Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
kellyb2000
I admit it...my username is boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koquinn View Post
I'd rather do something with some thought & time involved than do 50 gifts that are just junky.
I feel exactly the same!

We put an end date on our last one. I actually think it might have been a couple of months before. There were a couple of more people that came along afterwards. Some people added them, others didn't. I would assume we'll put a date on this one.

I think it's hilarious that we're already talking about this! Only DISers - no one else would understand!

kellyb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #92
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000 View Post

I was hooked after my first. This will be my 6th, and I'm also one of those too scared to check any other line for fear of being disappointed!
I am with you on that!!!! I don't even think that I would enjoy myself on another cruiseline. I would be comparing it to Disney the whole time.

I would agree with koquinn. If the number gets too big, the gifts get junky.

Charlie
ratt1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #93
ppartekim
DIS Veteran

-

Last edited by ppartekim; 11-22-2012 at 12:39 AM.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #94
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

Question Question of the day/week/month

Nice to see the thread is active and organized. We've been busy at work, but couldn't help think of the cruise, since the Fantasy arrived in PC last Tuesday. How is everyone?

And now, a getting to know you type question: (participation voluntary, of course)

What kind of pets do you have?

We have a retired racing greyhound. His name is Max. He's been part of some of our past trip reports.
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

PaDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #95
kellyb2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post
Hi All,

As the keeper of the list - If you look at the current List http://dcl.trapperhq.com/20131019/Oct19_List.htm there is a line is blue at the top of the list "Exchange Additions after Sep 1st (Official Tally) are labeled in Blue." That is the cutoff for the Official Tally.

After the Official Tally, I will still add new comers up until a couple of days before the cruise (when I fly out) as I will not discourage anyone who wants to join the fun but I caution the that they will not receive from everyone that used the Tally number for ordering.

Also, I do not /will not split the list (with one caveat listed below). The FE is a totally voluntary gift giving fun activity. Give to who ever you wish the whole list, your best buds, your deck only, etc. There should be no expectation of gift reception from everyone.

One Caveat, the only possible split would before people who will ONLY give to kids. On a previous cruise that alone caused some hard feelings.

Now FE Size varies from cruise to cruise. The longer the cruise the bigger the number. One 3day last year had 19 cabins (33 adults, 22 kids), the current Fantasy MV has 79 cabins (155 Adults, 57 kids). Other cruises have been in between.

Bottom line - This is all for FUN, and VOLUNTARY and to show off our FEs.
"CUTOFF" - I couldn't think of that word to save my life yesterday. That's why I kept saying "end day".

Anyway...I will say again, I think it's hilarious that we're already having these discussions, but with all due respect your response seems a little harsh. But that's the biggest downfall with typing to have a conversation with someone - you don't know their real tone. Maybe you're saying that you, personally, would never split the list and would gift everyone, but the way I read it is, "I'm in charge of the list, and this is how we're going to do it." I love that someone came up with the idea of having a little gift exchange with fellow cruisers and it was one of the highlights of our cruise last year, but there's no way I am able to do a huge amount of gifts. 79 staterooms? I wouldn't be able to participate. I'm not sure I could do even half of that. It definitely wouldn't be FUN because I would be way too stressed out over it. But that's just me and there would be no hard feelings if the majority voted and I had to back out. That's just it though - I think we all should decide what to do. I do appreciate the awesome list you have created!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaDisneyCouple View Post

We have a retired racing greyhound. His name is Max. He's been part of some of our past trip reports.
We have a dog named Sally. My son was 3 when he got to name her. His favorite movie was Cars and since the dog was female, she was going to be either Sally or Flo. She's a mut, but so smart and thinks we're so dumb. I can see her as I'm almost to my driveway and she knows it's one of our cars. She'll run out of the garage to the middle of the yard and chase a random bird or squirrel like she's really showing us she's doing her job of watching the house when in reality she's just been lazing around all day!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #96
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Hi all.

I've been keeping up with this thread. I'm on this boat too. I definately want to FE. We have 2 adults and a 12 year old girl and 9 year old boy. Had a blast doing this for our last cruise.

I would say if the list gets above 30, I would want to split the list. I could not afford to do more than that. I don't want to just leave someone out who may be planning to do something for me. I agree you should not be "expecting" to receive something, but we all know the generosity of the DCL cruisers/FE participants. It's logical to think that you will get quite a bit.

I would personally feel tacky to pick and choose. I would much rather do a complete list of 30 than randomly select 30 from a list of 79.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #97
CO_Mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Nice to see the thread is active and organized. We've been busy at work, but couldn't help think of the cruise, since the Fantasy arrived in PC last Tuesday. How is everyone?

And now, a getting to know you type question: (participation voluntary, of course)

We have 2 chocolate labs named Sundae (13) and Maple (4). On our most recent cruise this past February, they even had their own magnet on our doors!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #98
kellyb2000

http://portcanaveralwebcam.com/

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #99
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

DW and I have 3 cats. Don't even begin to ask me what the breeds are!!! I'm doing good knowing they are cats!!!! Their names are Scooter (12), Princess (2) and Zigzag (known as Ziggy) (2). We would love to bring them!!! They mean so much to us.

I can't wait for a year and a half!!!!! I want to go now!!!

Charlie
ratt1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #100
koquinn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb2000 View Post
Anyway...I will say again, I think it's hilarious that we're already having these discussions, but with all due respect your response seems a little harsh. But that's the biggest downfall with typing to have a conversation with someone - you don't know their real tone. Maybe you're saying that you, personally, would never split the list and would gift everyone, but the way I read it is, "I'm in charge of the list, and this is how we're going to do it." I love that someone came up with the idea of having a little gift exchange with fellow cruisers and it was one of the highlights of our cruise last year, but there's no way I am able to do a huge amount of gifts. 79 staterooms? I wouldn't be able to participate. I'm not sure I could do even half of that. It definitely wouldn't be FUN because I would be way too stressed out over it. But that's just me and there would be no hard feelings if the majority voted and I had to back out. That's just it though - I think we all should decide what to do. I do appreciate the awesome list you have created!
I'm glad you said this... I read the response too and was kind of like, wow, where's the democracy in all of this?? I'm not sure how one person gets to set the rules for all of us?? Anyway, it's sort of turned me off from doing the FEs at all. I guess I'm going to sit back and see what happens with this over the next year, since it's so darn far away, and then hopefully it becomes more fun and less serious by then! If it's not going to be fun, and one person is going to dictate how we do it, then I'll probably just back out altogether. Hopefully that's not the case, as we really enjoyed doing it for our first cruise in Jan. But these rules being set up so soon and by just one person seems much more intense than I'm prepared to deal with!
koquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #101
koquinn
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We have a beagle named Copper, named after The Fox & The Hound.
koquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #102
meplus3
Earning My Ears

We have a yellow lab named Hunter and a tiny beige tabby cat named Sparkle.
meplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #103
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

We have a shih tzu. Her name is Bella the Wonderdog!

Yes, the exclamation point is part of her name. Kinda like the artist formally known as Prince.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #104
ppartekim
DIS Veteran

FE List

You're right, tone is awfully hard to come across when one is not a professional writer.

It is never to early to start discussing the "List".

I do not want to be a dictator, but I also do not want this to fail in committee. While I volunteered to do an FE list (which now entails a lot more than that). The list is still mainly an FE list one that encompasses and enormous about of people and opinions. While the list looks simple, maintaining it over the course of more than a year is not. To give a hint, I tried to reformat the FE list for the Fantasy MV as an example. The original list that was created as an excel (workbook) that was spread over four spreadsheets (each one several pages) and emailed to over 70 email addresses (meaning everyone had several versions spread over that year). I tried to reformat that into a simple one page html file (on my website so everyone could see the same version) which was still 79 cabins, 3 different groups and 2 sub-groups adding 5 colors and took 16 hours to do just that reformat (and that was what after all the work the original person did collecting that info over the last year). After posting the exact same info that was in the spreadsheet, I was taken to the shed for displaying personal information that the original caretaker had agreed to only one way (but did not tell anyone else until I had the list reformatted, published and taken to the shed for). I fixed the spreadsheet to handle the issues and things are starting to smooth out there but it is still a good amount of work to correct more errors and changes to try and keep group/subgroups and numbers straight.

I have tried to take a simplistic approach to this List. One list of everyone who wants to exchange and a Official tally taken about six weeks before the cruise and anyone added after that warned that they may not get gifts unless people have extra. That's it. Give if you want to whomever you want or not. This is meant to be fun, nothing else. I know I personally had one person on a previous cruise want to back out as he/she could not give to any after losing his/her job. Convinced him/her to stay on the list and for that cruse let us give to him/her and share next time.

That alone will probably mean at least an hour a day over the course of the year to keep the list maintained until the cruise starts. Plus and more time chatting online and arranging any other meet/greets etc. Not trying to complain but unfortunately, I do also work 40-60 hours a week so time is not on my side but Disney fun is always worth it.

I do not want to debate how the list will be split as there are too many ways and someone is not going to be happy. I am not stopping anyone from creating their own FE groups. On several cruises there must have had several different ones based on the number FEs we saw on doors that were not listed on our List.

Based on our last last few cruises; Here ares some requests I have seen for FE lists:
  • Remove DISname from the list as some folks do not want that info on non-DIS sites (this one I may implement -if people agree- due to facebook and google+ pages being added and no nicknames are used).
  • Remove names form FEs since DIS only uses avators/nicknames.
  • No Kid names or ages and DIS threads or non-Facebook (closed group pages) for privacy information.
  • DIS request to please post kids name and kid ages, so that kids will be able to meet each other and age-related gifts.
  • Facebook request to not post any of the FE personal info on DIS for privacy.
  • Request for First names and Last initial for personal FE gifts.
  • Request for Last name and First initial for the same reason.
  • Request to only allow one gift per cabin.
  • Request that the FE should only be for Kids.
  • Request that the list should be one per deck so no one had to walk beyond one deck.
  • Request the FE should only contain under X amount and should then be closed or another one started.
  • Request only handmade gifts be given.
  • Request that everyone label their gifts so that people know if that got skipped by tracking who gave what to who
  • Request that the list should be closed x months before the cruise and no one allow to be added so as not the throw off the numbers and force people to give more than they wanted to.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #105
mydisneyboys
Earning My Ears

Welcome to all the newbies!!!! This is going to be a great trip and a great group and seems to be heavy in the 5-12 boy category - our group has three that fits in that group too!!!!
mydisneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: