Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #196
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran
 
RinkyTinkyTinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I feel like I was right there with you! Great photos, great start to the day.

Next time I need a food alert though. I was sitting her fending off my morning hunger........... and that plate of gorgeous food popped onto my screen!

Sunrises are the best though aren't they. When we're at the beach I'm up every morning to photograph it.
Thanks Janet! It was really hard to take pictures up at the front of the ship because of all the movement. I kept thinking the whole time that I really needed a tripod, but then it dawned on me that DUH... the whole ship is moving, that won't do any good!

Oh the cruise food... how do I love thee! That Mickey waffle with the strawberries on top... YUM!!!

I know your sunrise pics are gorgeous! I love natural beauty. That is my favorite thing to take pictures of. I remember seeing some of your pictures from one of the National parks I think and they were so so beautiful. I can tell you have a love for the natural stuff too!
RinkyTinkyTinky is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #197
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

I need to get on the FE list for our trip. About what time did you get to Cabanas that day ?? 7 ish ?? This would be good info for us. Thanks so much for sharing your trip. 90 more days for us. I soooo can't WAIT !!
jecskc is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #198
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,264

I love your lighthouse shots...as you know...I took a million of them too. Isn't is just such a beautiful morning arriving in port. I got up at the crack of dawn each day too.
I am thinking of doing the Atlantis aquarium tour next time. Still thinking it over. Skip and I did it on our own many years ago and enjoyed it, bu with it being just Claire and I, I think I'll do it through Disney. She can get a glimpse of how pretty the place is then too. I am not much of a swimmer, so I'll leave the swimming for CC and the ship.
My Mom keeps pushing me to do the dolphin encounter again...and she wants my sisters family to do it as well. But it is a lot of money, and if I go to WDW after the cruise, I really need to watch my spending this time around. I still have a long time to think it over. I know Claire wants to snorkel but I am thinking of doing that on CC.
jenseib is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #199
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
Thanks Janet! It was really hard to take pictures up at the front of the ship because of all the movement. I kept thinking the whole time that I really needed a tripod, but then it dawned on me that DUH... the whole ship is moving, that won't do any good!

Oh the cruise food... how do I love thee! That Mickey waffle with the strawberries on top... YUM!!!

I know your sunrise pics are gorgeous! I love natural beauty. That is my favorite thing to take pictures of. I remember seeing some of your pictures from one of the National parks I think and they were so so beautiful. I can tell you have a love for the natural stuff too!
LOL! I guess that does sort of negate the whole tripod thing. I guess a fast lens would be helpful so you could keep the shutter speed up.

I had breakfast, so you are now cleared to post more food photos. I could never do a long cruise. I'd gain way too much weight. Heck, even free dining in the parks does me in!

Thanks for the kind comments. I love photographing Disney. But put me in some scenic national park......... and I really am in heaven. Standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon at sunrise.......... on Sanibel Island at sunset........ man, I have to get working on some summer vacation plans. Oh, and I should move. I live WAY too far away from anything pretty!
mom2rtk is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #200
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,044

Rinky - Happy New Year! Watching the sunrise is the way I like to start my days on vacation, I love it just on the balcony of wherever we are staying, but from the bow of the ship with the wind in your hair was the best, the video really made me want to be there with you guys

The food looked scrumptious and my DH is a breakfast nut too that is why we always have to go to a TS or buffet and early.

The pictures of the lighthouse and pulling into port were gorgeous. I like lighthouses too and was just reading on the cruise thread about all the lighthouses you pass on the cruise to Canada.(I am 99% sure we are going to book one, just not sure when yet)

Can not wait to see and read more about your day in port!!!
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #201
MeMom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 15,022

I love those great day to be alive days. That's the way I feel on spring Disney trips. The cold winter wears on me, so when I get to Florida with the warmth, the palm trees, and the color, I feel alive again.
__________________
So Much to Celebrate http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066162
I Don't Know, I Don't Speak Wind http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2962147
All I want for Christmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2860915
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678


We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #202
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
 
brookelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,166

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I showed Joe the picture of the sunrise, and even with him being color-blind, his immediate response was, "When are we going?" JUNE 2ND BABY!

I highly doubt I could pull my rear out of bed so early, but that would be totally worth it!
__________________
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #203
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 20,885

Wow what a fabulous update! What a wonderful morning you were having. Great views, you were so smart for getting up so early! And that breakfast looked so good. I can't wait to see what the rest of the day held for you.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #204
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran
 
RinkyTinkyTinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I need to get on the FE list for our trip. About what time did you get to Cabanas that day ?? 7 ish ?? This would be good info for us. Thanks so much for sharing your trip. 90 more days for us. I soooo can't WAIT !!
Yes, it was around 7:00 because we were back on deck before 8:00. That was really the best time to eat at Cabanas. We ate there later than that the next morning and it wasn't nearly as pleasant of an experience. Definitely go early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I love your lighthouse shots...as you know...I took a million of them too. Isn't is just such a beautiful morning arriving in port. I got up at the crack of dawn each day too.
I am thinking of doing the Atlantis aquarium tour next time. Still thinking it over. Skip and I did it on our own many years ago and enjoyed it, bu with it being just Claire and I, I think I'll do it through Disney. She can get a glimpse of how pretty the place is then too. I am not much of a swimmer, so I'll leave the swimming for CC and the ship.
My Mom keeps pushing me to do the dolphin encounter again...and she wants my sisters family to do it as well. But it is a lot of money, and if I go to WDW after the cruise, I really need to watch my spending this time around. I still have a long time to think it over. I know Claire wants to snorkel but I am thinking of doing that on CC.
I know! I was thinking about your TR when I was writing that post and how similar our Nassau days were. And I don't know if I saw the lighthouse on your TR or Sheree's or where I saw it first, but I am so glad that I did. I didn't even know there was one and I would have hated to miss it.

I agree that the dolphin encounter can be expensive. I don't think we would do it again anytime soon. I'd love to do the dolphin swim next time but that is outrageous! I think I'd actually rather go to Discovery Cove than do the swim at BL, but again, very expensive.

We did the snorkeling at CC and really enjoyed it. I've read they have a shark fence in the family beach area and that was really important to me! I don't think I'd be brave enough to snorkel out in the open sea.

Maybe your family should just split up and do different excursions that day. It's not like you won't have plenty of time to spend together doing other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
LOL! I guess that does sort of negate the whole tripod thing. I guess a fast lens would be helpful so you could keep the shutter speed up.

I had breakfast, so you are now cleared to post more food photos. I could never do a long cruise. I'd gain way too much weight. Heck, even free dining in the parks does me in!

Thanks for the kind comments. I love photographing Disney. But put me in some scenic national park......... and I really am in heaven. Standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon at sunrise.......... on Sanibel Island at sunset........ man, I have to get working on some summer vacation plans. Oh, and I should move. I live WAY too far away from anything pretty!
Well, I've got one lens and that's the one that is permanently attached to the camera! One day I'm going to bite the bullet and get an SLR. One day. Every time I see your pictures, I get really motivated to make the switch, but I just hate how long it takes to learn and get good at using a new piece of equipment. I wish they came with a live tutor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Rinky - Happy New Year! Watching the sunrise is the way I like to start my days on vacation, I love it just on the balcony of wherever we are staying, but from the bow of the ship with the wind in your hair was the best, the video really made me want to be there with you guys

The food looked scrumptious and my DH is a breakfast nut too that is why we always have to go to a TS or buffet and early.

The pictures of the lighthouse and pulling into port were gorgeous. I like lighthouses too and was just reading on the cruise thread about all the lighthouses you pass on the cruise to Canada.(I am 99% sure we are going to book one, just not sure when yet)

Can not wait to see and read more about your day in port!!!
I love a sunrise too. I always feel so good when I make the effort to get up early and see it. So worth it!

What is it about men and breakfast? Almost every man I know is crazy over breakfast. I mean, I like it, but it's not my favorite meal by any means.

Oh, I would love to do that Canada cruise! And Alaska, and Hawaii, and Europe... You HAVE to give us all the details if you do end up going. I think that would be an awesome cruise. I've actually looked into it and the pictures are gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I love those great day to be alive days. That's the way I feel on spring Disney trips. The cold winter wears on me, so when I get to Florida with the warmth, the palm trees, and the color, I feel alive again.
Aren't those the best days! Sadly, I don't have enough of them in my everyday life. I guess most people don't. I need to find more joy in my day-to-day life though b/c I am so very blessed compared to many others and I just forget that sometimes. But I totally agree with you that you do feel alive after a long winter, or even more so for me, at the end of a long summer when that fresh, crisp fall air starts to roll in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I showed Joe the picture of the sunrise, and even with him being color-blind, his immediate response was, "When are we going?" JUNE 2ND BABY!

I highly doubt I could pull my rear out of bed so early, but that would be totally worth it!
Thanks! You are going to LOVE that cruise!!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see your pictures. I know Henry is going to go nuts with all the fun stuff there is to do!

You really need to roll on out of that bed early! The reward is great! I can relate though. I normally am NOT an early riser on vacation. You'll see later in the TR that it caught up with us too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Wow what a fabulous update! What a wonderful morning you were having. Great views, you were so smart for getting up so early! And that breakfast looked so good. I can't wait to see what the rest of the day held for you.
See Shelly, I told you there was way more good than bad. I hope these next several updates will make you feel better about your cruise. It's going to be awesome!
RinkyTinkyTinky is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #205
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post


Well, I've got one lens and that's the one that is permanently attached to the camera! One day I'm going to bite the bullet and get an SLR. One day. Every time I see your pictures, I get really motivated to make the switch, but I just hate how long it takes to learn and get good at using a new piece of equipment. I wish they came with a live tutor.


Sorry about that. Sometimes i forget and just assume everyone is lugging around a 30 pound sack of camera gear! OK, maybe it's not THAT heavy, but it sure seems close some days.

If you ever do jump into a DSLR, there's lots of help over on the DIS photography forum. It's not nearly as complicated as it seems.

Your pictures turned out great. And honestly, some point & shoot cameras allow you to control shutter speed and ISO as well.
mom2rtk is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #206
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off
 
pooh'smate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,914

Just wanted to let you know that I am still reading along and I love all of your pictures. I miss the ocean so and really do not enjoy living in a land locked state in the middle of the country.
__________________
DH- ME- DD-

pooh'smate is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #207
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran
 
wigdoutdismom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Derby, Kansas
Posts: 8,146

Hi there Rinky! I'm finally getting caught up over here. I really enjoyed your update and photos! How funny that you left Mr. Gripey Man to our husband....
We really enjoyed our meals in Cabanas too! It's a great spot to grab a quick breakfast or lunch!
__________________
wigdoutdismom is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #208
stace208
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,218

Hi Rinky! It's your long lost VA DIS friend!

I had fully intended on catching up over break but that just didn't work out for me...lol! How come school weeks never go that fast??? Between Christmas fun, family stuff, and my dad in the hospital almost the whole break, the days just got away from me!

But, I am caught up now and am loving everything. I'm using your report as my personal "getting ready to cruise" manual. I need to start taking notes so I don't forget anything. We have to pay off our cruise this month and we are in the 90 day range now. Always starts to get real then...I only hope the weeks fly by...February and March are always looooooong school months!

I am really debating what to do on our Bahamas day. I know we all would love the dolphin encounter. But, Atlantis just looks like so much fun and I know my kids would love it. I guess I need to get all the info together and present it to them and see what they think.
__________________
Stacy DH: DS 12 DD 10
stace208 is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #209
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran
 
RinkyTinkyTinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Sorry about that. Sometimes i forget and just assume everyone is lugging around a 30 pound sack of camera gear! OK, maybe it's not THAT heavy, but it sure seems close some days.

If you ever do jump into a DSLR, there's lots of help over on the DIS photography forum. It's not nearly as complicated as it seems.

Your pictures turned out great. And honestly, some point & shoot cameras allow you to control shutter speed and ISO as well.
My camera will let me do all that stuff, but I am perpetually stuck in auto mode. I always feel rushed to move on when we are traveling. My DH and DD are not huge fans of all my picture taking, so many times I just have to snap it and run and I just don't have the time or mental fortitude to think through what I need to do with the camera in a particular situation. Sometimes I think it would be great if I could just go off by myself for a while and take my time and do all the photographing I want to without being nagged. But then I am quickly reminded, that my trips wouldn't mean anything to me without them. So I just do the best I can in auto, and occasionally I get crazy and try other things. It just usually doesn't turn out well for me b/c when you're on vacation, that's not the time to be practicing! I need to do that beforehand! I actually went this time with a brand spanking new underwater camera and had only used it twice! I don't recommend that strategy! Bottom line... I need to spend a little less time cleaning toilets and washing clothes and more time playing with my camera! Problem is... no one wants to clean the toilets in my stead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I am still reading along and I love all of your pictures. I miss the ocean so and really do not enjoy living in a land locked state in the middle of the country.
Thank you!

I think that would be the worst thing about living in the middle of the country. I've always felt really lucky to live so close to the ocean. We can make a day trip out of it if we want. We don't do it often enough, but at least we have the option. We can take several beach trips a year really cheap. I guess for you guys going to the beach is just as major of a trip as going to Disney. Sounds like good grounds for taking a cruise to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Hi there Rinky! I'm finally getting caught up over here. I really enjoyed your update and photos! How funny that you left Mr. Gripey Man to our husband....
We really enjoyed our meals in Cabanas too! It's a great spot to grab a quick breakfast or lunch!
Wasn't that nice of me. DH was thrilled that I did that to him.

We thought Cabanas was really good. It was just basic stuff, but all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
Hi Rinky! It's your long lost VA DIS friend!

I had fully intended on catching up over break but that just didn't work out for me...lol! How come school weeks never go that fast??? Between Christmas fun, family stuff, and my dad in the hospital almost the whole break, the days just got away from me!

But, I am caught up now and am loving everything. I'm using your report as my personal "getting ready to cruise" manual. I need to start taking notes so I don't forget anything. We have to pay off our cruise this month and we are in the 90 day range now. Always starts to get real then...I only hope the weeks fly by...February and March are always looooooong school months!

I am really debating what to do on our Bahamas day. I know we all would love the dolphin encounter. But, Atlantis just looks like so much fun and I know my kids would love it. I guess I need to get all the info together and present it to them and see what they think.
Hello stranger! I thought of you just yesterday and wondered where you were hiding. I know how busy my life is though just working part time from home, so I know yours is extra busy. And yes, I remember how fast those school breaks would fly by yet the school days seemed to drag on for eternity!

I highly recommend taking notes! Seriously. I started out reading several cruise reports and kept thinking that I could remember it all and then realized that there was no way. I DID actually start taking notes and it came in handy.

I think you can't go wrong with BLI or Atlantis. We didn't go with Atlantis because I've read that their water rides are really intense and I knew it would not be fun for DD and me (aka... ride chickens). DH would love it though! If you guys are thrill junkies, then go for it. I think we might do it when DD gets older though. But another thing I considered was that one day at the beach wouldn't be enough for me. I had waited my whole life to see that gorgeous, clear tropical water and I wanted more than one day. Going to BLI gave us two days at the ocean and that was perfect for us. We loved BLI so much that we ended up staying until the last boat left. It was wonderful!! I guess it just depends on what you like and what you are looking for. If you want thrills and rides, then do Atlantis. If you want more relaxing time, then do BLI. It's going to knock your socks off either way!

Last edited by RinkyTinkyTinky; 01-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.
RinkyTinkyTinky is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #210
Trinity524
DIS Veteran
 
Trinity524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,314

Love the TR!!! More please!
__________________
(6)

Trinity524 is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: