Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #2056
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

I'm glad I didn't tell DD about the Tink soap! We are going to have to change resorts and dates. I found and AMAZING airfare on Spirit. Round trip DFW to Orlando, $80 per person AFTER taxes and fees. Southwest's lowest is $77 before taxes and fees, so I really scored!

However, all the free dining from CSR is gone for the new dates. I even tried doing a one night value on either end and it didn't work. Wah. I was really excited about a new resort, and a moderate at that. We hadn't stayed at one before!

The only moderates they had available had double beds and that's one of the reasons we were going to CSR...

Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #2057
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbcdb View Post
I'm glad I didn't tell DD about the Tink soap! We are going to have to change resorts and dates. I found and AMAZING airfare on Spirit. Round trip DFW to Orlando, $80 per person AFTER taxes and fees. Southwest's lowest is $77 before taxes and fees, so I really scored!

However, all the free dining from CSR is gone for the new dates. I even tried doing a one night value on either end and it didn't work. Wah. I was really excited about a new resort, and a moderate at that. We hadn't stayed at one before!

The only moderates they had available had double beds and that's one of the reasons we were going to CSR...
You might want to check the baggage fees. Isn't Spirit now charging a huge fee for carry-ons?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #2058
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
You might want to check the baggage fees. Isn't Spirit now charging a huge fee for carry-ons?
The rumor is that Spirit is going to start charging like $100.00 for a carry on, but at this time it is still $20.00 for $9.00 Spirit Club members and $30.00 for nonmembers. I just flew Spirit for the first time from DFW to MCO May 5th and May 12th. I did carry on only and paid $148.00 r/t for my ticket then $60.00 r/t for my carry on. This was without joining their $9.00 Fare Club. I could have saved $20.00 on my carry ons if I had joined it. At the last minute though I did decide to pay the $50.00 each way to upgrade to their 'Big Front Seats' so round up paying another $100.00, but after looking at the other seats, probably would have been just as happy in a regular seat for the 2 1/2 hour flight. The 'Big Front Seats' are the same size as any other first class seat and do recline, whereas the coach seats might be just a tad smaller than other coach seats and do not recline. They didn't look that bad though. I know Spirit gets a bad rep, but if you go in knowing what the fees are, you can still get some really good deals. Even paying for those 'Big Front Seats' and for my carry on, I still came out cheaper than I would have if I had flown Coach with any other airline flying out of Dallas that time. I kept watching even after I bought my ticket and the other airlines never went down enough to match it. I bought air fare through Spirit last January 14th for both my May and my upcoming Sept WDW trips and paid around $148.00 (plus baggage fees of course). Other airlines flying out of either DFW or Dallas Lovefield were running over $400.00 at that time and other than Southwest also charged for checked bags ($20.00-$25.00 each way). I plan on using carry on only for my Sept trip too and have already paid for that carry on. With all the fees, my Sept 1st-8th trip is costing me $183.58 (will be $283.58 if I decide to upgrade to those 'Big Front Seats' again). That's still less than flying Coach on the other airlines out of Dallas right now. For some reason Spirit charges a little less for a checked bag than they do for carry ons, but I prefer to have my stuff with me, so will pay the extra couple of bucks to do carry on. Plus if you upgrade to those 'Big Front Seats' or if you pay for a carry on, you are automatically guaranteed Boarding Zone 1. Personal items are free of course. They do not give free snacks or beverages, but big deal, I can carry my own on for those prices.

One thing that really irritated me though is I originally booked my May trip to leave fairly early and come back late. About a month after I booked, I got an email saying my itinerary had been changed. When I went online to check I found they had moved my departing flight back from a morning flight to an afternoon flight. Instead of getting into Orlando around lunch time, I didn't get in until 6:30pm and then my returning flight got moved up over an hour, so I had to leave WDW earlier. When I called to tell them the new time didn't work for me, I was basically told that I could cancel the flight, but they were keeping my money and they had no other flights out those days since they only fly to and from MCO once a day.

Another thing that sort of irritated me, is they never asked if you paid for a carry on. Quite a few people getting on later had carry ons. If they had paid for those carry ons they would have been in Boarding zone 1. They still put their carry ons up in the overheads. I was under the impression that Spirit charged for anything that went in the overheads, but apparently if there is room later in the boarding process they allow free carry ons? The man sitting beside of me mentioned it as the last of the passengers were getting on carrying carry ons and placing them in the overheads. He was really irritated that we had paid the 60.00 and they hadn't. In fact, he mentioned it to the FA and she just shrugged and said as long as there was room and everybody had overhead space, they usually didn't press the issue. There was lots of overhead space left, so nothing was said to the ones who brought carry ons on without paying.

Last edited by aubriee; 05-19-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #2059
kandb
DIS Veteran

Anyone try Maya Grill lately? We have a first night ressie there but could go to another restaurant if we wanted to. Our flight arrives at 4:30 pm. so I made a 6:15 ressie. Does that seem good?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #2060
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Sorry CSR didn't work out this trip! FYI, the only moderate still with double beds is CBR. POFQ has switched to queens, and POR is in the middle of a refurb and is getting queens. I'm not sure how close they are to being done at POR, but all rooms (except king rooms ) will have queens at the end of the refurb.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #2061
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Thanks! They are upping their fees in November from what I read. With the $9 fare club, and the discounted checked bags, I will come out even with if I had gotten the $77 fare from SW. (since they don't charge for bags) I know SW will put them on sale, but I felt like I should get it while I could and I had the money, just to be safe.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #2062
dtstampz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Yes, I got back late Saturday night. Sure wasn't ready to come home either. lol When we checked in May 5th, we had been placed on the second floor in Ranchos 6A and told there was not a room currently available anywhere in my beloved Cabanas. At least not until the next day.:banana : We spent one night in Ranchos 6A (the furtherest building from anything). Then went over the next morning and was assigned a perfect room in Cabanas 8B (the only Cabanas building I have never been in). I loved the new location. The first night we were in a second floor room in Ranchos 6A facing a courtyard area (right where the AED sign is if you look at the map). Our new Cabanas room was on the very end of Cabanas 8B facing the walkway between Cabanas 8B and 9A. Our window looked straight out at the Cabanas laundry, so we were just steps from the Cabanas quiet pool. We loved it. For some reason I didn't even realize there were rooms on the very ends of those buildings. I've always been on either the lake side or the parking lot side (in other words the long side of the buildings, not on a short end).

We had a great trip (still don't care for the Ranchos though). I ate lunch at the Pepper Market buffet my last day and also ate dinner there twice. It was very good each time. Housekeeping was fine and the resort was very quiet. No problems at all. I can now say I have stayed in all three sections at CSR and also in all four of the Cabana buildings
So nice that you got your wish. We were on the second floor of 9A over looking the quiet pool. Last Sept. my friend & her granddaughter and & I
stayed in the very corner room on the ground floor of 8B. Our front window faced the lagoon, and the side window looked at the laundry building. My
9 year old friend LOVED being just across the sidewalk from the quiet pool.
I loved that location, but 9A was nice, too. DH and I are headed back for
his convention on the 28th. Maybe I'll be in the Casitas for the first time!
Sept. 2013 CSR **May 2014 CSR**

No new trip planned...so sad!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #2063
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Just got back yesterday from a great 10 day stay as CSR!

Was given a upgraded water room view in Cabanas 8B. It was nice to see the lake/hammocks looking out the window, super beautiful at night with the lights reflecting off the water. The room itself was good, it could have used a new coat of paint, but seeing at how much the rooms are used, that gets a pass.

Housekeeping was great. Got a few towel animals/flowers a few days. The housekeeper we had was super nice. Left a note one day for extra, large bath towels and she left us a whole set of everything. Which wasn't needed but was nice.

I do like Pepper Market as a buffet for breakfast, everything was hot, or at least warm. Liked that they had the eggs/omelets your way station. The ham was a nice touch for breakfast. Great way for a quick service meal (even though we did Deluxe Dining), never did lunch. Did dinner one night, that was still the same as before. Not amazing, but good.

Sadly, this will more than likely be my last stay at CSR. On one of our trips to DTD my wife and I did the DVC tour and are hooked and going to be buying in. CSR will always be special to me.
AKV DVC Owner
Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #2064
MaddieC
Earning My Ears

How late is breakfast served until? We want to stop by the pepper market on one of the days that we aren't going to the parks but i want to let the kiddies sleep in.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #2065
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieC View Post
How late is breakfast served until? We want to stop by the pepper market on one of the days that we aren't going to the parks but i want to let the kiddies sleep in.
Breakfast buffet goes until 11am.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #2066
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsJason View Post

Sadly, this will more than likely be my last stay at CSR. On one of our trips to DTD my wife and I did the DVC tour and are hooked and going to be buying in. CSR will always be special to me.
seem this is one of the reasons we have not become DVC members, we actually LOVE the moderate resorts. and sometimes we love the values, too,(esp when we get a great deal)... we like exterior corridors... 2 steps and you are outside the room, walk a few steps this way or that, and you change your view.

when we once got 3RD Floor laggon view, casitas 3, we spent a LOT of time (with a nice cocktail), walking around the the various walkways of the casitas buildings, the catwalks, the rotundas, viewing the fountains, etc.

we Do like the deluxe resorts, but HAVING to stay at a deluxe every visit? not for us. (the points to stay at a mod or deluxe are nutz)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #2067
milleali
Mouseketeer

I did online check in today!! 10 more days before we will be celebrating my DSD's 5th Birthday and my DS's Graduation from Elem. School!!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #2068
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleali View Post
I did online check in today!! 10 more days before we will be celebrating my DSD's 5th Birthday and my DS's Graduation from Elem. School!!
I'd like to try the online check in next time. Did it prompt you for any requests? I was thinking I read somewhere that a person can check if they want ground floor, or close to a bus stop? Hope that is true. We are going to book a preferred location. Hoping for a ground floor room.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #2069
milleali
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Mom View Post
I'd like to try the online check in next time. Did it prompt you for any requests? I was thinking I read somewhere that a person can check if they want ground floor, or close to a bus stop? Hope that is true. We are going to book a preferred location. Hoping for a ground floor room.
It did prompt me for ground floor & which section I wanted...my ressie already said ground floor so I selected Cabanas! Then, I got an error that said my celebrations and request could not be saved at this time and to call Disney. So, I did just that! Got a very nice CM and told her what I was calling for and she said that my reservation already stated that I requested Cabanas and first floor. It had been noted on my ressie at an earlier time and that is probably why it would not save the section I wanted online. She even confirmed my celebrations! I have always done online check in and had great experiences....even if we do get put in Ranchos, we will still be at DISNEY!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #2070
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleali View Post
It did prompt me for ground floor & which section I wanted...my ressie already said ground floor so I selected Cabanas! Then, I got an error that said my celebrations and request could not be saved at this time and to call Disney. So, I did just that! Got a very nice CM and told her what I was calling for and she said that my reservation already stated that I requested Cabanas and first floor. It had been noted on my ressie at an earlier time and that is probably why it would not save the section I wanted online. She even confirmed my celebrations! I have always done online check in and had great experiences....even if we do get put in Ranchos, we will still be at DISNEY!!!
Thanks for the check in info. Have a great time!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: