Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #796
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Please email the picture to me, I would like to do the same.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #797
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Lisa - thinking of you
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #798
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Sha - love the new logo

Laurie - a trainer sounds awesome. Sorry to hear your mom needs surgery. Wishing her all the best. Which internship did your dd decide to take?

Pats Mom - how are you feeling?

Well I had the sono yest. My normal girl was surprisingly pleasant and sweet and talkative.

I almost fell over when I heard ctristian music playing when I was in the room. I was talking religious stuff to her about vbs. I wonder if they control the music to the exam rooms etc? It was a nice surprise for sure.

They didnt ask for extra pictures and she said that everything looked good after she took my pictures to the radiologist to read, so I am assuming all is well, but the blood test is a more accurate picture of things with me.

I am so exhausted from teaching vbs, but its such joy. We have 15 kids. . I am getting to know her and she does everything that I cant do physically. She is a blessing.

Ds20 has made it to the next round of the scholarship he is applying for. Now on monday he has a group interview with other candidates with the assistant dean of the community college. I need to pray for sure!

GAGWTA
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #799
snappy
Survivor

Glad your sonogram was a good experience this time, with a good result, MaryAnn. When is the blood test?

I messed up this year and did not make an appointment with the endocrinologist at my last visit in December. I found our a couple weeks ago I cannot get in to see him until November.

He is not that good of a doc, trust me.

They must be low on that flavor of doc right now.

Glad your VBS week is going well. What age children are in your class? I bet you give your VBS teacher partner far more than you receive from her in physical help. Is this her first time teaching?

Good luck to your youngest with his scholarship. What is the time frame for finding out about the award?

Lisa, I hope you have turned the corner and are feeling better. I love the way you find the positive about having the transfusion in the hospital. You are an inspiration.

SLG, did your mother find out if she will have chemo?

MaryAnn, DD22 starts Monday on her big NYC paid full time internship at ADP. She is looking forward to it and hoping it really does translate into a permanent job.

She and her BF seem to be having a great time up there. They were in NYC for a number of days before and after July 4th. I think she may have spent some time with my brother Tom over the weekend. He has been wanting to take her to a play for a graduation present. He is very busy though.

I went with my mom to the GYN doc yesterday to discuss Mom's dropped bladder issue again. This female doc also sees my sister and myself. She is a wonderful lady. I discovered mom should have been continuing to use the hormone cream that she prescribed for her in January (mom decided on her own that it wasn't helping). I asked about non-surgical alternative treatments, and she helped her fit a pessary and convinced mom to start using the hormone cream again. She sees her again in two months so she has time to decide whether to go ahead with the elective surgery. It is a little worrisome to me because she has had life long constipation and this surgery means she absolutely has to keep that other issue under control for at least 6 weeks so everything can heal. I asked the doc the specifics of the surgery, and due to mom's age, the condition of the tissue in the area, and the fact that mom will only use the hormone cream sparingly, instead of the mesh to prop the bladder, she would remove some of the tissue that has stretched, and stitch things back both in the front and back. It sounds like a boatload of surgery to me (about an hours' s worth) but mom is a fairly good candidate for surgery even at almost 82 as she is thin, exercises, and has an amazing diet.

Good thing is that this is elective and she is going to give the non-surgical option a go for now.

Too much info I know, but the lead up to the visit and yesterday has consumed all my energy.

Thanks for listening.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #800
snappy
Survivor

Another question for you folks who visit NYC and maybe stay there. I am taking DD16 there (actually she is going up a few days before me to spend one on one time with my brother and his dogs, and I am going up after he has to go back to work.)

DD22 will meet us after work each day so we can spend time with her and her BF.

The BF will stay at his brother's apartment which is a couple blocks from Times Square.

I am trying to settle on a hotel. I am great doing this in ORlando, but am out of my element in Manhattan, although I did very good selecting a hotel that Mom liked when we went together to NYC in 2006.

However, DD22 likes the Times Square area, and knowing now that is where the apartment is where her BF will be sleeping, it makes sense.

I am looking at the HIlton, the Marriott, the Intercontinental (built in 2010) and the Renaissance all in Times Square. I also looked at the Setai (also new) which is a little further away from Times Square but extremely nice but I would have to upgrade to a pricey suite to have 3 people in the room.

I am looking for a clean, updated room, with a view of the NYC skyline. Accent on the view. Anyone have any input?

Tom is taking DD16 to a play or two before I arrive, I may take her to another if I find one I am interested in, and then we will spend our time enjoying Central Park, if it is not too hot, going to several museums, and eating out.

Any suggestions from the sophisticated travelers out there?

I am overwhelmed with the options, and have spent far too much time on the internet doing research. It is time for me to make a decision.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Last edited by snappy; 07-11-2012 at 08:07 PM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #801
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
Another question for you folks who visit NYC and maybe stay there. I am taking DD16 there (actually she is going up a few days before me to spend one on one time with my brother Tom (her godfather) and his dogs, and I am going up after he has to go back to work.

DD22 will meet us after work each day so we can spend time with her and her BF.

The BF will stay at his brother's apartment with is a couple blocks from Times Square.

I am trying to settle on a hotel. I am great doing this in ORlando, but am out of my element in Manhattan, although I did very good selecting a hotel that Mom liked when we went in 2006.

However, DD22 likes the Times Square area, and knowing now that is where the portent where her BF will be sleeping, it makes sense.

I am looking at the HIlton, the Marriott, the Intercontinental (built in 2010) and the Renaissance all in Times Square. I also looked at the Setai (also new) which is a little further away from Times Square but extremely nice but I would have to upgrade to a pricey suite to have 3 people in the room.

I am looking for a clean, updated room, with a view of the NYC skyline. Accent on the view. Anyone have any input?

Tom is taking DD16 to a play or two before I arrive, I may take her to another if I find one I am interested in, and then we will spend our time enjoying Central Park, if it is not too hot, going to several museums, and eating out.

Any suggestions from the sophisticated travelers out there?

I am overwhelmed with the options, and have spent far too much time on the internet doing research. It is time for me to make a decision.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
I live 40 minutes away from the city. Try Marriot Residence Inn. It is very close to times square and across the street from Bryant Park. For 3 people you can do a King Size bed and pull out couch. There is free hot breakfast daily and really is close to everything. There is no view of skyline though. I am not fond of Renaissance but love the Marriot Marquis. It is a huge huge hotel and in middle of times Square. Tell me what type of hotel you are looking for?

Rooms in the summer are really expensive. What are your exact dates and I will do a little searching around for you? since their is someone who lives few blocks from times square I am sure you don't need restaurant advice. lol

Book of Mormon is the hottest ticket going for Broadway but I believe they are all sold out until 2013. I liked Sister Act but know it is closing in August as well as Jesus Christ Superstar.

What were you thinking of seeing? Lion King is exceptional if you haven't seen it

LuvMary: Good Luck to your son, I hope it works out. And happy your tests were all good...
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #802
snappy
Survivor

THanks for the quick reply!

Mom and I stayed at that Residence inn in 2006.

It was great but I thought I would venture elsewhere. Thanks for input on the renaissance. I will check on the Marriott marquis.

We need 2 beds. I really need clean. And as I said I would like to see the city skyline. Dd22 will be working in Brooklyn so she will meet us around 5 ish each evening.

I am thinking of July 29th, staying 4 nights.

Saw Lion King and Wicked in 2006. DD16 has seen Wicked as well.

My brother works as creative director for a company that produces plays on and off broadway. Not sure what he plans for DD16 before I arrive.

DD22 has restaurant ideas as does my brother but if you have any favorites, I would love your input. I would love to astound them with coming up with my own suggestions.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Check your pm later

Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #803
CherylDan
Survivor

Laurie, your NYC trip sounds wonderful! I've never been there. DD27 works in the financial district, but I dont think that area is very close to times square? She and her DH live in Boston, and she commutes to NY and stays there four days/three nights a week. She works crazy long hours when she's there, so I don't think she ever really gets out to do much else. Sounds like your DD is really having a great time - hope she loves the internship. I'm sure you are very excited to see her in her new element!

Lisa, I hope the transfusion is helping. So good to see you post, please keep us updated when you can.

MaryAnn, sounds like you are having a good but exhausting week!

We are finally getting some relief from the heatwave. It was just crazy hot the past week - in the 100s and humid.

I finally finished making the photobook of our trip. I think I was obsessed with getting it done - to the point that I haven't done much of anything else! I finally just hit the order button, because I think I could have/would have played around with it forever. I used Shutterfly, never made a book with them before, but I liked all the different backgrounds and stickers they offered. If anybody wants to take a peek at it, here's a link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...d=SFLYOCWIDGET

I need to clean house today and catch up on laundry. One of those kinds of days!

Hope everyone is having a good week - GAGWTA!!!!

Diagnosed Nov 06, Stage 2B/grade 3, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen
Mets 2/11, chemo, arimidex
Mets 1/14, chemo
CherylDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #804
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Laurie - I am clueless when it comes to the city. I think my ds stayed at the embassy suites? His friend works for the chain associated with them, so I dont know if it was good or not

Hope the surgical alternatives work out for your mom, so that she can avoid surgery.

Cheryl - I will try and get to look at your pictures soon

Well it was a great but exhausting week. 17 kids and the lady who was helping me was great beyond works. I dont know if she could help me next year. I think we make a good team for sure. But already 2 of the teachers wont be back, one including my ds since he will be doing nursing type stuff and another lady who ds22 helped. She said she did not enjoy teaching and wants to go back to snacks.

Sp I might lose my good helper if they need another lead teacher next year.

Mon. is my endo visit. Will see what she has to say.

I was trying to look at Food and Wine Stuff. I cant get a good deal with dh miles. Maybe I will wait and see if they have ap room discounts.

Have a great week end everyone

GAGWTA
Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #805
Sha
°O°Believes in the Magic and Fairies! ~ Laughter is SUNSHINE you can hear! ~ "Dreams move on if you wait too long"

Laurie you sound like me with looking where to stay in NOLA... cost being an issue and not knowing for sure how many are going with me. Bit aggrevating but not really.

I like the non surgical approach first. I have had a patient with a pessary before. It helped her a good deal, but everyone is different.

Went to WDW yesterday for an add on to DVC... with these larger room stays the added points help. Since I dont have a car payment I am taking over moms for now. I had bought my car staight out so I wouldnt have payments where I was in nursing school. Then where it comes down to it it will become my other car, but no rush on that.

Ran in to MK (not literally) but mom didnt grab her ticket, so I left her at the Poly and went in to pick something up for someone. Was out in 16 minutes. Got on the monorail and realized as it pulled away I was on the wrong one. I had gotten on the express. So just swapped when I got to the TTC. I wouldve walked but the timing was perfect as I didnt have to wait. And no rain when there and wasnt horribly hot to me.

I want to go to Hilton Head and especially got with R and I think little man would love to explore it too. Mom and I will do a trip back to the Biltmore I think in October. I want to see some fall leaves.

Cheryldan shutterfly does have some good ideas and projects. You have such wonderful photos.

That reminds me. I need to get a mat for everyone to sign for moms birthday. I wonder how I will do that for her sister, maybe brothers and get some nephews to sign it, I think mail and have it returned to me at work so she doesnt suspect anything.

Sounds like things are good Maryann. Good help may be hard to find but if she will make a good teacher, look at all the benefits there too!

Lisa, hope the transfusion did help and know you are thought of a lot here.

Missing Candy and others... you too are all thought of... very often (even if I dont post it)

Charleston RFTC 2 Kingdoms 1 Day 12/3/2009 Jenroc Lisa
I WEAR PINK FOR THE SURVIVORS, THE FIGHTERS AND THE TAKEN
  • °O° First trip WDW: 1972 ~ Celebrates Every Birthday at WDW ~ AP Holder ~ DVC Member: May '06 SSR, May '07 AKV, Jan '09 BLT
  • °O° Lives close enough to go often (for Pixie Dusting to stay young!) ~ Disney Magazine Spring '05 p 36 ~ Celebrations Magazine March/April & May/June 2009
  • °O° Stays around WDW: DL/POR, POFQ, BC, YC, GF, CB, BWV, OKW, BCV, SOG, SSR, VWL, POP, CR, Dolphin, AKV-JH, BLT, AKV-KV, ASMo, AKL-CL, CS, BC- CL, SSR-Treehouse
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #806
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Cheryl - just viewed your photobook. You did a great job on it and it looks like you and your dh had such a wonderful time.

Sha - sounds like you had a whirlwind quick trip for sure, but you got your mission accomplished! Your mom is going to appreciate everything you are doing for her for sure.

Today is my endo visit. Its much later but I still have butterflies in my stomach just waiting.

Fri. I took a little nap and the lady who helped me told me she took a 4 hour nap. She was so exhausted too.

Sat. dh and I went out to dinner with the guy whos friend might want to buy our property. That is the only reason I went. His wife is nice but way out of my league for sure. Well he didnt mention or talk about the property but invited dh to that conference in Greece to give a talk. Ugh. Yest. dh called and found out he can go for like 60K miles. We have about 260K miles now, so I think he might be going and taking ds22 with him. Its the end of August so he would miss some school? I am not sure when classes start?

Needless to say I am less than thrilled especially since dh is going to california too at the beginning of the month and seattle too.

Tomm. he is leaving to go to Minn, but I think its jut overnight. Here we go again.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #807
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Sha - I miss Candy too, maybe I will send her a text soon

Lisa and PatsMom - how are you both feeling?

Laurie - how is your mom doing?

Linda - bet you are busy in the pool!

Cheryl - did you have a 2nd reclast infusion or follow up bone scan, just curious, see my post below

Well my endo visit was good with some issues yest. She said the sono was great and the cancer marker was at the lowest level ever, so she is really happy about that. So I am good for another 6 months as of now, PTL!!!

Other issues, she doesnt like is that I gained a lot of weight. I dont know how except I dont exercise too much. I will start looking at cutting the calories since with all my physical problems the exercise is too hard to attempt other
than walking etc.

Bone issues: She wants me to have another bone scan and supposedly the number will go up which means the reclast infusion has worked. If the number is not up, then she said she will have to think about another med. I am worried about this since I had such a bad reaction to that first infusion. She said if all is looking good, I can get another reclast infusion in November and I am not suppose to have the bad side effects again. That is only suppose to happen the first time. Hmm???

Ds20 scholarship interview went well. He said other boys wore suits, umm, sorry I wasnt about to buy one just for that. 2 ladies had real sob stories. She only wrote down nursing about ds. The sob story ladies the asst. VP of the college was taking alot of notes ds said. So unfortunately it looks like the best sob stories are going to win this one etc.

DS22 also had an interview today for a promotion. They will decide in two weeks. Praying for him too.

GAGWTA. Blessings to all
Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #808
CherylDan
Survivor

MaryAnn, great news on the 6 months results!

Until just now, I totally forgot about following up about the reclast! I remember going for another bone scan, and then nothing. It just got lost in the shuffle I guess....hmmm, I suppose I should give them a call! I remember discussing alternatives to recast before I had the scan but nnothing after that. Oops.

Sha, how is Biltmore? DH & I have planned to go there I don't know how many times, and something always seems to happen and we don't make it. Your mom must love being able to travel with you so often, you sure do take good care of her!

Lisa, thinking of you

Smiley, hope you are having a great trip!

How is everybody else doing? Seems kinda quiet around here lately.

Anybody else having trouble with the boards? I keep getting some kind of weird overlay on the main page - its really odd, and sometimes I can't get thru at all.

Very hot and humid here again. I'm so over these 100 degree days. Yuck.

GAGWTA!!!!

Diagnosed Nov 06, Stage 2B/grade 3, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, tamoxifen
Mets 2/11, chemo, arimidex
Mets 1/14, chemo
CherylDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #809
Sha
°O°Believes in the Magic and Fairies! ~ Laughter is SUNSHINE you can hear! ~ "Dreams move on if you wait too long"

That is great about the results Maryanne! Yay!

I have to cut out some things again too. Cut back on sodas again, orange juice, breads and pastas, and eating late, But the bigger issue is getting out or on the treadmill and walk. I have decided I am going to get a bicycle by the end of the year and I am going to do the 5k at the Princess half marathon. So as soon as we figure out if the treadmill is dead or not, and get it running again or get a new one that training will start up. I am wanting to get it going, but have to get something out of the way first. Actually 2 things. My mammogram and an ultrasound of my left ovary from where it had a cyst on it last year.

Biltmore was wonderful Cheryldan!! Cant wait to go back again and that will be this fall. I need to call for ressies but I did misplace my pass. I know its here as I saw it the other day. They have some nice deals with partner hotels if you dont want to pay twice as much to stay on property. I will save that stay for when R and I go Think I will take mom to tea there when we do go again! I just want to be in the mountains and see the fall leaves again (my favorite season).

Got fund raisers going for the RFTC set up... one open now but is on August 2nd and then the painting on is on August 4th. Then I have a Pampered Chef show. Even though R isnt going to be with me, I am so looking forward to that time. I have been looking at something for his birthday, even though there will be some surprises for him I hope when we celebrate moms birthday (they are 2 days apart) I have something I want that goes back to our first date. We shot darts so getting a dart board and cabinet for him. Seems forever ago.

Maryann You never know about those interviews though. hopefully your ds will hear some good news soon.

I have to go do some paperwork and get dinner.

Charleston RFTC 2 Kingdoms 1 Day 12/3/2009 Jenroc Lisa
I WEAR PINK FOR THE SURVIVORS, THE FIGHTERS AND THE TAKEN
  • °O° First trip WDW: 1972 ~ Celebrates Every Birthday at WDW ~ AP Holder ~ DVC Member: May '06 SSR, May '07 AKV, Jan '09 BLT
  • °O° Lives close enough to go often (for Pixie Dusting to stay young!) ~ Disney Magazine Spring '05 p 36 ~ Celebrations Magazine March/April & May/June 2009
  • °O° Stays around WDW: DL/POR, POFQ, BC, YC, GF, CB, BWV, OKW, BCV, SOG, SSR, VWL, POP, CR, Dolphin, AKV-JH, BLT, AKV-KV, ASMo, AKL-CL, CS, BC- CL, SSR-Treehouse
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #810
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

How is everyone doing?

Lisa and Pats Mom - prayers for you both as always

Anne - praying for Avery too

Sha - that sounds like a wonderful gift for R. You are so sentimental. I am sure he will it.

I love looking at the leaves in Fall too. I am sure Linda, PatsMom and Anne have the most amazing leaves.

Dh is back from Minn. Hated the plane (new airline) and hotel. Telling travel get him something else next time. Dh leaves for Calif August lst and then at the end of the month he is most likely going to Greece, sigh, sigh.

Rain here. Its been terrible weather, either too hot or lots of rain. Not really enjoyable.

I need to book the airfare for our Dec. trip. The price just went up $45 a ticket.

GAGWTA. Have a great week end everyone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: