Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
DrPierreMcDuck
Mouseketeer

Gay characters (and couples) in Disney shows and movies

(Note: I wasn't sure whether this belonged in the Gay and Lesbian section, but since that section's description says it is about Disney experiences, I figured this would be a better fit. If I am wrong about that, I apologize and hopefully a mod will move it.)

It is a fact that you don't see many gay characters in family entertainment. Sure, there are sometimes minor characters that fit the old stereotypes, but you pretty much never see a prince with a prince or princess with a princess.

Now, one can argue that this is just a reflection of the fact that most people do not belong to that group, but that is also true of many other minority groups that do get explicit representation in family entertainment.

One could also say that the matter is "too adult" for such entertainment, but is it really more inappropriate for a child to watch a prince seeking a prince instead of a princess?

When do you think Disney will have its first gay lead character? When will we see a princess seeking a princess? 10 years from now? 20? Never?
DrPierreMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPierreMcDuck View Post
(Note: I wasn't sure whether this belonged in the Gay and Lesbian section, but since that section's description says it is about Disney experiences, I figured this would be a better fit. If I am wrong about that, I apologize and hopefully a mod will move it.)

It is a fact that you don't see many gay characters in family entertainment. Sure, there are sometimes minor characters that fit the old stereotypes, but you pretty much never see a prince with a prince or princess with a princess.

Now, one can argue that this is just a reflection of the fact that most people do not belong to that group, but that is also true of many other minority groups that do get explicit representation in family entertainment.

One could also say that the matter is "too adult" for such entertainment, but is it really more inappropriate for a child to watch a prince seeking a prince instead of a princess?

When do you think Disney will have its first gay lead character? When will we see a princess seeking a princess? 10 years from now? 20? Never?
I dunno why they would need a gay character?
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
Well, in all honesty there are people who would say the same thing about black, latino, asian, etc characters. Because there are gay people, like black, latino, asian, etc people who are Disney fans and would like to have their culture represented in their films.

To answer the OP.... it's going to be a long, long, time to see a gay main character.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
SyracuseOrange44
US expat in London; Disney is my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
We have an Asian princess, a black one, a Native American, a red head, a Middle Eastern princess....maybe it is time Disney had a lesbian one?

Probably won't happen, though.
SyracuseOrange44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Look at the big hub bub over Princess and the Frog, and Tiana being the first black princess of the Disney line up. There have been other black characters, but never a princess.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPierreMcDuck View Post

We don't do prince 'n princesses, we do Kings 'n Queens.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Remus View Post
We don't do prince 'n princesses, we do Kings 'n Queens.
*snort*
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskagirlchrissie View Post
Honestly, that is a situation I would not even want to try and explain to my small child. It would be a really bad move on Disney's part.

I don't get this. Why would it be so hard or bad to explain?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I can't see Disney wanting to deal with the fallout from that decision. Disney is in the business of making money, not starting controversy and like it or not, this would cause controversy.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

A couple of the previous posts in this thread are exactly why I think that, sadly, it will be at least another decade before Disney even has a minor character in one of their family movies that is gay. I would love to see that part of reality portrayed in the fantasy world of Disney though.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I can't see Disney wanting to deal with the fallout from that decision. Disney is in the business of making money, not starting controversy and like it or not, this would cause controversy.
I agree....I could see maybe them doing a gay character...but not a prince and prince and princess and princess.....

And would this be not more to appease the adults than the children?

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Got Disney" View Post
I agree....I could see maybe them doing a gay character...but not a prince and prince and princess and princess.....

And would this be not more to appease the adults than the children?
I agree that it would be more about the adults than the kids. I doubt that young kids would really care one way or the other but sadly too many adults would and some would likely make a big fuss about it.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskagirlchrissie View Post
Honestly, that is a situation I would not even want to try and explain to my small child. It would be a really bad move on Disney's part.
Huh? I can't believe that in almost 2012, we are still here...but we are here because people still find it wrong or bad, and that is truly sad to me, that my baby boy of 4, has more understanding, love and tolerance than so many adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
I don't get this. Why would it be so hard or bad to explain?
My youngest child at 4, knows that there are many different types of families in the world, and so I still don't understand this line of thinking that certain familes are preferred over others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
A couple of the previous posts in this thread are exactly why I think that, sadly, it will be at least another decade before Disney even has a minor character in one of their family movies that is gay. I would love to see that part of reality portrayed in the fantasy world of Disney though.
Exactly.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Well, they won't show Song of the South for fear of offending... I doubt they are going to have openly gay characters for fear of offending.

It will be a long time- but it will happen! Once people stop being afraid of our differences and start embracing our sameness....

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
december
DIS Veteran

Disney is a business, and they know that a move like this would lead to too much negative publicity. Yes, it is sad, but I have a coworker who loves to tell me that she will never take her kids to Disney because they are "too supportive of homoseshuls". She's heard all the Gay Days stories, and doesn't care that it isn't a Disney sponsored event. There are many more like her.....

You should have seen her face when I was talking about my kids, and how funny my son is when I tell him (repeatedly-want my kids to know it is true) that I will love him no matter who he loves, regardless of race or sex. (He moans and says "mama, I like girls!!!!!) She turned to her daughter (we are teachers and this was after school) and told her that wasn't the case with her and didn't speak to me for a few days. Oh well.........
december is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: