Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #196
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Nini love all your creations and really love that new dress form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
(of course, they have now decided to go with us for our trip)
Nini

Quote:
To those of you who embroider with a machine, this will mean something to you. To every one else... not so much!

I have been wanting to purchase the Embird software for months! It has always been only slightly out of reach. By that I mean I always seem to have only a little over half of the 144 left over each month to get it. I have used the free version and LOVE it.

Well, this month I had 150 left over after all bills were paid and grocery bought. I was so happy...until I realized that that if any small emergency came up I would be up the creek...so I decided to put on my big girl panties and forget it. Then my son came over yesterday and paid me 50 towards the gas money they are supposed to be giving me for picking up my Grand Princess from Pre K each day.

That little boost gave me a small bit of a breathing room for emergencies. (and my emergencies I mean things like running out of milk or bread...nothing major. That would come out of hubby's money!)

So, last night, before heading to mid week Bible Study, I made the plunge and purchased it!

I can now add names to all my designs. I can now merge two designs together and get the best of both designs. I know it is not a huge thing to you...but to me it is mega!

In fact, I am on my way down to the studio to play with my new toy...after I finish the quilt for my niece and the two Disney shirts that I am behind on and .....

Nini

Hmmm.... I have Stitch Era and can't get it to work either. Maybe I will have to look into Embrid because I wish I could combine names too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
I'll be interested to see how it goes. I don't really sew enough to justify buying it, but I seem to have bought a lot of other stuff I don't sew enough to justify buying, so we'll see!
Same here. I keep buying patterns and fabric that I have no use for but I just can't stop myself
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #197
babynala
DIS Veteran

Wow, the quilt is gorgeous. The colors are so bright and cheerful but doesn't seem too babyish so it will be enjoyed for a lifetime. The little onesies are so cute and that Grace dress is amazing. It looks so beautiful on your dress form.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #198
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:

First up a couple of the onesies I made for Mr Trey...

[IMG] dress etc 024 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next, is a couple of the burp cloths I made. Hard to see but they are all lined with flannel.

[IMG] dress etc 023 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

And now a picture of his quilt....oops...I didn't seem to get a finished picture of the quilt, so how about a picture of the almost finished quilt with all the other 'stuff' on top...

[IMG] dress etc 040 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now, just for fun, I'll post one more picture of the latest Grace dress I completed...no particular reason to include this other than I love my new dress form and just like to show it off! LOL!

[IMG] dress outside 017 by ninimorris, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nini

PS...I'll have to clean these pictures up a wee bit later. Gotta run to therapy in a bit!
Love the shirts, burp cloths, dress and quilt. What material did you use for the quilt? I can't tell if it's other than cotton or if it just looks like something different because of the quilting.

Yesterday I started sewing the binding on my quilt. My hand only likes to hold a need for short periods of time.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #199
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Nini, I just love the teeny tiny baby items - that quilt is insanely gorgeous!!! No words to even describe how beautiful it is. And I absolutely love the Grace dress.

D~
Thanks...those onesies are not always fun....so tiny you have to sit and hold it so that the fabric doesn't get eaten by the machine. My arthritis doesn't let me do that for more than a few minutes... and most of the designs take a wee bit more time! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Nini those are just so cute, the dress is just gorgeous and I adore your dress form
My daughter named the dress form Alexandra. (when I put on boys stuff the name changes to Alex!) I am already trying to justify getting another size! It is almost like dressing dolls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Nini love all your creations and really love that new dress form.

Hmmm.... I have Stitch Era and can't get it to work either. Maybe I will have to look into Embrid because I wish I could combine names too.

Same here. I keep buying patterns and fabric that I have no use for but I just can't stop myself
To show you how easy the Embird is to use...on my Animal Kingdom shirt. I used the tree of life from one designer and then took another designers wording and added them together. Took all of 5 minutes. Would have been a lot less, but I was trying to do it on a tiny netbook. my screen wasn't big enough to see what I was doing. Today I needed to change the way the wording on something I was doing for a customer and it took just a couple of seconds (literally) to change the font around so that it looked more like what was in my mind's eye! I love that software...almost (but not quite) enough to learn how to digitize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Wow, the quilt is gorgeous. The colors are so bright and cheerful but doesn't seem too babyish so it will be enjoyed for a lifetime. The little onesies are so cute and that Grace dress is amazing. It looks so beautiful on your dress form.
Thanks...the new mom wanted blues and greens with frogs and dragonflys. Personally I think my dragon fly ended up more like a butterfly, but hopefully she likes it. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to her before Mr Trey makes his entrance into the world... her OB said it was only a matter of hours!

Quote:
Love the shirts, burp cloths, dress and quilt. What material did you use for the quilt? I can't tell if it's other than cotton or if it just looks like something different because of the quilting.

Yesterday I started sewing the binding on my quilt. My hand only likes to hold a need for short periods of time.
Thanks Cheryl... the quilt was actually started with one of those fat quarter packs from WalMart... and then I added a few to it. The pack only had 7 FQs and I needed 9. The first extras I bought didn't work right after I got home...they were more purple. So I ended up getting way too much fabric! (so what is new with that!)

You could not pay me enough to put a binding on a quilt by HAND! Binding is my least favorite part of the whole process. I would only use a machine.... I used to use my quilter, but when you do that you can only put the binding on one way...and I like to sew the top on last. That way it hides more mistakes!

A little of Disney drama...I decided I do not like the TA we are stuck with. I really want to go back to my old one...but she won't take another agent's trip (some people do have morals!!) So, I decided to go straight to Disney and see what I could do. The only way Disney can take it back is if the TA will send me the right form so I can delete her. How much you want to bet she is going to drag her feet on it!?!?

So hoping for free dining in November so I don't have to deal with this!

That is enough complaining! Only happy thoughts!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #200
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Love all of it Nini! You are so awesome! Want to adopt a few more grandkids and maybe a daughter to sew for
sl_underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #201
cogero
DIS Veteran

Nini sorry you don't have a Travel Agent you like. That makes it difficult.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #202
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

I hope you are able to get your TA switched...

D~
DMGeurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #203
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Hope it's ok, I'm coming over from Lora's PTR. It's nice to find other moms homeschooling with special needs.

Sorry to read about the accident. So tragic for you all.

I can relate to life changing in an instant. One day I had a healthy, happy little soccer player. And on June 21, 2010 (Father's Day) our lives changed when I walked by my son's bed and saw him for the first time having a seizure. Before I knew it he stopped breathing and dh was performing CPR on him, while I was on the phone with 911. That seizure changed his personality and everything, and was the trigger for all his sensory issues.

I need to go back and read your PTR. You all who sew amaze me. I have enough trouble sewing on a button.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #204
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A little of Disney drama...I decided I do not like the TA we are stuck with. I really want to go back to my old one...but she won't take another agent's trip (some people do have morals!!) So, I decided to go straight to Disney and see what I could do. The only way Disney can take it back is if the TA will send me the right form so I can delete her. How much you want to bet she is going to drag her feet on it!?!?

Nini
If your TA is with a company (ie AAA, or similar), have a manager get you the form if she does not get it to you in a timely manner. If this is not a feasible option (independent TA within a company or similar), then call Disney back and explain that you need to know where you can get a form since your TA is being uncooperative. I can not confirm that accuracy, but I've had someone (I think it was my last TA -- we used to chat a lot) tell me that you can bypass the TA and take over your reservation. Odds are, it's a general form that can be downloaded (or sent by Disney) that you can fill out and submit. I've heard of people who book and NEVER hear back from their TAs and are able to take back control, so I'm almost certain that if she doesn't respond in a timely manner, you can take matters into your own hands.

If you call back and the CM won't or can't assist, ask to speak to a supervisor (be persistent). G'luck in taking control of your reservation!!!

And very sorry to hear you aren't liking your TA. I didn't like my first TA. I vowed to never use AAA again afterwards, but went back and got a NEW TA and fell in love with her.

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #205
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To show you how easy the Embird is to use...on my Animal Kingdom shirt. I used the tree of life from one designer and then took another designers wording and added them together. Took all of 5 minutes. Would have been a lot less, but I was trying to do it on a tiny netbook. my screen wasn't big enough to see what I was doing. Today I needed to change the way the wording on something I was doing for a customer and it took just a couple of seconds (literally) to change the font around so that it looked more like what was in my mind's eye! I love that software...almost (but not quite) enough to learn how to digitize...

Thanks Cheryl... the quilt was actually started with one of those fat quarter packs from WalMart... and then I added a few to it. The pack only had 7 FQs and I needed 9. The first extras I bought didn't work right after I got home...they were more purple. So I ended up getting way too much fabric! (so what is new with that!)

You could not pay me enough to put a binding on a quilt by HAND! Binding is my least favorite part of the whole process. I would only use a machine.... I used to use my quilter, but when you do that you can only put the binding on one way...and I like to sew the top on last. That way it hides more mistakes!

Nini
Embird (Embrid? I can never remember) sounds promising.

I'm with you about hand sewing the binding. Last year they taught me to do "pillowcase(?)" quilts and that's what my next ones will be. As I've been sewing it has occured to me that these quilts need to be sturdier than display quilts, but I don't know if that's what Mother Superior (I guess it's not very nice to call her that) thinks. I think she wants quilt show perfection on all of them.

Boo about not liking your travel agent. Hope it all works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Hope it's ok, I'm coming over from Lora's PTR. It's nice to find other moms homeschooling with special needs.

I can relate to life changing in an instant. One day I had a healthy, happy little soccer player. And on June 21, 2010 (Father's Day) our lives changed when I walked by my son's bed and saw him for the first time having a seizure. Before I knew it he stopped breathing and dh was performing CPR on him, while I was on the phone with 911. That seizure changed his personality and everything, and was the trigger for all his sensory issues.

I need to go back and read your PTR. You all who sew amaze me. I have enough trouble sewing on a button.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #206
DMGeurts

Quote:

I just wanted to - I can't imagine...

D~
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #207
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Do you know what is worse than reading your own PTR? It is reading it for a second time because when my computer decided to do a semi crash it lost all my quotes! (which is a good thing, since it reset itself to an earlier time before the problem occurred! At least I hadn't lost anything important...since my wonderful Daughter in law gave me an external hard drive for Christmas and I had manually backed up just before it started acting up! Of course it automatically backs up each time I turn the computer on, but I like to be double sure!)

Oh and back up your computer frequently! That is my public service announcement for the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Love all of it Nini! You are so awesome! Want to adopt a few more grandkids and maybe a daughter to sew for
So...I guess the fact that I am always stealing grand kids is now a well known fact! Seriously! Since I am so enjoying making onesies and burpies lately I have adopted three new grand babies. I say it is because I need models...but I only have ONE modeled picture! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Nini sorry you don't have a Travel Agent you like. That makes it difficult.
Quote:
I hope you are able to get your TA switched...

D~
Since it is going to be a chore to get it switched over, I have a mini plan in place. First, I am calling my regular TA and on Feb 1 we are putting the down payment for a November date. We are seriously looking at the budget to see if we can swing it without free dining. We are only 2000 off. However, if we aren't able...we will also book (or rebook depending on how you look at it) our September dates if and when free dining is offered in September. Once I have another set date with Free Dining...I will cancel the one with the bad TA!

A bit convoluted, but I think it will work. But at least I have learned a valuable lesson.
Just because the TA is saying she is doing 'xyz' for charity...stick with a sure thing. Someone who has proved herself and is trustworthy!

(and maybe I need to go ahead and go to TA school after all... in my 'spare' time)

Quote:

Welcome! (I would add the cute little smilie...but it is 5 am and I feel like it is Monday!)

By the way...sewing on buttons is the HARDEST thing EVER! Sewing is much easier ... and much more creative and fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
If your TA is with a company (ie AAA, or similar), have a manager get you the form if she does not get it to you in a timely manner. If this is not a feasible option (independent TA within a company or similar), then call Disney back and explain that you need to know where you can get a form since your TA is being uncooperative. I can not confirm that accuracy, but I've had someone (I think it was my last TA -- we used to chat a lot) tell me that you can bypass the TA and take over your reservation. Odds are, it's a general form that can be downloaded (or sent by Disney) that you can fill out and submit. I've heard of people who book and NEVER hear back from their TAs and are able to take back control, so I'm almost certain that if she doesn't respond in a timely manner, you can take matters into your own hands.

If you call back and the CM won't or can't assist, ask to speak to a supervisor (be persistent). G'luck in taking control of your reservation!!!

And very sorry to hear you aren't liking your TA. I didn't like my first TA. I vowed to never use AAA again afterwards, but went back and got a NEW TA and fell in love with her.
The problem TA is a well known person, so I am purposely not naming names or giving too much more info on her. She may be a nice person to deal with and be a great TA. I only know that in THIS particular situation, she lied. She is not delivering on what she offered (and from all indications is not planning to...guess she is hoping we won't 'remember' what she promised!)

Anyway, I think we have it figured out what we are going to do...see above... I just wish (only sort of ) that my favorite TA wasn't so ethical! Then she would take over our reservation and everything would be ok!

Quote:
Embird (Embrid? I can never remember) sounds promising.

I'm with you about hand sewing the binding. Last year they taught me to do "pillowcase(?)" quilts and that's what my next ones will be. As I've been sewing it has occured to me that these quilts need to be sturdier than display quilts, but I don't know if that's what Mother Superior (I guess it's not very nice to call her that) thinks. I think she wants quilt show perfection on all of them.

Boo about not liking your travel agent. Hope it all works out.

OIK...the old way of doing the pillowcase type of quilts was called 'birthing a quilt' I'm sure you will be able to see the similarities! LOL!~ That was the way I was taught to do them...and then we tied them as opposed to quilting them. It didn't take too many King sized quilt to determine that wasn't going to work for me!

My DD11 and I poured over all the breakfast menus of all the TS restaurants over the weekend. We decided we like the menu from Tusker House the best, so we will be going with the plan of having breakfast there on one of our Animal Kingdom days (using up the extra TS we will have since we are eating CS on our first night there)

We 'cheat' on our CS meals. OK, we don't really cheat, since we are paying for the dining plan and can use them the way we want! We get two meals and split between me and the two kids. Since Mr D doesn't drink with his meal, we don't even need an extra drink (but we do get a cup of ice water just in case) and the three of us still have too much to eat! So we are able to 'save' one credit each meal. We either use these 'saved' meals as breakfast in the parks. For that, we usually get only 2 breakfasts for all 4 people. Then any credits left, we eat a CS breakfast at our resort on the morning we leave.

My son and daughter in law called me last night to let me know they have booked their vacation...on MY November dates! Should be interesting!

Today I get to work on our first shirt for Epcot. I have a vision, we will see how well it works! Plus, my grown daughter noticed I forgot to put a label on the quilt for my niece's new baby (who still isn't here...Mom has been having contractions for almost a week now. Doctor said he will come this week.... or they will induce later this week) I designed the label and stitched it out, when same grown daughter informed me the scale was off...so I had to wait for my niece to decide if she liked it or not....she did so now I have to add the label.

Plus we have two tests today in homeschool and are starting our unit work on Magic Kingdom. Should be a fun day!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #208
DMGeurts

Wow - you've been busy Nini - I was wondering where you were. I am glad your PC was properly backed up and you were able to resore it.

I am glad you've figured out a way around the lazy TA, and hopefully it all works in your favor that you get FD.

D~
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #209
DMGeurts

Double post.

D~
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #210
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Double post.

D~
There goes D trying to up her post count!

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: