Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
rsauer
Visitor to Every Disney Park!

Burying Grandpa in Walt Disney World Part II

Part I can be found at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3083494&page=3

BURYING GRANDPA IN WALT DISNEY WORLD

PART II: Dark Plans

Packing for Florida in the autumn is not difficult: shorts, t-shirts, and sandals will do in a carry- on. But how to pack Grandpa gave us some pause. (At least more pause after my wife grudgingly agreed to the idea.) The urn is a little heavy, I thought, driving back from my sister's house. "Why do you want it now?" she had asked. "And what about Mom?" So I took both.

Separating them for eternity had caused me to question the whole enterprise. On the other hand, Grandpa was never happier than when he was out puttering in the garden, planting flowers, transplanting a shrub, or mowing his lawn to ensure a precise checkerboard pattern. Grandma preferred to stay inside or on the patio during these times. In a way they each liked some alone time. And now Grandpa would have some garden alone time in Disney World.

Which raised the question of where to place the remains. I shared some ideas with Donna who just rolled her eyes and let out a sigh. "It's your idea. Don't involve me too much."

Of course, the Haunted Mansion recommended itself as a suitable final resting place. However, this seemed trite and, as the graveyard near the entrance was separated from the queue by iron railings, placing Grandpa there while we were surrounded by curious guests might prove troublesome. I rattled off a series of other locations: the English gardens at Epcot, the Mickey face flower display outside the Magic Kingdom gates, the Tree of Life landscaping in Animal Kingdom. ("I kind of like that one," Donna said.) I even considered the waters of Pirates of the Caribbean or the Jungle Cruise (his favorite ride, I recalled.) I could simply pour out the remains into the canal when lights are low in Pirates or in the dark of the Southeastern Asian temple on the cruise. And I would sit in the back of the boat. On the other hand, we agreed that doing the same procedure on It's a Small World was kind of creepy. Depositing the remains in wide open woodsy terrain like Fort Wilderness seemed too easy. "No," I opined, "He needs a park. That's what he enjoyed."

Once in Orlando and ensconced in Old Key West Resort near the southeast corner of Walt Disney World, we strategized over our next steps. Grandpa was in a sealed cardboard box about six inches on a side. This was easy to get through airport security but might prove more difficult to get by the Disney security staff who checked bags at the front of each park. You never knew who would look haphazardly into a bag or who would be playing CIA agent wannabe and completely empty its contents all over the tables.

During past visits we had purchased and used refillable beverage mugs while at the World. These entitled us at 17 dollars each to unlimited drinks like Cokes or coffee while staying at our resort. But Disney management seldom changed the designs on the plastic drink ware. So we brought some old ones from home to save a few dollars. This was technically prohibited by Disney. But, having already tossed the dice in favor of burying Grandpa on Disney property, this minor ethical lapse seemed less substantial.

We also brought a couple of larger plastic popcorn buckets with lids to take snacks into the park. After popping the corn in our microwave and pouring it into these containers, we'd have snacks in the parks.

But on this trip one of the buckets would be carrying Grandpa.

The bucket we chose had vibrant gold and blue figures of Aladdin, Princess Jasmine, and the Genie with the legend "A Whole New World." I bargained that the bucket could get by security at the Magic Kingdom where we had decided to place the remains.

Getting them into a flower bed in the central hub near Cinderella's Castle and statues of Walt and Mickey Mouse would take a little more planning.

Coming Soon:
BURYING GRANDPA IN WALT DISNEY WORLD PART III: The Final Resting Place
Hong Kong Disneyland - 05
Tokyo Disneyland/Disney Sea- 08
DCL- 01, 07, Transatlantic Westbound 2010
Aulani- 12, 13,14
Hilton Head-04
Vero Beach-97,04
New Zealand, Australia-13

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran