Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Niece has peanut allergy and now we all must avoid peanuts?

Hello! I wanted to get the point of view from parents who have children with a peanut allergy. My 4 year old niece has a peanut allergy to which my husband and I have been very understanding. We carry epi pens when with her, peanut cards for the chefs, and took a CPR class. We banish peanuts from our house when she comes over and abstain from any peanut ingredients or even those made on shared equipment. I would never dream of causing her harm in any way, but I feel as though their latest request is a little crazy.

We have a big celebration this weekend in Las Vegas for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We have several dinners/lunches planned for the weekend. I made reservations at several places and without being asked, made sure they could do a peanut free dish for my niece. I even got the chef's personal cell phone number and gave it to my brother in law so he could call with questions/concerns.

My brother in law sent an email last night to everyone in the party asking all of us to abstain from any peanuts or peanut ingredients throughout the entire weekend. Honestly I think that is a little nuts (). My husband and I were planning on at least one Thai meal for lunch when the little ones were going to be at the pool, and I am pretty sure they use peanut oil. Is it even in the realm of possibility that by eating peanut oil I could harm my niece? I haven't been able to find anything about that on the American Academic of Pediatrics or WebMD information sites.

So parents of peanut allergy kids, how do you feel about this? Am I being completely insensitive? I can take it. Sometimes you just need to really hear from others, you know? Thanks in advance.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Forevryoung
DIS Veteran

My cousin has a peanut/tree nut/sesame/fish allergy. My Uncle keeps a jar of peanut butter in the house and eats it after she goes to bed- just makes sure he washes the spoon/counter down when he's done (he eats a spoonful )

My Aunt and Uncle would NEVER think of asking everyone to remove her allergies from their diet. We just know that if we eat something that she is allergic to we must diligently wash our hands/faces with soap and water before any interactions with her (she has a contact allergy to fish oils so we take the same precautions all around).

I took her to Disney over the summer and on our trip I ate a few things that she was allergic to and made sure that we did not share (or touch) the same utensils, straws or water bottles during/after the meal. We had a fantastic, uneventful trip.

I am sure that you are not harming your niece by eating your peanut oil in the setting you describe.
Forevryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Mary976
DIS Veteran

I have a peanut allergy and before we had a dishwasher, we had a "peanut free" house. Now with the dishwasher, the rule is that anything with peanut butter on it has to go right in and not be left in the sink. I don't mind if others eat peanuts as long as they aren't sitting right next to me.

At the same time, I'm an adult. I think it's VERY hard when you have such a young child and so it makes sense that her parents are being so protective. But no, I doubt you'd harm her if you eat peanuts when she's not around (and you wash your hands afterwards).

Mary
Mary976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
dntd
Mouseketeer

As long as no one feeds her and she isn't at a table with other kids who may give her a bite she should be safe. I understand peanut free is important at school but it's a big world out there, what do they normally do? I would just get her a **** that says don't feed me or a pin they ( they sell them online).
dntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Piper
DIS Veteran

I once had a student with a peanut allergy so severe that when a class clear across the school made peanut butter, he suddenly started having an anaphalactic reaction. It was in the vent system. I didn't even know they were going to make it and wouldn't have thought it would cause problems if they did. Maybe hers is that severe!?!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I have a severe peanut allergy and we don't ask our relatives to avoid peanuts when we are with them....but they do it anyway.

I would never ask anyone NOT to eat peanuts but 99% of the people I know abstain from them when I am around anyway.

Do I think it's a little crazy...probably. But I completely understand where they are coming form. Until you yourself have an anaphylactce food allergy or have a child with one, its harder to understand the kind of paranoid requests that come along with it. Heck...I'm 22 and my mom STILL makes crazy requests when we do things with families....Shes a mom, shes always going ot freak out about it.

I'm 99.99% confident that there is no harm to your niece by you guys eating Thai food when she is not around as long as you wash your hands very well because it is NOT just peanut oil...they use a lot of peanuts and peanut sauces in thai dishes as well (oh....and mouth/lips because if she kisses you and her allergy is that severe, that could cause a reaction....don't ask how I know that one). But it's up to you to decide how far you want to comply with your BILs request.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

My cousin's son is so allergic to peanuts. He has had anaphylactic reactions from it being airborn in people's breath. My cousin asks everyone coming to her house to abstain from peanuts for several hours before visiting her, of course not to have any on our hands or clothes.

My oldest son has anaphylactic reactions to eating peanuts, soybean oil, and grapes. His dream is to be a chef and we even visited a culinary school where he'd like to attend. One of the demonstrations today was fried rice. It had seseme seed oil and soy sauce in it. I ate it, and he was fine. He was also fine being in the room with a whole bunch of people in it.

I guess my point is, each person's allergy is different.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
neptuneflame
Mouseketeer

You might find this helpful and informative: http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca..._faan_2003.pdf

Parent of a DD with a peanut allergy.

May 1987, June 1998, May 2002 *engagement trip*, Dec/Jan 2003/4 *Honeymoon*, Mar 2005 (Disneyland), June 2005, Jan 2007, Mar 2008, Oct 2008, Jun 2009 (Disneyland), Mar 2011 *DD's first trip!*, Oct 2011, Jan 2013 *DS's first trip!*, Mar 2014 *DNephew's first trip!*, Oct 2014
neptuneflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneflame View Post
You might find this helpful and informative: http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca..._faan_2003.pdf

Parent of a DD with a peanut allergy.
Thank you so much for posting the link. It was helpful to my son.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
My cousin's son is so allergic to peanuts. He has had anaphylactic reactions from it being airborn in people's breath. My cousin asks everyone coming to her house to abstain from peanuts for several hours before visiting her, of course not to have any on our hands or clothes.
I am just wondering...does your cousin take her DS to shopping malls, libraries, & other public places? That must be tricky? Even doctor's offices?
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
Hello! I wanted to get the point of view from parents who have children with a peanut allergy. My 4 year old niece has a peanut allergy to which my husband and I have been very understanding. We carry epi pens when with her, peanut cards for the chefs, and took a CPR class. We banish peanuts from our house when she comes over and abstain from any peanut ingredients or even those made on shared equipment. I would never dream of causing her harm in any way, but I feel as though their latest request is a little crazy.

We have a big celebration this weekend in Las Vegas for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We have several dinners/lunches planned for the weekend. I made reservations at several places and without being asked, made sure they could do a peanut free dish for my niece. I even got the chef's personal cell phone number and gave it to my brother in law so he could call with questions/concerns.

My brother in law sent an email last night to everyone in the party asking all of us to abstain from any peanuts or peanut ingredients throughout the entire weekend. Honestly I think that is a little nuts (). My husband and I were planning on at least one Thai meal for lunch when the little ones were going to be at the pool, and I am pretty sure they use peanut oil. Is it even in the realm of possibility that by eating peanut oil I could harm my niece? I haven't been able to find anything about that on the American Academic of Pediatrics or WebMD information sites.

So parents of peanut allergy kids, how do you feel about this? Am I being completely insensitive? I can take it. Sometimes you just need to really hear from others, you know? Thanks in advance.
Wash your hands and face. If you spill anything, change clothes. Beyond that- if the child is healthy enough to be exposed to the general public at a pool (where peanut eating children will be swimming without such precautions) and eat in restaurants (where the waiter may have served the next table over something with peanuts 3 minutes ago) then she will be able to survive you having peanut items outside her presence with sanitary cautions taken afterward. Logistically you will NOT be the greatest source of exposure.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduck123 View Post
I am just wondering...does your cousin take her DS to shopping malls, libraries, & other public places? That must be tricky? Even doctor's offices?
Not really. They eat almost all their meals at home. He is homeschooled. And every so many years they do a blood test to see how his allergy is doing, and it's been getting worse. He is also allergic to soy now, and wasn't before. He is on a swim team and it's a risk, but he has to do something! He is also active in his church. But mostly it's home, church, swim practice, and play in back yard.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Thanks everyone! I think that what made me the most upset was that these kind of emails and phone calls are escalating in their frequency and requests. Before any meet up we have, we get a long phone call or email reminding us of all the things we need to do. Um, yeah, we know! It is not like we are relatives who aren't involved with her life at all. We took a CPR class for crying out loud and went with you to the doctor to learn about epi pens! Whenever they start with "the lecture" again, I just try to think about how worried they are about her. But it is hard not to take it personally.

My niece is constantly around people who have taken no peanut allergy precautions (i.e. going to the store, pre-school, restaurants, pools, etc.), so I don't see how eating a Thai meal when she is not around is going to hurt her. So we had our lunch, washed up and met them for dinner later that day. She was fine.

I have no problem abstaining from peanuts when she is around. I want her to be safe. But when she isn't even in a 5 mile radius of me, I think it is okay for me to indulge in peanuts as long as I take the precaution of washing.

My niece also ate at many restaurants in Vegas and I have to say, they all did a tremendous job of working with her allergy. She was able to have lots of choices and left Vegas without any reaction at all.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

I don't know how allergic she is to peanuts. I am allergic to peanuts, it was a developed allergy when I turned 18-19. If someone has eaten peanuts in the past 12-18 hours and they breath on me, touch the same phone, computer or they touch me, I will break out in hives. Not only just where they've touched me but all over my body.

I've been sitting in a restaurant when the table beside us ordered cake with peanuts and I started to sneeze and itch, even though I didn't realise until twenty minutes later, why I was suddenly reacting.

If I eat peanuts, while I don't go into anaphylactic shock (although my GP suspects eventually it might get that bad) I get physically ill for 24-48 hours and then I get severe reflux for 4-8 weeks afterwards. This reflux affects me even if I have a sip of water, I can be doubled up with pain and cramps. Yes, seriously!

I know it's difficult for other people, especially with parents who might be OTT. But knowing what I'm like, I can understand where they are coming from too.

Glad you all had a good time!
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: