Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #136
stephielela
DIS Veteran

part 4

After the parade we were ready for a snack so we grabbed some popcorn and headed off into Toon Town!

Our first stop was Minnie’s house

Then we headed to Mickey’s

Then to Chip and Dale’s!

This one just has a slide or something in it. Jack went in and around a couple times before we headed to Gadget’s Go Coaster.
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #137
stephielela
DIS Veteran

part 5

We had gotten to see a couple episodes of Rescue Rangers on the ship before bed times as well!
We headed out of Toon Town then to Adventureland (I wanted to make sure we saw at least one thing in each land)
Castle on the way…

We went to see the ORIGINAL Enchanted Tiki Room. It was nice to be inside as it was getting cold outside again. I think at this point it was only about 4 pm but it was getting dark already. Once we were done singing with the Tiki Gods we headed to Main Street and stopped in the Emporium. I just thought this was adorable:

With Disneyland marked off the list, we headed back over to DCA. I asked Jack if he wanted to ride Soarin’ again and he said no. We stopped to eat dinner at Taste Pilots Grill. We both had chicken nuggets and fries. Again I think it was around $20

Jack was getting whiny but there was no way we were leaving without seeing World of Color. That meant I got to drag a whiny boy around for a few more hours. He didn’t want to ride anything so we walked over to the Grand Californian to get a look in the lobby. Unfortunately they were cleaning it, and possible getting ready to set up the tree, so we only got to check out the gift shop. Jack got some gummies, and then we headed over to Paradise Pier. I wanted to look for World of Color merchandise. They had some cute stuff but I decided to wait until the next day when we went to World of Disney. I did get Jack a sweatshirt because it was getting colder and colder, and I had planned on buying him one there anyways. He was still whiny. We got some hot chocolate on our way to the viewing area. We ended up with a great spot for the show. The weather had kept a lot of people away. I wish there was seating though, I think we got there and started standing an hour before the show. Naturally about 20 minutes before the show Jack declares that he has to go potty. I was freaking out, I didn’t want to lose our spot, but this really nice group of women offered to hold our place for us. I was so relieved, Jack and I rushed to the bathroom and back. Then we chatted with them for the rest of the wait. Jack was telling them all about the cruise and everything.
Pictures of the Mickey Wheel

Soon the show started. I had to hold Jack for most of it because there is a wall that he couldn’t see over. My arms were so tired and for boring parts I put him down. I didn’t really take any pictures of the show, I just wanted to take it in!

For anyone who is not familiar with the show, in simple terms, they shoot up big walls of water and use lights and projectors to play scenes from movies. It’s really amazing and well worth a trip!
We left right after the show and dragged ourselves back to the hotel. We were back by 8:56 pm. I put Jack in the bath while I got stuff repacked. Here are some pictures of the room:

I wasn’t feeling very well so I took a shower after Jack was out of the bath. He wanted to watch TV but insisted on watching Bolt… in Spanish. He eventually fell asleep watching it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #138
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Heading Home

The next morning we packed up and headed out to grab some breakfast. Our shuttle was coming at 12 to take us to the airport so we had some time to shop at Downtown Disney.
View from our room

Waiting for the elevator

We stopped at Ihop for breakfast. Jack and I split a breakfast platter, I ate the pancakes and he ate the bacon and eggs and some of the hash browns.

We spent a while shopping around. I told Jack he could get one thing, and it took forever for him to decide. He finally ended up with a Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster gun, which I felt was fitting since it was his favorite ride. I got a travel mug.

On the way out I saw these shirts which made me miss our cruise…

Then we headed to one of my favorite things about California!

And Jack experienced his first Jamba Juice!

Pretty soon it was time to head back to the hotel
We got our suitcases and waited in the lobby until the shuttle came.

We got to LAX and hung out for a bit. We ate at McDonald’s and got a present for my mom from See’s before heading to our gate which was tucked back in this tiny corner of the airport. It was really weird. I was hoping to charge Jack’s DVD player there, but no luck.

Soon we were heading home!

We made it back in one piece. Depressed, but in one piece.
Here are some of the souvenirs from our cruise:

Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #139
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Final Thoughts

One of the biggest reasons I wanted to take this trip was to find out what all the hype was about in regards to Disney Cruise Line. I had always heard about their cruises but I just couldn't understand why people would be willing to pay the rates when you can get cruises to the same places on other lines at much lower prices. I am a single mom and I am most definitely not made of money, so I really didn't think there would be a way for me to justify paying those prices. I got such a great deal on this sailing that I knew I had to take the opportunity. Now... I totally get the hype!

I have been on two other cruises with Jack in the past 2 years and this was by far our best experience ever. I have sailed on a 3 day Bahamas cruise with Norwegian and a 5 day Caribbean with Carnival. DCL one blew the others away in terms of service, atmosphere, food and entertainment, no questions asked. I know that because I am sailing with a child, the amount of fun Jack has on board weighs heavily in my comparisons, and despite not spending a whole ton of time in the Oceaneer's Club, Jack had a much better time on this cruise. The whole experience really is more magical, and I can say without a doubt I will be sailing with Disney whenever possible.

That being said, if there is a time when I don't have Jack with me, or when I have a more limited budget, I can see myself trying other lines as well. I had the luxury of renting a cabana on Carnival's private island, Half Moon Cay, and it was only $200 for the day compared to DCL's Castaway Cay and their $500 cabanas. There are some experiences I really wouldn't be able to afford with Disney and that will always play a part in my decision making (unless I find myself independently wealthy one of these days).

As I mentioned before I am booked on Disney's Dream for 2013 and I am most definitely counting down the days. The Wonder is an older ship, and while it's age is showing in some spots, it is still the most luxurious of the three ships I have been on. I can't wait to see the new innovative aspects of the Dream and her sister ship, Fantasy.

When it comes to the Disneyland portion of our trip, I am glad we did it, but it was the wrong decision to make. That one day alone cost as much as the entire cruise, if not more, and that was with staying off property and eating cheaply, not to mention minimal souvenir buying. I have had the pleasure of visiting Disneyland several times when I used to live in California, but I never really appreciated how much those trips cost until now. The park tickets alone set us back over $200. I do want to visit Disneyland again sometime after Carsland is finished and when we can spend more time (and $) and really enjoy ourselves.

I hope you all enjoyed our adventure. If you have the chance to take this cruise, I would highly recommend it! We both had a fantastic and magical time!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #140
iluvStitch29
Mouseketeer

Thank you so so so SO much for taking the time to do this TR.. I've enjoyed reading it from beginning to end, and I completely appreciate all of the time you put into this! It looks like you (and your adorable son ) had a great trip, and it's gotten me even more excited for my MR cruise next month Thanks again; reading this has been really helpful, and I've really enjoyed following along!

Rachel
POR - Thanksgiving '06 & May '11
DCL Magic - May '11
DCL Wonder - Feb. '12

iluvStitch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #141
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Thanks for writing such a fabulous trip report! We are sailing the Wonder in March (our first cruise ever) with our two daughters, so it really helped to get a mom's point of view.

I do have one question. DO you remember about how much you paid for those adorable DCL tee shirts that have the characters on them? We typically skip souvenirs almost entirely, but those are just too cute!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #142
nsiordia
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the Awesome TR!!! Disneyland is pricey, I completely agree. We find since we don't live too far that AP's are the best option (as well as priceline )

DL AP HOLDERS

Sailed to the Mexican Riviera on the Wonder January 2012 - best cruise ever!
nsiordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #143
marhs
DIS Veteran

I'm so sad your Trip Report is over! I really enjoyed reading it and looked forward to the updates! We are going next month on the Wonder and since my DH and DD can't get off too much work/school I'm taking my 3 year old DS out to CA a few days early so just the two of us will be doing Disneyland on our own until DH and DD arrive to meet us for the cruise. So, it was nice to see Disneyland from your perspective.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and post your great photos!!!
marhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #144
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Thanks for writing this report, it's amazing how different each person's experiences can be. I am currently following three Wonder TRs and each pair of folks had a great time with completely different trips!

Have a great time in January!
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #145
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

You did such an awesome job with your TR! I really enjoyed reading all about it. Hopefully you'll do a TR for your cruise in 2013

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #146
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Wow you've been an updating fool!!

Doesn't that hairdryer absolutely stink?! I took my own and had I not, I would have been drying my hair for hours.

Our trip was opposite yours. I was feeling the movement on the first day at sea! I was completely fine on the Bahamian cruise but this one really got to me.

Hope to read about your last day soon!
I really had a great time but I just wanted to be done with the TR! With my mini trip coming up I wanted to get my "Never Ending PTR" started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
YAY!!!!

I am SOOOOO excited for your trip & for Nikki's!!!! I'm seriously hoping to have the baby prior to your meeting on the 1st -- but you never know!!! Regardless, I know you guys will enjoy drinking those margaritas for me!!!

Suggestions for CS at Epcot -- Hmmmm....Epcot is my absolute favorite place to eat! I definitely suggest grabbing a dessert in Norway AND France (yes you can't pick just one!) We like that Sunshine Seasons (in the Land Pavilion) gives you a lot of options. I've gone there & only got dessert (chocolate mousse cake or strawberry cake). I've also gotten an entire meal there. I love their chicken and noodle dish. I think its called Sesame Chicken or something like that ?? I'll look it up on AllEars and let you know for sure! They have little things like salads or huge meals like half a chicken! But in my personal opinion, there is no wrong choice at Epcot!!!!

Sorry I haven't been posting here, but you know I've been following your blog & keeping up with your trip that way!!!
Thanks for the suggestions! Whether you've had the baby or not, you KNOW Nikki and I are good for a drink (or two) in your honor! Don't worry about not posting, I know life has been hectic for everyone! Id it wrong to be glad the holidays are over? I feel so behind on life in general!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvStitch29 View Post
Thank you so so so SO much for taking the time to do this TR.. I've enjoyed reading it from beginning to end, and I completely appreciate all of the time you put into this! It looks like you (and your adorable son ) had a great trip, and it's gotten me even more excited for my MR cruise next month Thanks again; reading this has been really helpful, and I've really enjoyed following along!

Rachel
I'm really glad you liked it! We did have an absolutely amazing time. I hope you do a TR for your trip as well! I love seeing the different perspectives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
Thanks for writing such a fabulous trip report! We are sailing the Wonder in March (our first cruise ever) with our two daughters, so it really helped to get a mom's point of view.

I do have one question. DO you remember about how much you paid for those adorable DCL tee shirts that have the characters on them? We typically skip souvenirs almost entirely, but those are just too cute!
You are going to have such a great time! Especially for a first cruise, you will be spoiled by Disney, you won't want to sail with anyone else!
I believe the yellow tshirt was $14.95, it was the smallest kids size I could get for Jack and it ended up being a little too big, but he will grow into it

The sweatshirt was mine and I believe it was between $40 and $50, but I will double check on that and let you know. They had kids sizes too that were cheaper. I will look at my reciepts and get back to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiordia View Post
Thanks for the Awesome TR!!! Disneyland is pricey, I completely agree. We find since we don't live too far that AP's are the best option (as well as priceline )
Thanks!
I have always wanted an AP, and when we lived in California it might have been worth it, but now I can never be sure I am going to get my $'s worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhs View Post
I'm so sad your Trip Report is over! I really enjoyed reading it and looked forward to the updates! We are going next month on the Wonder and since my DH and DD can't get off too much work/school I'm taking my 3 year old DS out to CA a few days early so just the two of us will be doing Disneyland on our own until DH and DD arrive to meet us for the cruise. So, it was nice to see Disneyland from your perspective.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and post your great photos!!!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I will be starting my next PTR tomorrow
You guys will have so much fun, mommy and DS time is great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Thanks for writing this report, it's amazing how different each person's experiences can be. I am currently following three Wonder TRs and each pair of folks had a great time with completely different trips!

Have a great time in January!
I know! I love comparing perspectives. Are you ready to book a cruise of your own now!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
You did such an awesome job with your TR! I really enjoyed reading all about it. Hopefully you'll do a TR for your cruise in 2013
Thanks! Now I need to go get caught up on everyone else's! I will be starting a never ending ptr that willc over the 2013 cruise eventualy...
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #147
iluvStitch29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I'm really glad you liked it! We did have an absolutely amazing time. I hope you do a TR for your trip as well! I love seeing the different perspectives!
I'll try! I'm a junior in high school, so since we're leaving during the middle of the school year, I'll probably be swamped.. but I'll see what I can do! Again, great job on yours!

Rachel
POR - Thanksgiving '06 & May '11
DCL Magic - May '11
DCL Wonder - Feb. '12

iluvStitch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #148
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I know! I love comparing perspectives. Are you ready to book a cruise of your own now!?
I'm ready to book a cruise. I don't think we're going to get in on the Mexican Riviera before it goes away. With our May trip (Feb DL trip) and Oct trip, I don't see how we would fit it in. Plus we have three vacant apartments, one requiring rennovation before it goes on the market and another that is not quite done. I think we're going to have to pass until we're all rented have a chance to recover. Hopefully they'll send another ship over in the spring of 2013 except that I'm hoping F&W returns so we'll be busy.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #149
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvStitch29 View Post
I'll try! I'm a junior in high school, so since we're leaving during the middle of the school year, I'll probably be swamped.. but I'll see what I can do! Again, great job on yours!

Rachel
Well, at the very least take some notes so you can always write it up later! I found it so much easier this time because I had actually spent 5 minutes every night writing notes while I downloaded the pictures off my camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm ready to book a cruise. I don't think we're going to get in on the Mexican Riviera before it goes away. With our May trip (Feb DL trip) and Oct trip, I don't see how we would fit it in. Plus we have three vacant apartments, one requiring rennovation before it goes on the market and another that is not quite done. I think we're going to have to pass until we're all rented have a chance to recover. Hopefully they'll send another ship over in the spring of 2013 except that I'm hoping F&W returns so we'll be busy.

I know! I am so sad they are canceling the MR ones! I really wanted to do it again, maybe they will bring them back... It does sound like you will be busy though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: