Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #91
Leshaface
DIS Veteran
 
Leshaface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central, CA
Posts: 5,191

Wow you're updating so fast!

Oh my goodness! Okay, so I called AT&T yesterday morning, asking about what options I have in case someone needs to get ahold of me or vice versa. She said it was $2.95 (not sure if that's per minute or total), and .50 per text message sent or received. I also asked about roaming. I made SURE to ask her, is it okay if I leave my phone on in case there's an emergency at home (there's been some break-ins in our neighborhood recently so i'm VERY nervous, especially since we got a new tv and bought all our Christmas presents already) and she said, "It's just like you're at home. If you're not on your phone, you're not using data." BUT you got charged for data?! I have the iPhone so can't take out the battery, so what do you suggest I do? Keep the phone off until I get into ports, then turn it back on??

You got some great shots of the city. Was this from walking all around the top deck?! Oh forgot to ask on my last post, was the ocean water pretty warm?

Ugh, I completely feel you on the who character situation. That's too bad that the manager didn't come through for you. However, you got an AWESOME shot of Jack with Jiminy and Pinocchio!
__________________
DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT, Jan 2-9, 2015 VGF
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #92
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Your son, no joke, looks like he needs to be in water at all times. Does he do good for baths? I'm so glad that the excursion worked out well for you! I'm surprised he went down the slides by himself!

I know a bit of Spanish, so in order it's:hard hat, vest (Safety vest), and boots. It is funny that they used homer, of all people!
Yes, he LOVES baths!! I have to constantly remind him to stop splashing as he has flooded the bathroom more than once.

We have a local pool/mini waterpark and he had been going down those slides all summer. These were much bigger, but he is absolutely fearless when it comes to water. I was just surprised how fast he could make it up the tower, across the bridge and back down! He was a lot younger than the other kids going by themselves, and I worried a little about his ability to wait in line appropriately but I figured the other kids would set him straight

I figured that's what the sign meant and I thought it was hilarious that Homer was the best example they could find!

Are you super excited for your trip???
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #93
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Wow you're updating so fast!

Oh my goodness! Okay, so I called AT&T yesterday morning, asking about what options I have in case someone needs to get ahold of me or vice versa. She said it was $2.95 (not sure if that's per minute or total), and .50 per text message sent or received. I also asked about roaming. I made SURE to ask her, is it okay if I leave my phone on in case there's an emergency at home (there's been some break-ins in our neighborhood recently so i'm VERY nervous, especially since we got a new tv and bought all our Christmas presents already) and she said, "It's just like you're at home. If you're not on your phone, you're not using data." BUT you got charged for data?! I have the iPhone so can't take out the battery, so what do you suggest I do? Keep the phone off until I get into ports, then turn it back on??

You got some great shots of the city. Was this from walking all around the top deck?! Oh forgot to ask on my last post, was the ocean water pretty warm?

Ugh, I completely feel you on the who character situation. That's too bad that the manager didn't come through for you. However, you got an AWESOME shot of Jack with Jiminy and Pinocchio!
I had it prewritten, I just had to break it up due to picture limits

When I talked to Verizon before my cruise in May, they said there was a way to set your phone so no data stuff is happening like Airplane Mode. Because even if you are not using it, your apps are always updating, like FB and email and stuff. If it was me I would leave it off and ask people to contact you on the ship if there is an emergency. In your packet there is a card you can give people about how to reach you in case of emergency. Then you can also ask people to email you, and check it on the ship, it's way cheaper than using your phone. Of course, all carriers and plans are different, so maybe your plan includes more? My charges would have to have all been data since I didn't call or text anyone after we sailed. I turned off my phone sometime in the evening, probably before bed, so my phone had maybe been on 5 hours and incurred those charges. It's not a risk I would take, lol.

All those pics were from walking around the deck, it was so easy to get good shots up there! The ocean water was pretty warm, definitely comfortable.

I was glad we got the pictures with Pinocchio and Jiminy together, and they did turn out pretty well. I was pretty frustrated with the manager, but I didn't catch her name. She was skinny with really curly brown hair and I believe Eastern European (by her accent) so if you see her, kick her in the shins for me! I'm totally kidding, I'm over it now, but I wouldn't ask her for any assitance if I was you!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
kidclassic
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 110

Great report!

BTW the pool in the front is the crew pool.
kidclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #95
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidclassic View Post
Great report!

BTW the pool in the front is the crew pool.
Thanks!!

I thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #96
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 692

I love your report. I love finding new MR reports since they are not as common. We are sailing on DCL for the first time on the Wonder in 92 days but who's counting???

I have connecting rooms 2135 and 2137 booked for that cruise (I think they are immediately next to the room you had this cruise) and am wondering what you thought about noise and vibrations? Also could you hear anything above your room? We will have our DD8, DD3, and DS0 with us and don't want the two little ones to be startled at wee hours of the morning.
__________________
UmmGooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #97
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
I love your report. I love finding new MR reports since they are not as common. We are sailing on DCL for the first time on the Wonder in 92 days but who's counting???

I have connecting rooms 2135 and 2137 booked for that cruise (I think they are immediately next to the room you had this cruise) and am wondering what you thought about noise and vibrations? Also could you hear anything above your room? We will have our DD8, DD3, and DS0 with us and don't want the two little ones to be startled at wee hours of the morning.

Lol, my next booked cruise is 678 days away... NOW who's counting

The noise wasn't too bad. I noticed it, but I don't think it ever woke me up. The only morning we docked early was the Puerto Vallerta morning I think, so I might not have been awake when we docked. The first Cabo morning I KNOW we weren't docked until well after I was awake. The last morning we were up really early anyways since we had to leave, but I don't recall being awakened by the noise. I did hear it when I was awake, but it wasn't bad, I would stay in that location again. Same goes for the vibrations, there were times we could feel it in the restaurants, so it didn't matter where your room was, you were going to feel it!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #98
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Menus!

Sadly, I didn't take pictures of all the menus. HOWEVER I have found a great link where all the menus are!
Menus
Now that I have found them, I am going back and adding the "correct" names of all the meals, and will include them from here on out!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #99
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,937

Great updates. Looks like Jack is part fish! I'm glad he had such a great time.
that is awful about your phone bill though. I kept mine off the whole time for fear that would happend. I think there is a way to turn off data, but I didn't want to mess with it. I think I hear airplane mode would do it for me too.
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #100
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 625

Just caught up your whole report. Really enjoyed reading along about your cruise. Glad to hear about the drink deal for when we go. I went back in 2007 with my family and had I known that then I would have had a few more.

Just to answer a question for you ...that small pool and deck area at the front of the ship is for the crew. they get a chance to use it on any off time, which isn't often.(oops just saw someone already answered that.)
__________________
DIS Dad's Club Member


Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #101
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Great updates. Looks like Jack is part fish! I'm glad he had such a great time.
that is awful about your phone bill though. I kept mine off the whole time for fear that would happend. I think there is a way to turn off data, but I didn't want to mess with it. I think I hear airplane mode would do it for me too.
Yes, he is quite the swimmer. He will be starting swimming lessons in the summer since he doesn't seem to know his limits (or actually he doesn't seem to have any) when it comes to water, so it's best to be prepared!!

I don't think it ended up being much more than $25 because I am still on that family plan with my parents and they haven't asked me to pay it I already pay my portion of it, but if it had been a lot I'm sure they would have asked me to kick in some extra. It makes me so nervous so I just keep it off whenever I am cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
Just caught up your whole report. Really enjoyed reading along about your cruise. Glad to hear about the drink deal for when we go. I went back in 2007 with my family and had I known that then I would have had a few more.

Just to answer a question for you ...that small pool and deck area at the front of the ship is for the crew. they get a chance to use it on any off time, which isn't often.(oops just saw someone already answered that.)
I'm glad you like my report so far. I have stalled out a bit but I plan to post at least one more day on Sunday (I am working at night and it will be slooooooow) I am determined to have this TR done by Christmas/Dec 31st ish.

Are you planning on another cruise soon? I have to say, I really liked the itinerary and if it wasn't for the new excitingness of the Dream, I would do this cruise again instead. I just am anxious to try out the Dream first.

Thanks for the answer anyways! I bet the crew doesn't have much downtime at all, they always seemed to be everywhere! I just finished reading Cruise Confidential and the hours they work on the ships is RIDICULOUS!!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #102
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 625

We are going on the DEC. 29th 2013 Dream New Years cruise. Dec. 29th 2013will be my 45th birthday. No kids this time. Although all my kids are grown or almost grown at this point.

If you have time you can read my 2007 TR. It's in two parts Land and SEA. Below is a link to the second part(SEA). Some of the pictures re no longer there, but most are.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1604444
__________________
DIS Dad's Club Member


Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #103
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
We are going on the DEC. 29th 2013 Dream New Years cruise. Dec. 29th 2013will be my 45th birthday. No kids this time. Although all my kids are grown or almost grown at this point.

If you have time you can read my 2007 TR. It's in two parts Land and SEA. Below is a link to the second part(SEA). Some of the pictures re no longer there, but most are.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1604444
Awesome! I would love to do a NYE cruise sometime... What a great way to celebrate a birthday too!

I will definitely check out your TR! There are so few cruise TR's, I need to read as many as I can!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #104
stephielela
DIS Veteran
 
stephielela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,529

So if you didn't think I was crazy before..

...you will now!
Yesterday Southwest had a very specific 50% off sale. Yesterday I was feeling particularly uneasy about my rapidly approaching 28th birthday. Yesterday I was crazy. So when I discovered Southwest was having this sale, my impulse switch got flipped... and I booked a 1 day trip to Orlando.

Well, in actuality, I booked the airfare portion. I haven't booked the room yet, though I will have to do that soon as the room only offer ends Wednesday. The airfare was $140 and the room will be $66 (before tax). My parents are giving me the airfare for my birthday, and I am hoping to get the $ to cover the room and my one day park ticket for my birthday/Christmas gift from my granmother (she always does $). The dates Southwest was offering were Jan 24,24,31 and Feb 1, which meant either a 6 day vacation (no way was I going to have the $ and time available) or a 1 day vacation (time not an issue, since I get 2 days off a week)... or the obvious option of saying well thanks but no thanks and not booking. The upside is if I come to my senses and cancel, I can use that $ on another flight with Southwest, and I know there will be an opportunity later on this year, so I won't be out any $.

So in summary, am I nuts? Absolutely. But it means I am currently going to WDW on Jan 31st and coming home Feb 1. I will spend the 31st at DTD and resort hopping and watching Wishes on the Polynesian beach while drinking a Lava Coloda and the 1st at Epcot, my favorite park, where I will get to meet up with Nikki (NikkiLovesWDW!), a fellow TA at my agency and her husband Tom and we will have margaritas.
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #105
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,937

Yay!!! Sounds like your 1st day will be similar to mine during aep. I'm so excited for you....and Nikki
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: