Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #256
VAisforDisneyLvrs
Mouseketeer

Another great update. The beach pictures are fantastic- it was so beautiful there!
Don't beat yourself up about the conch shells. I don't think you could bring it back into the U.S. anyway. I seem to remember from when we went to Aruba in 2008 that we weren't allowed to bring any shells home. Of course, since you smuggled in a coconut, you may as well have smuggled in a conch too!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #257
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Loving the pictures. We really are thinking of booking again for Dec 2013. Your pictures are making me want it more. My youngest would love the doing the dolphin excurisne. Did you book that thru disney?
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #258
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Great pictures of Blue Lagoon! We certainly didn't spend the amount of time there that you did, we walked around a bit after the dolphins, picked up our photos and caught the ferry back. If we go back next summer I think we will stay and spend more time at their beach! Although we might take our own snacks....
Knowing that you have that lunch waiting for you on the Wonder would make it really hard to pay those prices for a burger and fries!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #259
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
As much as you like the tropical theme, I can't believe you haven't stayed at CBR yet! You have tried so many different resorts now and it just doesn't seem right that you haven't stayed there. I want to see a Memom report from there complete with lots of early morning walking pictures.
Believe me, I have wanted to, but we pretty much have to stay value to be able to go. I actually thought about getting a room for one night at CBR in the middle of the summer trip just to stay there for the one night and let the girls have use of the pool for two days. We love the food court there, too, for getting chicken and vegetables. The downside is not being close to the food court to just run down and get things, which is so easy to do at Pop.

I could still easily do an early morning walk there by just getting a cab, since it is right beside Pop.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #260
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh I know what I wanted to comment on....the fish extenders. Is that something that most of the cruisers do? If so, how does that work?
Right here is where you can find the link to your cruise dates.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2583392

I'm loving all the updates. Beautiful Blue Lagoon, that many of my pictures were lost from.....
I wondered how much the food was...now I know I won't be eating there ever.
Seeing your pictures does make me rethink about doing that excursion again. It was fun.
I am so sad we didn't get to see a full view of the "woman".
I know there was more I wantred to say...and I can't remember now.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #261
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

I'm catching up again Loving the lighthouse pics actually all the pics from Nassau are just amazing! The water is so blue!
Your DD and DH pic with the dolphin is so cute and I love love love the underwater dolphin pic.
I also love how your DH took the sun lounger into the water.. Nice!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #262
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I can totally relate to having your DD look older. Now that Sarah has braces, and is , um, developing a little, she seems way too old now!!! She's not even 11 yet! At least she's not tall too! Although with her parents, that's not likely to ever happen!

London and Paris in March are pretty much supposed to have highs in the 50s. Not as warm as I would like, but it's doable to walk around in. We'll plan for layers and rain gear and hope for the best! It will still be warmer than here for the most part!
I do not want to hear about 'developing' at 10 years old! That is WAY too early. I thought it was more like 13 or 14.... or 35 would be even better.

Well maybe you will hit Europe during a warm, dry spell. It can happen ya know. We were supposed to have cool, rainy weather for our cruise but the weather was perfect! But even if it is in the 50s, that really isn't too bad. We have a lot of days in the 50s around here in the winter and it's not that cold to me. If the sun is shining, that makes a huge difference. I hope you guys have the best weather ever!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAisforDisneyLvrs View Post
Another great update. The beach pictures are fantastic- it was so beautiful there!
Don't beat yourself up about the conch shells. I don't think you could bring it back into the U.S. anyway. I seem to remember from when we went to Aruba in 2008 that we weren't allowed to bring any shells home. Of course, since you smuggled in a coconut, you may as well have smuggled in a conch too!
Really? I didn't read anything about not bringing shells or sand home and.......... I brought both back! Oh well! I even looked it up before we left to see if it was ok, b/c my FE gift was a bunch of sand bottles for Castaway Cay and I didn't find anything saying it was illegal. Maybe they have different rules for different locations? IDK, but I guess it's too late to worry about it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegrumpy View Post
Loving the pictures. We really are thinking of booking again for Dec 2013. Your pictures are making me want it more. My youngest would love the doing the dolphin excurisne. Did you book that thru disney?
Yes we did. It was more expensive to book through Disney than booking direct, but since we had never been out of the US before and knew nothing about the Bahamas, I didn't want to try to get there on my own. It was just much easier and worry free to go through Disney. And I had enough shipboard and Disney Visa credits to pay for it anyway, so it didn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Great pictures of Blue Lagoon! We certainly didn't spend the amount of time there that you did, we walked around a bit after the dolphins, picked up our photos and caught the ferry back. If we go back next summer I think we will stay and spend more time at their beach! Although we might take our own snacks....
Knowing that you have that lunch waiting for you on the Wonder would make it really hard to pay those prices for a burger and fries!
Definitely take your own snacks!

We LOVED the Blue Lagoon beach. Overall, CC is more awesome, no doubt, but I have to say that the water at BL was more clear than it was at CC. Not sure if it was b/c so many people were in the water at CC stirring up the sand or what, but the water at BL was as clear as glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Believe me, I have wanted to, but we pretty much have to stay value to be able to go. I actually thought about getting a room for one night at CBR in the middle of the summer trip just to stay there for the one night and let the girls have use of the pool for two days. We love the food court there, too, for getting chicken and vegetables. The downside is not being close to the food court to just run down and get things, which is so easy to do at Pop.

I could still easily do an early morning walk there by just getting a cab, since it is right beside Pop.
Well that's what I meant. I know you guys love to stay at Pop, but you have stayed a night or two at lots of different places and I was just surprised that you hadn't chosen CBR yet. I know the girls would absolutely LOVE the pool area there. But you better go soon. They only allow very young children into the spray area there (which is really cool as you know). My DD is only 7 (although tall) and they wouldn't let her play in there. She was really disappointed.

Your right though, the food court and stuff is not quite as close as it is at Pop, but if you stay in Jamaica, the walk over the bridge is so nice that you probably won't mind. I do hope you can stay there a night or two sometime soon! We like Pop too though and I think a split stay is a really good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Right here is where you can find the link to your cruise dates.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2583392

I'm loving all the updates. Beautiful Blue Lagoon, that many of my pictures were lost from.....
I wondered how much the food was...now I know I won't be eating there ever.
Seeing your pictures does make me rethink about doing that excursion again. It was fun.
I am so sad we didn't get to see a full view of the "woman".
I know there was more I wantred to say...and I can't remember now.
I know, I thought of you when I was writing that post and I still feel bad for you loosing your pictures.

Definitely bring your own food! Next time I think we will order some non perishable things from room service to take with us when we go. I won't pay those prices again either!

Don't be sad... she is in one of my pictures later on and it is actually decent enough to post. Trust me though... you did NOT want to see the others!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #263
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
I'm catching up again Loving the lighthouse pics actually all the pics from Nassau are just amazing! The water is so blue!
Your DD and DH pic with the dolphin is so cute and I love love love the underwater dolphin pic.
I also love how your DH took the sun lounger into the water.. Nice!!!
Thank you so much! There are some really nice points about the Bahamas. It does have slummy parts, but the good parts are REALLY good!

We have become pros at lounging in the ocean. Every year when we go to one of our NC beaches, we always drag our chairs to the edge of the water and just let the waves lap up onto our legs. It is pure bliss. I have been known to sit there so long, just mesmerized by it that I get fried by the sun and don't even realize it. It is the perfect combo of cool water and warm sun! And it's 28 degrees here right now...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #264
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

The Third Day of Swinter: Part 4

After lunch we headed back over to the lagoon side so that DD could see about getting into the water play area.

DD thought this colorful picnic table was really neat.

While we were sitting there, the same guy from the rental booth that had taken our picture earlier came up and started talking to us again. We chatted about life in the Bahamas and life in the U.S. He said he really wanted to become a U.S. citizen someday. His plan was to get one of the single lady tourists to fall in love with him, marry him, and take him back to the U.S. Poor guy! He told us that life in the Bahamas is really hard. Jobs are scarce, and goods are expensive because of all the tourism. He said a gallon of milk there is $9!

Anyway, DH told him that the guy on the ferry boat said that the water play area was included with the dolphin encounter excursion. Just as I had suspected, he was wrong. There is an extra charge to go in there, but the guy was so nice that he told DD to go ahead and use it since we had been given the wrong info! That was a nice little dose of pixie dust! DD was tickled pink!

They require all kids to wear a life jacket in there.

Climbing wall

‘Sea’saw

Obstacle course

She had a blast! Thank you Mr. rental booth guy! You made my DD very happy!

I sure hope he finds himself a nice American girl someday!

This is the part of the lagoon that’s further down. We never made it down there to check it all out though.

I tried to get a picture of a school of pretty fish that were hanging around but they were too quick for me. The water was still pretty though.

You could rent these too. I would have loved to do this if we had more time.

Our rental guy friend is in this pic.

It was starting to get late, so we needed to get out of the water and get changed. We had to peel DD off the blow up stuff. She was lovin’ it!

We made our way back down the beach towards the boat dock.

We stopped into another gift shop. I think they had three of them on the island. We still didn’t buy anything, but I saw this shirt and thought it was pretty funny!

Raise your hand if you know the answer!

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 01-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #265
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Cat on a hot tin roof… literally!

He was just strutting around like he owned the place! What a life!

We browsed around the gift shop while waiting for the photo package that I ordered. The main things I wanted were the DVD and the picture of the three of us with Salvador, but it was actually a better deal to get the entire package than to buy those two items separately, so that’s what I did. It was $97 for the DVD, 3 5x7 pictures, 2 key chains, and 2 magnets. Pricey yes, but it was a once in a lifetime thing and I just had to have that DVD.

Here’s a picture of everything you get.

DD decided to buy this necklace with her souvenir money.

I decided to get my usual souvenir, an ornament. I looked at them all for quite a while and finally decided on this one.

DD also pressed a Blue Lagoon Island penny.

We were so thirsty at that point. Remember we only had that one shot of lemonade with NO refills , so I grabbed a bottle of water in the gift shop. Wanna take a guess on the price???

$4!!!

I kid you not!

I gave the cashier a five and she gave half our change back in Bahamian money. At first I was going to ask her to exchange it, but DD asked if we could keep it so she could take it for show and tell at school. After all, we had never seen foreign money before other than the occasional Canadian penny.

It was now 4:00, time for the last boat of the day to depart, so we said a reluctant goodbye to beautiful Blue Lagoon.

DD enjoyed looking at our pictures on the ride back. She also took them to school one day for show and tell and all the kids thought it was really cool.

These are the celebrity homes that we passed on the way to BL. I sat on the correct side of the boat on the way back so I could see them.

I think this is Chuck Norris’.

This is Oprah’s.

There was a sailboat race going on.

Continued in next post

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 01-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #266
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Isn’t she pretty!

We were not dropped off in Nassau at the same place where the boat picked us up. We had to walk down a street at the edge of the city and then through the marketplace to get back to the Dream.

A very quick look down the street into the city…

I really didn’t feel comfortable enough to stop and take photos. The Dolphin Encounters group was moving along really quickly and I didn’t want us to be left behind. It was kind of a shady looking place and I felt safer staying with the group.

There were lots of people hanging around on the sidewalks too that looked like less than stellar citizens. One guy was actually leaning up against a post, smoking a joint in broad daylight! DH looked over at me and said, “We DEFINITELY are not in Kansas anymore!” I’m not sure if that sort of thing is legal over there or what, but he couldn’t have cared less who saw him.

We proceeded into the marketplace where lots of vendors were set up selling all kinds of touristy things.

You can tell by the blur that I just snapped these super fast and kept on moving. I did stop long enough to buy one of the much talked about Rum Cakes. We got the Pina Colada flavor.

It was $9 for this very tiny cake! It is extremely moist though. We all thought it was pretty good.

We didn’t have time to stop for the welcome sign on our way out that morning so we took some pictures here on the way back to the ship.

When we got to our stateroom, we had these bandanas waiting for us. You know what that means… it was Pirate Night!!!

Pirate fun, a fabulous dinner, fireworks at sea, a live show, and more Aquaduck time still to come! Can you believe that? This day started with that gorgeous sunrise on the bow of the ship and it is still going strong!

Up Next: The third day of Swinter: Part 5 (I told you it was a lonnnng day!)

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 01-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #267
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Another great update!! What a fabulous day you were having. And all your pics are so great. Your DD looked like she was having a blast on the blow ups! Good thing you didn't have to pay for them. I wonder how much they would have got you for that. $9 for a gallon of milk? WOW!!

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for more!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #268
sharonW
DIS Veteran

RINKY.....thanks sooooo much for sharing this wonderful trip of a lifetime. The pictures are truly amazing, as close to heaven on earth as one will get. Oh and Oprah's house, sigh....must be nice!!!!! I'm enjoying everything!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #269
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Another great update!! What a fabulous day you were having. And all your pics are so great. Your DD looked like she was having a blast on the blow ups! Good thing you didn't have to pay for them. I wonder how much they would have got you for that. $9 for a gallon of milk? WOW!!

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for more!
Thanks Shelly! It really was an extra fabulous day. I have been dreaming about it quite a lot during this cold snap we have had lately.

I'm not sure what the charge is for the blow up stuff. I know they have a beach day excursion where you just pay for use of the beach and water play area. It's a lot cheaper than the dolphin encounter, but I'm not sure what they would charge you to add that to the dolphin encounter. I'm just glad we didn't have to give them any more of our money. They got enough of it between the DE, souvenirs, pictures, food.... It was all worth it in the end though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonW View Post
RINKY.....thanks sooooo much for sharing this wonderful trip of a lifetime. The pictures are truly amazing, as close to heaven on earth as one will get. Oh and Oprah's house, sigh....must be nice!!!!! I'm enjoying everything!!!!
Oprah does have a pretty nice place there doesn't she? I don't care a thing about celebrities. I figure they put their pants on one leg at a time just like me, but it was neat to see such extravagant oceanfront homes and wonder what it would be like to live somewhere like that.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #270
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

Another great update...can't wait to read more!

The past:*Jan'14: DCL MAGIC*Sep/Oct'13 DCL WONDER*Aug'13:DLR*Jan'13: POP/SSR*Nov'12:VWL/DCL DREAM/THV*Jun'12:SWAN * Mar '12:BDWLK * Jun'11:BLT * Dec'09:SSR * May'09:BC&AKV *Oct'08:BCVDINING REPORT*Jun'08:POP* Nov'07:OKW&SSR*Oct'06:AKL*Jan '06:CR*Feb'04:BDWLK *Oct'03:POLY*Sep'01:CR*Oct'99:POR*Feb'97:ASM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: