Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #91
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Am having so much fun tagging along on your trip and was so excited to hear that the Hurricane didn't affect your first day (now I'm sitting on pins and needles hoping bad weather didn't come along and surprise you!)

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #92
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Am having so much fun tagging along on your trip and was so excited to hear that the Hurricane didn't affect your first day (now I'm sitting on pins and needles hoping bad weather didn't come along and surprise you!)
Well I'm glad you are enjoying the TR!

Bad weather surprising me later on.... you'll have to wait and see about that.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #93
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
I didn't realize that you had a choice of where to eat lunch that first day?? I thought they told you where to go and that's where you had to go. Oh well. When she told us to go to EG, I just assumed that we had been assigned to that restaurant. I had expected to go to Cabanas b/c it seems like that is where everyone else has gone. It didn't really matter though. It was good and we were just happy to be there. I would agree though that there wasn't a whole lot of "kid food" there. DD loves salads so she was fine b/c they had plenty of that.

3 days does fly by super fast!
I have read on Dis, that you can say, well I rather eat "here" instead...and then proceed to that restaurant. Sometimes they will say they are full, but even then, most times they will seat you...We were directed to Cabanas, I think...and that is where I had planned to go anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sweetpeas View Post
I was sick on Sunday and sat and read your TR all day. I must be slow... I still haven't finished yet. You're at Disney now...I love all your pictures and great descriptions. Your dad cracks me up! I love all his faces! I couldn't help but worry about him when he was lost.
I am a bit longwinded. Glad you are enjoying it.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #94
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

Great pictures with Mickey, what a lucky start! The ship is beautiful, can't wait to see more!

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011
Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #95
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I have read on Dis, that you can say, well I rather eat "here" instead...and then proceed to that restaurant. Sometimes they will say they are full, but even then, most times they will seat you...We were directed to Cabanas, I think...and that is where I had planned to go anyways.
I didn't know that. But I was surprised when she told me to go to EG and I actually told her that I had expected her to say Cabanas. That's when she told me they weren't open yet. Maybe because we got on the ship so early??? IDK. It didn't matter much to me anyway. I was just happy to be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Elf View Post
Great pictures with Mickey, what a lucky start! The ship is beautiful, can't wait to see more!
Thank you! He was a great Mickey! Or maybe I should say she was a great Mickey??? I try not to think about what's underneath and just enjoy the magic!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #97
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I think Cabanas opens like at 12..I know it is a little later than EG.
That must be it then. We boarded just after 11:30, so I guess she was right that it wasn't open yet.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #98
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

The Second Day of Swinter: Part 2

We left off on the last update with us heading up to the pools after a great lunch at the Enchanted Garden. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the pool deck was practically empty. I guess most people were still boarding or eating lunch. Again, I was hoping this was a good sign and meant that our cruise wouldn’t be packed like sardines.

As soon as we arrived, I asked DD if she wanted to ride the Aquaduck with me. She said, “No, not yet.” I figured she was just overwhelmed by all the water fun in front of her and just wanted to check everything out first. She wasted no time and jumped right into the Mickey pool, yelling out, “Mama, I’m swimming in Mickey’s ear!”

That lasted for about 5 minutes and then she set her sights on the Mickey slide.

She rode it several times with no wait and loved it!

After she had gone down 3 or 4 times, I couldn’t take it anymore! I was ready to ride the Aquaduck and the wait was killing me! I asked DD again if she was ready to ride, and she gave me the same response as before. I thought that was very odd since she had talked about NOTHING but the Aquaduck for months before the trip, but I decided to let her get the pool thrill out of her system first.

Next up was Donald’s pool. This one is 5’-6’ deep. I know I couldn’t touch the bottom without going underwater.

Once again, she played around for about five minutes and then wanted to go back on the Mickey slide. That’s when I realized that she was avoiding riding the Aquaduck with me. What the heck? I guess once she saw it in person, it was a little intimidating. I admit that I was a tad bit nervous myself, but no way was I waiting all that time for the cruise, driving all that distance to get there, and then NOT riding the Aquaduck! So cue the music and put the spotlight on the stage, because what happened next should win me the ‘Mother of the Year’ award…

Yes….. I did it.

I forced my child to ride the Aquaduck.

But before you roast me on a spit, let me say that I know my child extremely well, and if she can just conquer that initial fear, then she is ALWAYS happier for having done so. If it had been something extreme or truly scary, I wouldn’t have done that, but I knew this was going to be 100% pure fun for her if she would just get her fanny up the stairs and on that raft!

DH volunteered to sit this ride out because someone had to stay with our carry-on bag. It had my big camera and our key cards in it, so it couldn’t be left unattended. DD and I headed for the entrance to the slide and a CM told us that we had to remove our shoes and no cameras were allowed. I was afraid he was going to say that! I was pretty disappointed that I couldn’t take my waterproof camera down the slide. I really wanted to record it. Oh well! I left the camera with DH and told him to film us as we came down.

DD and I left our water shoes in the cubbies and started up the stairs.

OH

MY

GOODNESS!

It felt like we were walking on a staircase of hot coals! It was so stinkin’ hot! My feet felt like they were going to spontaneously combust! We practically ran all the way up, and let me tell you… I am way too old and out of shape to be doing that! I guess that was part of my payback for being such a great mother that day. And believe me, DD did a wonderful job of reminding me of that fact too. All the way up she chewed on her fingernails and told me how much she hated this slide (you know…the one she’s never been on ). But alas, we made it to the top, roasted but ready to ride! And what did we find when we got there? NO WAIT!!!

The CM put DD in the front which didn’t help her nerves a bit, but once he gave us the shove, there was no turning back! DD screamed all the way down, “I hate this ride! I hate this ride!” I will admit that it looks like the rafts are moving really slowly when you’re watching from the deck, but it was actually a lot faster than I expected. It had several small drops too that were a little ‘exciting’ for a ride chicken like me!

My final dose of payback came as the ride ended. Let’s just say those rafts are not designed with very short people in mind. You are sitting in a pretty deep hole in the raft and when you reach the bottom, you have to throw your legs over the side and step out. Well if you are 6’ tall, this isn’t a problem, however, that is not the case for me. When I shifted my legs to the side, they were sticking straight up in the air and no way were they going to bend where I needed them to bend in order to get my rear out of that raft. I would’ve needed knees where my ankles are in order to do that! So much to my humiliation, the CM had to pull me out of my raft hole, DD snickering all the while, and me panicking about the next raft clobbering me from behind before I could get out of the way. Not one of my finer moments!

But after all that drama, I was able to redeem my motherhood because when we got to the bottom, DD’s attitude instantly changed. Once she knew she had survived and saw how much fun it was, she wanted to ride it again! See, I told you that I know her well! It was time for her to get a new ride partner though, because one round of roasted feet and a sunken rump was enough for me at the moment! DH rode with her next while I walked around and checked things out.

I saw lots of CMs with frozen concoctions available for purchase.

Signs

It was very cool to be able to see Kennedy Space Center from the ship.

Random Aquaduck riders

The spray area

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 12-10-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #99
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

After my mini tour, I sat down and watched the video that DH took of us on the Aquaduck. I was very disappointed to see that some woman walked in front of him at the exact time that we floated by and all you could see was her backside! I’ll spare you that video.

DH and DD had a great ride though, and they both loved it. DH told me that DD was riding with her hands in the air yelling out, “I’m living the sweet life now!” Talk about a change of heart!

By now it was 1:30 and I was dying to see our room and drop off the carry-on bag so we didn’t have to lug it around anymore. I was a little nervous about the size of the room though. I knew it was going to be small, but I was hoping it would be bigger than it looked in the pictures online.

We had an inside stateroom with the magical porthole.

The view outside the ship

The bedside lamp

The room was nice and extremely clean, but it was actually smaller than I had anticipated, which was not good news to this claustrophobe. I was ok though until we brought our luggage in that was waiting in the hallway. Then things got really cramped and I could feel the panic welling up, so I stepped out into the hall while DH put the bags away. We decided to go on back to the pool deck so I could get some air and have some space.

We made a pit stop for ‘eye scream’ on the way.

Proud of her creation

DH kept saying, “We can really get all the ice cream we want for free?”

Then it was back to the pools.

This is EXACTLY how I looked trying to get out of that Aquaduck raft!

It was really getting hot so the pools felt so good!

Swimming in Mickey’s ear again!

Then back to Donald’s pool. We did some major pool hopping that day!

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 12-09-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #100
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

This guy did a great job of keeping things lively and entertaining on the pool deck. It really is a fun atmosphere with all the music.

And one last ride on the Mickey slide

It was now around 3:00 and the pools were super crowded. In fact they could no longer be called swimming pools, because there was no way you could actually swim. They were more like dipping pools because all you could do was just stand in the water and try not to move so you didn’t bump into anyone. Not my idea of fun.

This short video gives you an idea of how packed the pool was, and it only got worse.

DH and DD swimming in Donald's pool (48 sec.)

We totally bailed out!

DH and DD hit the hot tub for a few minutes.

Then we sat down by the pool for a while to dry off before we headed back to the room.

DD doing the Y-M-C-A!

Mickey and Minnie came out, but there was a long line almost instantly.

We spotted this on the way back to the room and the fruit looked too good to resist.

It was really good, especially the fresh pineapple!

It was time to head to our tiny cabin and get dressed for the lifeboat drill and the evening activities. I will admit that I was a little bummed at that point because the room was so small and the pools seemed way too tiny for the number of people on board. I was really starting to wonder if I had made the right choice by choosing to cruise? I was thinking though that maybe I had just set my expectations too high, so I tried to reserve judgement until the cruise was over. I mean, if my only issues were crowded pools, and a tiny room, then I could handle that as long as nothing else major went wrong. Dum, dum, dum.....

Up next: The second day of Swinter: Part 3

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 12-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #101
WDWPrincess486
Mouseketeer

Rinky, what a wonderful treat to read your TR update this morning

We went on the AquaDuck at around the same time you did when we went in May...the wait (or lack thereof) was not that bad at all! Love DD's initial feelings towards the slide and then her change of heart

Oooh...those concoctions on the trays...my favorite is definitely the Bahama Mama!

Don't you just love how all of the food on the ship is "free"? I quite enjoyed the strawberry and banana ice cream, as well as the pizza! Yummmm

I'm sure you made the best decision as far as cruising goes We don't spend that much time in the room anyway, although I do understand where you are coming from. I need my space as well!

I love all of your pictures! I could definitely go for a ride on the AquaDuck right about now... Looking forward to your next update! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

I love all things Disney, especially Disney Cruise Line and Aulani
Disney Wedding: April 20, 2013 at Disney's Wedding Pavilion and Grand Floridian Resort
Aulani: November 9 - 14, 2012 (joined Frankie on a trip for his work!)
Previous cruises: Disney Wonder (2006, 2007, 2008) - Bahamas; Disney Magic (2008) - Mexican Riviera

Our first cruise together was aboard the Disney Dream -- May 1 - 5, 2011 -- Bahamas
Our first cruise with my parents was aboard the Disney Fantasy -- May 26 - June 2, 2012 -- Western Caribbean
Our honeymoon will be aboard the Disney Magic -- June 27 - July 9, 2013 -- Mediterranean with Venice
Our next cruise with my parents will be aboard the Disney Fantasy -- November 16 - 23, 2013 -- Eastern Caribbean
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #102
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh!! I was laughing like crazy at your entire description of coaxing your daughter to go on the Aqua Duck, the hot walk up the stairs, the yelling all the way down and especially you getting out of the raft! I could totally see myself having to get pulled out of the raft too and it made it all the funnier.

I sure hope that the dum dum dum isn't a bad dum dum dum. I know that you were worried about the small room and the crowded pool.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #103
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh - you are so funny - I love how you wrote about your DD and the aquaduck! I knew she would like it too! We never managed to get on there - we made the mistake of not going right there first thing, and the lines were ALWAYS long after that day. I'm sure I would have needed help getting out of the raft too - my legs are so short!!
Sarah loved the Mickey slide too - went on it probably hundreds of times on our cruise.
I think one of my biggest gripes on cruises (any of the ships) is that the pools are too small. I assume there's a good reason for it since they are all that way. But they get so crowded it's just not fun.

I sure hope your dum dum dum dum is not too ominus! I know how hard it can be to plan and have expectations. It's hard to remember to keep them in check. Your room did seem pretty small though, and without a balcony I bet it felt rather confined. It really stinks that the DCL is so expensive - because I guarantee you if you had our room, you would have had no problem. It really does make a difference to have more space and a door you can open to fresh air! It will be a while before we can do that again! Especially because I want to go on a 7 day!!

Your DD is getting so big - she's just beautiful! We stopped by Flo's frequently for that fresh fruit too. There were really good fries too!!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #104
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited for our cruise next month!! I think my DD will end up spending more time in the clubs than in the pool but I'm totally going to make her ride the aquaduck with me! Even at age 12 she is a chicken sometimes but just like your DD, she will love it once she tries it. Your TR is helping me so much to know what to expect. And I expect that I will be having one of those big drinks!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #105
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

No flames from me for making your DD ride the aquaduck! I firmly believe that parents know their kids best, and know what they can and cannot handle. So glad that you guys got to ride it and it was such a big hit!

I have to say, when I first saw the pics of the pool, I was thinking "wow, those look small for such a big ship", I hope that they cleared out a little as the cruise went on, and you were able to enjoy some pool time without feeling like a sardine.

I've never done a Disney cruise, but Dh and I have done other cruises and always in inside staterooms. I don't have problems with claustrophobia, but I could see how it would be easy to feel like the walls were closing in on you. We never spend much time in the room, and I'm sure with your DD you guys didn't either, so I hope it didn't impact your enjoyment of the trip too much.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: