Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

Will we like the Dream 4 night as much as the Magic 7 Night?

My family will be taking our second cruise in January. Both cruises will be in January, on the Magic for 7 nights. We will be booking on board for Thanksgiving 2013.

Sounds like by the time we cruise the 2013 we will know where the Magic & Wonder will be going. Right now our only choices are the Fantasy Western Caribbean 7 night (same cruise we are taking in Jan. minus KW/add Costa Maya & almost double of what we are paying now). or the 4 night Bahama on the Dream (about the same price as we are paying now, somewhere we have never been & on a newer ship).

From what we have to choose from so far, we would all pick the Dream. Would we be happy with only 4 nights after taking two 7 night cruises???? Not sure if we would take the Magic or Wonder if they weren't going to CC. Would have to love the ports.

I would love any feedback from anyone that has done a longer cruise (like a 7 night) & then a shorter cruise (like a 4 night).

Thanks!

Our "Magic" cruises:
Our First cruise - Eastern Caribbean Cruise 1/29/11
Second Cruise - Western Caribbean Cruise 1/21/12
Loriekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We did 4 7-night cruises, a 15-night cruise and then made the mistake to think that we would enjoy a quick 3-night cruise because of the kids free offer. The 4-night might be a bit better than a 3-night because we had no down time/sea day. There are many activities that they simply can't schedule on a 3/4 night that they do on the 7-night cruises. The kids are close to your son's age and kept asking to do things they enjoyed on previous cruises but they weren't offered.

We went to Alaska and didn't have CC, but if given the choice between a western/eastern and another Alaska, would jump at that. Going to CC is nice, but I wouldn't choose a 4 day over a 7 day for it.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
kathi
DIS Veteran

We also generally do week long cruises on the Magic. We did a quick 3 night on the Dream in September just to check it out. We LOVED THE SHIP, but 3 nights was terribly short.

There is so much to do on the Dream and the ship is beautiful. I would definitely recommend you try it but it will not be "the same" as a week long cruise. Even Disney cannot bend time!
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I hadn't done a shorter cruise (3-4 nights) in about 7 years, until last summer when we did a 4 night cruise. It wasn't nearly long enough, but I still had a good time.
I just did a 3 night on the Dream, and hated it. It was way too short, especially with the new ship and needing to learn where everything was. To me, it felt like being on another cruise line completely. Nothing familiar about it. I think it would have been better for me if it had been at least 4 nights.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Otimon
DIS Veteran

No matter whether you do a 3, 4, or 7 night cruise, they will all be too short. We've done all three over the years.

Take the 4 night Dream and enjoy all that it has to offer. You're going to love it!

Best wishes.
Otimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I would NOT wait until you are onboard in January to book a 2013 holiday cruise. I would book the Dream now, and then recheck prices when you are onboard. It's quite possible that prices will increase more between now and then than you would save with the 10% onboard booking discount and $100 onboard credit. If the price hasn't gone up much, then you can "reshop" the cruise when onboard to get the better deal.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi View Post
We also generally do week long cruises on the Magic. We did a quick 3 night on the Dream in September just to check it out. We LOVED THE SHIP, but 3 nights was terribly short.

There is so much to do on the Dream and the ship is beautiful. I would definitely recommend you try it but it will not be "the same" as a week long cruise. Even Disney cannot bend time!
We seemed to have found the magical dividing line - 3 days is really too short, but the move to 4 or more days makes for a truly magical cruise. Maybe it is the sea day that really is fun, since on the 3 day you don't get to see much ocean at all (both days are mostly in port).
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much!

I really appreciate all of the advice, it has truly helped. Different perspectives always help. We will wait to see what the Magic/Wonder have to ofter.

Our "Magic" cruises:
Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriekins View Post
I really appreciate all of the advice, it has truly helped. Different perspectives always help. We will wait to see what the Magic/Wonder have to ofter.
There is no guarantee that the Magic and Wonder 2013 itineraries will be available by the time you cruise in January. If you really want to cruise Thanksgiving week and are seriously considering the Dream, I would book it ASAP.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
dthogue
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

We have done several 4 nights and two 7 nights - If I had my choice I would chose 7 nights over 4 nights, but if all that was available was 4 nights I would do it.

We just did b2b 4 nights, than 3 nights - I would never do a 3 night by itself, just way too short.

dthogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogue View Post
We have done several 4 nights and two 7 nights - If I had my choice I would chose 7 nights over 4 nights, but if all that was available was 4 nights I would do it.

We just did b2b 4 nights, than 3 nights - I would never do a 3 night by itself, just way too short.

I think that is how we feel. The only thing that would get us on the 4 night now is the price & to do legoland or WDW before hand. I looked at doing a B2B & it was WAY TOO much.

I agree that a 3 night is too short, I wish they had a 5 night. Only way I would even think about doing a 4 night is doing something else too. Too long to go from Michigan.

Our "Magic" cruises:
Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I would NOT wait until you are onboard in January to book a 2013 holiday cruise. I would book the Dream now, and then recheck prices when you are onboard. It's quite possible that prices will increase more between now and then than you would save with the 10% onboard booking discount and $100 onboard credit. If the price hasn't gone up much, then you can "reshop" the cruise when onboard to get the better deal.

Thanks for the advice but there isn't anything out there right now that makes me want to rush & book now.

Our "Magic" cruises:
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriekins View Post
Thanks for the advice but there isn't anything out there right now that makes me want to rush & book now.
I think what Nancy was trying to say was that if cruising Thanksgiving 2013 on a 4 day Dream is even a remote possibility it is best to book it now to lock in the current price ... since it is a popular cruise time the price can go up significantly ($1000s) in a relatively short time.

If something better opens up (e.g. Magic or Wonder 2013 itineraries that you like) you can always move your existing booking to that new date. You could then check out the prices when you cruise in January ... if you get a better deal onbaord, book it and cancel what you currently have. (There is no penalty to cancel prior to 75 days out ... unless you are looking to book a suite.)

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
DL1957
DIS Veteran

We have done nothing shorter than 7 days since 1999 and nothing shorter than 12 days since 2004 by either doing long cruises or b2b. That being said we are going on the 4 day Dream in December we are calling it our exploration cruise soley to see how the ship is. We are also going on a 5 day out of NYC in September. Plan to enjoy the ship and not think about how short our time will be!
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
We have done nothing shorter than 7 days since 1999 and nothing shorter than 12 days since 2004 by either doing long cruises or b2b. That being said we are going on the 4 day Dream in December we are calling it our exploration cruise soley to see how the ship is. We are also going on a 5 day out of NYC in September. Plan to enjoy the ship and not think about how short our time will be!
I am doing exactly the same thing- doing a 4 night on the Dream in February to solely enjoy the ship and get familiar with the layout, offerings, etc to make sure that on the 5 night Dream cruise in May with my parents, one of which is a first time cruiser, get to enjoy it that much more by me being able to steer them in the right direction, having had some experience/familiarity.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: