Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Get Any Gifts You Don't Want?

My daughter got me an Ariana Grande CD as a gift. About a month ago, as a gag, I said I wanted it for Christmas, and she took me seriously. I admit it's sometimes difficult to tell when I'm kidding and when I'm serious, because I often have some strange requests.

I WAS serious about requesting the Nerf bow and arrow set, and she got me that as well.

I suppose I'll exchange the CD for something else, or get a Target gift card in its place.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
bbak3030
Mouseketeer

My husband got me 4 gift cards for pedicures/manicures. He said I could take our girls and a friend and have a pampering day. I thought it was really sweet.
However, I don't care to get my nails done. My last pedicure was in 2008. Just not my thing. I'll use them, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

He tried, it was a sweet idea:-)

Trip Report: Missing Mardi Gras to meet Anna and Elsa!
bbak3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Inception on DVD, I already own it so an honest mistake.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

A magazine subscription for a magazine I don't care for nor ever even gave a hint that it would be a good match for me. 3rd year of unsuitable gifting from my stepmother. Actually-- around 30 years or so. Some selections would have made it on a Jeafl thread. But not a thing I can do except receive graciously.

I think she does try. But I also think there is lack of effort in paying attention to my interests. Some odd choices.

I bought my son a Lego set he already owned that someone have him last year. I had no idea. There was another set I liked better, so he is in for a possible upgrade to his Lego Movie collection.
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

A cooking magazine subscription. I don't want the clutter so I won't keep them around.
wishesuponastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

I kind of asked for a picture of my 3 ds and some paul mitchell shampoo and a request for no chocolate.

After I looked at my gifts I thought of Jeafl too. I wish she would post a thread about her gifts, I need a good laugh. I really dont care about the gifts though. Since my cancer stuff, I realized its really about the presence, not the presents. I will jut donate the stuff I dont want.

Ds1 gave me some bath and body works shower gels. I do like the hand soaps, but not shower gel.

I asked my ds if he smelled them and he said yes. Well one of them smells like a swamp!!

Ds2 not to be outdone by ds 1 got me 2 bags of chocolate. Yes, its somethng I have liked in the past but really didnt want chocolate this year. I am trying to eat healthier. He got me a brush. and he told me I better like it because it was suppose to be on sale and they charged him full price. I said well take it back etc. No such luck. Oh and he did get me the Paul Mitchell shampoo, just not one of the two types I asked for. He said, well just like it.

Ds3 got me a 2 lb box of Whitmans chocolate oh yeah He didnt hear the no chocolate comment and said, oh you love chocolate. Well this box of Chocolate is more than the Duggars can handle right now I think. He actually went to regift the unopened box at a party last night. When I got up this morning I saw the giant box of chocolate on the kitchen table. Its like resurrection.

And not to be outdone, dh and I who dont exchange gifts, gave me a mug with a design that is influenced from one his trips. its looks like inspired first nations artwork of a whale. I have previously told him please bring nothing back from your trips for me and if you insist then just a pen.

But heah, its about the presence not presents right. Oh and I didnt even get the presence because my dh went on a mileage run to New Zealand Christmas day and left at noon and then 2 of the ds took off for a party later on.

Enough of my whine. Enjoy your free cheese! Merry Chistmas
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #7
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I forget that my dad's wife shops early and only from our Amazon wish lists. The thing is, I add and subtract from that list as I am comparison shopping. Like before our cruise, I was shopping for a new snorkel set. I had two on my wish list as I compared reviews on other websites. I had them up for maybe a half day...in August.

And of course, I get a snorkel set for Christmas from them! And of course, I bought one for our September trip and that one is practically new.

I'm not even sure that she bought it from Amazon, either. They are not the type to accept that maybe I'd like to return them so I'm not sure what to do.

I know they meant well and I know they know I love to snorkel. I don't have a use or storage space for two sets so maybe I give it away?
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #8
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I got what I call "Generic Gift for a Woman, Type A", which is a basket of lotions and body butters from Bath & Body Works. I get one every year from my in-laws but my skin is too sensitive for scented anything, so I can't even use the stuff...which I told them once, but I don't have the heart to bring it up again. They've given me this type of gift for the last several years and now I feel I'm simply in too deep to tell them the truth at this point!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #9
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Yes, from dh. He used to be such a good gift giver to me.

I texted him a list after mentioning a few things. He got some of the items on the list, but when he deviated from the list, I got confused.

In fact, when i saw the obscene mumber of boxes for me Christmas morning, I knew something was up. It was way more than the list I texted him. I think he was trying to cover for Mother's Day-which was just a card. Yea that wasn't pretty.

The hits--5quart Kitchen Aid mixer -miss the color-silver. I would have preferred red. He said red was my second choice, I got silver to match the stainless steel appliances. Ok, I'll keep it anyway.

Gift card to home depot for plants and herbs, yay! I'll enjoy going to get what I want.

The misses-a silver colored twin set. Looks very much like a sweater he bought me last year. A grey and black shawl, his mom sent me a brown and black one for my birthday 2 weeks ago. I already have 2 others in my closet. I don't need 4. Costume jewelry-I asked for a knockoff Catherine Popesco bracelet (both the real and knockoffs are popular here). He couldn't find the knockoff, so he gets me 4 other pieces of odd costume jewelry that will take up space in the jewelry box. He could have just about purchased the real thing for what he spent on the others.

Cute, colorful tshirts with fun sayings are popular here. So I asked for one. I got one, but y'all is spelled ya'll. A pet peeve. Y'all is misspelled. So I have to take it back.

Flannel pajamas-I hate pajamas with pants. Prefer gowns. We've been married 25 years. I ve never worn pajamas with pants. Has he not noticed? Those will need to be returned.

Ahh, he really is a great guy. But I think he shopped too last minute and got desperate. I told him before, you probably need to make time to do your shopping. He had one person to buy for. I had 20. I have only 2 misses in gifts I gave-pajamas for ds20 who doesn't like ninja turtles and wants Spider-Man and a nephew who is 3 and received 3 of the same jacket.

There's always next year...

Last edited by Southernmiss; Yesterday at 09:01 AM.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #10
NewRVLady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
I got what I call "Generic Gift for a Woman, Type A", which is a basket of lotions and body butters from Bath & Body Works. I get one every year from my in-laws but my skin is too sensitive for scented anything, so I can't even use the stuff...which I told them once, but I don't have the heart to bring it up again. They've given me this type of gift for the last several years and now I feel I'm simply in too deep to tell them the truth at this point!
see-I would say something in a month or 2.
Say you have developed skin sensitivity and have to use only certain bath products!

I was looking in my son & DIL's storage closet for something and saw the HIDEOUS sculpture my MIL gave them when they married. her taste is so bizarre! Its 2 giant hands intertwined with this sappy message on the base-she got from a catalog and thinks its BEAUTIFUL!!!

I REALLY want to say something so she doesn't repeat for next wedding coming up
NewRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #11
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
My daughter got me an Ariana Grande CD as a gift. About a month ago, as a gag, I said I wanted it for Christmas, and she took me seriously. I admit it's sometimes difficult to tell when I'm kidding and when I'm serious, because I often have some strange requests.

I WAS serious about requesting the Nerf bow and arrow set, and she got me that as well.

I suppose I'll exchange the CD for something else, or get a Target gift card in its place.

DD2 wasn't on target this year I think...

DD2 gave me 2 candles from Bath and Body Works. Lavender and vanilla and the other was cranberry pear or something. Nice candles. But I'm allergic to lavender. (Yes, she knows this)

Told her thank you, and told her I would go exchange the lavender for one that wouldn't make me sneeze. But, instead, I regifted it to a friend of mine. I am not going to go to the mall until after January 1st...and I couldn't handle any more sneezing. (Four days of that was enough.) I kept the 2nd one.

DS got Thor 2 and Ironman 3 from her, on DVD. She knows I have the Blu-rays and DVD copies of both. She said she couldn't figure out what else to get him (even with the list that I sent her). She didn't get charged for them, because the first set was lost in the mail somewhere, and Amazon refunded her (I let her use my Prime account) and resent the movies. He told her thank you. DS is planning on giving them to his friend for his birthday this week.

DH got 2 t-shirts from her, from ThinkGeek. She ordered 2xl. He wears 3xl. He hasn't work 2xl since she was 3. They wanted to charge me to return them (beyond a shipping label--they wanted a restocking fee), and they only had one of the shirts in the right size. So, after a brief discussion, I told them I would just keep the shirts and cancel my $300 order that I placed that morning. The CSR said they would ship the one correct sized shirt out; they would add it to my $300 order so no shipping charges, and I could keep the other 2 (for me). (Note, I was willing to pay for the shipping charges to return the 2 tshirts, but these are tshirts, in plastic bags. To pay a restocking fee for them to throw them back into the bin is ridiculous, especially a fee of $10 per item...and the shirts themselves were $4.99 on sale) The CSR refunded her for the cost of the shirt no longer in stock.

Add on: I lost on one present too. I got DS some Transformers movie on DVD--he hates Transformers. It was a sale on Amazon, got it for $1. Did the slow shipping, got a $1 credit--so it basically cost me nothing! I did the slow shipping credits on everything I ordered before December 15th. I ended up with enough credits to buy the Divergent series of books and the Maze Runner books for the Kindle, at no cost to me. I also was able to buy me 2 Nora Roberts books on the Kindle as well, and paid $2 for both (after the credit ran out).
I think he's giving that to his friend for his birthday too...

Last edited by Jedana; Yesterday at 09:18 AM. Reason: add on
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #12
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtasanSatine View Post
Inception on DVD, I already own it so an honest mistake.
I did that to DS last year. He got The Last Airbender on DVD the year before. I bought it on sale for $1 in September last year. Forgot I had bought it in September, and found the Blu Ray copy for $3 in November.

He ended up giving the new DVD copy to his buddy.

This year, I bought the last Batman movie on Blu-ray, for $3, on Amazon sale. Already own it. We just added it to DH's Secret Santa gift for work.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #13
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
I forget that my dad's wife shops early and only from our Amazon wish lists. The thing is, I add and subtract from that list as I am comparison shopping. Like before our cruise, I was shopping for a new snorkel set. I had two on my wish list as I compared reviews on other websites. I had them up for maybe a half day...in August.

And of course, I get a snorkel set for Christmas from them! And of course, I bought one for our September trip and that one is practically new.

I'm not even sure that she bought it from Amazon, either. They are not the type to accept that maybe I'd like to return them so I'm not sure what to do.

I know they meant well and I know they know I love to snorkel. I don't have a use or storage space for two sets so maybe I give it away?
You can create another wish list for shopping that's not public if you want to use for comparison shopping -- I have a separate shopping list different from my public wish list.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #14
jam217
jam217

I got a very pretty beaded purse from my SIL. Honestly, I have no idea where I'll ever use it. It's looks like something you'd take to a fancy cocktail party. I don't even go to casual cocktail parties so it'll probably sit in the closet. My assistant got me a bunch of kitchen items since I'm re-doing that room. I'm okay with the silver spoon rest and trivets but the oven mitt is going in the donation bag.
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #15
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
I would love something like this, but nobody has ever given me a gift basket. If there is something from Bath & Body Works that won't bother your skin, maybe you can let your husband know so he can tell his parents. It would be frustrating to get something you can't use. My mom is sensitive to scented things, so I don't get her anything like that.

I only exchange gifts with my immediate family. Thankfully, I can use everything I received. I always ask my kids and husband for lists so I don't waste too much of my money on things they won't use. I add a few small surprises.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: