Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #901
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

LMP, what are you cooking? I am thinking of doing my chicken parmesan and veggie lasagna. DS24 is coming in this weekend and he really likes the chicken dish. He is DD16's confirmation sponsor and the orientation is tomorrow.

I hope the meeting Friday goes well, and that the traffic is not bad at 8:30 next week.

My DH is not much on greek food either. He in general is pretty picky.

DD16 has been attending classes in her new high school for about 2 and a half weeks. She very much enjoys it. The other students are much more friendly and welcoming, fewer cliques than at the Catholic high school. She is much more at ease. Her new school went through a major renovation ($58 million and 2 year project) and it is just beautiful with state of the art everything.

I miss my brother very very much, but he has been texting via his computer when he has free wifi. He bought the new 11 inch mac air right before he left. Perfect for travel and he did not have to buy a temporary international texting plan since you text with the new operating system. The first night he forgot that he was 7 hours ahead in London and texted us at 3:30 am. I keep my cell phone by my bed a night (ever the mom) and it woke me up. I was very glad to hear from him though. He was able to visit 5 museums, see a play at the National, go to Buckingham palace, eat burgers at a real London pub, and went on something he calls the eye thing. I think I know what that is as DD2 took some amazing pictures from up there when she was in London several years ago.

His hotel was not great but it was well located and it was reasonable in price. He is staying in the countryside in Manchester for a few nights, and then on to Paris. I am jealous, but living vicariously which is probably for the best. I am not sure I could tolerate a 7 hour flight.

LMP, i can't imagine how your DH handles the long flights. I hope his computer issues are resolved soon. I had a problem Tuesday with my HP laptop at work. Windows 7 would not even load. I had to restore to before the last software update. It took too long and I was very frustrated. At least I did not really lose anything but time and patience. I am meticulous about backing up my data to two places daily.

I worked in the yard for a long time this morning, mostly with the weedeater and the blower. I surprised myself how much I could do. I guess working out is making me stronger. I am trying to keep at it. I bailed while my brother was here but I am back on my schedule. It actually is good to have a set in stone schedule, I can see. It kind of anchors the day, if that makes any sense.

I wish summer was over and we could get some cool air. If it drops below 70 overnight it is like a cool front here. DH got a bit winded working in the yard today. He is going to see his internist Monday, I am going to insist he mention it. It may be time to make a visit to his cardiologist and have a look at his heart or at least revisit his meds. He said his chest did not feel pressure, just winded. It is so hard to figure out what that means exactly.

Linda, any advice? I am thinking I should go with him. DH does better if his "conscience" is by his side, lol.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #902
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Hey there LMP and Snappy!
I hope everyone here is doing all right, I think about Lisa a lot and wonder how she is.
I had an ultrasound on wednesday, the dr. came and told us right away that things look ok to her. There is still a pretty big seroma, and it is becoming "organised" unlike it's owner who is extremely disorganised she said any pocket of blood or fluid shows up solid black in an ultrasound and this has lines and funny things in it, but that is probably just the seroma becoming organised.... lol that just cracks me right up.... anyway, I hate things that are almost for sure..... just give me a yes or no!! I get a cat scan for my liver spot on wednesday now, and then see my oncologist on sept 5 so I will tell him how extremely stressful it is to know the seroma looks like it does and they think it is what it is but don't know for sure and tell him I want that #$*@^ MRI already!!!
We took our daughter and grand son with us and after the appt went to our local, well local to west coat of canada, fair. It was a perfect day, not too hot, not too sunny, not crowded at all so we ate lot's of fair food, corn dogs, cotton candy, candy apples, those little doughnuts, funnel cakes, barbecue etc. and grandson rode lot's of rides and we visited all the farm animals, but it was not Disneyland!! I liked it better back in the old days when it was all about country stuff, there were craft competitions, garden shows, flower competitions, baking and all that kind of stuff you know?
take care everyone!

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #903
CherylDan
Survivor

Hi ladies.....i confess, I've been in lurker mode lately.

Things are going ok here, I have another month before getting another ct scan so no medical news to speak of. Hopefully it will still show no change and my tumor marker numbers will not increase. Not sure how long I can keep hoping for that - it's been just over a year now that I quit chemo for the mets. I still feel that it was the right decission, considering how sick the chemo made me, and how many nice trips we have taken in the past year.

Anyway, Smiley, I just wanted to say that I understand about the "just give me a yes or no" already! I'm glad your ultrasound is looking good. I hope your ct scan goes well, and you can hop off this crazy cancer coaster for awhile!

Laurie, talk about a small world - your brother is in Paris, and my DD and her DH are there now too. They are spending two weeks in France and Spain. Lucky ducks! I haven't heard any details yet. I wish I had your energy for all that yard work! Actually, with the drought we are in, there isn't much yard work to do, other than try to keep some trees alive, and a few flowers. We did finally get a pretty good rain today, but need so much more. Stay safe in the storm - hopefully you won't need the supplies you bought.

LMP, sounds like you sure are busy with all that cooking! I bet your DH would rather be home eating your home cooked meals instead of peanut butter and crackers - poor guy! Hope all goes well for your DS.

I took my mom for cataract surgery last week. It was really quick, the procedure itself was only about 15 minutes although there was a lot of pre/post op stuff. I found the entire thing just fascinating. They removed the old lense and put in a new one - good as new! She didn't even have to wear an eye patch or anything. She will have the other eye done in a few months.

Just found out that our 19 year old niece joined the air force. She leaves the end of sept for Texas. Not sure about anything else, there is a party for her next weekend so It will be nice to see her before she goes. I don't know anything about the air force, other than she is excited about it.

Lisa, add me to the list of everyone thing about you!

Hope you all have a good week - GAGWTA!!

Diagnosed Nov 2006, Stage 2B/grade 3, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen
Mets Feb 2011, chemo, arimidex
Mets Jan 2014, chemo
CherylDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #904
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

LMP, I like the online reservation system WDW has now for dining. You can put in your date, and that you want a dinner reservation, and you can see if there are any openings at all. A lot easier than trying to call.

I had a little brainstorm and ordered a Spanx for men t-shirt off ebay. Thought that would work for treadmilling, at least. Now if it would just get here!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #905
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Good afternoon sistas

Laurie,Sha and Lisa - wishing you all safety during the storm.

Laurie - hope your dh goes to the cardiologist. Mine should go to one too. He has a bundle branch block. Linda??? I am clueless about it. Glad your dd likes her new school

Cheryl - hope you get some rain soon. Hope your mom heals quickly. Sounds like your dd is having a wonderful trip too.

smiley - I am sure you need a sure yes or no answer too. I have now learned what my stomach seroma symptoms are., so when it is starting up again I will def. see a surgeon.. I hope your ct scan goes well and I hope they will do the mri to put your mind at ease too. Wishing you all the best.

I love going to fairs like you went to. They dont have that many around here. I smiled when I read your post because that is where dh asked me to be his girlfriend at the county fair, so many years ago

Diana - that sounds lie a cool idea with the shirt. I always use the online system. I just cant do it for the Be Our Guest adr I am trying to do. It officially opens Dec. 6th and we are going Nov. 26-Dec 2. So you have to call as those dates arent in the system. I am calling before and while we are there to see if anyone cancels but only at the 3 day or 72 hour mark or is it 48 hours? Oh well, if it doesn not work out then we can always go in May.

I got out of driving ds because he wanted to go with the precious Emily and then ds20 is brining him home as he has some luncheon something thing for the scholarship recipients and will be down that way.

Storms on and off. One is coming now.

Ds20 just found out he has to go to an entirely different place for 4 weeks on his clinical day for the lst month. I think its some kind of training center owned by the college. Its far away and other people were being told this too. Everyone is so not happy.

Heard from dh. He calls every day. I am sure this is $$. Its nice. I try to keep it short. Maybe its me or I just am feeling weird lately, like why do I have to keep hearing about how you saw this and that while you know I cant be there etc. I guess its ok once in a while but I gotta hear this all the time lately. For all the trips. Its getting on my nerves.

GAGWTA
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #906
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post

I love going to fairs like you went to. They dont have that many around here. I smiled when I read your post because that is where dh asked me to be his girlfriend at the county fair, so many years ago

GAGWTA
this is so sweet!!
Laurie, hope you will be safe in the coming storm!!
Cheryl, I know how it feels sometime, you want to see what everyones doing, and maybe just say hi and that's it. hubby has cataracts starting, it's good to know the surgery is not too hard.

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #907
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

My dear sistas.... this will be one of the hardest posts I have ever written

My heart just breaks to tell you all that our beloved sister Lisa passed away on July 30th.

My eyes are filled with tears but I also smile when I remember how I met Lisa, all her posts that encouraged all of us. How she loved Disney and was so proud of her family and Meg working there.

I was blessed and honored to get to meet her and her family at Hollywood Studios during our little Kim Possible Mission as we joked about it later.

I remember how proud she was to have that big beautiful red corvette and to drive it around.

She endured so much but always kept on fighting this terrible beast. She had such grace, patience and perserverance through all of this battle,

Lisa you will always be remembered
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #908
CherylDan
Survivor

I'm at a loss for words.
God bless Lisa and her family.
this is so sad.

Diagnosed Nov 2006, Stage 2B/grade 3, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen
Mets Feb 2011, chemo, arimidex
Mets Jan 2014, chemo
CherylDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #909
snappy
Survivor

Prayers for Lisa and her family. Thanks for alerting us, MaryAnn.

She will be missed by many. She had a big heart. I was not fortunate enough to meet her, only Meg.

This is a very sad day.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #910
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

OMG

Laurie and other friends in that area, stay safe.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #911
snappy
Survivor

Trying to, Linda. Thanks all of you for wishing us well. We got prepared over the weekend, but neglected the gas for the generator. There is gas, just not regular which is what the generator takes. Hoping to get some today.

Should hit late in the night. Schools and my office are closed for a couple of days. Our trees were thinned out big time with Gustav in 2008, so we are hoping to avoid that issue. Our electric lines are buried underground so it depends on the overall grid, maybe we won't need the generator.

My sister evacuated yesterday with her DH. She said the traffic was not bad going north and west. There were many convoys of supplies, boats, rescue stuff coming in to southeast LA. The state is better prepared this time. However, only voluntary evacuations were called for starting Sunday night unless you were in low lying areas in 15 parishes or outside the levee system. Hoping for the best result.

I am unsettled about my son in NOLA, he insisted on going back down Sunday night to work yesterday. I could not talk him out of it, although I tried. He lost his phone sometime yesterday and does not have a back up. Not being able to reach him for a few days is getting to me. I tried to email him to go to my friend Cindy's house last night, but he did not answer. In a few hours driving won't be safe.

DH's internist told him at his appointment yesterday am he had to move up his visit with the cardiologist in September. They worked him in to see the cardiologist, now he is scheduled for a heart cath Friday. He had one 5 years ago, but symptoms have returned. It will be good to see what has transpired since then.

The nurses were harried, they had so many patients to be rescheduled on Wednesday, when the weather should be the worst. I was surprised they could schedule DH's cath on Friday.

This stuff pales when thinking of Lisa. This is a sad day, such a loss. She was giving recommendations for a restaurant not long ago to someone here, as she has done for me more than once. Miss you, Lisa.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #912
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I'm glad he's having a cath, Laurie. Are they going to do a right heart cath along with the left heart? That would give them more information if his coronaries are clean. Didn't someone ask about a bundle branch block? I can't find it again. Smiley, I also have a seroma in my breast, been there for almost 9 years and still hurts! I think it will always be there. Geez, sad about Lisa.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #913
snappy
Survivor

I don't understand what the right heart cath is? Should I call and ask about it? Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

The cardiology office was understandably frenzied. Found out DH's doc had just returned from a 3 week trip to Spain and yesterday was his first day back at the clinic. Next week was totally booked with tests, so the doc worked him in himself on the schedule for this Friday. Not because it is an emergency but because next week is even more hectic, at least that was my take on it. It did unnerve me when he gave us his cell number though. Although DH already had it in his phone. DH told me this am the doc has previously stressed to him multiple times if he feels any discomfort to go right in to see him, don't stop at the gate post area, but just go back to where he is. That bothered me. He is a great doc, and we have mutual acquaintances. He also sees DH's boss, also a workaholic.

Oh and his internist gave him a new prescription for nitro. DH's supply is apparently out of date. Luckily he has not had to take it, except once in the cardiologist's office as he wanted DH to know how it feels to take nitro, and that you need to be safely seated so you don't hurt yourself if your BP drops too low.

I think it was LMP who posted her husband has the bundle branch block. I don't know what that is either.

Maybe I should be doing a little homework and stay off the blogs on weather underground.com?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #914
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
Where is everybody?

Hope all of you are well. Sha, I bet you are watching Isaac, as are we here.

Got hurricane supplies yesterday, just in case. It looks like it will his more towards the Alabama coast, but once it enters the gulf, all bets are off in my opinion. Katrina was not expected to impact us either. Gotta be prepared.

I was so shocked to see the shootings in NYC yesterday. It happened about 2-3 blocks from where we stayed several weeks ago. I hope all the bystanders who were injured recover quickly.
Love your NYC pictures.. trying to catch up on all the posts. I have truncal lymphedema as well. in WDW camisoles worked best for me while on vacay
. Bras were too constricting...I tried to swim and use my arms while on the trip. I also got a tip from someone else who said to use a paint roller and use it on your sides. They say it helps alot.

Thinking of you with this upcoming storm. I hope it passes quickly. I cannot believe it is the same date as Katrina.... Good Luck!!
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #915
snappy
Survivor

Thanks for the compliment on the NYC photos. I wish I was there now.

DH just called to say he was able to get the regular gas for our generator.

It is falling into place. I forgot something I need at my office so I am going in. I may make a Walmart run too, see if there is anything left on the shelves. DH and I went all around the house around 6 am and secured lawn stuff that might fly away. We are officially battened down.

Now we wait. Isaac is taking his good sweet time. I suspect school/work will be cancelled Thursday as well.

No snow days here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: