Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #46
Disney's Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymekae View Post
If our check-in time is 11:30 at the port, but we already checked in at the airport, is there any reason to try to be on the 9:30 bus? Boarding doesn't start until 1 PM, I read, so would we just be sitting around for 3 hrs anyway?

On that same note, what are our breakfast options? Hoping to hear about menus, prices, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I am wanting to know this as well.
Disney's Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #47
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney's Fan View Post
I am wanting to know this as well.
Boarding typically starts before 1pm, usually starts around a little after 11:30. I believe those traveling on the bus receive boarding numbers 3-5 (or higher depending their room cat).

It might leave little extra time for things like going to the bathroom, getting the kids their club bracelets, a few photo's but its not too long of a wait.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #48
Cin929
Earning My Ears

We checked in at the airport right at 8 and were given boarding number 2. Category 5D. Got on the first bus at 9:30, settled in at a very empty terminal, bathroom break, snacks for kids, bracelets, pictures with Mickey...then time to board. We were on the boat, announced and headed to have lunch by 12:05, I still have a record of the text messages I was sending our friends who were still in the terminal where I told them we were on board I was surprised how early they were starting to call boarding numbers!

Breakfast options -- several places to eat, 2 restaurants at the Hyatt (menus posted on the Hyatt MCO website), McDonalds, Krispy Kreme at the airport, Starbucks as well...those are all accessible as you are walking down through the airport to check in at the DCL desk.

And I think someone else asked if only one person from your party can check in at the airport. The answer is no, they take a picture of each person and assign Key to the World cards at this time, so your whole party has to be there.
Cin929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #49
Tinkerbell 99 Mom
Tinkerbell's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin929 View Post
We checked in at the airport right at 8 and were given boarding number 2. Category 5D. Got on the first bus at 9:30, settled in at a very empty terminal, bathroom break, snacks for kids, bracelets, pictures with Mickey...then time to board. We were on the boat, announced and headed to have lunch by 12:05, I still have a record of the text messages I was sending our friends who were still in the terminal where I told them we were on board I was surprised how early they were starting to call boarding numbers!

Breakfast options -- several places to eat, 2 restaurants at the Hyatt (menus posted on the Hyatt MCO website), McDonalds, Krispy Kreme at the airport, Starbucks as well...those are all accessible as you are walking down through the airport to check in at the DCL desk.

And I think someone else asked if only one person from your party can check in at the airport. The answer is no, they take a picture of each person and assign Key to the World cards at this time, so your whole party has to be there.
Really appreciate this information. The "one" person per party seemed like it would not work, so I am glad that I asked.

We are cruising on the Magic the week of Thanksgiving and are soo ready to be on the boat enjoying our "Magical" week.

Thanks
Tinkerbell 99 Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #50
CruiseBoundnKY
DIS Veteran

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I have this straight.

We arrive on Saturday the 26th. - We pick up our own luggage and go check in at the Hyatt? - There will be plenty of options to eat?

Sunday morning - We go to the DME desk at 8am? - Check in, get our pics made, boarding # - Now here's my big question that I don't see answered clearly...We will have time to eat after checking in but before DME bus arrives OR we need to eat on the way to check in?

Thanks so much!!!
Pop Century March 31 - April 7, 2012 Disney Dream Nov. 27 - Dec. 2; AKV Dec. 2 - 5 Dec. 5 - 8, 2010 Pop Century Nov. 28, - Dec. 6, 2009 Pop Century October 25, 2008 Disney Magic "Halloween on the High Seas" Alternate Western Double Dip May 5-12 2007 Disney Magic "Cinco Dis Mayo" Western Cruise May 2-4 2007 Disney ASMo May 2005 7-Days Sheraton Vistana Resorts Summer 1996 5-Days Can't remember where we stayed
CruiseBoundnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #51
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Just read that no busses will be allowed to drop cruisers off at the terminal before 11:00 AM:

Check In at the Disney Cruise

Transportation companies are no longer allowed to drop guests off at Port Canaveral before 11:00 am. This means there will be no pickups at the airport or Disney hotels before 10:00 am.

Still seems like Bus from MCO Hyatt will get there early enough, tho...
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #52
pluto1979
DIS Veteran

So as a repeat cruiser, I have a question about something:
Do you get the same type of DCL KTTW card as you would at the port and do you get your lanyards from the DME - airport check-in desk? I like checking in at the port but of course this might be a whole lot easier!

Be sure to follow my blog about my life as a Disney Cast Member!
Disney Dreamer & Magic Maker
http://www.disneycm.blogspot.com
pluto1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #53
Jaybear
Earning My Ears

The Hyatt Is Fabulous

We stayed at the Hyatt before our cruise on the Magic in April 2011. Our experience was fantastic, and we booked the Hyatt for our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy in April 2012. I'm always freaked out by logistics, and hopefully this information will be helpful for other freaks like me!

1. We (me, my wife, 3 year old daughter and 13 month old son) arrived at MCO the day before our cruise. We packed a carryon overnight bag for the whole gang, and we placed the cruise line luggage tags on our checked in luggage. We did this because we did not want to see our checked in luggage until we arrived at Port Canaveral, and I had called Disney twice before we arrived to confirm that this was a reasonable plan.

2. After arriving at MCO, we checked in at the Hyatt. The location is ridiculous -- you walk out of the secured area, and the elevator bank for the Hyatt is right in front of you. The security exit is literally in the atrium for the hotel's rooms. I swear half the people spending the night were there for a Disney Cruise. The Hyatt has the precruise process down to a science. There was even a big stand up sign in the lobby reminding us to tell the front desk whether we were Disney Cruise passengers. The front desk gave us the flyer that others have posted.

3. We reserved a Junior Suite. This was a great room -- it had a living area which was a bit separated (not by a door) from the king bed. It was a great space for the kids to blow off some steam and then pass out in the crib and rollaway. If you have little kids, I highly recommend the Junior Suite. It was not outrageously priced, either, and if you book the correct rate from Hyatt's web site, your rate might include buffet breakfast for 2 for an additional $10 over the regular rate. At least, that's what our experience has been.

3. Despite our plans to not see our checked in baggage until Port Canaveral, Disney and the Hyatt intervened and had our checked in baggage delivered to the room. Apparently, lots of people who travel the day before their cruises attach their cruise bag tags to their luggage, but intend to have their luggage that evening at the hotel. I guess they thought we were "those people," and they delivered the bags to us in our room, anyway. No big deal. We won't try to do this again next time. Regardless, I'm impressed that Disney (who had no idea that we were staying at the Hyatt, by the way) pulled this off.

4. The MCO airport is pretty dang nice. The shopping is actually pretty good, and we picked up some Disney themed croc shoes for the kiddos, and my wife picked up some stuff at L'Occitane. The kids really enjoyed the large Disney and Universal stores, too.

5. Back to the luggage. After our bags returned to our room and having told the front desk that we were Disney cruisers, they told us to have our bags inside our front door by 8:30 AM on cruise day. We stacked the bags by the front door, went to the Hyatt breakfast buffet (which was pretty good), and our bags were gone when we returned. Awesome.

6. We strolled around the airport a bit more, and at about 10:00, we got in line at the Disney Cruise check in desk. After a 15 minute wait and 10 minutes with the Disney Cruise rep, we had our pictures taken and were given our KTTW cards. Excellent.

7. We checked out of the Hyatt around 11, and we went back downstairs to catch the Magical Express to Port Canaveral. After the fairly quick trip to the port, we walked into the cruise terminal (the lines looked awful compared to the MCO airport) and straight to the gangway where we walked right on to the boat. We spent zero time in the cruise port terminal other than walking through it.

8. A lot of people are obsessed with checking in for their cruise as early as possible and arriving at Port Canaveral as early as possible. I do not understand this. Following our leisurely pace, we still arrived on the boat around 12:30, and our stateroom wasn't ready. Parrot Cay was open and you could stroll around limited places on the boat, but that was about it, and everyone is carrying their carryon luggage with them, so everything is a bit tight. Next year, we are going to be even more leisurely.

Again, the Hyatt is the way to go. It was extremely easy, minimized travel stress, and all of us were in a relaxed mood arriving at Port Canaveral. For next year's cruise, we booked flights earlier in the day, and we are going to hang out at the Hyatt's pool the day before.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jaybear; 11-11-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: I forgot something!
Jaybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #54
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for that info, Jaybear.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #55
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Cruise View Post
Where in the airport were you able to buy booze? We have never been able to find a place to buy wine or beer to take on board with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneytwinsmom View Post
I would love to know where to buy booze in the airport also. One more thing, I would like to know if you have to call ahead to let the Hyatt know you are on the DCL.
For those of you who want to carry on your alcohol, I used ABC. I placed an online order and had it delivered directly to the hotel. When I returned from dinner the box was in my room. abcfws.com They have everything you can imagaine. Hyatt, ABC and Disney and perfect trifecta

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #56
Disney's Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybear View Post
We stayed at the Hyatt before our cruise on the Magic in April 2011. Our experience was fantastic, and we booked the Hyatt for our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy in April 2012. I'm always freaked out by logistics, and hopefully this information will be helpful for other freaks like me!
Thanks so much! You provided this logistics freak exactly the kind of information I wanted.
Disney's Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #57
mare73
Earning My Ears

We just returned from our cruise yesterday and used Hyatt MCO the night before the cruise.

Regarding Jaybear's comment about expecting checked luggage to get picked up by DCL (or maybe he meant Hyatt) after landing at MCO and not expecting to see it again until it was delivered to the stateroom - I wasn't aware of that option. We understood the process to be that we pick up our luggage after landing at MCO and walk it up to the Hyatt.

So once we checked in, I told the Hyatt rep that we were cruising with DCL and she gave us the form letter that's been scanned in the earlier post. She told us to have our luggage inside our room, near the door, with DCL luggage tags on by 8:30am.

I'd read on these boards that the Magical Express desk sometimes opens as early as 8am. With this being our first ever cruise, I was anxious to start as early as possible.

We left our room at just about 8am with luggage tagged and by the door. We didn't plan on coming back. We checked out and headed to the ME desk where, sure enough, they were already checking folks in. It took about 10 minutes or so to get checked in, but it was nice to know we were ready to board and wouldn't have to do anything at the port terminal.

(they also set us up for the onboard airline check-in for our return flight...one less thing to worry about doing on the ship)

We were told it would be about 9:15 - 9:45 that the first bus would load. We went back up to the food court in the airport and had breakfast at McDonald's. We were back down in the ME area by 9:00 and waited for them to call those of us that had been assigned to the "Daisy" bus. When they did call us, we lined up, were given boarding pass #2 and loaded onto the bus.

We don't have kids so we didn't need to sign up for any youth activities. We simply waited to board the ship.

My husband and I agreed that the process was so fantastic, we'll definitely do it if we cruise DCL again. The room was large, beautiful and comfortable. We had a room with a verandah that faced the inside airport atrium. The only complaint would be the lack of water pressure in the shower...yikes!
mare73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #58
mysteryguest
Dreaming of vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
We arrive on Saturday the 26th. - We pick up our own luggage and go check in at the Hyatt?
Yes. Pick up luggage at the baggage claim, haul it back upstairs to the Hyatt. Tell the Hyatt front desk you are cruising with Disney and they will make sure your luggage makes it to your stateroom on the ship.

Quote:
There will be plenty of options to eat?
Chilis, Sbarros, McD's, Chinese, Starbucks, Quiznos, Krispy Kreme, etc.

Quote:
Sunday morning - We go to the DME desk at 8am?
If you want to be on the ship as early as possible, yes.

Quote:
Check in, get our pics made, boarding # - Now here's my big question that I don't see answered clearly...We will have time to eat after checking in but before DME bus arrives OR we need to eat on the way to check in?
I would eat breakfast beforehand or pick up a breakfast sandwich prior to 8am and bring it down with you while you wait for the desk to open. We sat down and ate prior to heading downstairs to wait. Worked out perfect. Our group was in boarding group 2 and on board before most. Also had time to check on upgrades before anyone at the terminal since we were some of the first people there.
October 2011-Disney Magic 7 night Eastern Caribbean
March 2012-Disney Dream 5 night Bahama+4 night Disney World
May 2013-RCCL Freedom of the Seas 7 night Eastern Caribbean
November 2013-Disney Magic 5 night Western Caribbean

Booked cruises
October 2014-Disney Magic 7 night Southern Caribbean
mysteryguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #59
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

DCL will NOT pick up your luggage (if a Disney phone rep told you otherwise unfortunately they were mistaken) from the baggage carousel and hold it if you come in the day before a cruise....this is also not a good idea for the guest, especially if you come in on a Saturday for a Sunday cruise (when one of the ships are in port on that Saturday). DCL may mistake your bags for a Saturday ship and not the Sunday one.....your bags will have a nice cruise without you!

Do not put your tags on your luggage unless you are flying in the same day......put your luggage tags on the bags before you leave them for DCL to pick up at the Hyatt.

Jaybear seemed to have gotten incorrect info from DCL because DCL does not handle your luggage if you come in the night before and stay at the Hyatt. You are supposed to claim it and then leave it your room for pick up the next morning. This has always been the process unless it has changed recently.

We are staying at the Hyatt tomorrow night and going to check in for the cruise at the ME desk on Sunday morning.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #60
Bytor01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I have this straight.

We arrive on Saturday the 26th. - We pick up our own luggage and go check in at the Hyatt? - There will be plenty of options to eat?

Sunday morning - We go to the DME desk at 8am? - Check in, get our pics made, boarding # - Now here's my big question that I don't see answered clearly...We will have time to eat after checking in but before DME bus arrives OR we need to eat on the way to check in?

Thanks so much!!!
After you check in you will have ample time to eat breakfast. We have eaten in the Hyatt's restaurant where they have a regular breakfast menu and a buffet, pay one price, menu. We had more than enough time and that was with catching a bus around 9-9:30am. Now that the first bus may not leave to 10am with the port not opening up until 11am you will have more time. Of course, if you want to get a quicker bite to eat you can always head to the food court MCO has.
Bytor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: