Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #106
koquinn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post
You're right, tone is awfully hard to come across when one is not a professional writer.

It is never to early to start discussing the "List".

I do not want to be a dictator, but I also do not want this to fail in committee. While I volunteered to do an FE list (which now entails a lot more than that). The list is still mainly an FE list one that encompasses and enormous about of people and opinions. While the list looks simple, maintaining it over the course of more than a year is not. To give a hint, I tried to reformat the FE list for the Fantasy MV as an example. The original list that was created as an excel (workbook) that was spread over four spreadsheets (each one several pages) and emailed to over 70 email addresses (meaning everyone had several versions spread over that year). I tried to reformat that into a simple one page html file (on my website so everyone could see the same version) which was still 79 cabins, 3 different groups and 2 sub-groups adding 5 colors and took 16 hours to do just that reformat (and that was what after all the work the original person did collecting that info over the last year). After posting the exact same info that was in the spreadsheet, I was taken to the shed for displaying personal information that the original caretaker had agreed to only one way (but did not tell anyone else until I had the list reformatted, published and taken to the shed for). I fixed the spreadsheet to handle the issues and things are starting to smooth out there but it is still a good amount of work to correct more errors and changes to try and keep group/subgroups and numbers straight.

I have tried to take a simplistic approach to this List. One list of everyone who wants to exchange and a Official tally taken about six weeks before the cruise and anyone added after that warned that they may not get gifts unless people have extra. That's it. Give if you want to whomever you want or not. This is meant to be fun, nothing else. I know I personally had one person on a previous cruise want to back out as he/she could not give to any after losing his/her job. Convinced him/her to stay on the list and for that cruse let us give to him/her and share next time.

That alone will probably mean at least an hour a day over the course of the year to keep the list maintained until the cruise starts. Plus and more time chatting online and arranging any other meet/greets etc. Not trying to complain but unfortunately, I do also work 40-60 hours a week so time is not on my side but Disney fun is always worth it.

I do not want to debate how the list will be split as there are too many ways and someone is not going to be happy. I am not stopping anyone from creating their own FE groups. On several cruises there must have had several different ones based on the number FEs we saw on doors that were not listed on our List.

Based on our last last few cruises; Here ares some requests I have seen for FE lists:
  • Remove DISname from the list as some folks do not want that info on non-DIS sites (this one I may implement -if people agree- due to facebook and google+ pages being added and no nicknames are used).
  • Remove names form FEs since DIS only uses avators/nicknames.
  • No Kid names or ages and DIS threads or non-Facebook (closed group pages) for privacy information.
  • DIS request to please post kids name and kid ages, so that kids will be able to meet each other and age-related gifts.
  • Facebook request to not post any of the FE personal info on DIS for privacy.
  • Request for First names and Last initial for personal FE gifts.
  • Request for Last name and First initial for the same reason.
  • Request to only allow one gift per cabin.
  • Request that the FE should only be for Kids.
  • Request that the list should be one per deck so no one had to walk beyond one deck.
  • Request the FE should only contain under X amount and should then be closed or another one started.
  • Request only handmade gifts be given.
  • Request that everyone label their gifts so that people know if that got skipped by tracking who gave what to who
  • Request that the list should be closed x months before the cruise and no one allow to be added so as not the throw off the numbers and force people to give more than they wanted to.
With all due respect, I find it impossible to believe that maintaining a spreadsheet for this takes an hour a day for a year... I feel like you're stressing out unduly over this. It's supposed to be fun. If you feel like it's that much work, perhaps turning it over to someone else might be a good idea.

I think it's too early to get into an argument over something so silly. But I will say this - I'm very much interested in a discussion about how many people are in a given group when it gets closer to the actual cruise date. If it's much over 30, and The Keeper of the List refuses to allow it to be broken down, then I will be skipping out this go-around.
koquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #107
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koquinn View Post
... If it's much over 30,...
On my last 7 night cruise, about a year and 1/2 during Oct, we had over 400 people on the boat from theDis. I think the end total of families was just shy of 90. We ended up with 3 groups from several "deadlines" The lady that was in charge or one we volunteered.. LOL.. probably put about an hour towards the end on daily basis. There are definitely some folks that put in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000 View Post
.... I would do WDW before the cruise - my husband says WDW is too much like work with all the walking around. That way you can have time to relax afterwards on the cruise...

We'll have two beach trips to PCB, FL between now and then, but it just doesn't compare!
No they don't compare. I agree with your husband. When we did our 2 week trip a couple years back, I'm SO thankful we did DCL 2nd. We did try coming back to the park after the trip and when it comes to pure relaxation, nothing beats doing what you want, when you want, at your time.

All that said, I'm working on trying to convince another Disser about a "project" with cruising and an ipod. But the "idea" is in its infancy stages. Hopefully though, it comes to fruition and I can get my "cruise fix" all the time!

~Jonathan
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #108
kellyb2000
I admit it...my username is boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydisneyboys View Post
Welcome to all the newbies!!!! This is going to be a great trip and a great group and seems to be heavy in the 5-12 boy category - our group has three that fits in that group too!!!!
mine will be 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
All that said, I'm working on trying to convince another Disser about a "project" with cruising and an ipod. But the "idea" is in its infancy stages. Hopefully though, it comes to fruition and I can get my "cruise fix" all the time!

~Jonathan
a way to get your cruise fix any time??? sounds fabulous!

kellyb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #109
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

Can't wait to try Remy. Does anyone know the menu? Haven't seen one yet? If there is a menu listed, I must have missed it!

Charlie
ratt1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #110
ratt1345

19 months and 1 day!!!!! Can you tell that I am excited? I need to keep this up for that long. Can I do it?!?!?!? Oooooohhhhh yeaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Charlie
Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #111
ratt1345

Just checking back to see if everyone is awake!!!!!

Charlie
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #112
kellyb2000

Yep - but just barely!!! 569 days!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #113
BLeeS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplus3 View Post
Opps, sorry for the double posting. I'm fairly new at this. I ws looking for my post and couldn't find it so I posted again!
Welcome! Look forward to meeting you!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #114
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

My daughter and I play a little game.

Doesn't matter what you are talking about, we somehow make the conversation come back to our cruise (either this one coming up or ones we've taken in the past).

IE:

HER: It's too hot to practice soccer.
ME: Know what makes you cool? Aquaduck.

or

ME: I'm starving but I'm too tired to make supper.
HER: Isn't it great to have someone cook the dinner and bring it to you like they do at Enchanted Garden?

or sometimes we just say something out of the blue -

Pizza Planet! or Turkey Leg!

OK, those last two are for the parks, but you get my drift.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #115
ratt1345

Usually for me that sort of thing happens after the cruise. I am usually saying something like this: "What!?!?!? I have to pay for my meal?" Reality has to hit me in the face!!! Of course, I am constantly check this place for my DCL fix!!!

Charlie
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #116
ssatterly
DIS Veteran

Happy Easter!!!!!

We are so ready to try DCL!!!!!!
We are on the FE list as well and have already bought a few items...LOL
ssatterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #117
ratt1345

You are better than us. We won't get stuff for the FE until next July!!! Can we at least have the next year go by quickly!!!!?????
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #118
meplus3
Earning My Ears

Still here too! lol I think I have read every PTR/TR on here trying to get a cruise fix We're almost down to a year and a half!!

Last edited by meplus3; 04-09-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out the ticker thing lol
meplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #119
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Just booked the other night. My travel agency is having a convention and decided to do it on a Disney cruise! We are in cabins 6174 and 6176.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #120
kellyb2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplus3 View Post
We're almost down to a year and a half!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Just booked the other night. My travel agency is having a convention and decided to do it on a Disney cruise!
Wow - tough job!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: