Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #31
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Well,

It is looking a LOT better! Most (about 90%) of the surface dirt and grime is off. With those two screws that I couldn't get out (at least right now); and the fact that I need to have the whole motor rewired...has put me in a bit of a stand still right now.

I know it would be possible to leave the de-construction where it is and just finish cleaning the parts I have managed to take off and put it back together, but I know that the parts that will stay uncleaned will always bother me! I also know that I will not be able to get anything else de-constructed or repaired until after the first of the year.

I am determined to not have this become another one of my famous UFOs (unfinished objects), but I did move it from my sewing table so I could work on the quilts yesterday afternoon.

It is already looking so much better than it did when I first opened it up! Of course, the bentwood cover is giving me fits. I let my DD give it a good oiling yesterday. It looks better, but is obvious that the wood has discolored a bit too much for just an oiling to help much. I caught her just before she grabbed the sand paper! It has several paint spatters from when I painted my room as a teenager. I doubt those will be coming off. In order to get them off, the Singer decal will have to come off the case.

I was really lucky that the medallion shined up with just a cleaning...I did not use brasso. (which I had planned on using!)

So, for the next few weeks it will live under my quilting table with all the little baggies filed away...

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #32
cogero
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see it when you are done. I too had shelve some things I want to do.

Once I close my scrapbooking business it will get easier I think.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #33
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Can't wait to see it when you are done. I too had shelve some things I want to do.

Once I close my scrapbooking business it will get easier I think.
Don't count on it! LOL!
My experience has shown that every time I stop one activity in hopes of getting more time for things I want to do, another activity rears its ugly head!

At the beginning of the school year I was wondering what I would do with all my time. I even thought of getting a part time job. Now, I am home schooling one and being after school care for my grand daughter! No free time here!

Nini

Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #34
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
Well,

It is looking a LOT better! Most (about 90%) of the surface dirt and grime is off. With those two screws that I couldn't get out (at least right now); and the fact that I need to have the whole motor rewired...has put me in a bit of a stand still right now.

I know it would be possible to leave the de-construction where it is and just finish cleaning the parts I have managed to take off and put it back together, but I know that the parts that will stay uncleaned will always bother me! I also know that I will not be able to get anything else de-constructed or repaired until after the first of the year.

I am determined to not have this become another one of my famous UFOs (unfinished objects), but I did move it from my sewing table so I could work on the quilts yesterday afternoon.

It is already looking so much better than it did when I first opened it up! Of course, the bentwood cover is giving me fits. I let my DD give it a good oiling yesterday. It looks better, but is obvious that the wood has discolored a bit too much for just an oiling to help much. I caught her just before she grabbed the sand paper! It has several paint spatters from when I painted my room as a teenager. I doubt those will be coming off. In order to get them off, the Singer decal will have to come off the case.

I was really lucky that the medallion shined up with just a cleaning...I did not use brasso. (which I had planned on using!)

So, for the next few weeks it will live under my quilting table with all the little baggies filed away...

Nini
I know, that in one of those websites I sent you - there is a tutorial for a non-toxic way to refinish wood... not sure about the paint splatters though... I'm sure it adds character - and you'll never forget the exact color of your bedroom as a teenager.

I wish I could help you loosen those screws... I know what you mean about leaving part of it uncleaned. I hope you are able to find someone to rewire it for you. I know that on the sew-classic website, she has a lot of the wiring mechanisms all set to go, you just plug them in. Will any of those work for your machine? I ordered one yesterday for Mr. Rocket... DH wanted to put a new plug on him- just to be safe - but he just doesn't have the time, it was so muhc easier just to order a whole new cord, then all he has to do is wire it to the foot pedal (have I told you how much I LOVE the old Singer foot pedals???).

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #35
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Since I posted so much about the little sewing machine D~ has convinced me to restore, I thought I'd post a bit about my own little spot known as my studio.

I was looking for a picture of the old studio, but all I can find are pictures of the studio in progress of moving from the bonus room to the basement.

See, originally it was a tv room, then I moved my sewing machine up there, the computer, and slowly it turned into my own little cave. When I decided to buy a 12 foot quilting table and long arm quilter, well, the fact that the room was only 14 foot long and barely wide enough to hold the table, it became obvious it was going to be too small.

I was lucky enough to have a relative giving away a quilt machine. It was a tad bit smaller than I wanted, but it was free! Since it was only 10 feet, and a mid arm, I thought it would work there. For about 3 years it did fine. I used it as an ironing table by putting a padded top on it, I used it as a storage spot for the fabric of what ever project I was working on, and it basically hung out in the middle of the room.

Here is an extremely messy picture of what it looked like in the middle of the move. I think it will give you an idea of the size of the room and the size of the table!

As you can see...it is very messy at this point!

I finally decided to move it to the basement apartment that was made for my mom. Her apartment had one bedroom, a kitchen/living room combo and a nice bathroom. The rest of the basement includes a nice office for my husband and a large storage room.

Here is a picture of the new studio after a full day of moving things down...with the help of my son and daughter in law, and my daughter and son in law.

This is the quilter's new home.

Here is the sewing station and new computer area.

One last shot of my serger and its new home on the treadle machine.

No, it doesn't look quite like this any more. Most of the fabric is now stored in the cabinets of the kitchen. I have several over the door shoe organizers that hold most of my scraps for applique, and I now have an embroidery machine. The sewing station is now a nice flat surface covering all the odd pieces of furniture and is covered in mod poged fabric.

One of these days I will clean the studio up again and take some pictures of the way it looks now...it actually has curtains up...a la Minnie Mouse of course!

Nini

Last edited by NiniMorris; 11-06-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: pictures again!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #36
DMGeurts

I love it Nini! What a difference space makes!

And I totally get the heebeejeebies seeing your modern serger on top of your treadle... LOL

D~
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #37
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I love it Nini! What a difference space makes!

And I totally get the heebeejeebies seeing your modern serger on top of your treadle... LOL

D~
Space is wonderful, but I still need more (better) storage!

+++++++++++++++

So, now I would like to post a few pictures of the clothes we have worn to Disney. Before I start, let me preface it with I have been sewing my whole life. My grandmother made wedding dresses for a Department store in Nashville when I was little and then moved to one in Birmingham when we moved to Alabama int he early 50's. When the department store started selling only things made in a 'sweat shop' my grandmother started making clothes at home. My first memories of summer vacation were learning the right way to rip seams. (yes, evidently there is a right way and a wrong way!) My mother sewed all her own clothes as a girl (next to the oldest of 10) and all my clothes were hand made until I was a teenager...and then at least half were, but they were made by me.

Somewhere along the way I forgot about sewing for fun, and went off to other crafts. I finally came back to sewing (in a form anyway) with the birth of my third child. I started quilting. I loved quilting. It became my new passion. Occasionally I would make an outfit for my oldest daughter, but primarily I quilted.

When we were planning our trip to Disney in 2008, I discovered the Dis boards. From there I saw the fabulous iron on shirts the DISigners were sending out...I was hooked! I made two shirts for each day of our trip. They were quick and easy and looked great...for one wearing. Even when I bought the expensive transfers, I was never completely happy with the results after washing.

I had lurked on the Disboutiquer thread for a few weeks before the trip and liked the appliques shirts, but never got around to actually making one.

Then our trip in 2009 made me want to make more shirts...but the iron on shirts were vetoed by everyone! So I started reading the Disboutiquers thread almost religiously! I made a couple of simple Mickey head appliqued shirts and was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out. Then I decided the girls needed matching dresses for dinner. That started the obsession!

Anyway, my sewing skills were seriously lacking at this point...following patterns was not exactly something I did well! I liked the straight lines of quilting much better. When I look at the first dresses I made I shudder. (And we won't talk about how I now feel about those first 'hand done' appliques! LOL)

So, here are a couple pictures of the dresses/shirts that I made for that trip in 2009...

[IMG] 087 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 028 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 024 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 002 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

See... I told you they weren't great...but they were a start. I am now 100% obsessed with making clothes for our Disney trips!

Stay tuned for some outfits from our 2010 trip!

Nini

Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #38
DMGeurts

You need to give yourself more credit Nini!!! I think the outfits are adorable - yes you've come a long way - but the outfits are still adorable!

D~
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Unbelievable!

Just spent an hour typing out my next installment...and on wrong flick of the mouse nd it is all gone!!!

Sorry, next installment will have to wait until the morning!

Nini

Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #40
cogero
DIS Veteran

Nini I absolutely love your room.

Also your customs are totally fabulous.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #41
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

You are both so kind. The outfits were a blast to make, but the skill set was sorely lacking. I still cringe every time I look at pictures of these clothes.
I also have to let you know that all the dresses were made within 6 weeks of leaving. My son and his family did not decide to go until less than 6 weeks before we left. (then, there was the 5 ½ weeks of indecision by DFACS…we literally got the paperwork to be able to take my son’s foster child the day before we left!)
Since I have now lost my next post TWICE, I have decided to type it out on Word and then copy and paste it to my PTR. I think this might be much easier!

Now we will fast forward a year to our 2010 trip. This was full on customs for everyone. (even my son and daughter in law were forced to wear matching shirts!) We were leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving for 10 days in the park, including a special night of MVMCP!
This would have been easy; I had 10 months to make clothes for 10 people. The goal was to complete one day’s outfits/shirts each month. Two outfits a day times 7 people times 10 days…easy peasy …right? Well it would have been if my health had not interfered with the plan. Early in 2010 my neck started bothering me more than normal. I have an auto immune type of arthritis that loves to destroy certain joints. The vertebrae in my back have all been ravaged at some point in the course of my disease. I generally try to ignore the pain, but every once in a while things happen to make it impossible to ignore.
That is what happened last year. My hands started going numb. I guess going numb is not entirely accurate. They would become numb for days at a time. I could poke my finger with a pin, but the only way I would know it is by seeing the blood. Then I stopped having the ability to feel that I was holding the scissors. (very hard to cut accurately around an appliqué when you can’t control the scissors).
Several trips to the doctors and several MRIs and C-T Scans later, it was decided I needed to have three vertebrae in my neck fused. I won’t lie. It was very scary. I was out of commission for 2 months. It really put a crimp in my sewing time! LOL.
We finally made it to Disney exactly 10 weeks after my surgery. (hence the reason I was on pain pills for the majority of my trip that year!)
So, without further long winded explanations, here is some of the clothes I made for that trip. (I still have not located pictures of some of the outfits yet…an since I have now sold them on CBRG, I may have lost the ability to show you them!)

First up, is my all time favorite Steamboat Willie. I am most proud of the way this outfit turned out. The girls were stunning (even if my grand daughter slept through the whole evening!) We wore this to Hollywood and Vine for one of our Hollywood Studios nights.

Next up is the only picture I can find of the dress the girls wore to Akershus. This is the skirt panel in process. It is about a third of one skirt here. I really hate that I can't find a decent picture of the whole dress. It was a work of love that took me three months!

Next up is the dress the girls wore to Crystal Palace before our MVMCP. I wasn't happy with the way this dress turned out...mainly because my 10 year old daughter would not let me put the ruffles and trim I wanted on it...so it seemed a bit plain to me.

These are cute pirate shirts we wore to Magic Kingdom one day. We each had just a tad bit different shirt.

Up next, one of our Animal Kingdom Shirts.

Again, a Hollywood Studios shirt, and again, we all had just a bit different shirt.

Another Hollywood Studio Shirt...and I have to say not my favorite designs. They did not stitch out well at ALL!

I LOVED these shirts. The girls wore them with a patchwork twirl shirt with full pettiskirt under them!

This outfit was not my favorite to sew. I loved the way it turned out, but it was the first outfit I made for the trip. My daughter started ...umm...getting curves after I made it. It had to be remade twice...and ignore her frowny face. See my daughter has this rule...no smiles allowed in pictures...yes, she is THAT age!

This was our shirt for MVMCP. On the back it said "Very Merry Christmas!"
I loved the shirts, but it was so cold no one got to see them! (Boo)

This is from one of our Animal Kingdom days.

And this is from our first Epcot day/night. We all wore one of the dwarfs. The girls wore a Snow White dress peek a boo dress with their dwarf in the peek a boo area. We ate at Biergarten that night. I have to tell you, the dresses were stunning while they wore their pettis. Not so much without them!

I will not bore you with anymore of the outfits from that trip...mainly because I plan on boring you with outfits from our most recent trip next...and because I really am upset that I can't find the pictures I want.

Photobucket and I are not speaking any more...seems it thinks I shouldn't be able to get access to my pictures any more. I know I have some of the Princess dresses there...including Cinderella and Tianna from the girl's BBB appointment. But for the time being you will have to just take my word for it...they were more than cute..I loved them!

Nini

Last edited by NiniMorris; 11-07-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Correcting the pirate shirts!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #42
DMGeurts

Quote:
You are both so kind. The outfits were a blast to make, but the skill set was sorely lacking. I still cringe every time I look at pictures of these clothes.
I also have to let you know that all the dresses were made within 6 weeks of leaving. My son and his family did not decide to go until less than 6 weeks before we left. (then, there was the 5 ½ weeks of indecision by DFACS…we literally got the paperwork to be able to take my son’s foster child the day before we left!)
Since I have now lost my next post TWICE, I have decided to type it out on Word and then copy and paste it to my PTR. I think this might be much easier!

Now we will fast forward a year to our 2010 trip. This was full on customs for everyone. (even my son and daughter in law were forced to wear matching shirts!) We were leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving for 10 days in the park, including a special night of MVMCP!
This would have been easy; I had 10 months to make clothes for 10 people. The goal was to complete one day’s outfits/shirts each month. Two outfits a day times 7 people times 10 days…easy peasy …right? Well it would have been if my health had not interfered with the plan. Early in 2010 my neck started bothering me more than normal. I have an auto immune type of arthritis that loves to destroy certain joints. The vertebrae in my back have all been ravaged at some point in the course of my disease. I generally try to ignore the pain, but every once in a while things happen to make it impossible to ignore.
That is what happened last year. My hands started going numb. I guess going numb is not entirely accurate. They would become numb for days at a time. I could poke my finger with a pin, but the only way I would know it is by seeing the blood. Then I stopped having the ability to feel that I was holding the scissors. (very hard to cut accurately around an appliqué when you can’t control the scissors).
Several trips to the doctors and several MRIs and C-T Scans later, it was decided I needed to have three vertebrae in my neck fused. I won’t lie. It was very scary. I was out of commission for 2 months. It really put a crimp in my sewing time! LOL.
We finally made it to Disney exactly 10 weeks after my surgery. (hence the reason I was on pain pills for the majority of my trip that year!)
I am glad you were able to go on your trip - but your condition sounds so painful. I am also very glad you were able to get back to your sewing.

Quote:
So, without further long winded explanations, here is some of the clothes I made for that trip. (I still have not located pictures of some of the outfits yet…an since I have now sold them on CBRG, I may have lost the ability to show you them!)

First up, is my all time favorite Steamboat Willie. I am most proud of the way this outfit turned out. The girls were stunning (even if my grand daughter slept through the whole evening!) We wore this to Hollywood and Vine for one of our Hollywood Studios nights.
I have never seen these before Nini! They are gorgeous! They are actually something very similar to what I visualized in dolly size for an upcoming project. I just love Steamboat Willy!

Quote:
Next up is the only picture I can find of the dress the girls wore to Akershus. This is the skirt panel in process. It is about a third of one skirt here. I really hate that I can't find a decent picture of the whole dress. It was a work of love that took me three months!
I would love to see the whole thing too! Bummer - the panels look awesome! And I love the fabrics you chose.

Quote:
Next up is the dress the girls wore to Crystal Palace before our MVMCP. I wasn't happy with the way this dress turned out...mainly because my 10 year old daughter would not let me put the ruffles and trim I wanted on it...so it seemed a bit plain to me.
I don't understand why children need a mind of their own? Momma knows best - LOL - now I have that song in my head.

Quote:
These are cute pirate shirts we wore to Magic Kingdom one day. We each had just a tad bit different shirt.

Up next, one of our Animal Kingdom Shirts.

Again, a Hollywood Studios shirt, and again, we all had just a bit different shirt.

Another Hollywood Studio Shirt...and I have to say not my favorite designs. They did not stitch out well at ALL!

I LOVED these shirts. The girls wore them with a patchwork twirl shirt with full pettiskirt under them!

I love all of these! Even the ones you say that didin't stitch out right look great to me!

Quote:
This outfit was not my favorite to sew. I loved the way it turned out, but it was the first outfit I made for the trip. My daughter started ...umm...getting curves after I made it. It had to be remade twice...and ignore her frowny face. See my daughter has this rule...no smiles allowed in pictures...yes, she is THAT age!

This was our shirt for MVMCP. On the back it said "Very Merry Christmas!"
I loved the shirts, but it was so cold no one got to see them! (Boo)

This is from one of our Animal Kingdom days.

And this is from our first Epcot day/night. We all wore one of the dwarfs. The girls wore a Snow White dress peek a boo dress with their dwarf in the peek a boo area. We ate at Biergarten that night. I have to tell you, the dresses were stunning while they wore their pettis. Not so much without them!

I will not bore you with anymore of the outfits from that trip...mainly because I plan on boring you with outfits from our most recent trip next...and because I really am upset that I can't find the pictures I want.

Photobucket and I are not speaking any more...seems it thinks I shouldn't be able to get access to my pictures any more. I know I have some of the Princess dresses there...including Cinderella and Tianna from the girl's BBB appointment. But for the time being you will have to just take my word for it...they were more than cute..I loved them!

Nini
I love all of these as well - It must be so much fun to go to WDW with all these fabulous customs... I can't wait to go and wear a few myself.

D~
Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #43
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Short trip down memory lane with our 2011 trip.
We went again for the Free Dining in September/October. (we really like the Free Dining!) This was supposed to be a trip with just the four of us. Then, my son and daughter in law decided to go at the same time. They were bringing a babysitter to help watch the granddaughter so I would not have to watch her when all the big people were on rides.
Then, 30 days before we left, my Disney hating daughter and her husband decided to join us!
This (like most of our trips lately) morphed into 10 people for Disney! There were no dramatic issues with this trip...no sickness or surgery, no problems prior to the trip…(unless you call adding people to dining reservations at the last minute drama!) We saved the drama for the week prior to the trip…
This trip I only made matching shirts for the 4 of us. Two shirts a day for 4 people times 9 days. Much more manageable. But somehow I still managed to be sewing a few days before we left! LOL!
I did make 4 shirts for my granddaughter by special request…but I don’t remember seeing her wear any of them. That was a little bit of a bummer…but I have come to expect that sort of thing! LOL!
A brief bit of the drama both prior and at the start of the trip and then I won’t mention it again!
My special needs son has a very kind heart. A little too kind! He gave a child at school a one hundred dollar bill from my Disney money about a week before we left. The little boy told Mr D that he must be rich because he goes to Disney all the time and he had never been once. We never will see that one hundred dollar bill again.
Then, on the night we were packing up, our truck was broken into (actually about 15 minutes before we left for Disney at 3 am). They got two GPS and our brand new dual DVD players. We got the kind that allowed the kids to watch the same movie or they could watch two different movies. A total of 27 homes in our neighborhood were hit that night, along with several other neighborhoods as well. (in fact they hit my son’s neighborhood and hit both of his cars)
A few days before we were to leave a good friend of my late mother’s died from cancer. This woman was very special to me and my family. She is someone who helped me get through the whole accident. She and her husband came to the hospital every single day…for all two months. She continually brought me food (she knew I wasn’t eating) She let me cry on her shoulder, she listened to me scream about the injustice of the whole thing. She watched Miss B after school. I really doubt I could have come out of the whole time with part of my sanity intact if it weren’t for her. Losing Ms. Pat was catastrophic to me. Unfortunately, since they had relatives from out of town coming in, they held her funeral after we were in Disney. Ms Pat loved Disney almost as much as I do. While I hated missing her funeral, I knew her opinion would be we should go to Disney and enjoy ourselves and have a Dole Whip for her. She always said funerals were for the living to say good bye. She would have rather I said Good Bye to her in a place we both loved.
Then, the last bit of drama happened on Saturday after we had already enjoyed two days at Disney. A good friend and co worker of my husband’s was killed in an off duty motorcycle accident. His wife is still comatose. It was a big shock. We averaged 10 calls a day from back home updating us on the wife’s condition and asking my husband why he wasn’t going to attend the funeral. (I finally turned his phone off)

And yes, that is my idea of a non drama beginning to a trip!

So, now we will take a quick look at some of the shirts we wore to Disney this past year.

First up is one of the shirts I made for my Granddaughter. On this trip she was finally tall enough to ride most of the rides.

(sorry, for some reason no matter how hard I try I cannot get that picture turned right!)

One of our Hollywood Studios shirts.

I bet you can't guess where we wore theses shirts!

One for Magic Kingdom.

Chef Mickey's (not my favorite!)

Jake and the Neverland Pirates...I believe for Hollywood Studios...not sure!

This was for Coral Reef on DS actual birthday. On the back of his was written Birthday boy in the Disney font. We got lots and lots of comments on these shirts!

These were for 1900 Park Fare.

Animal Kingdom. LOVE, Love, LOVE theses!

Disney Hollywood Studios.

These were for our Drive down...while they look cute from a distance...I will NEVER use this design again!

These were for CRT, but we ended up not going back to change so we wore these going home instead.

Magic Kingdom...(these are the ones we ended up wearing to CRT.)

These we wore on one of our Epcot days. We did a similar design the year before, but this design is MUCH superior to the one we used previously...This one is by Heather Sue!

Another Animal Kingdom shirt...we reused this design from the previous year, just in different colors.

And lastly, a shirt that was supposed to be worn to Sci Fi Drive In, but we decided on Counter Service that night instead.

That is a lot of pictures!

I promise the rest of my reports will be on a much lighter beat, and contain way less pictures...at least for the remainder of this month. I have used all my available space on Flickr!

Nini

Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #44
cogero
DIS Veteran

I love all those shirts. My favorite is the test track. Debating making Miss C a skirt to go with that Design since that is her favorite ride.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #45
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I love all those shirts. My favorite is the test track. Debating making Miss C a skirt to go with that Design since that is her favorite ride.
I love Heather's Test Track design. There is no comparison to the one I used the previous year. I say make the skirt!

Nini

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: