Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
Olallamom
Breast cancer survivor

Hi ladies. . It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks for me, but I finally got the chance to catch up on reading all the posts.

Smiley- I was so happy to hear that your daughter is doing well in treatment. It sounds like your entire family is going to find some healing through her being in treatment. Glad to hear that you are recovering from the radiation treatments. I count myself very lucky that I will not need radiation or chemo.

LMP- I hope that you will find improvement in your BP at your check up

Candy - "salt in the coffee" LOL . . Boy I have had those kind of days before. It really sucks to be sleep deprived like that. I am sorry about your sister and hope that she recovers quickly.

Lisa- It is great that you are able to return to swimming.

Merry - Puppy's are so much fun. I can't wait to see pictures.

Laurie - Great to hear that your DS23 got a job and it sounds like a good situation. I am sure that you are relieved. Glad that your mom is doing better.

Pea - Sorry to hear that your DS has been sick with pneumonia. I hope that healing comes quick.

Linda - I hope that your are doing well. Can't wait to hear about your new oncologist. Tell DH hello. I hope that the Halloween storm didn't cause any damage at your place.

So my life has been full of craziness since my bday trip at the end of October. My mother had her heart attack and finally underwent open heart surgery yesterday (Friday).
The surgeon is happy with the surgery, but because of my mother's weakened state, she is having a slower time recovering from the surgery.
Today she was pretty much out of it. I feel confident that she will recover, but I see a long road of recovery ahead.
As for me, my second surgery "reconstruction fix" seems to be healing very well. On December 5th I will see my plastic surgeon and will be given the ok to start running.
I started tamoxifen 3 days ago and so far no weird side effects have been noted.
Hopefully I will get to a short trip report soon.

I wish you all the best as you prepare for Thanksgiving.

Nancy
POR - 6/05, POP- 10/05 , Disneyland Hotel 5/06, POR 10/06, POR 9/07, OKW 1/2008, ASmu 8/2008, BWI 12/08, ASMu fam suites 9/09, 12/09, ASMU&AKV Aug 2010, POR 1/2011 1/2 Marathon, SSR 3/11, WL 6/11, BC 7/11, CBR 10/11, GCV 2/13, offsite (Vistana) 8/13, Dolphin 10/13, GCV 2/14, Poly 3/14, AKV 6/14
Olallamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Would love to see your trip report, Nancy. When I saw your post from the wee hours, I was worried about you. After reading about your mom's surgery I totally got it.

I am glad the surgery is over. I am sure yesterday was a long and difficult day. Hope she recovers more quickly than you fear.

Hope you are able to resume running. Exercise is one of the best activities in so many ways, for the heart and for the energy level.

Sha, are you in Baton Rouge, girlfriend?

Candy did you rest up? How is your sister doing?

MaryAnn, are you getting ready for your trip? I hope the weather is warm enough for you to get to swim. I can't remember your departure day but I bet it is soon, if you have not already left. Was your blood pressure better Friday? Is your DH home yet?

Smilie, I am glad your daughter is in treatment. I hope you are able to attend future family days if they are offered. I know it meant a lot to your daughter as well as the other patients. I can totally see how your story affected them so profoundly.

I will try and post some pictures of our food during the prep, if I can. I have the bare bones recipes from my mother-in-law (mostly the ingredients but no steps). I was in the same position last year when I did this same deal at Christmas so I resorted to googling. DD21 and I painstakingly documented the steps along with the ingredients (and measurements!!) but I must have brought them to work intending to write them up in a Word document and lost the whole kit and caboodle during my wonderful work computer failure.

So I am at it again this year. I do have the seafood and fresh seasonings ordered/purchased, and a very comprehensive food shopping list. Now if I lose my iPhone I am in big trouble. Speaking of that, maybe I should type all the steps in notes in my iPhone?

We also took some pretty cool pictures while my brother was here. I would like to post one or two of those when I can. He took some using this ap that is all the rage in NYC call hipstamatic. You can recreate the retro look of pictures take n from the 70's. Cool thing is that there are lots of camera and lens options, some for purchase.

Linda, how is your son? How quickly these upper respiratory things can morph into pneumonia. Do you think it originated from the allergy symptoms? I am wondering as we brought DD16 in for the scratch test and naturally she is allergic to a whole range of things, albeit not as drastic as DD23 was when he was tested at age 17.

We are going forward with the allergy shots starting next week. I don't have a clue how I am going to manage adding this to my schedule (twice a week shots for 3 months). Good thing is that it is geographically not far from my office and DD16's school, but the traffic is horrendous in the afternoon after school. I am thinking about trying to go into work at 7:30 each morning. For some odd reason I have more energy right now, thank goodness.

I am getting ready to go out and gather more of the stable ingredients for Thursday. DS23 had a good week at work. DD21 comes in sometime Wednesday as Tulane has classes Monday and Tuesday. DD16 is off next week. I got her an iPhone 4 Friday, she is in her glory. I think it is a little early to start with the whole data plan for her, but most of the girls have had it for awhile, so she is Johnny come lately. We had an interesting episode in the Apple store. She immediately recognized a young local artist/photographer who has a very popular blog that she follows sitting right at the same table as us waiting for his genius appointment. She silently went nuts. Need I mention he was a very good looking young man? Even I took note, lol, but did not know he was as she says "famous." Anyway, with Apple computers that you can log on to all around us, she posts on his blog that she is in the Apple store and recognized him. He sees the post on his blog, and says, come on over and say hi. She was way too shy to do that, funny thing was he was at the genius bar right next to her later when we checked out. She told me she was shaking like a leaf (which I did not have a clue about at the time) and he gave her a strange look, probably trying to figure out if she was the one that posted on his blog. He was probably scrutinizing every one in the store, lol.

Anyway as we walked out, she started going back to where he was sitting at the genius bar twice to say hi, but lost her nerve both times.

I still did not know what was going on but she told me a few minutes after we left.

He looked a good 10 years older than her, So I am glad she was too shy, actually. I am not ready for her to be mixing with older guys yet for sure.

GAGWTA!

Last edited by snappy; 11-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Olalla - glad to hear that your mom made it through the surgery. I am sure it is hard on you too seeing her. Wishing her all the best and that her recovery goes well. Glad you can start running soon. I am sure everything is taking a toll on your emotionally too. Hang in there.

Laurie - Know what you mean about the I phone. Caved in and got ds20 one too. Well actually it was his birthday money and that is how he chose to spend it. So I am sure the others wont be far behind, but ds21 likes his blackberry too. Have to wait till March for ds23 as dh always lost all the phones and of course that blew all the upgrades we had, mine included. Sigh. That was an interesting encounter with your dd. But I think it would be fun to meet someone famous for sure. We leave on Nov. 28, so a while yet. Thinking of changing 2 adrs, we shall see. With the new credit card requirements I am on the fence right now. Might see about walking up as a possibliity.

PatsMom - hope your onc. visit went well

Linda - hope your ds is feeling better. I am sure he is getting lots of tlc from you for sure!!

Candy - I hope youy can put your feet up and rest tonight.

Lisa - I will pm you my cell number

I was so tired I took a nap today. I have been so tired lately. Maybe I need a b12 shot again. We will see about tues. I know ds will not be happy as that is when I need to go grocery shopping for the turkey etc.

Talked to dh. He is suppose to go and visit his uncle today. Also I called a cousin who I lost contact with. She is a single mom with a handicapped dd who is 31. She has had such a hard life. I told her I would write or call her as she does not have a computer etc. Wish I lived closer to her. I really didnt know her growing up and only got to know her after my sister died.

GAGWTA
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
Candy30
DIS Veteran

HI All!

Ollalamom-I am so happy to hear your Mom's surgery went well. I hope she has a good recovery even if it is a slow one. Glad to hear your healing well and your treatment went w/o many side effects. Let us know if you do a trip report.

LMP- Glad you got to talk to your hubby. about his suitcase. What a headache. You are so sweet thinking of your cousin so far away. I have a hard time keeping up with the ones I know.

Snappy- I am rested. Did some shopping at old navy after service and then cooked dinner and was done for the rest of the evening. I even had someone do my DD hair for me. Of course I had to wash it first. It sounds like I did a lot; but it really helped. DD and the famous guy was funny!!! LOL Sounds like you are ahead of the game for cooking.

Lisa- My sister is doing well. The car was really demolished. The front was totally smashed in. I am surprised she wasn't hurt more or worse. How are you feeling these days. I hope you are getting your energy back.

Smilie-How are you Sista?

Merry, Cheryl, PNM How are you all? I know everyone is busy this week.

GAGWTA!

All Star Music Sept 2001
Pop 2009 trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291582
Candy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Just popping in to wish all of you ladies a very happy Thanksgiving!
GAGWTA!!!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #21
snappy
Survivor

Same to you, Elizabeth. Good to hear from you. Hope all in your family are well.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #22
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Elizabeth - wishing you a wonderful holiday too!

And while we are on the subject of thanksgiving...I am thankful for each and everyone of you beautiful ladies here!

You are all such an inspiration to me with all you have gone through, are going through and still have such strength and courage.

Personally, I am blessed beyond measure and so thankful just to be alive and still here for sure.

And on a side note..,last night I had my own litte mini-pity party, not sorry for myself but just missing dh so much. Gosh, I never usually do that. I guess with everything I went through last week, just wish he was here. Oh well, 2 more days. And I sure hope he is not a workaholic on our trip or somebody is not gonna be happy .

GAGWTA
Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
snappy
Survivor

Totally agree with your sentiment MaryAnn. This thread has carried me through hills and valleys for over six years now. I could never have anticipated the pure joy it has brought me.

Sorry you were down. Glad your DH will be home soon. I hope he can get away from work demands for a while during your vacation. It would do you both good.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
Candy30
DIS Veteran

DITTO Snappy and LMP! Such a support line we have here. Hi Elizabeth!

All Star Music Sept 2001
Pop 2009 trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291582

Last edited by Candy30; 11-22-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Candy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #25
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Good evening sistas

I am doing the dance as dh is coming home tomm.

Got a call from the gyn that they wanted a repeat urine sample so had ds21 take me there. Thats it. I am so done peeing in a cup. Its not even for this dr. Its for the one who she is referring me to at the end of of Dec.

If this is not good, too bad. I am just waiitng for the next dr.

Had to go to 2 stores with ds to get all the thanksgiving stuff. They only had sausage with sage. Never tried that before. I hope it is not too strong tasting. Its for the stuffing.

Talked to dh, told him about the wonderful overflowing toilet last night that ended up on the bedroom carpet. Need I say more. Ds21 rescued me as usual. He sure has some plumbing genes!

I so need this vacation for sure.

GAGWTA. Have a blessed Thanksgiving sistas.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #26
snappy
Survivor

Glad your DH is on his way, MaryAnn. I bet the stuffing will be wonderful with that sausage, since it will be mixed in with all the rest of the good stuff.

Yay for your upcoming vacation, see in Michael W. Smith, and see in those lights and decorations.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I am getting ready to do the stuffed artichokes and artichoke balls. DD 21 is coming in after a doctor's visit, so we will start the "real cooking" when she gets here. I have the green onions, celery and parsley chopped up and ready.

Vive the bon temp rollez!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Please post how you are celebrating.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Happy Thanksgiving to All! You are one of the things I am thankful for in my life

I was listening to this song on my iPod last night and it made me think of all of you. It gave me a big lump in my throat as I listened to it. I would like to dedicate it to each of you now. My hope is that things do get easier as we travel our roads, even if easier means accepting our struggles and appreciating all we have in spite of our problems. I love how the voices get stronger during the song as I think it's reflective of how we do during our journeys, and I always derived strenght from the sun and the ocean and such so it's a nice visual to picture each of us "walking in the rays of a beautiful sun".

You might have to close your eyes here and visualize the message. I love the 70's stuff but it is a bit distracting here, lol. (I wish there was another way I could get it on here without the visuals but this is the only way I know of! ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrotsEzgEpg

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #28
wdw4us2
Not only a DIS Vet, but a 33 year MK Vet!
Enjoys being sung to by David Cassidy

Pea-n-Me -- That's one of my favorite songs from the 70's! Thanks!

Wishing everyone here a very Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your families!

"No capes!"
wdw4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #29
snappy
Survivor

Inspirational song, Linda. Love the hopeful words of that song. But you are right the video looked a little dated. Wonder how I look, dated wise?

Waiting for my guests to arrive.

Lovely day.

DD21 arrived around 4 yesterday and we made the remaining items together. Very nice moments.

Happy day for all of my friends here.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #30
Redwolf8812
Running on Faith

So glad I found you all. My battle started July 2010. Just found out I have liver mets. Would like to continue enjoying family vacations!

Prayers for all...

- Penny
"The God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory through Christ [Jesus] will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you after you have suffered a little." (1 Peter 5:10)
Penny
1972 - 1984 many visits
1993 - Yacht Club, honeymoon, October
2001 - offsite, first visit with 2 kids, May
2002 - Fort Wilderness, October
2004 - Fort Wilderness, first visit with 3 kids, October - November, Food & Wine Festival, trick-or-treating in the campground
2006 - Fort Wilderness, October - November, Food & Wine Festival, trick-or-treating in the campground
2008 - Fort Wilderness, October - November, Food & Wine Festival, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, trick-or-treating in the campground
2011 - June - Old Key West & Bay Lake Tower, first visit as DVC owners after selling camper & truck, first visit post-cancer diagnosis (stage 3)
Easter 2012 - Animal Kingdom Kidani, first visit post-stage 4 cancer diagnosis
November 2012 - Boardwalk Villas
May 2013 - Treehouse Villas
December 2013 - Saratoga Springs
Reservation for 6/26-6/30/14 Saratoga Springs
next - it's all in God's Hands
Redwolf8812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: