Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Southwest is giving 50,000 points again

Just to let you know Southwest is again giving away 50,000 points when you sign up for their credit card. This time there is only a 69.00 annual fee, last time I paid 99.00 in August. It's an awesome deal, I already bought 2 roundtrip tickets and I still have 36,000 points left. Also if you signed up recently when they were giving out 25,000 points you can call and they can credit you the extra 25,000 points, my mom did that this week
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Do you have a link? I'm usually one to steer clear of signing up for cc's just for the perks, but that's awfully tempting.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Hmmmmm
I already have one of their cards and have miles on it, not sure if I want to add another but it is awfully tempting to have those free flights for next year...

I tried one link online after googling and it said offer not valid However, re-did it and went to the chase site and it is there, 69. a year...
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
ajlsjl
Mouseketeer

Hmmm. Wonder if we can get the card, book the free flights, then cancel the card? What's the fine print on this?
ajlsjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

DH and I just did this- got approved for the cards, got them in about 5-7 days. I did one for each of us- so now we have 100,000 points.
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
curseofcurves
Mouseketeer

I've never looked into one of these airline card offers before. How do the free miles work? How many miles do flights cost(Does a 500 mile flight cost 500 miles?) Are there blackout dates? Are you allowed to cancel at any time? Are there extra fees?

Sorry for so many questions. Maybe a link would help answer them. This sounds extremely tempting!
December 2012 - Holiday time at Disney World
curseofcurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
mommy2taylor
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by curseofcurves View Post
I've never looked into one of these airline card offers before. How do the free miles work? How many miles do flights cost(Does a 500 mile flight cost 500 miles?) Are there blackout dates? Are you allowed to cancel at any time? Are there extra fees?
This is a great offer, I wouldn't pass up! Each airline runs their program a bit differently. Southwest's website says that 50,000 points is equal to approx $800...you can go on their website and play around with it to see how many points a round trip ticket is from your location. Under the rapid rewards tab in black on their home page, there is a link that says book with points. Southwest does not charge a cancellation fee or rebook fee. There are no blackout dates....an awesome offer. On their website it says 2 free flights, but it is the 50,000 points you get, so you may actually get more than 2 flights. For instance a round trip flight from Hartford to Orlando can run as low as around 15000 points, so we would get 3 flights free! My husband and I each got one!
Rented house 11/2003
Off Property 12/2001
Port Orleans/Wonder December 1-7th, 2000
Condo 1995
mommy2taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

It is a FANTASTIC offer. I love Southwest and so far this card has been great!

1. Every single fare has a point value. It is a formula where $1 of fare = 60 points (for the Wanna Getta Way fare class). So a $100 flight is 6,000 points. There are no blackouts or restrictions, so if there is a seat on the plane, you can use points!

2. No cancellation or change fees. If you cancel or change a flight your points just drop back in your account. They are not tied to the name on the reservation.

3. No baggage fees on Southwest!

4. There is an annual fee, but they give you enough points on your anniversary to cover the fee basically. I have the $99 fee card, and I get 6,000 points on my anniversary. This offer is $69 fee with 3,000 points on your anniversary, which basically makes the annual fee $19.

5. There are tons of ways to get bonus points in your rapid reward account. They send out emails, have partners, etc. Plus they have something called tiers that give you bonus points for each level you reach.

6. You get 1 point for every dollar you spend on the card. So if you charge $749 this month, you get 749 points. I used to use the Disney card and if I charged $749 I would only get $7 rewards dollars. I like getting something for every single $ I spend.

I honestly cannot believe how fast I am racking up rewards on this card. We can generally get a flight out of PHL in the 12-13k point range. I already have 62,000 points in my account (50k from offer and 12k that I've earned) and I only got the card in August. I charge all my bills to the card except for gas and pay it off weekly. It is a GREAT card!

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
ranthony
DIS Veteran

What about Airtran flights?

For cities like Allentown that only offer service from Airtran could the points be used the same way?
ranthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
ICF
DIS Veteran

Do the 50K points expire?
ICF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthony View Post
For cities like Allentown that only offer service from Airtran could the points be used the same way?
I believe that Air Tran still has its own rewards program, so at least for now No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Do the 50K points expire?
Technically the points never expire. You do need to have earning activity in your Rapid Rewards account though every 24 months. Which means either a flight or a purchase through one of their partners. I am not sure what happens if you don't have an earnign activity, but I did check it out and I believe teleflora is one of their "partners" as well as lots of others. So I figure worst case scenario is I send a bouquet of flowers to someone if I need earnign activity.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

I just got the card last month on the 50,000 points offer but paid $79 in fees. I am going to call and see if they will adjust it.
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
pandamom
I want to go to WDW NOW!
Loves Panera Bread

Thank you OP! DH was approved yesterday. Wish I'd signed up also like a previous poster did -- never thought of it and now the "deal" they are offering is 10,000 miles and $100 credit. The 50,000 points will cover 4 round trip tickets for us from Chicago to Orlando.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
plutofreak
See you in a month Mickey!!

ok help me out here. If I apply for the card and get the 50,000 miles, are those miles available for immediate use? Example if I apply now, can I use the miles for early December?

So let me get this straight. I sign up for the card and pay $69.00. I then get miles for free airfare. I just have to make a purchase every 24 months through a partner or southwest. Can I cancel the card whenever I want too. Something about this just seems to good to be true?

TIA
plutofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Judyat
Mouseketeer

Points are available after first purchase. They also add annual fee to first bill so you have it for a year so I wouldn't recommend canceling after first purchase since you'll pay annual fee up front. I love southwest and did this deal for $99 annual fee which they give you that amount in points annually so fee basically pays for $99 of points yearly.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: