Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #811
luvmyguyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Thinking about you Lisa!!! Hugs and prayers sent your way with some Pixie Dust too!

Mel said she is already tired from the treatment, but not keeping her down. Will keep you updated.

What do you all think??? New logo for the upcoming walk

This is a really cool logo!

Yesterday marked 5 years since my inflammatory breast cancer diagnosis. Five years ago today I was wondering if I would live to see my baby go to kindergarten. Now I am sitting here on the disboards planning another WDW trip with my DH, my DSD and my two beautiful boys DS4 and DS7. Life is good. Best wishes to all!!

luvmyguyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #812
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Hey everyone, sorry I have been distracted. I have been reading posts, just not focused enough to post.

MaryAnn, I hop your youngest gets good news on that scholarship and that your older son landed the promotion at work.

Your DH is sure a traveling man.

Have your covered from your week of school?

Don't sell yourself short, you are in as good a league as anyone else. I am proud to have you in my league, honey.

Sha, congrats on doing the add on.

You, my friend, are a dynamo with all you are doing, with fundraisers, planning upcoming events, everything.

I agree all of Cheryl's pictures are wonderful. I can't believe those were all with a cell phone. She must have the 4S.

On week 2 with the trainer. We had to tone down the free weights a little. I had a lymphedema massage Monday, and my therapist said to go a bit more slowly on building up the weights. The trainer is very flexible. We have a lot of laughs, as my husband also works our there (him early in the morning, me at 1 pm). We have an ongoing joke about oatmeal. I will spare you the details.

MaryAnn, thanks for asking about Mom. She is trying the non-surgical device for now. Has trouble taking it out , so back she went to the doctor without an appointment. The office still had their answering machine on night mode, so off she went. She thought she would see a nurse, but in walks the doc. Another wrinkle was that mom saw her internist last week, and she cautioned against elective surgery. She said she has had older patients that were not the same after anesthesia. This is not something mom is going to schedule soon, as she has another "real" appointment with the GYN in September.

DD22 started her internship Monday. She really likes it. She is already going to client meetings and meetings with CPA's. It sounds like she will be hired as permanent before the end of the 3 month internship. It think she was very fortunate to get this internship. It is a smallish office, one of the associates also graduated from Tulane (he is from Massachusetts), saw her resume, and fast tracked it. They also interviewed another male 2012 Tulane graduate, but DD22 was picked.

Actually, DD22 and her BF had a very good week. My brother Tom treated them to a Broadway matinee and dinner last Sunday. After they returned that night to NJ, her BF received a call rather late Sunday night with an acceptance for his first choice medical school! He applied early decision for 2013-2014 and had his interview about 3 days previously. The nice thing is that the school is in NJ, about 20 minutes from his parent's house. DD22 said they toasted him with champagne, and then she had to get up and go to her first day of work the next morning! BF's mom said DD22 was having coffee in the kitchen at 6:20 am the next morning, fully dressed in her suit, more than an hour early for the train into the city!

Things are looking a lot better for DD and her BF than they did 2 months ago when they graduated with no jobs.

Minijeanie, thanks for the tips. The Residence Inn did not have any availability for our dates. DD22 wanted to stay centrally located to help with her commute to work so I nixed downtown/financial district and the South Seaport area that my friend Cindy suggested. I spent a lot of time looking at a lot of hotels that had room for 3 people (2 beds). It was tricky but I have finished the planning for DD16 and I to go to NYC. DD16 leaves Friday, I leave Saturday. I got a little nervous last Friday when I realized there were not many seats on the direct flights from New Orleans to NYC. DD22 and I stay at a hotel near Times Square on a top floor with a guaranteed view of the city the first night (DD16 will be staying with my brother Tom at his place), then we move to a deluxe apartment suite on Fifth Avenue at the Setai for 3 nights. The Setai is new (circa 2010) I opted for the suite since DD22 will be staying with us, and the suites have better views anyway. It has a pretty nice little set up with a separate living room, huge bathroom, and even a small kitchen. One thing that sold me was the fresh orchids in the room! This hotel had a deal running to pay for 2 and get one free night, and I negotiated an additional small discount on top of that on the unit I wanted by combing through the discount sites and then calling the hotel. It never hurts to ask! Especially during the summer when the hotels apparently actively are looking to fill their rooms.

I had really good luck using easyclicktravel. com website which appears to be the same site as lastminutetravel.com, which I used when I got good deals on the Hilton Bonnet Creek and the Waldorf in Orlando previously. I wanted to deal with the Setai Hotel directly though to assure that I could get the bedding I want.

Anyway, I am working on restaurant reservations now. It happens to be what is called restaurant week during the time we are there, so some of the upscale hotels have lunch and dinner 3 course special limited menus. Lunch goes for $24.07 and dinner $35. I think we will sample some good spots.

I am also trying to plan a quick trip to Orlando the first weekend of Food and Wine. I don't know if that is going to work out or not at this point. Trying to get another presidential unit at the Wyndham.

So I have been very busy.

Oh and on top of all of the above, tomorrow is DH and my mom's birthday (a milestone for DH), and our son's birthday is Monday so we are doing a birthday party at my sister's house.

I need to go pick up my special chocolate dauberge cake. Somehow I think the trainer will not approve. South Louisiana is a very bad place to be on a diet. Apparently, NYC is as well, judging from all the menus I have looked at during the last few days! Luckily the hotel has a wonderful fitness center. I wonder how many calories a nice slice of dauberge costs??:roll eyes:

Sorry this is so long. I can't go this long between posts.

GAGWTA!
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #813
snappy
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguyz View Post

Yesterday marked 5 years since my inflammatory breast cancer diagnosis. Five years ago today I was wondering if I would live to see my baby go to kindergarten. Now I am sitting here on the disboards planning another WDW trip with my DH, my DSD and my two beautiful boys DS4 and DS7. Life is good. Best wishes to all!!
Congrats!! Have another wonderful trip and look forward to many more in the future!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #814
Sha
°O°Believes in the Magic and Fairies! ~ Laughter is SUNSHINE you can hear! ~ "Dreams move on if you wait too long"

Quote:

That is great about your IBC!!! My bf's cousin is fighting it now in England. She was NED for awhile but it reared its ugly head. Glad to hear you have a trip to plan. Thank you about the logo.

I want to know more about the cake! LOL I love that your mom went straight to the office!! Absolutely love it!

Charleston RFTC 2 Kingdoms 1 Day 12/3/2009 Jenroc Lisa
I WEAR PINK FOR THE SURVIVORS, THE FIGHTERS AND THE TAKEN
  • °O° First trip WDW: 1972 ~ Celebrates Every Birthday at WDW ~ AP Holder ~ DVC Member: May '06 SSR, May '07 AKV, Jan '09 BLT
  • °O° Lives close enough to go often (for Pixie Dusting to stay young!) ~ Disney Magazine Spring '05 p 36 ~ Celebrations Magazine March/April & May/June 2009
  • °O° Stays around WDW: DL/POR, POFQ, BC, YC, GF, CB, BWV, OKW, BCV, SOG, SSR, VWL, POP, CR, Dolphin, AKV-JH, BLT, AKV-KV, ASMo, AKL-CL, CS, BC- CL, SSR-Treehouse
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #815
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

Looks like ols386 did not come back, must be good news.

Snappy, good for you, sticking with that trainer. I still have swelling under my arm, my incision reopened, and I feel like I will never be moving on. I'm sure I will, but it seems to be taking sooo long.

Maryanne and LMP, yay for good news!

Loved the DL pics, Cheryldan! Hope to get back there in a couple of years. Those pictures just made me really hungry though, so will cut this short!

I've gotten back to planning for future trips a bit. My onco test said no benefit from chemo, so I'm done with the hospital for a while. Haven't started HT pills because my estrogen is already really low, below a 4. Just don't think the tiny bit of benefit I might get from lowering it more is worth the side effects.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #816
Sha
°O°Believes in the Magic and Fairies! ~ Laughter is SUNSHINE you can hear! ~ "Dreams move on if you wait too long"

Quote:

You will be at Disney around the same time I am there to celebrate my mom's birthday (we are about a week later). Not sure if you are on Facebook, but this group is on there... this is their other page. they try to keep track of numbers who have/have had IBC.

http://www.theibcnetwork.org/

Charleston RFTC 2 Kingdoms 1 Day 12/3/2009 Jenroc Lisa
I WEAR PINK FOR THE SURVIVORS, THE FIGHTERS AND THE TAKEN
  • °O° First trip WDW: 1972 ~ Celebrates Every Birthday at WDW ~ AP Holder ~ DVC Member: May '06 SSR, May '07 AKV, Jan '09 BLT
  • °O° Lives close enough to go often (for Pixie Dusting to stay young!) ~ Disney Magazine Spring '05 p 36 ~ Celebrations Magazine March/April & May/June 2009
  • °O° Stays around WDW: DL/POR, POFQ, BC, YC, GF, CB, BWV, OKW, BCV, SOG, SSR, VWL, POP, CR, Dolphin, AKV-JH, BLT, AKV-KV, ASMo, AKL-CL, CS, BC- CL, SSR-Treehouse
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #817
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Hi ladies!! quick hello during our trip, sorry I am just toooooo lazy to plug in my camera to upload pics now, but promise I will when we get home.
Cheryl....your pics of Radiator Springs are super!! the crowds are about 1/2 that amount now, but still extremely crowded for what I am used to in Disneyland and especially California Adventure!!! You used to be able to do that park and feel like you were in some exclusive club cause there were so few people!! I'm sure the folks at Disney are happy that situation is reversed!!! Daughter and I and grand son walked through there last night after dusk, it was stunning!! He got to meet Lightening McQueen and was soooo excited!! I can't believe we've been gone from home for 2 weeks already and this is our last week here at Disneyland But in the meantime, we get to move over to the Disneyland Hotel day after tomorrow, and are so excited to see the remodelled Hotel and restaurants!
Lisa, I am really hoping you are feeling stronger and am praying for you
GAGWTA!!

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #818
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

luvmyguyz - welcome and so glad to hear you are doing well. I am a former Jersey girl too (Middlesex Cty)

Laurie - congrats to both you dd and her bf. Sounds like they are both doing really well. Sorry your mom has to deal with all this stuff at this age.

smiley - sounds like you are having a wonderful time Cant wait to see your pics.

dancind- trip planning s very good therapy!

Well I am working on trip stuff too right now. Southwest really messes with the fares here, especially since they are the only ones. They have a captive market. My nov. departure just went up $100 each, yikes! Glad I have that $100 voucher. I better book that soon.

Also looking at Food and Wine. Looks like oct 10-14 might be doable. The Swan is available.

Lots of the Disney Hotels finally opened to use dh miles, but the miles are ridiculous. They want like 56,000 miles a night for the Polynesian. Umm, ds24 is probably going to Greece with dh and that is only about 60K miles for that trip. So they really rip you off when you use it to book a hotel room.

More rain tomm. sigh.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #819
CherylDan
Survivor

LMP, wish you could send some of that rain my way. We are in a very bad drought. The fields are in really bad shape, all the yards are brown, and it doesn't look like anything will be improving anytime soon - just more hot and humid weather with no rain in sight. The weather this summer has just been bizarre.

Hope you're plans for the F&W work out! I wish they would release some info about the booths and stuff.

Smiley glad you are having a good time! It's amazing how fast the time flies. Looking forward to seeing your pictures

Dancind, congrats on being done with the hospital - always a great feeling to be planning another trip!

Snappy, sounds like you have a lot going on!

Hope everybody had a good weekend. GAGWTA!!

Diagnosed Nov 2006, Stage 2B/grade 3, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen
Mets Feb 2011, chemo, arimidex
Mets Jan 2014, chemo all year, followed by hormone therapy
CherylDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #820
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

HI Everyone! Hope we all have a good week!

Snappy: so glad you got your bookings. I love restaurant week. If you like steak Del friscos steak house by rockefeller center usually offers a business mans lunch. The steak is to die for. worth $35. they even make their own salad dressing. Give it a shot!

luvmyguyz: I had tears in my eyes reading your post. So happy you reached 5 year mark.. Have wonderful time trip planning

Mary: wow your hubby travels.....Airfare is ridiculous. I priced going to the DR and missed my opportunity and wound up paying $150 more a week later..UGH

smiley: hope you had best trip

Last week for me was a little hairy. My 85 yr old mom who lives with me fell in the middle of the night and wouldn't call me. I found her on floor at 5am the next day. She has broken cheek and nose. Her face looks like that of a prizefighter. Needless to say she was in hospital and we just transferred her to a nursing home/assisted living. She needs to recup a bit before I bring her back home. All she wants to do is come home. She is also a breast cancer survivor..20 years for her with no recurrence. YEAH
She is a trooper and I know she will be fine. Meanwhile my knee and ankle blew up like a balloon. I waited 2 days then went to orthopedic. I was hoping my lymphdema did not spread to leg.. Does anyone know if it can do that? My son just left for 3 weeks in Army training and I fear he will be deployed in September. On happy note, my granddaughter will be 3 yrs old this Saturday and we are planning a little party for her at my YMCA. Always good to have something pleasant to look forward too

Happy Monday All
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #821
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
Last week for me was a little hairy. My 85 yr old mom who lives with me fell in the middle of the night and wouldn't call me. I found her on floor at 5am the next day. She has broken cheek and nose. Her face looks like that of a prizefighter. Needless to say she was in hospital and we just transferred her to a nursing home/assisted living. She needs to recup a bit before I bring her back home. All she wants to do is come home. She is also a breast cancer survivor..20 years for her with no recurrence. YEAH
She is a trooper and I know she will be fine. Meanwhile my knee and ankle blew up like a balloon. I waited 2 days then went to orthopedic. I was hoping my lymphdema did not spread to leg.. Does anyone know if it can do that? My son just left for 3 weeks in Army training and I fear he will be deployed in September. On happy note, my granddaughter will be 3 yrs old this Saturday and we are planning a little party for her at my YMCA. Always good to have something pleasant to look forward too
Oh wow. Sorry to hear about your mother. Mine, around the same age, lives with me and I always fear this happening. (Have seen it lots in the hospital, sometimes people lay there for days. ) She is rather unsteady at times but when I bought her a cane, she nearly threw it at me. Sending best wishes for both of you. I'm not sure about the swelling in your leg - where was your lymphedema before? It would generally swell the whole extremity, not just a knee and ankle. Hope you get some answers.

GAGWTA

PS special for Lisa.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #822
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

minniejeanie - sorry to hear about your moms fall. I know falls in the elderly are scary. My grandma lived with us, she was about 89. She fell and wedged herself between the bed and corner and her walker was tangled up too. I didnt even want to touch her. I called my dh at work and told him to come home to help. Glad she only weiged like 95 lb.

I hope your mom heals and can come home soon. Also have a great b day for your dgd.

Linda - how was your vacation?

well I texted Candy. She sends her love to everyone and she misses everyone too. Please pray for her family. They are having some difficult times right now and could really use our prayers.

GAGWTA
Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #823
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Good morning sistas, another stormy day on tap. I think its more thunder here and just some rain. Dh lifeguard hours are far and few these days for his shifts.

Well I am :jum ping1:

Ds20 got the call yesterday that he got the scholarship. We are beyond excited and happy. Of course there are things that go with it like 10 hours of community service a semester (he can do that at church as always since he does it anyway), has to attend 3 cultural college events during the year, keep a min. 3.0 and has to represent the school in pr and advertising as requested I think. Hmm, ds the poster child.

I because once Laurabelle made a comment about being a poster child etc.

They are sending him a letter. I think the scholarship is up to $5000 a year for the next 2 years. I hope he gets the full amount. That would be such a blessing as he still needs all the books,uniforms, supplies aka stethescope etc. and gas for driving to the clinicals etc. The scholarship is only for tuition and books, you cant make money on it. They keep the rest and take it back etc. and I think you can only order the books through the campus book store. My ds are used to going to half. com etc.

Part of that was also an essay and he shared some about my cancer story in it.

Still looking at food and wine stuff. Looks like the Swan is available after Oct25? I am leaning more towards the Swan. We like it there anyway and the BC even with an ap discount would be so expensive for a few days etc.

Next week ds20 is also doing a blood drive at our church. It was in a local paper today too. So we shall see.

Lisa - thinking of you sista.

PatsMom - I hope you are doing well and didnt go to that hosp. where the Hep C scare is. hat even made the news down here in NY. Also thought of you since my friends nephew is starting his bladder cancer treatments. He is young with a 3 year old I think.

GAGWTA. Have a great week end everyone.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #824
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Congratulations to your son, lmp! I'm so glad something positive came out of your cancer experience! My vacation was nice but not long enough!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #825
snappy
Survivor

Awesome news, MaryAnn! Please congratulate your son for me.

Linda, are your computer issues resolved? Did you leave town for your vacation?

DD16 is in NYC-arrived around 3 pm, I will get there around 5:30 tomorrow. Can't wait.

Wishing everyone well!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: