep.
4.) Compact vs. spread out like the Poly for ease of 1 of yuo being able to do stuff/ grab food, drinks, etc. around the resort post bedtime or during naptime.
5.) Chef Mickey's!
6.) Signature dining on site unlike Poly in case you and your spouse want a nice signature dinner that is as easy as possible to do w/little one. Having the signature at the resort makes it logistically easier. GF has this on site, but I think the CR character dining is better for a little one, the TPV is more affordable, and you can't beat the walking path and the first monorail stop the way that matters the most (imo).
nklooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
nklooz
Mouseketeer

I would also add that I would think w/a 10 mo you'll spend more time at MK vs. EP or HS, so CR or BLT would make more sense than BWV.
nklooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
MMrules
DIS Veteran

While not one of your choices, I stayed at AKL with my 11 month old son (who was very difficult to get to sleep at the time and he crashed every night). AKV are great b/c they are fairly new and the 1 bedroom has 2 bathrooms so that will help with getting ready with a sleeping baby. They also have balcony's that overlook the savana which is something you could do while the baby was sleeping. It is also very quiet and peaceful and a wonderful resort for babies to rest at (As is WLV). It is really not too difficult to bring a stroller onto the buses. Yes, you have to fold them up, but usually the baby will sleep on you anyways. If you went with WLV you can take the boat to MK and you don't need to fold up the strollers there either.

I would look into the lodges either Animal kingdom or wilderness. They are perfect and peaceful for babies.

97-CBR, 98-CBR, 03-BC,04-DCL, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, 09-CBR, 11-WL (solo trip) BCV (1st DVC member trip) AKV, 12-WL, BCV, BWV 13-BWV 14-VWL

MMrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infant, resort, sleeping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: