Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #241
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Nini I probably won't be any help but I would love to go in October and see all the Halloween decorations and go to MNSSHP And Heather has some cute Disney Halloween designs

I am jelous of any school system that has a fall break. I never heard of that until I started reading about if on the DISboards. We only get Columbus Day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Are you able to enter the sweepstakes each day? I've only been able to enter once -- every other time I get an error message. How's a girl to get to WDW if the gods are against me?
I keep getting that message too but I've been texting to enter though and those have gone through.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #242
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

First of all...I HOPE I have grabbed all the quotes. But knowing me...probably not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Nini I honestly don't know how you homeschool. It scares the bejesus out of me. I have thought about it several times but I am just petrified.

I can't believe you are trying another date. Hope you get it nailed down soon
Home schooling is the only option. Having my child fed sugar and then locked in a closet was horrible. It isn't too bad...except on those days when I have doubts. Yesterday was one of those days!

Finally talked to hubby about the dates in October...he nixed the idea. Mr D doesn't really matter about his school, since we can and do home school at Disney. Miss B has an overall 97 average (even though she is in middle school) so we aren't too concerned about her missing. My ace in the hole is the fact that if they complain I just pull her out for a few months to home school and then put her back in later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Sorry you are so stressed. I know what you mean about him knowing something one day and then having trouble with it the next. I could have written that post. School is frustrating for us too. It is hard to teach someone who constantly has to relearn.

I wish I had some great advice but like you, I am muddling through. I am always willing to listen though.
I think I just needed to vent a bit yesterday...and evidently he did too! At his OT appointment yesterday he spent the better part of the hour complaining to his great therapist, Harrison, that his Mom was nuts! We have this great understanding with all his therapists that Mr D can say whatever he wants to ... it is good that he is starting to recognize his own feelings.

Harrison worked with him a bit showing him how 4 plus 2 is six. Everything they worked on had that equation in it. Surprisingly at the end of his session...Mr D made a comment about how we were both right. (although Harrison's original premise that there were sometimes two sides to a story was lost on Mr D!)

Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that with his injury, a set in stone kind of day doesn't work for him. The state may have their idea of how many minutes he has to sit in each class...but it does not work for Mr D! And while I know he is getting more 'school' at home than he was in Public school, I sometimes worry that the "home school police" is going to get me because we miss 30 minutes of school ...

Quote:
ARGGGGHHH!!! is right. It's too much planning and too much $$$ to have everything so fuzzy.

Maybe the school district saw the title or your PTR and figure it wouldn't matter when they planned breaks???

Cheryl...I think you are so right...maybe I should have had a more covert name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Homeschooling Luke terrified me and soemtimes I still worry I am not the best teacher but school was a nightmare and I know he is getting more from me than he did there. His behavior changed drastically. He was a wreck when he was in school, crying, tantrums daily, etc and now while he still has rough days they are not nearly as often. Maybe two or three a month. So much better.
Well, we went from them calling me once a day to pick him up early (or putting him in an isolation room)...even though for three days of the week he was only there for a half day! Went from that to having major meltdowns ever 2 to 3 weeks (we still have minor ones every day). So I guess we are doing something right!

I really think as 'Moms' we have a better idea of what our children need. I also think we know better when our child is just trying to get over on us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Nini I probably won't be any help but I would love to go in October and see all the Halloween decorations and go to MNSSHP And Heather has some cute Disney Halloween designs

I am jelous of any school system that has a fall break. I never heard of that until I started reading about if on the DISboards. We only get Columbus Day off.

I keep getting that message too but I've been texting to enter though and those have gone through.
I have already picked out our MNSSHP shirts! I am going to use the Hitchhiking ghosts!

Truthfully, I am not a huge fan of Halloween. I always had to share Halloween with my birthday. (yes, I got a lot of teasing growing up that I was really a witch!) I had much rather go during the Christmas decorations time frame!

In fact hubby and I had a talk about it and decided we really want to go during Nov/Dec to the point that he said he would look at his budget one more time to see if he can swing the extra $2000 in case we can't get free dining. The only thing he liked about our Sept/Oct dates was the fact that we could go swimming. I reminded him we could go swimming anytime at home...see that big thing of water in the back yard with the deck around it?

==============

So far, January has been a pretty good month as far as the business goes. I have made a profit already...which I did not expect since I paid out such a large amount for the software! But Hubby's business has been sidelined since around Christmas. He has a stump grinding business. Unfortunately his machine has been out of commission since Christmas. He got it fixed, and the very next job it broke again. The only good thing about that is it is getting fixed for free...the bad thing is they have sent him the wrong part twice! I am stalking the UPS man every day waiting for the replaced part again! Then it will take a couple days to get it fixed.

Now is not a good time for him to rethink the budget for the trip!

I am really getting antsy to start some detailed planning...had a confirmation (not sure how reliable) that POFQ now has free WiFi in the rooms! If this is true it will save me about $100! I can't be without my internet!

And..... I really want to go to Disney during the annual Disbou meet... in order to do that I need to have a larger profit this year. Hubby isn't completely sold on the idea of going after Thanksgiving and then again the end of January! LOL! So I might just leave him at home and only take Mr D!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #243
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear there's a glimmer of hope. Sometimes that's all we need to get through another day.

I've never done free dining (or dining plan) as I always thought I'd rather have the flixibility to choose whatever. Lately I've been looking at menus (somehow it seems to be cheaper to look at dining reviews and menus than buying sergers and embroidery machines and dolls ) and it seems like overnight food has gotten so expensive -- or I've just become more of a cheapskate. Everyone talks (well, writes) about 1900 Park Fare and it would be $50 (with tip) just for one!

I may have to get a job to feed my addiction.

Hope it's a good day in GA.

PS I'm still traumatized that went up to $3.50 last year.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #244
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

YEs, the POFQ wi-fi is true... Per several people on the POFQ thread. Of course, I will double check for you while I am there (if DH rebuilds the laptop for me for our trip)...

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #245
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad to hear there's a glimmer of hope. Sometimes that's all we need to get through another day.

I've never done free dining (or dining plan) as I always thought I'd rather have the flixibility to choose whatever. Lately I've been looking at menus (somehow it seems to be cheaper to look at dining reviews and menus than buying sergers and embroidery machines and dolls ) and it seems like overnight food has gotten so expensive -- or I've just become more of a cheapskate. Everyone talks (well, writes) about 1900 Park Fare and it would be $50 (with tip) just for one!

I may have to get a job to feed my addiction.

Hope it's a good day in GA.

PS I'm still traumatized that went up to $3.50 last year.
Park Fare was a disappointment last trip. Definitely not worth the time or money.

As long as Mickey Bars are included as a snack on the dining plan, I don't really notice what the price is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
YEs, the POFQ wi-fi is true... Per several people on the POFQ thread. Of course, I will double check for you while I am there (if DH rebuilds the laptop for me for our trip)...

D~
Thanks...I've read from several people now...I just know my luck. If I plan on it being there for free then I know it will cost...if I plan on it costing me then there is a good chance it will be free!

I am so very upset right now I don't even know how to type!

My embroidery machine has died...in mid stitch!

I know it has something to do with the bobbin tension, which is what my problem was last April. It would not stay adjusted right. It would work for a few minutes then mess up terrible! No matter how many times I adjusted the bobbin tension it would not stay.

Before I go farther, let me say I have been sewing for most my life. For the past 10 years I have had a long arm quilter that requires me to be able to not only work on the tension (as it has to be changed with each thread change) but the timing as well. I have changed the bobbin tension more times than I can count!

With the manual, I was able to see what I needed to do for Bubba to make him stitch better. I know HOW to adjust the bobbin tension and how NOT to adjust the bobbin tension. I know that most sewing machine manufacturers prefer that the customer not mess with that part of the machine. One small mis adjustment can take hours to fix. (ask me how I know!)

When I took my machine in I explained that to the repair person. I told him that it was currently adjusted to extremely loose bobbin tension because I had started with tight and took it down by increments trying to find the sweet spot. I had given up after a couple of WEEKS of working on it daily for hours and hours!

He acted like he understood and went to work on it. When I picked it up...I felt very insulted. He told me to NEVER touch the bobbin tension because I had it so loose the screw almost fell out! Well, DUH...that is what I told HIM! To keep me from adjusting it...he super glued it in place!!!

Yes, you heard that right. He super glued it in place! Now, I can't adjust it and have to spend the $150 to have him look at it! I am so upset! I know that a slight adjustment is all it probably needs, but I am powerless to do it! At this point, I don't know if it is a more serious problem, or just a slight tension adjustment.

It is supposed to storm here in Atlanta area tomorrow. It is an hour and a half one way drive to drop it off. If it is raining, there is no way I will go.

I am now dead in the water. Good thing it is almost time to go for our Thursday therapy! I think I might start looking at new machines. If only I could find a way to afford a 6 needle machine. (of course Hubby said if I would give up a few Disney trips I could afford it!)

Nini

Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #246
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
Park Fare was a disappointment last trip. Definitely not worth the time or money.

As long as Mickey Bars are included as a snack on the dining plan, I don't really notice what the price is!

Thanks...I've read from several people now...I just know my luck. If I plan on it being there for free then I know it will cost...if I plan on it costing me then there is a good chance it will be free!

I am so very upset right now I don't even know how to type!

My embroidery machine has died...in mid stitch!

I know it has something to do with the bobbin tension, which is what my problem was last April. It would not stay adjusted right. It would work for a few minutes then mess up terrible! No matter how many times I adjusted the bobbin tension it would not stay.

Before I go farther, let me say I have been sewing for most my life. For the past 10 years I have had a long arm quilter that requires me to be able to not only work on the tension (as it has to be changed with each thread change) but the timing as well. I have changed the bobbin tension more times than I can count!

With the manual, I was able to see what I needed to do for Bubba to make him stitch better. I know HOW to adjust the bobbin tension and how NOT to adjust the bobbin tension. I know that most sewing machine manufacturers prefer that the customer not mess with that part of the machine. One small mis adjustment can take hours to fix. (ask me how I know!)

When I took my machine in I explained that to the repair person. I told him that it was currently adjusted to extremely loose bobbin tension because I had started with tight and took it down by increments trying to find the sweet spot. I had given up after a couple of WEEKS of working on it daily for hours and hours!

He acted like he understood and went to work on it. When I picked it up...I felt very insulted. He told me to NEVER touch the bobbin tension because I had it so loose the screw almost fell out! Well, DUH...that is what I told HIM! To keep me from adjusting it...he super glued it in place!!!

Yes, you heard that right. He super glued it in place! Now, I can't adjust it and have to spend the $150 to have him look at it! I am so upset! I know that a slight adjustment is all it probably needs, but I am powerless to do it! At this point, I don't know if it is a more serious problem, or just a slight tension adjustment.

It is supposed to storm here in Atlanta area tomorrow. It is an hour and a half one way drive to drop it off. If it is raining, there is no way I will go.

I am now dead in the water. Good thing it is almost time to go for our Thursday therapy! I think I might start looking at new machines. If only I could find a way to afford a 6 needle machine. (of course Hubby said if I would give up a few Disney trips I could afford it!)

Nini
Glad to hear your opinion of Park Fare.

I can't imagine how frustrated you must be at your machine and Mr. Fixit right now. He super glued it??!?? I know this is a broken record, but whenever I do something for a Big Give I hold my breath until the project's finished and that's the reason I don't see me ever doing etsy. Soooooo frustrating when a machine's not working and never easy, quick or cheap to get fixed.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #247
cogero
DIS Veteran

Oh (((((HUGS)))))))

That is one reason I am happy that my Duetta is also an embroidery machine. I like having a back up

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #248
DMGeurts

Oh no Nini... I am so upset for you. I think that's very wrong that the repair man did that. How is he supposed to work on it if it's glued - which leads me to believe that Google might be your friend - there has to be some sort of chemical that will remove the glue for you.

(((Big hugs)))

D~
Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #249
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys...

HSN has the Singer Futura XL 4000 on sale right now for 799.95 available on 5 payments. It comes with all the software, and a 10 x 6 frame. I am seriously thinking about it. The only problem is the sale is today only. Once the sale goes off it goes up by 200...and drops to only 4 payments.

I am looking at is as if it is meant to be it will be. If I get my money in tomorrow and the sale is still going on I will get it...if I don't get my money until Monday, then I probably won't get it.

Regardless, I will go tomorrow morning to take the machine in...I am not looking forward to the hour and a half drive!

Nini

Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #250
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Evidently it wasn't meant to be! Checked this morning...and they are sold out. So in a few minutes (more like a couple hours...got to wait until the Atlanta rush hour is over!) we will be heading to Kennesaw... Just have to make sure it is timed so that I will be here to pick up the Princess from school. If not, then I'll have to wait until Saturday to go....exactly how I wanted to spend my Saturday!

Not bitter, but a bit upset. I had already started looking at the larger designs and how I was going to use them!

(FYI, remember, when you pray about something, you don't always get the answer that you want...I think this is a resounding "NO" to my question about should I or shouldn't I get the new machine!)

Nini (who is still looking for a solution to my problem....)

Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #251
cogero
DIS Veteran

Nini Best of luck with the machine. I hope it is a fairly easy fix.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #252
DMGeurts

I sure hope it's an easy and quick fix for you Nini... I woud be so irritated that I would have to drive so far to have it fixed too. I'd be sure to tell the guy NOT to use super glue - after all it is YOUR machine - not his.

D~
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #253
GrammytoMany
Mouseketeer

Oh, Nini...you really do need a break...that black cloud over your head needs to go away!!!! Good luck with the machine and the repair guy. I can't believe he used Super Glue on it.

I've been dragging my machine back and forth to my daughter's house to use. I hook the seat belt around it like it's one of my gbabies But it's a pain ... so my daughter-in-law told me that she had put her mother's sewing machine up in the attic and that I could use it there on the weekends and keep my machine at Sarah's during the week. (The sewing machine is a very old Kenmore and the only thing that she has that was her Mom's who passed away a few months before she started dating our son). So I get the machine out of the attic and clean it up...thread it...put in a bobbin...it felt like I was at home with an old Kenmore that I had from 1972 to 1999 when it died and Sears told me it was not fixable. Anyway I put a piece of fabic in and ................ IT ONLY SEWS BACKWARDS!!!!! Did some research online and there may be just a spring broken on the backward button. When I told my DIL she said "Oh, I thought that was the way it was suppose to work." She said she has only used it once to hem a pair of pants. I definitely need to teach her how to use the machine and sew now that they have 2 daughters.

Hope the rest of your week goes better that it has so far
Sheila

Now I'm looking for a place that can "hopefully" fix it...I would like to do that for my DIL in memory of her Mom.
GrammytoMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #254
DMGeurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammytoMany View Post
Oh, Nini...you really do need a break...that black cloud over your head needs to go away!!!! Good luck with the machine and the repair guy. I can't believe he used Super Glue on it.

I've been dragging my machine back and forth to my daughter's house to use. I hook the seat belt around it like it's one of my gbabies But it's a pain ... so my daughter-in-law told me that she had put her mother's sewing machine up in the attic and that I could use it there on the weekends and keep my machine at Sarah's during the week. (The sewing machine is a very old Kenmore and the only thing that she has that was her Mom's who passed away a few months before she started dating our son). So I get the machine out of the attic and clean it up...thread it...put in a bobbin...it felt like I was at home with an old Kenmore that I had from 1972 to 1999 when it died and Sears told me it was not fixable. Anyway I put a piece of fabic in and ................ IT ONLY SEWS BACKWARDS!!!!! Did some research online and there may be just a spring broken on the backward button. When I told my DIL she said "Oh, I thought that was the way it was suppose to work." She said she has only used it once to hem a pair of pants. I definitely need to teach her how to use the machine and sew now that they have 2 daughters.

Hope the rest of your week goes better that it has so far
Sheila

Now I'm looking for a place that can "hopefully" fix it...I would like to do that for my DIL in memory of her Mom.
I am so sorry - but your post made me LOL a bit... I could see myself in the exact same situation before I learned how to sew - not knowing that the machine was sewing backwards.

I hope you are able to fix the machine - everyone is aware of my fondness for vintage machines, so I think it would be wonderful if you could fix it for your DIL - how wonderful that she still has her mom's machine. I would pass on some of my links for fixing vintage machines - but everything I have is for Singers, and I am positive that most of the "guts" are similar, I am sure what you are referring to might be Kenmore specific. If you bring it in and they tell you it can't be repaired, I would definately tell them that you know it can be repaired/you are not interested in trading it in or getting a new machine/if it can't be repaired, you'll find someone who will repair it. Half the time, I think the repair shops tell you they can't repair it in the hope that you will just trade it in... 99% of the vintage machines out there can be repaired and work perfectly for many more years - it's just a matter of the repair shop finding a "donor" machine if the parts aren't orderable any longer - and most shops don't want to go through the hassle... In this instance, it would probably be best to find an OSMG (old sewing machine guy) who has a back room full of parted out machines, and he'd probably have just what you need.

Sorry for the ramble... I enjoy my vintage machines so much, and just the thought of someone else enjoying them as much as I do makes me so excited. And the fact that this machine holds sooo much sentimental value is so wonderful - I would give almost anything to have my mom's old sewing machine - but when I asked my dad about it - he said it was given away years ago.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help, but as I said earlier - most of my knowledge is about vintage Singers and not Kenmores (but I do know there are a lot of vintage Kenmore enthusiasts out there - you might be able to do a Google search and find a message board that could help you out???)

D~ <---- Sorry for the hijack of your thread Nini.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #255
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

D~ <---- Sorry for the hijack of your thread Nini.
LOL! As if your thread hasn't been hijacked a few times! I now feel like I belong! "You like me, you really like me!" (said in my very best Sally Field impersonation.)

Nini

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: