Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #2371
madcat
Mouseketeer

Hello! Just back (well June 10th) from a fantastic but rainy 6 night stay at CSR. We booked using the military discount, and while I thought that the resort was pretty and my sons absolutely loved the dig site, I don't know about my thoughts on the resort as a whole. When we first arrived we checked in and were given the ranchos section (I believe building 7 as well). I had read reviews before that these were not the best buildings or sections and so I asked the person doing the check-in if they had anything closer (not asking for an upgrade but just something a little closer) I knew that my parents were coming into town a few days later and I knew that they would not be happy with such a long walk to everything (my dad loves POFQ just for the quaintness of the resort). He told me that they were completely sold out and so I took the room we were given and went to see what the ranchos were like. One thing I will say is that the rooms are really dark with just the smaller over head light on when you walk in. When we got in the room it smelled moldy or musty? I didn't say anything about it because I did not want to influence anyone else’s thoughts on the room. My husband and my son both pointed out how dark the room was and the smell. I told them that we could try to change resorts since they had not other rooms available. I know that this would be tricky though since we used the military discount. We went back down to El Centro and asked to see what resorts were available, there were no other moderates that we could go to and AKL had something but it was way more out of my price range (which is strange because we had originally booked AKL). I asked if the huge difference in price was with the discount and she told me, "yes". I asked her what kind of view it was and she stated, "standard". It just didn't seem right to me, but after almost 5 1/2 hours of driving I was too tired to argue the point about it. My husband on the other hand was not, and what he was told was, "prices change all the time". Of course I did not have my original "AKL" paperwork with me to compare the prices that she was giving me and so I told him just to not worry with it. The cast member that was helping us then asked if we did not like the resort or just did not like our room? I told her about the room's smell and that that was my main concern, but that I also did not care for the location. She asked me if we would be willing to stay if she found us a better room, and my husband then informed her that our original cast member stated that they were "sold out" for the night. She smiled and stated that she was sure that she could find us something. She asked me if the cabanas were good and I told her that I was fine with them and the location. We ended up in cabanas building, room 9221. The room was still dark, but I am guessing that they all are but smelled much better and was also in a location pretty much in between El Centro and the Dig Site. I do not believe we were "upgraded" and that was completely fine with me, I wasn't looking for any extras just a different location. So the good with the bad:

Ranchos: I would not recommend them, Cabanas were nice, they just had a nicer look to them too on the outside. The Ranchos remind me of LaQuintas (not that there is anything wrong with those hotels, I have stayed in some that were pretty nice, but for the price your paying for CSR..maybe not so much).

Mousekeeping was another issue, during our time our mouse keeper did not replenish our soap or shampoo and so we had to go ask for more about our third day in. She cleaned the room fine but did not pay attention to detail, left the dirty towels and w/c under the sink area one day and left the bag that I had been putting recyclable cans etc in the room for several days, I was fine with this but when it began to fill up I ended up using the regular trash can liners for the recycles and I ended up tying up the bag and putting it out by the door. If towel animals are a big deal to you (not really to me but I do know that some people love getting them) we got: 0 that’s okay I know that, that is something that is a little added extra when time permits.

I am not sure if there is a specific place that you are supposed to wait for the golf carts to take you around the resort or you are just supposed to flag one down when you can. We rode on one day going back from El Centro to our room but a conventioneer is the one that actually got the drivers attention. I didn't see anyone else riding on them for the most part but I did see them driving around a lot.

We used bus stop number 4 it was pretty close to the room and while there were days that we ended up waiting close to 20 minutes for a bus they didn't seem too bad. On one of the days that we were going to try to get a few hours in at BB the bus showed up after about 15 mins of waiting, no big deal, the bus to BB also picks up for those going to AK. The bus had BB and AK on the outside but when we got picked up the bus began going to HS. There were two families on the bus and when the doors opened one of the females asked if this stop was AK? The bus driver said, "yes" and then the two families got off. I could hear the female saying as she got off that it did not look like AK. Well sure enough he had dropped off at HS. The families got back on the bus and the driver seemed to be pretty confused. He got on the radio and spoke to someone and then said that he had had a "senior moment" and that he would get us to BB/AK a.s.a.p. it wasn’t a big deal and the other two families seemed like they were okay with it. I was laughing because the mother in one family said she was not going to HS that day because she had an itinerary to stick to ahhh Disney planning! There were a couple of other times where it seemed like we were the last resort to get picked up when we were actually at the parks and of course people would complain when they would see 2 P.O. or AKL busses come when no one was at their stops.

I found that the over all friendliness was lacking at CSR. It just seemed like the cast members weren't happy to be there. The CM in the gift shop were really nice but the CM that worked at Cafe Rix or even at the pool side bar just seemed like they were going out of their way to help you, and we weren't asking for anything out of the way; we had no special dietary restrictions or anything like that. We were on the dining plan but had been in the past and knew to tell the CM when we were checking out that we were using it. It's funny because I struck up a conversation on the bus with a woman from Idaho and she said that she did not like going down to Cafe Rix because the people there were so unfriendly. I wish that that there were better drink choices to fill up your refill cups. There are a lot of soft drink/soda selections as well as coffee and hot chocolate. I think that a juice choice (even if it was just one kind of juice like orange or apple) would work really well, like a lot of people I do not like the Nescafe coffee and I hated drinking soda in the morning, so most of the time I either got lemonade or water that I would bring from the room. The food at Café Rix was good though my son got the bacon and egg breakfast pizza that was so large he and my other son could have shared it. I got the bacon and egg crossiant one morning and it was pretty tasty. One the day we left I went into the bakery section and got a few cinnamon rolls (trying to use up our snack credits) and they were really good as well.

All in all that was our CSR experience. It was okay, the resort itself is quiet and relaxing, save for the extra walking you will have to do. The food from the Pepper Market always smelled really good but we never ate there. In the past we have stayed at POFQ twice and Wilderness Lodge one time. I think that our Wilderness Lodge stay was filled with a little luck, even though we had a standard room it wasn’t far from the main lobby/ Roaring Forks.

All in all CSR was not terrible but it wasn’t my favorite resort either, it may be because it is a convention center type resort that the “feel” is different. I know that there were conventions going on while we were there but we rarely saw any convention type traffic. Sorry this was so long by the way!

edited to say that on our last day we discussed staying for one more day, I called down to the front desk to ask about room rates/reservations and the lady that I spoke to told me I would have to go to the front desk, they would have to call over to reservations and see if anything was available and then go from there. I told her that I thought that I was speaking to the front desk and she informed me that she was sitting in a small office with no access to anything that could help me, I then asked her if I would be able to add a day to my existing reservation since we had not checked out yet and she stated that she could not answer that for me either. In the end we ended up just checking out and coming back home, it just seemed like it was too much trouble to go through to get another nights reservation.

Last edited by madcat; 06-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #2372
madcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooki1 View Post
Just wanted to post a quick report of our stay, May11-20th. We really enjoyed CSR, and definitely will be back! Our mousekeeper Omy was wonderful. She left us cute towel animals and lots of toiletries everyday. We were in 9A, 9230,close to the quiet pool and not too far from bus stop 4. We were offered a ride from the golf cart guys 3 times! Each CM we talked to was kind and helpful. I thought the grounds were gorgeous and well kept. Gardenias were blooming and smelled wonderful, I picked a couple and kept them in water in our room, such a nice memory,smelling them when we opened the door after a long day at the parks! My DS 8 loved the panninis on the buffet at PM and is still talking about them! My DH liked the comfortable beds and the privacy door ( great so he could sleep in while I got ready!) No complaints, glad though that we waited a few hours for 9A instead of taking Ranchos 7A that was ready when we got there (8 am Sat. morning!) I think the walk to El Centro every morning for coffee from 9a was just long enough to wake me up!
we had the same mousekeeper, we must have caught her on a bad week
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #2373
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat View Post

edited to say that on our last day we discussed staying for one more day, I called down to the front desk to ask about room rates/reservations and the lady that I spoke to told me I would have to go to the front desk, they would have to call over to reservations and see if anything was available and then go from there. I told her that I thought that I was speaking to the front desk and she informed me that she was sitting in a small office with no access to anything that could help me, I then asked her if I would be able to add a day to my existing reservation since we had not checked out yet and she stated that she could not answer that for me either. In the end we ended up just checking out and coming back home, it just seemed like it was too much trouble to go through to get another nights reservation.
This is correct- when you call front desk, you are actually calling a call center. The front desk doesn't man enough CMs to answer phones AND check guests in/answer questions/check-outs, etc. if its a severe problem, you will be connected with the room operations cast member specific to that resort.
Even though the call centers help book rooms, sometimes their inventory is not the same as the resort itself. The resort may hold a block of rooms for repair but may finish early; the call center sees rooms on hold but it's up to the resort to release them. The resort also has (almost nightly) no-shows and/or day of cancellations. The call center again can't book those rooms without the resort's permission. That's why it's better to check at the front desk. That could also be why you weren't initially able to switch rooms. It's not that the first CM was lying, but he/she may not have seen a certain room become available, OR they may have moved someone else's room who had not yet arrived.

Make sense?

We like the ranchos because we're very active people who enjoy the extra exercise. I know, we're on vacation, but it's part of our lifestyle
Old 06-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #2374
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

I'm really beginning to worry about our decision to stay at CSR. It seems like the reviews lately have been more bad than good
Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #2375
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2inKC View Post
I'm really beginning to worry about our decision to stay at CSR. It seems like the reviews lately have been more bad than good
This is the exact reason why I usually respond to negative reviews with a different point of view or experience. Some people think I'm picking on them, but that's not it. I don't want people like yourself to start to panic or completely change there plans for no good reason.

The housekeepers for all the WDW resorts work for the same union. The are supplied from the same pool. Although some may stay at the same resort for a long time, some get moved around to other resorts. There are the same amount of bad housekeeping reviews for each resort. I don't really believe one to be better or worse than anywhere else. The "bad" house keeper that someone had at CSR today could be working at POR next year when they stay there.

There is also just as many reviews stating how wonderful the CM's are at CSR, as there are ones complaining they are rude. We've had two 14 night stays at CSR. Those are long stays, most only stay half that time or less. If there were big anomalies in the service I'm pretty sure we would have witnessed it. We had no real housekeeping issues worth mentioning in 28 nights at CSR. On our last trip this past Christmas the housekeeper was great and when we were leaving she thanked us for staying there with a big smile and also thanked us for the tips we had left. It was a genuine smile, not a its part of my job to smile one. The front counter staff have been exceptional to deal with. Any minor detail that needed taken care of was done imediately and they seemed happy to do it. I had no problem getting a different room than the one that was assigned last time. They had us in Casitas 5, we wanted Casitas 4. With in 2 minutes she gave me 6 rooms to choose from in Casitas 4. Fantastic service.

The Pepper Market and Cafe Rix are privately owned, not Disney owned like most resort food outlets. I will admit that "some" of the staff are less friendly then others (they don't have the same hiring standards as Disney), but I've never had any problem getting what I need from them. But other than that the staff is the same at all WDW resorts.

I really believe different people have different expectations. I also really believe some people get better percieved service than others because of how the conduct themselves. I read the same bad reviews you do and I just rarely find myself getting treated that way anywhere. My wife says its because I'm very intimidating looking and everyone is scared of me...lol. I would like to think its becasue I treat everyone with respect and ask for things in a firm, but calm, professional manor.

But don't let the reviews scare you. I can't personally guarantee your vacation will be perfect, but take the negativity with a grain of salt.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2376
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't worry. I've read bad reviews about the Poly, Beach Club and CBR lately. If you have a problem, go to the front desk and ask for the manager. Calling will not do you any good.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #2377
madcat
Mouseketeer

Fall08- yes that makes sense thank you. We are active people as well as a matter of fact we are both runners and one thing about CSR that i liked was the jogging trails/maps that we coukd use if we got up and wanted yo use them. The ranchos just were not for us, that is not to say that thwy are not perfect for others though.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #2378
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I wouldn't worry. I've read bad reviews about the Poly, Beach Club and CBR lately. If you have a problem, go to the front desk and ask for the manager. Calling will not do you any good.
momto2inKC, like KatMark suggested, if you have a problem address it immediately. Managers are very visible in registration and the Pepper Market.

When I took my resort stay survey, it asked me several times to rate things and explain why I gave that rating. For one of our past stays we did have a problem and I mentioned it on the survey. The next screen asked me if I notified someone about the problem. I had.

It was that the key to the safe was not to be found when we checked in. I notified housekeeping by phone, but also mentioned something to the cm from housekeeping who delivered the microwave. He offered to go get his manager. His manager showed up way before she got the message from the operator. They took care of the safe fairly quickly considering the process it took to get a new lock put in and a new key.

We've stayed at CSR 4 times in the year and a half, that was the only problem we encountered.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #2379
madcat
Mouseketeer

Mom2two.. I agree go to CSR and have a great time! I am sure that every resort has its ups and downs the CM'S at the customer service concierge were fine they did what they could to help us. Just remember (which I did not know) that cafe rix/pepper mkt are not Disney owned. It's not that i wouldn't recommend CSR it's just that it was different than the other resorts I had experienced and I have experienced positives and negatives at all of them . I will say this the resort at night and early in the morning was peaceful and quiet. You will be at Disney World and it will be magical and fabulous!!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #2380
Julie521
DIS Veteran

Woo hoo!!!

I am back, AND MARRIED!!!! We had an absolutely amazing, perfect day. Cannot wait to take our disneymoon in september. wish it was here now, but cannot wait to celebrate again in a couple months!!!

Last edited by Julie521; 06-14-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: picture
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #2381
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Beautiful...simply beautiful.

Congratulations!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #2382
Julie521
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Beautiful...simply beautiful.

Congratulations!
Thank you SOO much I cannot stop smiling!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #2383
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Congratulations, Julie!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #2384
Disney Sheri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The "carts" used to take people from one end of the resort to the other. However, they did away with that a few years ago and it is basically only offered to convention guests. However, on occasion, you will get a nice CM who will stop and ask if you want a ride....but it is very rare (don't know if it is an insurance thing or what?).
We were there last week and it was offered to everyone. Not sure if it was because of the all the rain but they had signs out where they were picking up people. They were very nice and gave us a ride a few times.

Sheri
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #2385
Disney Sheri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilivetogo View Post
Just curious - how did you "use" the golf carts? Did you call to ask them to get you? I saw them quite frequently driving around, but never really knew exactly "who" they were toting around.
There was a sgin outside of Ranchos 6B I believe. They asked me if I wanted a ride when I was walking in the rain to get DH some med and I took them up on it. She said just wait by the sign and they come around every few minutes. They had stops at El Centro and Casista's as well.

Sheri
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: