Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #31
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Do the 50K points expire?
No, points don't expire as long as you have flight earning activity on your card at least once every 2 years -- meaning you need to charge something at least once every 2 years.

I snapped up this deal back in August. The deal has been around and never really went away as Southwest has kept the 50,000 bonus since then. The difference now is that the card fee is $69 with 3000 free points vs $99 with 6000 free points which equals $100 in airfare. So my annual fee is actually free as long as I fly and apply the yearly bonus points.

I haven't opened up a new credit card in probably 10 years because I don't like having too many Visa or MC around that I don't need, but this deal was too good to pass up.

I got instant approval and received the signature visa. It depends on your credit as to whether or not you'll get the signature visa. The signature visa also has very good perks like B1G1 free Fandango movie tickets on Fridays.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #32
StephyDee
One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give me an awesome tag. Until then?.....BACON AND DUCKS! >:D

*sigh*

Well, I just checked to see how many points I'd need to fly from Atlanta to Orlando, since we're moving close to Atlanta........annnnnnd they don't fly from ATL to MCO. Of COURSE they fly from Philly to MCO, but I won't be here by then. That just isn't right.

My Ultimate Dream: To see Walt Disney World during Christmas time...and not worry about how much it costs to reach that dream...*sigh*
StephyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #33
tkitty
DIS Veteran

As good as it sounds- I keep putting off applying because I'm worried about getting all 4 of our tickets together using these points. It sounds easy enough, but what if I find the "Wanna Get Away" fare for the dates I want, can I buy the ($10?) prefered seating/boarding per ticket even on these low fares?

So afraid to split up the family (grandparents and 2 kids) as I am so used to choosing our seats for us.
Grew up near DL-Disneyland grad nite jr hi 1973-High school 1976 *1999 Land & Sea pkg - Contemporary/Disney*2005 First Disneyland trip with Grandson*2006 WDW Aug. POFQ*2008 Disneyland trip (first for granddaugter)*WDW-OKW & ASMu Oct 2009*Best DL trip ever May 2010* 1st MHP-DL! Oct 2011* OKW/POFQ Grandkids trip Oct 2012

tkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #34
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Question; I know I can switch my non-rewards Chase Slate card over to a rewards card ... at least I was told so a few months ago (I declined).

However if done, does anyone know if the bonus points would apply to such?

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Savannah * POFQ * POR

Lehuaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #35
mmorris72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitty View Post
As good as it sounds- I keep putting off applying because I'm worried about getting all 4 of our tickets together using these points. It sounds easy enough, but what if I find the "Wanna Get Away" fare for the dates I want, can I buy the ($10?) prefered seating/boarding per ticket even on these low fares?

So afraid to split up the family (grandparents and 2 kids) as I am so used to choosing our seats for us.
Yes, you can add the EBC. We just did this in September and had no problem. Just make sure you add it right away, the sooner you add it, the better your boarding #.
mmorris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #36
tkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris72 View Post
Yes, you can add the EBC. We just did this in September and had no problem. Just make sure you add it right away, the sooner you add it, the better your boarding #.
Thanks so much! No putting it off any longer...
Grew up near DL-Disneyland grad nite jr hi 1973-High school 1976 *1999 Land & Sea pkg - Contemporary/Disney*2005 First Disneyland trip with Grandson*2006 WDW Aug. POFQ*2008 Disneyland trip (first for granddaugter)*WDW-OKW & ASMu Oct 2009*Best DL trip ever May 2010* 1st MHP-DL! Oct 2011* OKW/POFQ Grandkids trip Oct 2012

tkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #37
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

A could use a little help..
applied for this offer and got my card and already made m first purchase. I'm seeing that most people are getting the points after the first bill, so i'm going to try and move my bill date up so i can try to use gc for christmas. That being said, when i go to the redeem rewards link, it wants a log in and password. I dont know what those are- will they be with my statement or did i throw away that information by accident? anyone know where i can find my rapid rewards log in info? thank you!

me (31) dh (33) DS (3) DS (1)

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Cant wait for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #38
Zim
Meow meow

Well, I guess I made the right choice here. I got the CC when it was $99 annual fee... when the card came I just couldn't bear paying the fee (I've never had a CC with an annual fee!). I found the "Buyer's Remorse" fine print that gave you an opt out in a reasonable amount of time within receiving the first bill with the $99 on it and cancelled it (they don't make you pay the fee).

Now I can get almost the same deal for $69 annually? Just accruing a few less points annually for $70 a year. I signed up again - hopefully this time with no buyer's remorse. Honestly, I'm surprised my application was accepted, I only just cancelled the other one last month (guess we'll see if it arrives!!)
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #39
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Well, that was a little too easy!! I think it took 5 seconds after I hit "submit" to get the "your application has been approved" message!

Southwest does not currently fly in or out of Atlanta, but since they purchased my beloved Airtran, it will be happening soon (several SW flights begin Feb 2012).

I won't miss the cancel fees and baggage fees of Airtran, but I sure will miss their Business Class! (I confirmed with Airtran, their planes will be converted and Business Class will be no more.)

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #40
TnTWalter
DIS Veteran

I did the $99 a year. They would not adjust when the $69 came out.

I had a trip to San Francisco we were trying to do on a Budget....I had been watching the 'wanna get away' prices. The credit card offer came out about 2-3 months before the trip and was worried. It says can take 6-8 weeks after purchase. I purchased as soon as I received. Received the credit in about 2 weeks. Had no issues getting flights for the points...

We purchased 2 $300 tix R/T to San Francisco. Just had to pay the $10 tax or whatever.

So it cost us $120 [$99 + $10 each] to fly for 2 to San Francisco vs. $600+.

In addition, I was able to change our flight home to a later time that opened up close to when we were leaving FREE!! No hassles. How awesome is that!

You can do the early bird $10 but it's for each leg....so if you aren't nonstop you're looking at $20 EACH WAY. Not worth it IMHO. Just check in 24 hours in advance. Dont print yet so you can quickly check everyone in. Print later. You should get A or early B check-in.

Read about HILTON program for the Visa Signature cards....so used it to book a hotel.... I was automatically upgraded to gold status by using the credit card. We had a suite with a balcony for a soccer tourny.

After the hotel, I had points [4k] to then get a $50 FREE Amazon Gift Card. Woo Hoo.

I haven't used it since but if there's another opportunity for upgrades, etc. I will take it!

Trish

April 2011 Offsite @ Bonnet Creek
June 2009 Offsite @ Windsor Hills followed by Beach Week @ Anna Maria Island
October 2007 Hawaii @ POLY
January 2006 Connecting Rooms @ POP 50s Sect.

Last edited by TnTWalter; 11-10-2011 at 07:55 AM.
TnTWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #41
ICF
DIS Veteran

Just signed up.....and my wife will be soon as well.

100K points will be more than enough for the 4 of us to fly to Disney!
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #42
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyDee View Post
It's actually the same offer. Look here:

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/southwest/octrrhome

Look at the paragraph under the header for "2 FREE FLIGHTS!" and you'll see.

Now, I really don't need another credit card, seeing as I just got my Chase Freedom card not too long ago, I have a Capitol One card that I never use anymore, and a Sears Mastercard I've yet to activate. (I might even have a New York & Company card, but again, I never activated it because honestly, I got it just for the promotion they had. It was like, $20 off every $50 you spend if you use the card. I was too tempted lol)

I really REALLY want this card, because it'd make my goal for having enough money for Christmas at Disney 2012 that much closer. I'm just worried I have too many cards. I mean, I can balance spending with them, and I know I won't go overboard because of the fact that I have so many (and I'm responsible with spending), but just for credit reasons, I'm nervous. I need a second opinion before I jump into this.
The offer for 2 roundtrip tickets (or more if you have an already low point fare) for $69 is a good deal. But if you can not handle credit cards and they allow you to spend, carry a balance, and pay interest - this is not for you. Only get a credit card if you can pay it off every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitty View Post

I know this was already answered but let me tell you that I am a frequent flier on Southwest. I completely understand the desire to sit your family together! Keep in mind that if you have any children 5 or under, they will seat you before the 'b' set and you will get seats together. And if by any chance you get in the last seating, usually kind strangers will move to let you sit next to each other. BUT I know you are concerned so yes, you can buy those preferred boarding passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Just signed up.....and my wife will be soon as well.

100K points will be more than enough for the 4 of us to fly to Disney!
I like the way you think!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #43
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

I am soooo tempted to do this. I've gotten both an email offer and a mail offer, as we normally fly SW for vacations when possible.

I only have one credit card that I've had for about 8 years and no other credit cards since then. Yeah, I'm boring like that.

Who can't use free flights? Especially for when we get a desire to go somewhere ~ then we won't need to worry about flights.

You've all talked me into it. I'm going to apply.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #44
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

I did it and was approved. Woot!
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #45
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

DH was just approved, too. So 4 roundtrips in our future!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: