Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
PFHite
Earning My Ears

Is summer really that bad?

A little bummed this week because the past two years we've left the Saturday before Thanksgiving for a week at WDW. My daughter had some medical issues this year and, because my wife and I ate through are vacation and money, we couldn't do it this year. It's not all bad because we postponed the trip to mid June. But I hear so many bad things about summer trips to WDW, especially because of the heat and crowds. Is there anything good about visiting in June? If we're used to crowds at Thanksgiving will summer crowds be as bad? I'm going to really miss the holiday decorations and the cool weather next week, but I'm hoping our summer trip goes well. Because my wife is a teacher, we can't come during off times. Holidays or summer is it for us until she retires in another 10 years or so.
PFHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
mossy1
Been there but always willing to learn from others-;)

I really don't think summer will be that bad for your trip. I will be there mid June as well!! If you are used to Thanksgiving crowds it will be comparable to summer season, but you will have the benefit of much longer park hours. The crowds will get heavier the closer you get to 4th of July. The only thing that takes a little to adjust to is the heat and humidity. Have a great trip!!

mossy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
atp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFHite View Post
A little bummed this week because the past two years we've left the Saturday before Thanksgiving for a week at WDW. My daughter had some medical issues this year and, because my wife and I ate through are vacation and money, we couldn't do it this year. It's not all bad because we postponed the trip to mid June. But I hear so many bad things about summer trips to WDW, especially because of the heat and crowds. Is there anything good about visiting in June? If we're used to crowds at Thanksgiving will summer crowds be as bad? I'm going to really miss the holiday decorations and the cool weather next week, but I'm hoping our summer trip goes well. Because my wife is a teacher, we can't come during off times. Holidays or summer is it for us until she retires in another 10 years or so.
I went for two weeks at the beginning of June, in 2010. I left on June 15th.

While it was quite hot, and my skin felt like it was on fire at time, while out in the sun, it wasn't THAT bad. Mainly because there's a lot of shade and a lot of air conditioned places that you can go to when you need a break. The fans they sell also help, as long as you use rechargeable batteries. They did nothing for me with regular ones.

Also, what I would usually do, is go to the hotel after lunch or have lunch there, to stay out of the sun and rest during the time that was hottest. I would also focus on the evening EMH, because then the temperature was just perfect.

I would go again in June or any other time when it's hot mostly because I enjoyed never having to wear a coat. All I brought was one coat, everything else was shorts and sleeveless shirts so I had plenty of room in my suitcase. I only wore the coat in the airport. It was nice not having to carry it around the parks.
atp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Since you live in Virginia, you're accustomed to the humidity. DH and I love dry heat, but find Florida is stifling. We went to WDW in July and survived, but really don't want to do that again.

If you can handle Virginia's humidity, Florida won't be that bad. If you visit the WDW parks early in the morning, take a pool/hotel break during the heat of the afternoons then return to the parks in the evening, you should be o.k.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

We went in the height of summer (August) back in 2008. It was ridiculously hot at times, but you just adapt to it and you're fine. The crowds were higher than at the usual time we go (October) but it didn't stop us doing everything we wanted to do.

I've never been in June, but I've been in April, May, August, October and November and in 2012 I'll be going February and July. I honestly don't think you'll have any problems unless you're overly sensitive to heat.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Define bad. The one thing I don't like is the heat.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

I am sensitive to the heat and get heat sick alot. We went for a week the third week in August and I did totally fine. Crowds were moderate and we just took breaks and went in the air, although it rained a day or two not the whole day so it wasn't that bad.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

We have went in June & August the last two years.

We get a later start and are not theme park commandos (DVC Members). We usually just hit the parks beginning around dinner time (5:00 p.m. for us) and we had no issues. We enjoyed the weather as we know what to pack and we enjoy the late hours and no refurbs going on either. We hit the parks for 6 hours or so and just stay until midnight.

We also do Evening EMH.

So nope, for us the summer trips are not bad at all and we love them.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
harding0010
Mouseketeer

As a Floridian, the summers are hot. Imagine walking outside into a steam bath that is what the humidity feels like. I would go in the summer time but I would take a mid-day break and get out of the heat. I also enjoy the water rides as much as I can.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Tribe
Mouseketeer

Related question:
Considering the heat in the summer, are the water parks so packed and wait times there so long that they are not really worth it?
Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
michsig
Mouseketeer

We have always gone in the summer, and I love it. However, I have nothing to compare to as far as crowds go .. I have gone at the end of July and mid-June.. it's been bearable though!

September 2014 - POR
January 2013 - CSR
July 2012 - CSR
June 2010 - CSR
michsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

We've learned that the longer park hours are the best thing about summer. You can go early in the morning before it's killer hot, go back to the hotel to swim and hang out, then go out again around dinner for the evening.

Other good stuff - everything is open; there are usually two electrical parades every night at MK; you can swim at all hours of the day at your pool and enjoy it.

We use cool ties, take lots of water with us and make sure we drink it. I almost go dehydrated one day and it felt terrible.

Expect it to be hot, dress for the weather and don't stress about it. If you go in worrying about being uncomfortable, then you will be. Mid-June is lovely, you'll have a great time.

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

We went for a week in June in 2010 as a family and July 2011 just me and DH. As I like to say... It was hot, it was crowded, but we would do it again (and did)!

Our plan was to get up early, leave around lunch for a movie or the pool or the spa, and then back to the parks for dinner, parades, fireworks, and rides.

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Poohbug
Sherlocked

I am considering a June trip also. Looking at the 9th-16th.

We can handle the heat and humidity but I am worried about the crowds. We usually visit in January or Sept. when crowds are low but the kids are getting older and I don't want to take them out of school anymore.

Anyone have any tried and true ways to beat the crowds. How long is a typical line in June? I just don't know if we should try it or not.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
mossy1
Been there but always willing to learn from others-;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbug View Post

Anyone have any tried and true ways to beat the crowds. How long is a typical line in June? I just don't know if we should try it or not.
To beat the crowds...go early!! Use FP and you will be fine!! You really won't be in line if you get there early and make the most of your mornings. I say try it...then you will know.

mossy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, summer, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: