Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
chasemi
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 72

Walk to Downtown Disney from Buena Vista Resort or Springhill Suites

We're looking to plan a last minute trip and our favorite, the Villas at the Boardwalk, is not available for the dates we want. We love the Boardwalk for the outdoor fun - walking to parks, strolling along the Boardwalk, the bicycle rentals. I was looking at the Downtown Disney hotels, and want to get a 1BR suite, so I narrowed it to the Buena Vista Resort and Springhill Suites. How is the walk from these hotels to Downtown Disney? Is it very far? Is it a nice walk? Thanks in advance for any help!
chasemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
momto2js
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 525

Both places are on the other side of I-4 from DTD. It is not really that far but not safely walkable.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
TheBeadPirate
Button Maker Magician & Blinkie toting Sherpa
 
TheBeadPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: next door to the Magic- Finally!
Posts: 3,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemi View Post
We're looking to plan a last minute trip and our favorite, the Villas at the Boardwalk, is not available for the dates we want. We love the Boardwalk for the outdoor fun - walking to parks, strolling along the Boardwalk, the bicycle rentals. I was looking at the Downtown Disney hotels, and want to get a 1BR suite, so I narrowed it to the Buena Vista Resort and Springhill Suites. How is the walk from these hotels to Downtown Disney? Is it very far? Is it a nice walk? Thanks in advance for any help!
I am guessing you mean the Buena Vista Suites and not the Buena Vista Palace. The Springhill and Buena Vista Suites at Marriott Village are on the other side of I-4 from DTD. It's a walk along a major multi-lane rd (that you must cross over at some point). I'd guess it's a couple of miles.

While I wouldn't mind a long walk at Disney this isn't it. I drive 535 (the road you'd be walking along) everyday and it's always crazy.
__________________
Marriage should be a balanced stalemate between equal adversaries.
ME Lori DH Rick
TheBeadPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
chasemi
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 72

Thank you both for your responses. Is there any hotel in DTD area that is walkable to DTD, without having to cross a major roadway?
chasemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemi View Post
Thank you both for your responses. Is there any hotel in DTD area that is walkable to DTD, without having to cross a major roadway?
There are several hotels on Hotel Plaza (within walking distance to DTD). The 2 hotels you mentioned are not in the DTD area. (Unless you mean Buena Vista Palace which is right across the street from DTD)

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/AreaMap/

Last edited by livndisney; 11-03-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added link
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Detailor
DIS Veteran
 
Detailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,178

There are safe places to cross SR 535, Hotel Plaza Boulevard and/or Buena Vista Drive from the DTD area hotels to Downtown Disney. I'd think, though, that the area hotels that are most easily walkable to/from the Marketplace end of DTD are...
Double Tree Guest Suites (about 3/4 of a mile)
Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort (a little over a half mile)
Royal Plaza (about a half mile)
Holiday Inn (just under half a mile)
The Buena Vista Palace (maybe a third of a mile)
the Hilton Hotel (just over a quarter mile)
Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (no more than a quarter mile)

I believe that any other hotel would be more than a mile from DTD.

Dick Taylor
__________________
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailor View Post
There are safe places to cross SR 535, Hotel Plaza Boulevard and/or Buena Vista Drive from the DTD area hotels to Downtown Disney. I'd think, though, that the area hotels that are most easily walkable to/from the Marketplace end of DTD are...
Double Tree Guest Suites (about 3/4 of a mile)
Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort (a little over a half mile)
Royal Plaza (about a half mile)
Holiday Inn (just under half a mile)
The Buena Vista Palace (maybe a third of a mile)
the Hilton Hotel (just over a quarter mile)
Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (no more than a quarter mile)

I believe that any other hotel would be more than a mile from DTD.

Dick Taylor
I don't think the issue was crossing 535. I think the issue would be the distance and walking along 535(I am not sure there is even a sidewalk all the way from Springhill Suites). The op would have to cross an I-4 on ramp, go under the overpass and then cross a multi lane I-4 exit ramp before getting to Crossroads and the entrance to Hotel Plaza.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
chasemi
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
There are several hotels on Hotel Plaza (within walking distance to DTD). The 2 hotels you mentioned are not in the DTD area. (Unless you mean Buena Vista Palace which is right across the street from DTD)

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/AreaMap/
Thank you for this map! It's perfect. So, is the Buena Vista Palace a short, managable walk to DTD? No major roadways/highways to cross? Has anyone stayed in an "Island Suite" there?
chasemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Detailor
DIS Veteran
 
Detailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
I don't think the issue was crossing 535. I think the issue would be the distance and walking along 535(I am not sure there is even a sidewalk all the way from Springhill Suites). The op would have to cross an I-4 on ramp, go under the overpass and then cross a multi lane I-4 exit ramp before getting to Crossroads and the entrance to Hotel Plaza.
There are sidewalks and crosswalks along that route from the Marriott Village hotels to the Marketplace end of Downtown Disney. While I've seen people walk along that 1 3/4 mile route I wouldn't choose walking as my preference. I agree that the stretch across the I-4 on ramp and exit ramp seem the most disconcerting. There's a short crosswalk at the on ramp but cars tend to zip right onto I-4 East creating a challenge for anyone but particularly so if crossing with a family in tow. There are crosswalk call buttons at the exit ramp which makes that area a little safer assuming that the drivers who are turning right actually pay attention to the traffic lights there (and there is a sign there that says there's no right turn on red). Then there are the six lanes that they'd cross 535 at the crosswalk from Crossroads to the beginning of Hotel Plaza Boulevard, also controlled by a crosswalk call button.

I agree that a nearly two mile walk might not be the best way to get from Marriott Village to DTD (it wouldn't be something that I'd choose) but it is an option.

I think that the biggest challenge along that route is that there are so many tourist drivers who tend to not always know exactly where they're going mixed with locals who are trying to get to work, etc., and don't have a lot of patience for the tourists. That dynamic can sometimes lead to poor driving decisions, IMO, that might make it a bit dangerous to walk along parts of that route.

Dick Taylor
__________________
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemi View Post
Thank you for this map! It's perfect. So, is the Buena Vista Palace a short, managable walk to DTD? No major roadways/highways to cross? Has anyone stayed in an "Island Suite" there?
Buena Vista Palace is right across the street from the bus stop at DTD. Nothing at all like walking along 535.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailor View Post
There are sidewalks and crosswalks along that route from the Marriott Village hotels to the Marketplace end of Downtown Disney. While I've seen people walk along that 1 3/4 mile route I wouldn't choose walking as my preference. I agree that the stretch across the I-4 on ramp and exit ramp seem the most disconcerting. There's a short crosswalk at the on ramp but cars tend to zip right onto I-4 East creating a challenge for anyone but particularly so if crossing with a family in tow. There are crosswalk call buttons at the exit ramp which makes that area a little safer assuming that the drivers who are turning right actually pay attention to the traffic lights there (and there is a sign there that says there's no right turn on red). Then there are the six lanes that they'd cross 535 at the crosswalk from Crossroads to the beginning of Hotel Plaza Boulevard, also controlled by a crosswalk call button.

I agree that a nearly two mile walk might not be the best way to get from Marriott Village to DTD (it wouldn't be something that I'd choose) but it is an option.

I think that the biggest challenge along that route is that there are so many tourist drivers who tend to not always know exactly where they're going mixed with locals who are trying to get to work, etc., and don't have a lot of patience for the tourists. That dynamic can sometimes lead to poor driving decisions, IMO, that might make it a bit dangerous to walk along parts of that route.

Dick Taylor
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran
 
sweet maxine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: where the kudzu grows, and grows....and grows....
Posts: 2,037

I think Detailor has accurately described the how the experience might be of walking from the Marriott Village to DTD. Personally, I would agree, and would not advise even thinking about that walk.

That said, I wonder if the Lynx buses make a stop close to the Marriott Village, as they might be a better option for you. As another PP stated, there are several hotels in the DTD area on Hotel Drive. The Doubletree has rooms which are suites, and might come closer to what you are looking for, and the Mousesavers site usually has a link for a nice price there.
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
Kae
DIS Veteran
 
Kae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemi View Post
Thank you for this map! It's perfect. So, is the Buena Vista Palace a short, managable walk to DTD? No major roadways/highways to cross? Has anyone stayed in an "Island Suite" there?
Not in a suite but we stayed at BVP once & really enjoyed. Just a hop to DTD
Kae
__________________
:Me DH DD14 DS17CSR Oct 2010-Just Me & DH!!
May 2007-Pop & AKL June 2005-WL April 2005-Wyndham Palace March 2004-Marriott DTD
Oct 2003-WL Oct 2001-Poly DS 1st Trip
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,472

Florida is know to have drenching thunderstorms and hot, humid weather. I wouldn't book a hotel planning on a 2 mile walk. I believe the DTD hotels also offer bus service to DTD. You can walk but take a bus (or taxi) back if weather conditions dictate it.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Straitlover
DIS Veteran
 
Straitlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Florida is know to have drenching thunderstorms and hot, humid weather. I wouldn't book a hotel planning on a 2 mile walk. I believe the DTD hotels also offer bus service to DTD. You can walk but take a bus (or taxi) back if weather conditions dictate it.
Plus - a 1.75-2 mile walk will take you 40-45 minutes easily because of traffic. Then taking a DTD bus to a WDW resort and transferring to a park bus is another 30 minutes to an hr. By the time you actually walk through a park gate, you're talking almost 2 hrs! Then you do the reverse in the evening. No way, Jose. If you need to use the DTD buses, stay at a DTD hotel. You can usually get a good deal on a room at the Hilton DTD on lastminutetravel.com.
__________________
Lisa
Straitlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.