Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #271
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
See, my favorite restaurant changes each year! LOL! As a family we love Crystal Palace (lots of sentimental reasons there); Garden Grill (another sentimental favorite); and CRT (the BOYS asked to go last year!). My husband and kids love Biergarten...me...not so much. A bit too noisy for me. It had all the things I hated about Germany...but at least had the food which I loved! My favorite from lat year was Coral Reef, and it is the one I am looking forward to this year the most.

How's that for a brief answer?

Nini
Here's my brief reply to your brief answer.

I love Crystal Palace as well. Until I switched to Tonga Toast at the Poly it seemed the perfect spot for the last day's breakfast.

I've never done Garden Grill. The one time we looked into it (no ADR, just walk up) it was full. Now that I go solo I'm not sure I'd want to go there alone. (I did HDDR solo a couple years ago. They sat me at my own table and brought a boat load of food. Don't know if that's how they'd do it at Garden Grill.)

We've done CRT twice as a family. I the root smash (or whatever they called the mashed potatoes).

We've done Biergarten a couple times. I wasn't that impressed so I'm always surprised when people call it a favorite-not-to-be-missed.

I'll have to check out Coral Reef again. Another one we went to once, didn't particularly care for it, and it was too $$$$$ for our budget back then. It would definitely be a good one for solo dining -- always something to look at.

<----------- Now I'm thinking about the potatoes at CRT.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #272
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I love the Coral Reef! I was at the Coral Reef last week. Our server said the kid's menu is changing. Not sure if the adult menu is changing or not. My new favorite there is the Vegetable Strata. I'm not much of a bread eater, but the rolls there, I really like!!
Heigh ho, heigh ho, off I go to check out the Coral Reef menu.

<---- oh, wait, escargot, that's for Le Bistro

Try this

<----- well, that's probably more for SciFi Dine In

Possibly

<----not sure if they're 3 scuba divers or 3 "friends" in the shower

How about

<-----bye, for now, gonna check out the Coral Reef menu

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #273
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

MAGIC!!!

My reply to you showed up before you posted.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #274
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

I love the Coral Reef! I was at the Coral Reef last week. Our server said the kid's menu is changing. Not sure if the adult menu is changing or not. My new favorite there is the Vegetable Strata. I'm not much of a bread eater, but the rolls there, I really like!!
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #275
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Cheryl... Are you finally planning another trip??? Let me guess... You're gonna surprise the girls and I while we are down there?

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #276
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

I just had to tell SOMEONE!!!

I missed a call from the Spa...they are ready to send Bubba home! Now, all I have to do is find a way to get the time to drive the 3 and a half hours round trip to go get him...the $150 is the easy part!

And..... I called the TA that I love and we have reserved a room at Coronado Springs for Nov 23 to Dec 3! Hubby isn't happy about the CSR part (I DID tell you about the problem we had last year didn't I?) but he is happy that I finally
have the dates I want. (now, if only free dining will appear I will cancel that bounce back for good!)

Don't get excited...this doesn't mean we have the dates set in stone...if there is no free dining we may not go....

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #277
DMGeurts

Quote:
I just had to tell SOMEONE!!!

I missed a call from the Spa...they are ready to send Bubba home! Now, all I have to do is find a way to get the time to drive the 3 and a half hours round trip to go get him...the $150 is the easy part!

And..... I called the TA that I love and we have reserved a room at Coronado Springs for Nov 23 to Dec 3! Hubby isn't happy about the CSR part (I DID tell you about the problem we had last year didn't I?) but he is happy that I finally
have the dates I want. (now, if only free dining will appear I will cancel that bounce back for good!)

Don't get excited...this doesn't mean we have the dates set in stone...if there is no free dining we may not go....

Nini
So glad Bubba is ready!

Awesome that you have your dates, now lets stalk for FD for you.

D~
Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #278
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Why I do not particularly like Coronado Springs!

I thought I had put this in the early pages, but just discovered (after reading the first 10 pages) that I had left out that particular instance. SO if it was in here...somewhere after the first 10 pages...or you already heard me ranting about it...just ignore this post! LOL!

Mr D weighs a little over 110 lbs. He is a big boy. He takes meds three times a day that makes him go to sleep for a couple of hours. When we go to Disney, we rent a special needs stroller. He uses it as a hiding place when he gets over stimulated; he uses it as a napping place when he needs to nap; and he uses it as a chariot! When we come back from the parks he is out cold! We usually don't come back until the parks close, so he is out and heavy to carry.

We always ask for a ground floor (he has elevator and stairs issues)close to the parking lot. We never have problems getting that since no one wants a view of the parking lot!

On our last Nov/Dec trip we had a problem. DIL checked in before we did (by a couple of seconds) and told them it was fine that they did not have a ground floor room ready. (We had connecting rooms - that makes it easier for us to babysit at night!) My CM did not speak English well at all...and she was in training. I told them the room would not work at all, and she insisted there were no other rooms available. Even if I chose to wait there would not be another room available the whole trip! (yes, I knew better!)

Well, not only was the room not on the ground floor, but it was as far away from the parking lots as possible! After seeing the room I knew it was going to be a problem. I asked to see a manager, and the best they could do was to move us after the weekend. THAT was not going to be a help, since Mr D doesn't handle change all that well. So we decided to keep it.

That was on Saturday. Monday morning, we discover there is no hot water! And the cold water was just a trickle! I called the front desk and was assured they were taking care of it. When we left for the parks, we discovered they had blocked the sidewalk to the parking lot for some 'construction' . Now let me say here... I normally do not complain a lot. At least not to managers and things like that. I complain to my husband, but basically I do nothing. The construction detour made us have to walk all around the building to get to the parking lot. When I say it took over 10 minutes to go from the room to the car ...was NO exaggeration!

This went on for the whole week! It was Friday before we had hot water again. One odd thing we did notice...we were the ONLY people in the whole building! They moved everyone else out because of the water issues!!

Can you say I was not happy at ALL!

But, before you think they didn't compensate us for our inconvenience...on our last day at the parks (Sunday) we came back to the room to find a letter of apology and two deflated helium balloons with an autographed picture of Mickey and Minnie wishing us a Happy Holiday!

When we got home, Disney got a strongly worded email ...and their response was two nights comp on any moderate room. We will probably never use the comp rooms, because we cannot add dining or tickets to it and cannot add the nights onto a package.

So, there you have it...why I do not like CSR. Are we going to actually try there again? Stay Tuned!

(reading that ....wow I do seem to be a drama mama!)
Nini

Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #279
Lidian
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience. I would have been livid as well. I would have asked to move to another resort if they couldn't supply me with things that I NEEDED to make my stay work.

That said, why can't you use the comp'ed rooms and then add tickets on when you arrive? Or use the comp'ed rooms at the end of your stay? Like stay for a week and pay for the first 5 days with your package and then move to your "comp'ed room" for the remainder of the stay. You'll already have your tickets. I think you can add the DDP after checking in as well, so long as you do it on your first day. So you could probably add the DDP to your comp'ed rooms once you got there. Just a suggestion.

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #280
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
I'm sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience. I would have been livid as well. I would have asked to move to another resort if they couldn't supply me with things that I NEEDED to make my stay work.

That said, why can't you use the comp'ed rooms and then add tickets on when you arrive? Or use the comp'ed rooms at the end of your stay? Like stay for a week and pay for the first 5 days with your package and then move to your "comp'ed room" for the remainder of the stay. You'll already have your tickets. I think you can add the DDP after checking in as well, so long as you do it on your first day. So you could probably add the DDP to your comp'ed rooms once you got there. Just a suggestion.
That is what we thought...but the letter we got specifically says you cannot do that... we have called twice to try and get it, nope. Our TA called and got in trouble for asking! The tickets themselves we could get with the military discount so that part isn't the issue. but, not being able to get the dining plan really puts a crimp in our style of doing Disney.

They are also adamant about not taking on the two days on an existing stay. And we have to be really flexible on the days we want to stay! It is at their discretion! I really don't see us ever actually using the nights! LOL!

By the way...congrats on making the dean's list! How exciting! But then again, all my 'kids' are smart!

Nini

Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #281
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is what we thought...but the letter we got specifically says you cannot do that... we have called twice to try and get it, nope. Our TA called and got in trouble for asking! The tickets themselves we could get with the military discount so that part isn't the issue. but, not being able to get the dining plan really puts a crimp in our style of doing Disney.

They are also adamant about not taking on the two days on an existing stay. And we have to be really flexible on the days we want to stay! It is at their discretion! I really don't see us ever actually using the nights! LOL!

By the way...congrats on making the dean's list! How exciting! But then again, all my 'kids' are smart!

Nini
Nini, I'd honestly call and complain. What kind of comp is that when you can't even use it??????? I'd probably be even more livid at their promotion they gave me. Lame! I mean, c'mon, it should at least be able to be used in conjunction of a package ... either before or after the package. With all the limits they're putting on it, it's a bad, bad deal. I'm so sorry.

Thanks for the grats! I'm very proud of myself.

March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #282
DMGeurts

I agree with Liddy - you should call and complain. That is horrible that you can never use it.

And also, I cannot believe the experience you had at CS, and quite unfair that they moved everyone but you... And sending you balloons with a card is like a kick in the teeth.

I am anxious to hear why you chose to go back...

D~
Old 02-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #283
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I agree with Liddy - you should call and complain. That is horrible that you can never use it.

And also, I cannot believe the experience you had at CS, and quite unfair that they moved everyone but you... And sending you balloons with a card is like a kick in the teeth.

I am anxious to hear why you chose to go back...

D~
First of all...I knew the terms of the comp room going into the deal. They originally offered me my choice of one room OR dinner at CRT. Since we were home... and I doubted CRT would be worth a drive back to Disney, I told them neither was acceptable to me. After some negotiations, I agreed to the two nights.

I only really wanted then to understand I was really upset. I never expected to get anything other than their understanding that I was beyond upset (and I had a week to calm down by this time!)

As far as going back... it wasn't the first time we stayed there. We loved it before. It was spacious, and convenient to all the parks (we drive). I really believe that the problem we had ...had more to do with the people on duty that day than a real problem with the resort.

Oddly enough, last September, we were 'upgraded' while staying at POFQ! And they could not understand why we thought it was a bad thing! They upgraded us to a river view corner room with views of the pool. The room was nice, and we did take advantage of the pool, but it was a long walk to the parking lot. The only reason we took it was because the resort is so small we didn't have to walk too far (not like CSR) My son and DIL paid for a river view room and ours was so much nicer than theirs!

Now....having said all that, there is one thing that POFQ has that CSR does not...the boat to DTD! Parking at DTD is always a pain, so hubby wants me to try again for either POR or POFQ...so another email to the TA!

(I'd much rather go to bed...this cold is trying its best to kill me!)

Nini

(Don't worry...I sprayed Lysol on the screen before I pushed enter, so you shouldn't catch this!)

Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #284
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
First of all...I knew the terms of the comp room going into the deal. They originally offered me my choice of one room OR dinner at CRT. Since we were home... and I doubted CRT would be worth a drive back to Disney, I told them neither was acceptable to me. After some negotiations, I agreed to the two nights.

I only really wanted then to understand I was really upset. I never expected to get anything other than their understanding that I was beyond upset (and I had a week to calm down by this time!)

As far as going back... it wasn't the first time we stayed there. We loved it before. It was spacious, and convenient to all the parks (we drive). I really believe that the problem we had ...had more to do with the people on duty that day than a real problem with the resort.

Oddly enough, last September, we were 'upgraded' while staying at POFQ! And they could not understand why we thought it was a bad thing! They upgraded us to a river view corner room with views of the pool. The room was nice, and we did take advantage of the pool, but it was a long walk to the parking lot. The only reason we took it was because the resort is so small we didn't have to walk too far (not like CSR) My son and DIL paid for a river view room and ours was so much nicer than theirs!

Now....having said all that, there is one thing that POFQ has that CSR does not...the boat to DTD! Parking at DTD is always a pain, so hubby wants me to try again for either POR or POFQ...so another email to the TA!

(I'd much rather go to bed...this cold is trying its best to kill me!)

Nini

(Don't worry...I sprayed Lysol on the screen before I pushed enter, so you shouldn't catch this!)
If you get me sick, how will I ever stay on the Dean's list?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #285
DMGeurts

I hope you are feeling better soon...

I am glad to hear that you DH prefers POR of POFQ, since that is where we are staying.

D~

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: