Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

No Summer is not that bad. People just seem to complain a lot about it for some reason. Is it hot? YES but its Florida in the summer what else would you expect? Is it crowded? YES, but that's because MOST parents are going to take their children when they are out of school. Is it unbearable? NO WAY. Totally doable!

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
Havana
DIS Veteran

If you can handle the heat, it will be manageable. Get there at RD, take an afternoon break and go back out at night.
We vowed never to go again in the heat of the summer. Even with our AP's we try to stay away during the hottest time.

Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
hushupu
Mouseketeer

We've gone in he summer a couple of times. It's not that bad. Take a break in the afternoon and stay hydrated and everything will be fine.
hushupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
atp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harding0010 View Post
As a Floridian, the summers are hot. Imagine walking outside into a steam bath that is what the humidity feels like. I would go in the summer time but I would take a mid-day break and get out of the heat. I also enjoy the water rides as much as I can.
Really? Is it like that in June as well? I live in a city that's right by the beach, so it's quite humid. And before living here, I lived in a city where it rained every single day, pretty much, often all day long...skies almost always gray and it was SO humid that there was mold everywhere, it was horrible.

However, when I went in June, it was nothing like what I was "used" to. I actually thought it was dry compared to where I used to live. I mean, it wasn't extremely dry, just not extremely humid. Maybe I was lucky?
atp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've gone in mid June twice and late June once. Get out there early, do morning EMH. Then head out mid-day when it really gets hot & crowded. Take a break back at the resort and return in the late afternoon when it cools down a little. We actually prayed for rain in the afternoon. Not only did it cool it off some but it also cleared some of the crowds. Use fastpass as much as possible.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We LOVE summer Disney trips! DH is a teacher, so we always to in summer. We used to go in June, but our last 2 trips (2010 and this past summer) have been in August. We have realized that we like August better - slightly less crowded and our bodies are more acclimated to summer heat by then, so it doesn't bother us as much.

This past August, we truly didn't find it overly crowded. Is it hot and humid? You bet! But taking small breaks in air conditioned shops and drinking lots of water did the trick. We also plan our day by doing RD at the parks, heading back to our resort after lunch for rest/swim time and then going back to the parks for the evening. We love it!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by atp View Post
Really? Is it like that in June as well? I live in a city that's right by the beach, so it's quite humid. And before living here, I lived in a city where it rained every single day, pretty much, often all day long...skies almost always gray and it was SO humid that there was mold everywhere, it was horrible.

However, when I went in June, it was nothing like what I was "used" to. I actually thought it was dry compared to where I used to live. I mean, it wasn't extremely dry, just not extremely humid. Maybe I was lucky?
It all depends on what you're used to. When I was in Dallas for a seminar I thought the humidity was oppressive -- the A/C left condensation on the windows -- but another woman was from Houston and complained that it was too dry.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
rpk1951
DIS Veteran

best thing to remember is to drink plenty of water. It is hot, but very fun.
rpk1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #24
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFHite View Post
But I hear so many bad things about summer trips to WDW, especially because of the heat and crowds. Is there anything good about visiting in June?
How about the fact that it's prettier in June than in November, and the crowds are not as bad as they are at Christmas or Easter?

It's all relative. We think it's too hot in May sometimes. And we would never go over Thanksgiving because it'd be too crowded for us. But we don't tolerate heat or crowds that well; you obviously have more tolerance for crowds and I would guess for heat, since nearly everyone does.

In my experience, the people who have troubles in the summer either don't know their tolerances very well, or for some reason didn't expect the heat or crowds. You know what you're getting into, right? Temps likely in the 90s, humidity, crowds on par with sometime Thanksgiving week, hopefully like Thanksgiving week Monday but probably no worse than the worst Thanksgiving week day. Plan for the worst -- make rope drop, plan a break during the hottest time of day, etc. -- hope for the best, and I bet you'll be fine.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
damien
Mouseketeer

I go to Disney every summer. We can't go any other time. I wish we could. The heat I can deal with, the crowds on the other hand....
damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #26
PFHite
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all of the help so far. One good thing is that my family doesn't mind rope drop. I can't remember a time when we've gone to a park in the morning without being there at rope drop. And, yes, the plan is to leave before noon, get some rest and return in the evening. My parents and our youngest daughter (6) won't make it very late, but my wife, my 14 y.o. daughter and I will stay until the parks close. Plus, we'll work in a day or two off from the parks during the week. That should help.
PFHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
DopeysGal82
Mouseketeer

June isn't THAT bad in terms of crowds.

I went once in early June. It's not an experience I am looking forward to repeating but it's not that bad. Having only had gone in January before that when it was cool, empty and did not have kids, I was not prepared for the crowds, heat, and children.

I would say to really TRY to be there at RD and leave for the midday sun, use a touring plan, and take advantage of the late night EMH.

Also, when we went it was gay days, and we ended up in the same park as the gay days crowd, which was fun, but led to a lot of bottlenecks.

I think with the right preparation you can still have a great time, but it will not compare to the lower temps and crowd levels in November
Oct '08 - Pop - MNSSHP, F&W
Dec '11 - Pop - Honeymoon!
Oct '12 - ?
DopeysGal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
shine87
Mouseketeer

I have gone in June, August, and October and The hottest trip of all was the time I went in October. The crowds are higher in summer but doable. I just went this last June and between EMH's, a decent touring plan (not perfect it was my first time doing a touring plan) and FP's the longest wait I had was 30 minutes and that was for TT (bad planning on my part) we got to do most of everything I wanted, we could have done more but for some reason a pair of shoes that I have had for a while decided to give me a blister for the first time ever on our 2nd day and I was taking it kind of slow the 2nd and 3rd day. It's deffinately doable. I'll keep going in the summer until dd has graduated or if I ever decide to take a trip with out her.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #29
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Yes summer is that bad. We went at the end of August. Heat and Humidity and sweating and raining! We've made trips to Disney World 7 times in the last 8 years and the August trip was the one that we'd not do again.
Sunnywho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

I don't think you will have a problem. I have only been to WDW in July. Yes, it is crowded per say but if you utilize FP and such you will be fine. My first ever trip to WDW was 2 years ago...we did an 8 day trip. Since it was my first time I wanted to do as much as possible, and I do gotta say I was able to do a lot. I don't know if you are night owls but if you are evening EMH are a great time to do things. We have noticed that the 12am ones are still kind of crowded but anything like 1, 2 or 3am EMH are great! This past year DH and I rode Splash Mountain 3 times in a row without ever getting off the ride during a 3am EMH. As far as the difference in weather between November and June trips...just do the basics and you shouldn't have a problem. Dress cool, drink plenty of water, and make sure to take advantage of air conditioned attractions !

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, summer, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: