Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
SnoopyDancer
Mouseketeer

Question Discovery Cove Sloth Question

I was wondering if DC always has the sloth out when people visit and can you pet it? I used to teach middle school science and fell in love with sloths when I covered biomes. It would be so cool to touch a sloth. It might just make me go ahead and buy the darn tickets for DC. I have always wanted to swim with a dolphin, but not necessarily in December. However, if I get see a sloth, I might just splurge on DC tickets.
SnoopyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyDancer View Post
I was wondering if DC always has the sloth out when people visit and can you pet it? I used to teach middle school science and fell in love with sloths when I covered biomes. It would be so cool to touch a sloth. It might just make me go ahead and buy the darn tickets for DC. I have always wanted to swim with a dolphin, but not necessarily in December. However, if I get see a sloth, I might just splurge on DC tickets.
No, the sloth is not always at DC-they take him to Sea World as well. You cannot pet or touch in any way. You can pose in the "area" of the animals (for a picture)but no touching.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
SnoopyDancer
Mouseketeer

Thanks for answering my question. I will ask about the sloth when I go to Sea World. Even if I can't touch it, it will be pretty cool to see in person. If I don't get it see it, I will still be happy because I've never been there before.

I can't wait to go to SW and hopefully DC.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyDancer View Post
Thanks for answering my question. I will ask about the sloth when I go to Sea World. Even if I can't touch it, it will be pretty cool to see in person. If I don't get it see it, I will still be happy because I've never been there before.

I can't wait to go to SW and hopefully DC.
Central Florida Zoo also has sloths. We got to see a baby sloth-but again no touching.

SW has all kinds of animals, we have seen an alpaca, baby kangaroo, marsupial, and various birds/owls. They have a sea garden over by the Allure show where the animals appear several times a day.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

We were at DC on Sunday, November 13, 2011, and a handler had the sloth out while people were checking in. People were allowed to stroke his back. Not sure if they do that every day.

Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Zim
Meow meow

Yeah, I recalled we were allowed to touch the sloth out front of DC as well - maybe it has to do with the crowd level at any given time.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
SnoopyDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Central Florida Zoo also has sloths. We got to see a baby sloth-but again no touching.

SW has all kinds of animals, we have seen an alpaca, baby kangaroo, marsupial, and various birds/owls. They have a sea garden over by the Allure show where the animals appear several times a day.
Awe, baby sloths! I didn't think about the zoo. I will check to see if my zoo has a reciprocal agreement with Central Florida Zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLowe View Post
We were at DC on Sunday, November 13, 2011, and a handler had the sloth out while people were checking in. People were allowed to stroke his back. Not sure if they do that every day.
Wow, it's so cool you got to go Sunday! I hope you had fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Yeah, I recalled we were allowed to touch the sloth out front of DC as well - maybe it has to do with the crowd level at any given time.
Awesome! I am getting excited. Thanks everyone for replying.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Our DD got to pet the sloth at DC also last October (2010) - this was around 8.30am while we were checking in. Unfortunately the handler had taken him in before DH and I were all clear with the check-in process, so we didn't get to meet him.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
SnoopyDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Our DD got to pet the sloth at DC also last October (2010) - this was around 8.30am while we were checking in. Unfortunately the handler had taken him in before DH and I were all clear with the check-in process, so we didn't get to meet him.
I'm glad your daughter got to pet him! I hope you get another chance to go and are able to pet him. If I end up going, I will try to get there early.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Violet Crayon
I went with the princesses
mealtime on a regular day can get hairy with seating

A lot of times they do bring the sloth out while guests are checking in/exiting the park, and you are certainly able to pet and pose next to the sloth for photos (as many have said). The only concern with your chances in December is that many of the animals do not make as many appearances if it is 65 or below, it will definitely be inside the reception building if they come out. There is always Trainer for a Day if you wanted to go all out, it includes a small mammal interaction with the sloth, armadillo/anteater, and usually one of the birds. Plus there is a lot more time for you to ask specific questions without the stream of other guests. It doesn't hurt to keep the option open and call to inquire about the sloth, and maybe they can contact the animal care department for information.
Violet Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
GypsyOBRN
Earning My Ears

We missed the sloth but had a great time anyway!
GypsyOBRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Kidgoingon40
Mouseketeer

I am also very interested in the sloth. Hubby and I love sloths, and it would mean a lot to us to see one up close. We went to discovery cove last summer, but we did not see the sloth at check in (i think we got there around 9 am). Is the sloth often out at check in or just rarely?

We are planning to go to discovery cove for our 10th anniversary in October, and we are planning on getting the elite package to celebrate. We did this the other time we went, and it was wonderful. For our private animal meet and greet, we saw the adorable armadillo. Is there a chance the sloth could be one of the small mammals for the elite package meet and greet?

Thanks for any info you can give me!
Kidgoingon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Last June when we were there, early as well, they had the Sloth out and DD and my sister were able to stroke it's back. They are very specific on where you can touch the animal and you are allowed to pose for pictures. I think they had taken him inside by the time everyone was ready to head to breakfast so before 9 the Sloth was napping somewhere else.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Kidgoingon40
Mouseketeer

mjohnson96, thank you for the info! I am very excited they let you take a pic by him and stroke his back. Hubby and I will just have to get there as early as possible and hope the sloth is out!
Kidgoingon40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: