Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to read about all the fun.

I can't wait to sit in a chair in the water like that one of your DH.
He was in pure heaven sitting in the surf like that. He told me that was the most awesome thing he had ever done in his life! It was so good for him to have that very relaxing time. It did wonders for him and sold him on cruising. He said he wouldn't ever want to go to our NC beaches again after that! I have to agree, but the problem is that I can't afford to replace our frequent beach trips with cruises!

You'll be there before you know it though! And btw, that picture was taken at Blue Lagoon, not CC. Wasn't it beautiful? I was very pleased with BLI. I thought it would be nice, but it was fabulous! I expected fabulous from CC, but BLI was a great surprise. Are you guys going there on your cruise? What are you doing with your Nassau day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Joining in!
Can't wait to read more.
Welcome! I'm always glad to have new people on board! I've seen you on the DIS a lot so I'm sure you'll know most of everyone here. Settle in and make yourself at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm heading over from MeMom's TR to join you! You guys look like you were in heaven in those pictures!

I've never been on a Disney cruise, so I'm looking forward to reading all about it!
Welcome! I usually get a lot of people joining in from Memom's place. She is sort of Dis Central here isn't she!

This was our first Disney cruise (first cruise period). We had a few bumps, but for the most part it was fantastic and we would love to go back. I hope something you read here will help you decide if you'd like to go someday.

-------------------------------------------

Sorry Memom... I just realized that I didn't answer your question. As far as I know, the 3 night cruise is the shortest one you can take and still go to CC. Some cruise lines have the 1 night cruise to nowhere that just sails around a bit and comes back (not sure if Disney has this), but it wouldn't go to CC even if they did. You really have to sit down and come up with a plan to get yourself on DCL. Someone who loves all things Disney as much as you do really needs to go. You know I'm claustrophobic too and was worried about that. And I won't lie, I had my moments, but it really helped me to know that all I had to do was go up to one of the open decks if I needed some fresh air. And we stayed so busy that we literally were only in the room to sleep. We stayed out late every night (11:00-12:00), and when we finally got in, we crashed. All that walking, stair climbing, water activities... it really wears you out. So I didn't have much time to think about being in close quarters. I think you could do it with a veranda room. I really do!

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 11-20-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Well crap!! How did I not see this until you were on page two already???

I am here and ready to read..... This is so exciting!!

How fun that you got to experience summer, fall, and Christmas all in one trip!! Only at Disney!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Well crap!! How did I not see this until you were on page two already???

I am here and ready to read..... This is so exciting!!

How fun that you got to experience summer, fall, and Christmas all in one trip!! Only at Disney!!
I knew you'd stop by eventually! But if it makes you feel better, I started the TR in the middle of the night, so I didn't expect anyone to really know about it too quickly. My allergies were keeping me up, so I figured it was a good time to get started if I couldn't sleep.

Isn't that cool that we had 3 seasons in one trip! I fully expected to see the fall decorations, but I had no idea that the Christmas stuff would be up before we left. Our last park day was Nov. 5th and I was sure that was going to be a few days shy of the Christmas season. But apparently, as soon as the last MNSSHP is over on Nov. 1st, the fall stuff comes down and Christmas goes up. It was really neat and seemed so magical. You're right, only at Disney! In fact, when I first realized that the Christmas stuff was up, those were my exact words! I can't even imagine the troop of elves they must have to transform that place overnight! It's really amazing when you think about it.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
stace208
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post

Are you guys going there on your cruise? What are you doing with your Nassau day?
I am pretty sure that we will be going there as long as it is not sold out when I am allowed to book. Ellie is dying to do a dolphin swim but I think I am going to stick to the encounter this trip. I'll be doing lots of research over Christmas break!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
WDWPrincess486
Mouseketeer

I'm here! Can't wait to read all about your tropical/Swinter adventures!

I love all things Disney, especially Disney Cruise Line and Aulani
Disney Wedding: April 20, 2013 at Disney's Wedding Pavilion and Grand Floridian Resort
Aulani: November 9 - 14, 2012 (joined Frankie on a trip for his work!)
Previous cruises: Disney Wonder (2006, 2007, 2008) - Bahamas; Disney Magic (2008) - Mexican Riviera

Our first cruise together was aboard the Disney Dream -- May 1 - 5, 2011 -- Bahamas
Our first cruise with my parents was aboard the Disney Fantasy -- May 26 - June 2, 2012 -- Western Caribbean
Our honeymoon will be aboard the Disney Magic -- June 27 - July 9, 2013 -- Mediterranean with Venice
Our next cruise with my parents will be aboard the Disney Fantasy -- November 16 - 23, 2013 -- Eastern Caribbean
Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #21
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

All Subscribed in now! Cannot wait to hear about the trip! I had to cancel my trip AGAIN! Doctor had to bump my knee surgery to February (I swear I am just gonna cut my leg off). I will need to live vicariously through you (or finish my TR from a year ago)! TR is off to a great start!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
I am pretty sure that we will be going there as long as it is not sold out when I am allowed to book. Ellie is dying to do a dolphin swim but I think I am going to stick to the encounter this trip. I'll be doing lots of research over Christmas break!
I don't think you'll have a problem getting it. I didn't.

I wanted to do the swim too, but I was reading that it is in 30 feet of water and I thought it would freak DD out once she got there. She said she wanted to do it, but I know how she is and I knew she would bail on me at the last minute. And considering what that swim costs, I would have been VERY upset if she had done that. Plus that would have made one of us have to sit out with her too, so I would have paid for 2 that we didn't use. So I played it safe and I'm glad I did. That was her first time IN the water with an animal like that and he was pretty intimidating just because of his size. She loved doing it, but I could tell there was a pinch of fear in her too. I'm hoping next time we can do the swim now that she has seen how much fun the encounter was. Oh, and we went snorkeling the next day at CC and she was fine in the shallow water, but when we got way out to where it was about 30 feet deep, she freaked out. So I am sure I made the right call on the dolphin encounter.

I tell you alllllll of that just to give you something to think about for your kids. You know them and know how they will react to things though so just take my counsel for what it's worth.... not much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWPrincess486 View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to read all about your tropical/Swinter adventures!
Welcome! So glad to have you join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
All Subscribed in now! Cannot wait to hear about the trip! I had to cancel my trip AGAIN! Doctor had to bump my knee surgery to February (I swear I am just gonna cut my leg off). I will need to live vicariously through you (or finish my TR from a year ago)! TR is off to a great start!
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that. I know that is so disappointing. Well, I hope I can bring a little cheer to your winter through this TR.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #23
3sweetpeas
Mouseketeer

I too came over from MeMom's TR. I really like your writing style. You're good at this! Can't wait to hear about the cruise. I'm very curious
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
uncw89
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Can't wait to hear about your cruise/trip! That's cool you got to experience the 3 seasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
What a cute dress!

Jill and I very much want to experience Castaway Cay (Keeeeeeeeee), but we don't want to have to take a cruise to do it. We will probably take the cruise plunge eventually, though, for the shortest trip available. That's three nights - is that right?

I am looking very forward to your pictures. Chillin' in the water in a lounge chair - that looks heavenly!
I was going to ask why you don't want to take a cruise, but Rinky was talking about your claustrophobia...... just get a verandah....yeah, that's it! I think you all would like a cruise though, they are lots fun!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #25
kmrein
Mouseketeer

Yay! I loved your old report and I can't wait to read about this trip.

1989-first trip (off-site); 1997/2011-Port Orleans FQ
2004/05/07/08/10/13-Fort Wilderness Campground
2010-Polynesian Resort

2012-Disneyland (Grand Californian/Paradise Pier)
2014-Art of Animation/Fort Wilderness split stay
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #26
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post

. Someone who loves all things Disney as much as you do really needs to go. You know I'm claustrophobic too and was worried about that. And I won't lie, I had my moments, but it really helped me to know that all I had to do was go up to one of the open decks if I needed some fresh air. I think you could do it with a veranda room. I really do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncw89 View Post
I was going to ask why you don't want to take a cruise, but Rinky was talking about your claustrophobia...... just get a verandah....yeah, that's it! I think you all would like a cruise though, they are lots fun!
I think the day will come when we give in and do a short cruise. I know we would enjoy having a brand new Disney experience, and Jill and I have tlked about how much we would love to see Castaway Cay. I will have to save enough money to have a veranda, for sure.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sweetpeas View Post
I too came over from MeMom's TR. I really like your writing style. You're good at this! Can't wait to hear about the cruise. I'm very curious
Aw, thank you. That's very sweet of you to say. I hope you still feel that way at the end of the TR.

I've got tons and tons of cruise pics, so hopefully that will satisfy your curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncw89 View Post
I'm here! Can't wait to hear about your cruise/trip! That's cool you got to experience the 3 seasons!

So glad you are joining in!

I think Memom should give it a try too. If she can ride Star Tours and ToT, then the cruise should be a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrein View Post
Yay! I loved your old report and I can't wait to read about this trip.
Thank you! I'm so glad you came back for round 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I think the day will come when we give in and do a short cruise. I know we would enjoy having a brand new Disney experience, and Jill and I have tlked about how much we would love to see Castaway Cay. I will have to save enough money to have a veranda, for sure.
I know you will break down eventually. You know you cannot resist the persuasive calling of the Mouse! And you guys could get connecting rooms which would make them seem bigger. CC is absolutely worth it. Blue Lagoon isn't too shabby either!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #28
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

On the first day of Swinter my vacation gave to me...

On the first day of Swinter my vacation gave to me... a long, boring drive with nothing at all to see!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Doesn't that title just have you salivating at the thought of reading this?

Oh well, I'll do the best I can with what I have!

I guess this story really begins the night before when DD marked the last day off the countdown calendar. That always brings shouts of joy in our house!

(She had just gotten out of the tub, thus the crazy hair.)

Believe it or not, we all actually slept pretty good that night. We usually have the "I'm too excited to sleep!" syndrome, but not so much this time around. There was something that was raining on our parade, quite literally, and had us in a bit of a funk.

I had been watching the weather channel intently for the last several days because there was a storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico. It was just off the coast of Honduras at the time and the forecasters really were not sure where it was headed.

Most of the computer models were predicting that it would hit central to southern Florida on Sunday or Monday, which was the exact time that we would be ending our cruise and arriving at Disney World. The forecast also called for rough seas in the Gulf and the Caribbean. Neither part of that news was what I wanted to hear.

I kept watching the weather updates on the news and online and day-by-day the forecast just kept getting worse. Eventually the tropical storm became Hurricane Rina and was a Category 3. Not exactly sailing weather.

I remember lying in bed that night before we left with Titanic like visions of the ship capsizing and people scrambling in the choppy water to find a dingy. Such lovely thoughts just before your first cruise, huh? After a few minutes of that, I decided to count sheep because at least if I could get to sleep, I wouldn't be dwelling on our demise. I think I tallied about 10 sheep before I was down for the count.

We all woke up especially early the next morning. Who can sleep late when you have vacation knocking at the door! DD was beside herself with excitement. She was not thrilled about having to go to school that day though, but I wanted her to be there that morning for her lessons since she was missing several days of school for the trip. DH told her on the way to school that morning to make sure she wasn't daydreaming about Disney during class and to pay attention. Her response... "Yeah right, like that's gonna happen!"

While DD was in school, we loaded the car, took care of our fur babies, and grabbed some lunch. When we arrived at school to check her out, she was grinning from ear to ear. It was priceless!

Here's a short video of us picking her up. Do you think she was just a little bit excited? (Click on the picture.)

We had a happy meal waiting for her in the car, which she thought was awesome! She doesn't get fast food too often, so this was her first sign that vacation had truly begun!

We meandered our way through the back country roads until we reached I-95. We honestly had been on the highway for about 10 minutes when DD asked, "How much longer until we get there?"

SERIOUSLY?!

This is going to be a looonnnggg ride!

By 2:00 we had finally made it into South Carolina and we were greeted with this sight.

As a North Carolinian, I can say that we are very proud of the fact that this place is SOUTH of the border! Yes, it's gaudy and tacky, hideous even, but it's a famous landmark for sure. If you've never stopped in here though, let me save you some time... unless you're in the market for fake dog vomit or rubber chickens, then you'll probably want to just keep on truckin'.

Three more hours passed and we said goodbye to the Palmetto State. (You can count the bug splatters on the windshield as a TR bonus. )

These palm trees were a welcomed sight and caused a few 'woot woot's to come bellowing from the backseat!

It wasn't too much longer before we were hearing a rumbling in our tummies, so we stopped in Savannah, GA at our favorite highway diner.

We can always count on getting a good, inexpensive meal here no matter where we are traveling.

DD wanted her picture taken in this rocking chair to commemorate our visit to Georgia.

So after the purchase of a bag of Maple Nut Goodies for the road, we were moving along again. Things timed out perfectly for us to see a beautiful sunset over the marshes of the low country.

I might have been doing a little daydreaming around that time about seeing the sunrise over the ocean in the coming days.

It was about this time that my phone rang. I was expecting it to be my mom calling with an update on the hurricane, but it wasn't her. It was a very special mouse calling for DD! I had totally forgotten that I had set this up. I don't know if you can tell from the video since it was dark, but DD's mouth is gaped wide open the whole time... something like this . She could not figure out how Mickey called us!

(Click on the picture.)

Then finally, we saw the blurry sign we had been waiting for! Welcome to the sunshine state! Boy, I sure was hoping it would live up to its name.

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 02-13-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #29
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Before we knew it, we were in Jacksonville, which is where we were spending the night. It was actually a pretty cool looking city.

Our hotel was easy to find. We were staying at the Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites. I chose this place because we could stay here free on Hilton points that my DH had accumulated through his work travels. It was a really nice place.

Lovin' those palm trees!

The lobby was very inviting, with some nice fireplaces.

I booked a suite because it was the same number of points as a regular room. It was very roomy. I'm somewhat claustrophobic, so I am very fond of roomy!

The beds and pillows were heavenly soft!

And look Memom, we even had a ceiling fan! I know you can appreciate that as much as I do.

We had a nice view of the pool and hot tub from our window.

It was too late to get in the pool, although DD tried her best to convince us that we should, but we did go down and soak our legs in the hot tub. It felt so good after being cramped up in the car for so long.

I'm pretty sure she was hoping that she would 'accidently' fall into the pool.

DH spotted this pool table on the way back to the room, so they played a game or two.

We were all really tired, and I knew we had an early start waiting for us in the morning, so we headed up to bed. We watched the weather channel for a few minutes, but not much had changed since we left home that morning. I must say that I had a really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about getting on that ship with a hurricane looming, but what could I do.

I got in bed, said my prayers, and added in a few extra ones for good vacation weather. We had waited so long for this trip, and I could hardly stand the thought of it being ruined. I mean come on, it's October 26th for goodness sakes. This should NOT be happening! But alas, no amount of wishing and hoping on my part was going to change the course of the weather.....................................

but it's amazing what that little prayer was able to accomplish!

Up next... On the second day of Swinter my vacation gave to me, a really DREAMy boat and a shoebox that's built to sleep three!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I think that was a fabulous update!
DD was a very good girl to pay such close attention in school on the first day of a vacation!
I'm not sure I could have held it together like she did!

We are huge fans of Cracker Barrel here in Kansas! Just ate there last weekend.

What a nice hotel you stayed at, your suite looked awesome and you had such a great view of that pool area! I don't blame DD for wanting to get in! I am amazed at how much she has grown in these pics!
So pretty and I have to mention that the bathtub hair picture of her is adorable!

I fretted for you all over the weather. So happy that prayers were answered.
Thanks for the update.
You kept me from working for a little while today!

Oh and is there anyway you can get to Disney over the 4th of July? We are getting quite a group down there....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: