Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #2146
saskdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I don't have a problem myself with walking (I'm a runner) but my daughter has exercise-induced asthma. I'm concerned about her walking too far in the humidity of late days.
You'll find the walking distances at CSR have been greatly exaggerated by most people. Really the only places that are a little farther from the food court than I would like are Ranchos 7A, 6A, and 6B. The rest of the resort I find is a 5 minute walk or less. Even Ranchos 7B is a great location. Casitas 4 is our favorite. I would probably want Ranchos 7B or any of the Cabanas if we had smaller kids who wanted to use the main pool frequently.
saskdw is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #2147
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings
 
Kathy Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,511

Junior Suite and Connecting Rooms Questions

Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking on this thread long enough to have finally read all the way through. I had kept a list of questions to ask and was able to find almost every answer over the few weeks that it took me to read. Thanks so much to KatMark for establishing this wonderful thread and to StitchandPooh’sMom for taking over and keeping it running so smoothly. Also thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge, reviews of both the positives and negatives along with keeping the excitement building. I feel like I have a general idea of the size of CSR (measured differently by different folks depending on their other WDW resort stays), the food options and the pools, including that fabulous Dig Site.
We are looking at CSR for a possible last week of August 2013 trip with 3 grandchildren who would be 15 (F), 12 (f) and 8 (m) at travel time. Our preference would be connecting rooms, Cabanas, close to Dig Site. When it is 2 adults traveling with 3 children would it be safe to assume that connecting rooms request would be honored 98-100% of the time? I wouldn’t mind paying the extra cost for one of the Jr. Suites to assure this but only 2 of those are located in the Cabanas, the other 30 or so all being in the Casitas. Does anyone know if the 2 in the Cabanas are at least the ones with queen beds rather than a king? Or does anyone know how many queen Jr. Suites might be in Casitas 5?
As you can see from my signature I’ve been spoiled by deluxe resorts in previous stays (fortunately, never at rack rate) but that is above our budget at this stage in life. Thanks for any information anyone can share regarding the Jr. Suites or the connecting rooms request.
__________________
Polynesian Apr. 1975 & May 1980 w/DH, DD, & DS The Disney Inn (Originally The Golf Resort; now Shades of Green) Christmas 1985 w/DH, DD & DS
Polynesian May 2009 w/DH, DGD (10) & DGD (7) BWI Dec 2009 w/DH; AKL Dec 2010 w/DH; AKL Feb. 2012 w/DH; POR w/DH Feb. 2013
WL Nov 2013 w/DH & DGS (8) POFQ Feb 2014 w/DH
Kathy Z is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #2148
flortlebap
Disneyiac!
 
flortlebap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking on this thread long enough to have finally read all the way through. I had kept a list of questions to ask and was able to find almost every answer over the few weeks that it took me to read. Thanks so much to KatMark for establishing this wonderful thread and to StitchandPooh’sMom for taking over and keeping it running so smoothly. Also thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge, reviews of both the positives and negatives along with keeping the excitement building. I feel like I have a general idea of the size of CSR (measured differently by different folks depending on their other WDW resort stays), the food options and the pools, including that fabulous Dig Site.
We are looking at CSR for a possible last week of August 2013 trip with 3 grandchildren who would be 15 (F), 12 (f) and 8 (m) at travel time. Our preference would be connecting rooms, Cabanas, close to Dig Site. When it is 2 adults traveling with 3 children would it be safe to assume that connecting rooms request would be honored 98-100% of the time? I wouldn’t mind paying the extra cost for one of the Jr. Suites to assure this but only 2 of those are located in the Cabanas, the other 30 or so all being in the Casitas. Does anyone know if the 2 in the Cabanas are at least the ones with queen beds rather than a king? Or does anyone know how many queen Jr. Suites might be in Casitas 5?
As you can see from my signature I’ve been spoiled by deluxe resorts in previous stays (fortunately, never at rack rate) but that is above our budget at this stage in life. Thanks for any information anyone can share regarding the Jr. Suites or the connecting rooms request.
Hello

I rang CSR today and was told that most of their rooms aren't inter connecting! And also that they can't guarantee to honour the request.

Recently, of three trips where I requested interconnecting rooms, it was honoured on....... Zero occasions. They've always been next to each other, though!

Really hoping this time they'll honour our request or we could be in trouble.
__________________
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #2149
thr33boys
Mouseketeer
 
thr33boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by flortlebap View Post
Hello

I rang CSR today and was told that most of their rooms aren't inter connecting! And also that they can't guarantee to honour the request.

Recently, of three trips where I requested interconnecting rooms, it was honoured on....... Zero occasions. They've always been next to each other, though!

Really hoping this time they'll honour our request or we could be in trouble.
On those three previous occasions, was it during peak times? We're going in mid-Nov. and I'm considering changing from the Cabins to 2 connecting rooms at either CSR or POR. Not sure, I'd switch if I can't get connecting.
thr33boys is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #2150
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I don't have a problem myself with walking (I'm a runner) but my daughter has exercise-induced asthma. I'm concerned about her walking too far in the humidity of late days.
My DD has exercise-induced asthma as well, although she pretty much has to be running in cold or humidity to get symptoms. If your DD can handle walking in the parks, she will be fine at CSR.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking on this thread long enough to have finally read all the way through. I had kept a list of questions to ask and was able to find almost every answer over the few weeks that it took me to read. Thanks so much to KatMark for establishing this wonderful thread and to StitchandPooh’sMom for taking over and keeping it running so smoothly. Also thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge, reviews of both the positives and negatives along with keeping the excitement building. I feel like I have a general idea of the size of CSR (measured differently by different folks depending on their other WDW resort stays), the food options and the pools, including that fabulous Dig Site.
We are looking at CSR for a possible last week of August 2013 trip with 3 grandchildren who would be 15 (F), 12 (f) and 8 (m) at travel time. Our preference would be connecting rooms, Cabanas, close to Dig Site. When it is 2 adults traveling with 3 children would it be safe to assume that connecting rooms request would be honored 98-100% of the time? I wouldn’t mind paying the extra cost for one of the Jr. Suites to assure this but only 2 of those are located in the Cabanas, the other 30 or so all being in the Casitas. Does anyone know if the 2 in the Cabanas are at least the ones with queen beds rather than a king? Or does anyone know how many queen Jr. Suites might be in Casitas 5?
As you can see from my signature I’ve been spoiled by deluxe resorts in previous stays (fortunately, never at rack rate) but that is above our budget at this stage in life. Thanks for any information anyone can share regarding the Jr. Suites or the connecting rooms request.
I know at least one of the junior suites in the cabanas has queen beds - I requested it for our trip next month before switching to Boardwalk. Most of the junior suites are in casitas 1 and 3. There is one in cabana 8B and one in cabana 9B. Because you have five people, you will definitely be placed in a queen suite if you book the junior suite. You can request cabanas when you make your reservation.

You will hear conflicting reports about connecting rooms. Disney will try to honor the request if they can, but if they aren't available, they can't give them to you. We have requested connecting rooms twice at Beach Club - one time we got them, and one time we didn't. It just depends which rooms are available on the day you check in.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2151
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings
 
Kathy Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,511

Thanks for the replies. Now, I'm really hoping that we can get by with just taking the grandson. His sisters had their turn in 2009 when he was too young. I really don't want to be in Casitas 1 or 3 and if two rooms were not connecting my husband and I would have to be in separate rooms.
__________________
Polynesian Apr. 1975 & May 1980 w/DH, DD, & DS The Disney Inn (Originally The Golf Resort; now Shades of Green) Christmas 1985 w/DH, DD & DS
Polynesian May 2009 w/DH, DGD (10) & DGD (7) BWI Dec 2009 w/DH; AKL Dec 2010 w/DH; AKL Feb. 2012 w/DH; POR w/DH Feb. 2013
WL Nov 2013 w/DH & DGS (8) POFQ Feb 2014 w/DH
Kathy Z is offline  
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #2152
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Thanks for the replies. Now, I'm really hoping that we can get by with just taking the grandson. His sisters had their turn in 2009 when he was too young. I really don't want to be in Casitas 1 or 3 and if two rooms were not connecting my husband and I would have to be in separate rooms.
Do you need/want two bathrooms, or just room for five people? When we booked the junior suite, it was the same price as a standard room at Poly, which sleeps five with two queens and a daybed. The garden wing at Contemporary would probably be less, and those rooms are large.

The last week of August is typically one of the times when free dining is offered, so you might be able to take advantage of that (paying rack rate), or there might be a room discount. The junior suites at CSR generally do not have discounts associated with them, and free dining usually doesn't apply.

For comparison (August 2012 rack rates from Mousesavers.com):

Two standard rooms at CSR - $169/184 x 2 = $338 (weekday)/$368 weekend
Junior Suite at CSR - $370/400 - weekday/weekend
Standard room at Poly (sleeps five) - $405/435 (weekday/weekend)
Garden Wing at Contemporary - $315/340 (weekday/weekend)
Yacht Club- $335/360 (weekday/weekend)
Art of Animation Family Suite - $249/279 weekday/weekend (would give two bathrooms)
Ft. Wilderness Cabins - $285/300 (weekday/weekend)
OKW 1 BR villa (one bathroom, but sleeps five and has a full kitchen) - $435
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #2153
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong
 
PolyAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: WhoDat Nation!
Posts: 2,957

Checked in yesterday and love it here! This is our 3rd moderate and by far our favorite. In Cabanas and love this location! Thanks for all the info!
__________________
PolyAddict is online now  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #2154
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Checked in yesterday and love it here! This is our 3rd moderate and by far our favorite. In Cabanas and love this location! Thanks for all the info!
Have a great time!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2155
saskdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Checked in yesterday and love it here! This is our 3rd moderate and by far our favorite. In Cabanas and love this location! Thanks for all the info!
saskdw is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #2156
flortlebap
Disneyiac!
 
flortlebap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr33boys View Post
On those three previous occasions, was it during peak times? We're going in mid-Nov. and I'm considering changing from the Cabins to 2 connecting rooms at either CSR or POR. Not sure, I'd switch if I can't get connecting.
Nope, I've never been during peak times. I figure maybe the request just wasn't noted

I never said anything at the hotel, as it wasn't that important. This time is though due to having 4 kids!
__________________
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #2157
flortlebap
Disneyiac!
 
flortlebap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Checked in yesterday and love it here! This is our 3rd moderate and by far our favorite. In Cabanas and love this location! Thanks for all the info!
Glad to hear it! This is my last moderate and I'll have done them all

We requested Cabanas too
__________________
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #2158
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings
 
Kathy Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,511

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
Do you need/want two bathrooms, or just room for five people? When we booked the junior suite, it was the same price as a standard room at Poly, which sleeps five with two queens and a daybed. The garden wing at Contemporary would probably be less, and those rooms are large.

The last week of August is typically one of the times when free dining is offered, so you might be able to take advantage of that (paying rack rate), or there might be a room discount. The junior suites at CSR generally do not have discounts associated with them, and free dining usually doesn't apply.

For comparison (August 2012 rack rates from Mousesavers.com):

Two standard rooms at CSR - $169/184 x 2 = $338 (weekday)/$368 weekend
Junior Suite at CSR - $370/400 - weekday/weekend
Standard room at Poly (sleeps five) - $405/435 (weekday/weekend)
Garden Wing at Contemporary - $315/340 (weekday/weekend)
Yacht Club- $335/360 (weekday/weekend)
Art of Animation Family Suite - $249/279 weekday/weekend (would give two bathrooms)
Ft. Wilderness Cabins - $285/300 (weekday/weekend)
OKW 1 BR villa (one bathroom, but sleeps five and has a full kitchen) - $435
Thanks for consolidating all of those price comparisons for me. I have been checking the Disney site and pulling all of those up individually. The second bathroom is a pretty high priority with 4 of the 5 of us taking morning showers. Plus the Poly may be undergoing some major renovations in 2013 and I was advised it may be best to steer clear of there. I'm not yet familiar with the garden wing of the Contemporary but I've heard it can be very spread out and could be a l-o-n-g walk to the pool. Fort Wilderness Cabins only give DH & I a double bed and we are used to a king but can be happy with a queen. It's now looking like an Art of Animation suite would be the best if all 5 of us go (even if the girls think the are too old for it.) If we just take the 8 year old boy I'm heavily favoring WL.
__________________
Polynesian Apr. 1975 & May 1980 w/DH, DD, & DS The Disney Inn (Originally The Golf Resort; now Shades of Green) Christmas 1985 w/DH, DD & DS
Polynesian May 2009 w/DH, DGD (10) & DGD (7) BWI Dec 2009 w/DH; AKL Dec 2010 w/DH; AKL Feb. 2012 w/DH; POR w/DH Feb. 2013
WL Nov 2013 w/DH & DGS (8) POFQ Feb 2014 w/DH
Kathy Z is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2159
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Checked in yesterday and love it here! This is our 3rd moderate and by far our favorite. In Cabanas and love this location! Thanks for all the info!
Glad to hear you are loving CSR.
__________________
KatMark is online now  
Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #2160
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Thanks for consolidating all of those price comparisons for me. I have been checking the Disney site and pulling all of those up individually. The second bathroom is a pretty high priority with 4 of the 5 of us taking morning showers. Plus the Poly may be undergoing some major renovations in 2013 and I was advised it may be best to steer clear of there. I'm not yet familiar with the garden wing of the Contemporary but I've heard it can be very spread out and could be a l-o-n-g walk to the pool. Fort Wilderness Cabins only give DH & I a double bed and we are used to a king but can be happy with a queen. It's now looking like an Art of Animation suite would be the best if all 5 of us go (even if the girls think the are too old for it.) If we just take the 8 year old boy I'm heavily favoring WL.
A couple of other options that give you two bathrooms and sleep five are one bedrooms at Bay Lake Tower or AKL-Kidani, but rack rate is over $500 per night. We will have five on our trip next month and wanted two bathrooms - we ended up renting points for a 2BR at BWV for less than the junior suite at CSR. But you have much less flexibility renting points than booking through Disney.

The All Star Family Suites also give you two bathrooms and would be a little less than Art of Animation, but AoA looks like it will have the better pool.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: