Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Hobbes
DIS Veteran

tell us about Fantasia Gardens

How long to allow for? Is there somewhere for snacks and restrooms? How hard is it (I'm less Tiger Woods, more Tony the Tiger....)
2007 Introducing my DBf to the World-Pop 2010 DBf's birthday at Pop and we got engaged
2011 Our Disneymoon-me and Snorky at POFQ 2013 Our 2nd anniversary ASMu
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

There are restrooms and a snack cart that sells coke products and chips/cookies. Both sides are fun, the fairway side is more for Tiger Woods and the Fantasia side is more for Tony the Tiger to put in your words. We liked both sides but would probably play Fantasia before we play the fairways one again. The fairways side has numerous sandtraps and feels more like a practice putting green.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
laurabythesea
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrrby View Post
We liked both sides but would probably play Fantasia before we play the fairways one again. The fairways side has numerous sandtraps and feels more like a practice putting green.
I agree... But to be even more specific about the mini-golf... I would go to Winter Summerland. It's MUCH more fun than Fatasia Gardens, IMHO.
laurabythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
How long to allow for? Is there somewhere for snacks and restrooms? How hard is it (I'm less Tiger Woods, more Tony the Tiger....)
These days Tiger Woods is more Tony the Tiger too....
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

Fantasia Gardens has typical hole mechanisms but everything is white. Winter Summer Land is far more colorful and you have the option of doing either or both. I'd rate the level of difficulty at Fantasia vs WinterSummerland as about the same. I've never had the nerve to play the Fairways.

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12; AKL Oct 13
NEXT: F&W, Oct 14
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

I thought Fantasia Gardens was Ok, but I liked Winterland/Summerland much more. It just seemed more fun to play. There was more to look at. I think we played the "easier" side, but still thought it was challenging.
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
quinnc19
DIS Veteran

Thanks to this discussion, I'm moving our mini-golf outing to Winterland/Summerland - in addition to the points raised by the pp, it will be the best theme for our Christmas trip!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
RyMickey
Disney Freak
"Now get ready, here we go!"
I'm still not entirely sure about my tag

Let me be the voice of disagreement here. While Winter Summerland perhaps has better theming, I think Fantasia Gardens (both the Fairways and Regular sides) are better overall miniature golf courses in terms of "challenge." And I don't mean that in a Tiger Woods "this is too hard" way. When we played Winter Summerland it felt like too many of the holes were "easy hole-in-one" holes...while some may like that, my brothers and I (who, granted, are all over 24 and "real" golfers) found that it became boring.

Certainly, I'd perhaps avoid the Fairways side because it is genuinely the most difficult mini golf course around (with hole-in-ones nearly impossible...although it is possible on some holes), but the regular mini golf side is one of our favorite mini golf courses we've ever played.
Classic and Recently Released Movie Reviews
PLUS The Disney Discussion -- A look at all of Disney's animated features
Previous Trip Tally: 28 (I think) Trips since 1983 with stays at Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village, Port Orleans FQ, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
RyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnc19 View Post
Thanks to this discussion, I'm moving our mini-golf outing to Winterland/Summerland - in addition to the points raised by the pp, it will be the best theme for our Christmas trip!
Just a heads up, if you booked a MYW package through Disney you should have a voucher that gets you money off. I'm not sure if it was one free game or what. But it helps. Otherwise the tickets are 12.00 adult 10.00 kids.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We have enjoyed Fantasia Gardens a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. I have never done Winter Summerland, but we were not bored at Fantasia Gardens at all.
I am not a golfer but we played the Fairways side and had a great time
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
jalaine
Mouseketeer

We're leaving this Friday and I was planning on taking the kids to Fantasia Gardens one day. Thanks to this thread, I did a little more research and decided to change it to Winter Summerland instead! Looks like so much more fun!!! I looked at the pictures of all the holes for Fantasia on easyWDW I think it was and then at a few YouTube videos for W/S. WinterSummerland hands down looks like more fun for the kiddos Maybe we'll do Fantasia on another trip!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Hobbes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMickey View Post
When we played Winter Summerland it felt like too many of the holes were "easy hole-in-one" holes...while some may like that, my brothers and I (who, granted, are all over 24 and "real" golfers) found that it became boring.
Funnily enough we played the Summer side many years ago and it was noticeable that even my DNephs got holes in one-although their's was more the "Close your eyes and wang it hard" method of golf....
2007 Introducing my DBf to the World-Pop 2010 DBf's birthday at Pop and we got engaged
2011 Our Disneymoon-me and Snorky at POFQ 2013 Our 2nd anniversary ASMu
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
gpeters93
Mouseketeer

We always play Fantasia Fairways. I was told by the CM at the desk that you can play three holes on the "Fairways" side and if you decide it's too hard you can switch over to the "Gardens" side free of charge. One full round on "Fairways" probably takes about 45 minutes to complete for a group of three or less.

Also, at any mini-golf course, you and your friends can always agree to a maximum score for any hole. At "Fairways" I think the official max is 6. The big difference in my view is that there are a few holes on the "Fairways" course where you need a fair amount of hand-eye coordination to really smack the ball off the tee in order to get it going toward the hole.
gpeters93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
ScoJo15
There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have. ~ Unknown

I'm with the posters that prefer the Gardens course at Fantasia Gardens over the Winter/Summerland courses. I like the layout, atmosphere and some of the whimsical features (water shooting out) better at the Gardens.

I also like the fact that you can walk to it from the Dolphin/Boardwalk area

We did play the Fairways on our last trip and it's extremely challenging...so I would not recommend it.

Scott

Trip Report: Drinking, Dining and Running around WDW - Oct 2011

Upcoming Races
11/24/11 - Atlanta Half Marathon
01/07/12 - WDW Half Marathon
03/18/12 - Publix Georgia Half Marathon
ScoJo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
ppony
Artist in residence

Having played both, we MUCH prefer the WInter/Summerland. None of us are any good at mini-golf, we juts like to go for the atmosphere and photo ops. LOTS of them there. We also alway go at night when it's dark. SO FUN!

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: